How Did Blink-182 Become So Influential?

How Did Blink-182 Become So Influential?

There are 24 comments on the VH1 News story from Feb 11, 2009, titled How Did Blink-182 Become So Influential?. In it, VH1 News reports that:

Perhaps without even knowing it - and definitely without ever really trying - Blink-182 have somehow become one of the most influential bands of the past 20 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at VH1 News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Arnold

Plymouth, PA

#1 Feb 16, 2009
The reason they became so popular is because of their Enenma of the State album.

And the reason they became so influential is because, they made music for fun, and not for money.
fluke

Gosport, UK

#2 Feb 17, 2009
They may be popular, after all they are a "pop" band, but influential? Unless by that they mean that they influenced a new generation of bland pop boy bands?
Michael Leonard

Vineland, NJ

#3 Feb 17, 2009
I believe that they influenced bands such as Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, and bands in that sort of bad punk more pop music category. Blink 182 is a first and only, and others try to be like them too much, and it's not working for them, or yas it is, i guess i just dont like it
matt

Pueblo, CO

#4 Feb 22, 2009
Michael Leonard wrote:
I believe that they influenced bands such as Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, and bands in that sort of bad punk more pop music category. Blink 182 is a first and only, and others try to be like them too much, and it's not working for them, or yas it is, i guess i just dont like it
Fall out boy also has fun with it its not about the money for them ether.
Scotty

Conyers, GA

#5 Feb 27, 2009
matt wrote:
<quoted text>
Fall out boy also has fun with it its not about the money for them ether.
Fall Out Boy are totally about money.
Dylan

United States

#6 Mar 11, 2009
Anyone want 2 start a blink cover band?
Miller Marshall

Woronora, Australia

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Dylan wrote:
Anyone want 2 start a blink cover band?
Way ahead of you...
James

Bayonne, NJ

#8 Mar 16, 2009
no joke, about 75% of modern rock bands started off as blink cover bands... haha

<3 blink
Jikes

United States

#9 Mar 16, 2009
The reason blink will be one of the all time great bands (if they stay together and continue to make music) is because of a few very simple reasons.

1, they love making music. Even before blink split up all the members were involved in various types of other music related projects. Not for a paycheck, just for fun. Then after the split, they all found new outfits to make music with.

2, Blink's sound evolves. Some bands spend their whole record contract trying to make the same music and have it sound the same. We all know a few bands who are just stuck making the same music. Blink isnt afraid to evolve their music to sound how they want it to. Blink's last self titled album is a prime example of this. I think we can expect a new album to have the same "blink flavor" but sound very different from the earlier albums, and will probably be a further evolution of the self titled album.

3, Blink has been around for a ling time. If they truly have sorted out there problems, then i think we can expect them to be around and making music together for hopefully a long time.

These are the reasons why i think blink is, and will be an influential band. I really like the last album, and i hope the new music they make isnt constricted to conform to any requirements. As fans, everyone should learn to respectfully let them make music sound however they want. Personally, i hope they continue to take is in the direction they were going with the last album. As a life long blink fan, the last album was IMO the best yet.
triiishaa

Auckland, New Zealand

#10 Mar 26, 2009
blink-182 r the shiz

“It's cool to hate.”

Since: Oct 08

Hemet, CA

#12 Apr 15, 2009
Jikes wrote:
The reason blink will be one of the all time great bands (if they stay together and continue to make music) is because of a few very simple reasons.
1, they love making music. Even before blink split up all the members were involved in various types of other music related projects. Not for a paycheck, just for fun. Then after the split, they all found new outfits to make music with.
2, Blink's sound evolves. Some bands spend their whole record contract trying to make the same music and have it sound the same. We all know a few bands who are just stuck making the same music. Blink isnt afraid to evolve their music to sound how they want it to. Blink's last self titled album is a prime example of this. I think we can expect a new album to have the same "blink flavor" but sound very different from the earlier albums, and will probably be a further evolution of the self titled album.
3, Blink has been around for a ling time. If they truly have sorted out there problems, then i think we can expect them to be around and making music together for hopefully a long time.
These are the reasons why i think blink is, and will be an influential band. I really like the last album, and i hope the new music they make isnt constricted to conform to any requirements. As fans, everyone should learn to respectfully let them make music sound however they want. Personally, i hope they continue to take is in the direction they were going with the last album. As a life long blink fan, the last album was IMO the best yet.
You have my respect.
AVA

Southend-on-sea, UK

#13 Apr 23, 2009
The thing is ive been thinking, its not blink that became influential, but the alter ego of tom delonge, AVA,
Quish_ blink 182

Guatemala City, Guatemala

#14 Apr 26, 2009
The thing is that blink 182 has music that all can relay to.. and thatīs because blink 182īs music is fun and everybody likes to have fun with it, another reason is that the music of blin 182 is a lil bit anarquist, they donīt care if it has sweet riffs or a graet solo or a music base in general , blink 182 just likes to make music, no matter what does it talk about, just for the one and only reason, that is giving a kick ass song that public can hear like and have fun and have a laugh about, thatīs why is so influential because the theme of blink was just to make people laugh and have fun. many band could be said to have a bit of a style as blink,but they are never gonna have the same influential theme as blink 182.
BLink is the best!! I hope they get through the problems and continue to give us those great songs that makes us be happy and enthusiastic!!
Andrea

Bayonne, NJ

#15 Jun 11, 2010
They're a good band that makes good music, maybe?
ICL

Oakhurst, CA

#16 Jun 11, 2010
there so influential because they started off the way a band starts, or should start, because they loved music and liked playing together. they obviously didtn think that they would get famous from it i mean come on it was all about fun and i think that by keeping it that way they have been able to influence so many because the one thing that everybody can relate to is that they like having fun so a lot of ppl like them and the way that they present it makes many young musicians like them so of course theyve influenced a generation when you influence the majority of young ppl its just a given

“The cure is the disease....”

Since: Nov 09

Who knows who cares

#17 Jun 14, 2010
ROTFLMFAO @ the "oh these bands aren't in it for the money, its for the music" shit. Any band thats played on mainstream radio didn't aim to make it to mainstream radio just for the musics sake. Every band thats ever been played on regular radio or even *cringe* MTV has done it strictly for the money. And don't fucking kid yourselves either that they "did it for the fans". More exposure=more listeners. More listeners=more dumb idiots who will buy their crap. Boy bands gotta pull in a lot of good cash though. A ton of tweenie/teenie idiots that go out and buy their crap, thats a managers dream. Oh well. I know noone will listen to me. Because most of you are little kiddies that does whats considered "cool" or "in". Why? Because its forcefed to you by the media. The only ones you can pity in this situation is yourself. Your adult persona will look back on these years in shame. Oh well.
Derek

Ottawa, Canada

#18 Sep 6, 2010
LOL @deadly_disease your life must suck ass.
Jonny Gee

Columbia, MO

#19 Sep 29, 2010
I agree with you, Deadly_Disease. Have you heard the band NOFX? Now that's where it's at. They could care less about people listening to their songs, they just play to have fun, and love it. Don't get me wrong, I love blink, but they are in it just for the money, which is what opened my eyes to a whooe bunch of -underground' bands that aren't known at all, therefor aren't mainstream, which makes the band's music way better!

“It's cool to hate.”

Since: Oct 08

Hemet, CA

#20 Sep 29, 2010
Deadly_Disease wrote:
ROTFLMFAO @ the "oh these bands aren't in it for the money, its for the music" shit. Any band thats played on mainstream radio didn't aim to make it to mainstream radio just for the musics sake. Every band thats ever been played on regular radio or even *cringe* MTV has done it strictly for the money. And don't fucking kid yourselves either that they "did it for the fans". More exposure=more listeners. More listeners=more dumb idiots who will buy their crap. Boy bands gotta pull in a lot of good cash though. A ton of tweenie/teenie idiots that go out and buy their crap, thats a managers dream. Oh well. I know noone will listen to me. Because most of you are little kiddies that does whats considered "cool" or "in". Why? Because its forcefed to you by the media. The only ones you can pity in this situation is yourself. Your adult persona will look back on these years in shame. Oh well.
I think most mainstream bands want money.
Who doesn't want money?
But I don't believe that blink-182 is in it just for that.
They're in it because they love playing music.
If they were there JUST because of money, they would surely get bored and drop it by the time they got enough cash to set them for life.
And god knows they do.

Also, I'm not sure about other people, but where I live, blink-182 could not be more un-cool.
I have like four friends because everyone hates blink.

So, I will not look back and be ashamed.
I'll look back and be proud that I stuck with blink through the ridicule.

One more thing... blink-182 got me into other rad bands like NOFX, Descendents, Bad Religion, and such.
I may have never listened to them if it weren't for blink.
Hunter

Newcastle, Australia

#21 Oct 27, 2010
I actually have a whole blog written on this subject! Come and comment it and talk about blink. I need fellow fans lol. I am only new!

Hi,
Mine is Puck Finn and Noah, they are all bad ass.

I have just written a blog about glee. You should come check it out, its got my full opinion on the show along with some predictions of what might happen. I HAVE A LOT OF RUMORS FROM PEOPLE I KNOW! I have heard a few leaks from people I know aswell. SUBSCRIBE IF YOU LIKE IT! I am only new and I want my glee information to get out there some how. I knew fellow glee fans would listen. Well I hope at least! PUT YOUR OPINION OUT THERE AS WELL IN THE COMMENTS! SUBSCRIBE!

http://thoughtsofapapertiger.blogspot.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Estate sale in Ramona on Thursday 7/30 Jul 29 Matt 1
El cajon orphans gang (May '11) Jul 24 Ahm 31
News Oceanside is stepping up its game to attract to... Jul 18 obummer451 1
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) Jul 18 ShAkEs 441
Review: Jim's Mobile RV Repair Jun '15 sczyk 1
News City of Poway on list of safest in state Jun '15 Innovative Safety 1
Innovative Safety in Poway Jun '15 Innovative Safety 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poway Mortgages