Low-income residents to receive free ...

Low-income residents to receive free Christmas trees

There are 250 comments on the North County Times story from Nov 23, 2006, titled Low-income residents to receive free Christmas trees. In it, North County Times reports that:

Dozens of the city's low-income families will have Christmas trees this year even though they cannot afford them, thanks to a deal the city made with a commercial Christmas tree grower.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Times.

mrLOLville

San Diego, CA

#187 Dec 5, 2011
Working hard is the new stupid. Working hard doesn't work anymore, didn't anyone get the memo ? People work their ass off and do all the right things and still get nothing and shit on. Today it's about who you know and who you blow, nothing else matters. A college degree is a joke, working hard will get you broke. The fools are who still believe in the old religion are dying off.
Tycoon

United States

#188 Dec 5, 2011
jackle wrote:
<quoted text>
Selling crack to poor dumb black kids must be good business eh there skippy ?
If they have legitimate U. S. Currency you better believe it jackleass.
proud mom

United States

#189 Dec 7, 2011
Iam a very hard working mother and will spin my last dime on my kids give them my last but to my sandwich there is nothing wrong asking for a little help if you need it.My kids will know how to wrk hard by seeing me work hard.I wanna thank the program that helps familys out there have a good Christmas and put a smile on our children faces:)and to the ones that have nothing nice to say have a good Christmas and u never know when u will need help.....
proud mom

United States

#190 Dec 7, 2011
Graete wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't YOU get a job if your hubbie can't work? Sell some of your stuff and buy a tree etc. get off your brain and think...do some work and pay your own way through life.
that is harsh her husband fought for all of us and if they need help so what they deserve it...u must ,be a miserable person get some help.....
a real opinion

Antioch, TN

#191 Dec 9, 2011
you have absolutely no clue as to what comes out of your mouth. just because you were lucky enogh to get 2 jobs doesnt mean everyone else is. and for your opinion,if you got 5 kids, im pretty sure you took welfare at one point in time. if you didnt get help with 5 kids being a single mom....you are retarded. last but not least...why are you on here nagging and complaining to these people. that aint what they posted things for. and thats not so much christmas spirit is it? your so quick to jump at what christmas is about....its damn sure not about downtalking people who appear lesser than you so you can show off how big bad and mighty you are. now grow up, get a life, and get off the computer and take care of your 5 kids that you dont even have. goodday
A single Mom wrote:
What a bunch of whiny B.S'ers! I am raising FIVE kids by myself and we DON"T take welfare or handouts! If you can't afford a tree, so what? That's not what Christmas is all about!!!! And if you are so poor as you claim, why would you want a tree instead of food or clothes????? Doesn't make sense does it?
You are all a bunch of "gimmees" and "youowemees" and are teaching your children all wrong! The holidays are about God and family, not getting STUFF! Why don't you stop acting as if people OWE you something and start actually having some self respect and take care of yourself! Go to parades, bake cookies, sing carols, go to free events, attend church, make a tree out of paper,( my kids and I do when we have no money,one year we decorated the broom),make homemade gifts, there are a lot of things you can do and keep your pride too!
Stop being beggars! You think the taxpayers owe you, well they don't. They have their families, too, and should not have to be forced to feed everyone who makes poor choices, or is lazy, or has a crisis every two minutes in their lives. Helping someone for a short time is one thing but the middle class in this country are drowning and the country is in trouble economically and most people are worried about the future. It is not fair to expect others to take care of you! Get away from the TV and help yourselves! Teach your children independence! And how to be motivated and creative! Mine are! And if you are so poor, how did you get a computer to type here? Christmas doesn't belong to the rich or middle class! It belongs to everyone! It isn't about STUFF! It's about JESUS! And HE doesn't charge a thing!
Stop whining about your life and start seeing the positive in it. You live in the U.S. and that is something to really be grateful for. You have your kids? Now you have that to be grateful for! You are breathing and able to write on this site? GOOD! Then write a book or take a college class online! Not living on the streets? Then you are blessed. STOP BAWLING AND START YOUR LIFE ON A BETTER ROAD! GO!
YOU JUDGERS-----LIST EN UP

Alameda, CA

#192 Dec 10, 2011
BLESSED619 wrote:
Wow, Im really late on these comments but damn. I understand some of you dont feel like ppl need help or should ask for it, but they do. Who r u to say they ask for handouts year after year, do u know them? I dont think so. WHERE IS YOUR CHRISTMAS SPIRIT??? I am sorry but i am low income too and need help. I have been in that place where i didnt need help too. Even now, after i recieved a tree from a friend of mine, I would give my last $$$ for a needy family who really needs it.I am sure that you ladies who are saying such mean things must not have got help before and u say God Bless after being so mean and heartless.....God was never GREEDY or HEARTLESS.These programs were designed to help those in need and if you dont need help y r you even on here??????
Why are they even on here? To pass judgement and show their ignorance. Beware ... KARMA has a way of biting you on the ass. I hope one day you go broke and end up needing someone for something. And i hope they shit on you as you are shitting on these nice people who need a hand now.
psa

San Diego, CA

#193 Dec 11, 2011
Attention Thrifty Losers: Return your $5,000 plasma TV and get a $20 christmas tree.
Helping Others

San Diego, CA

#194 Dec 15, 2011
I am a stay home mom / student with 5 kids. My husband works hard to provide for our family, but it is not always enough. We are not on welfare, even though we could qualify. We live a modest life because I feel it is more important to stay home and raise quality kids than to go to work and give quality gifts. I could of easily had 1 kid and gave them the "american dream", but instead I have 5 kids and they have love, the most important gift you can give anyone. I say all this to say that I still give to the poor, to my church, to family, and to friends and I don't think it's wrong to give trees to parents. It's not about the parents, it's about the kids.
Helping Others

San Diego, CA

#195 Dec 15, 2011
William wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE BEGGING, YOU CLOWN!!!
You have a house, cars, free education and healthcare provided to you from the TAXPAYERS of this country and you still want more???
Tell your hubby to mow some lawns or shovel some sidewalks and buy your family a tree! He can start HIS OWN BUSINESS you know!
Education is not always free
Christmas is Gone here

Harbor City, CA

#196 Dec 16, 2011
Hi everyone. I hate to debate with any of you. My husband abaned me and my adopted daughter who is 11 years old. Honer student. He used up all of my savings as well, been an alcohlic for a long while. A working one as well. When I caught him on drugs, he fought me. I ran afraid, with my child. To be here and there with people, until I get the help. I have worked since I was 15years old. My last employment was with an accounting. For 12years. Which in 2009 was laid off of work. Now that we are homeless and living with my oldest daughter and her husband, wich the place belongs to his father. We are only allowed to stay till after christmas. This will be the first time ever that my little girl has no christmas tree, nor anything for christmas. I have no choice but to get support from the goverment or state. My long life tax money was well spent on others. Love and Light Blessings to all.
3 job mom

San Diego, CA

#197 Dec 16, 2011
Way to go "Single Mom!" I am not surprised by Oriah Lee's comments - she is living in Canada! Where the government run healthcare system is sending thousands across our border so they might actually be treated and live! It is hard to see the forest for the trees when you are so embedded in a government nanny state.
Tell it to Oprah

San Diego, CA

#198 Dec 16, 2011
Christmas is Gone here wrote:
Hi everyone. I hate to debate with any of you. My husband abaned me and my adopted daughter who is 11 years old. Honer student. He used up all of my savings as well, been an alcohlic for a long while. A working one as well. When I caught him on drugs, he fought me. I ran afraid, with my child. To be here and there with people, until I get the help. I have worked since I was 15years old. My last employment was with an accounting. For 12years. Which in 2009 was laid off of work. Now that we are homeless and living with my oldest daughter and her husband, wich the place belongs to his father. We are only allowed to stay till after christmas. This will be the first time ever that my little girl has no christmas tree, nor anything for christmas. I have no choice but to get support from the goverment or state. My long life tax money was well spent on others. Love and Light Blessings to all.
Oprah is the only one who gives a blah blah
Needy

Plain City, OH

#199 Dec 18, 2011
I would really like a Christmas tree and I do not have the money to buy one. I'm a single, broke full time college student. Help?
Melly

United States

#201 Dec 18, 2011
I want FREE stuff too. this is my list.
house
cars
clothes
money
furniture
medical
schooling
bus fare
and more.

oh wait , i already got all this cause im on WELFARE!
gotome

San Diego, CA

#202 Dec 20, 2011
Melly wrote:
I want FREE stuff too. this is my list.
house
cars
clothes
money
furniture
medical
schooling
bus fare
and more.
oh wait , i already got all this cause im on WELFARE!
i want a taxpayer to buy me a rolls royce!
win win

San Diego, CA

#203 Dec 20, 2011
you want a free christmas tree and I want a freeblowjob sounds like a win win.
Santa Says

San Diego, CA

#204 Dec 20, 2011
Ho Ho Ho Fsuck You!!! Buy your own God Damn tree...
San Diego Loco Local

United States

#205 Mar 12, 2012
mrLOLville wrote:
Working hard is the new stupid. Working hard doesn't work anymore, didn't anyone get the memo ? People work their ass off and do all the right things and still get nothing and shit on. Today it's about who you know and who you blow, nothing else matters. A college degree is a joke, working hard will get you broke. The fools are who still believe in the old religion are dying off.
You have character now!You are close to being well off!Read between the lines!A college degree didn't bite you!You are in the prime of your life!

It's to easy...OH...boo hoo I'm a little fruitloop,I give up,because life didn't go exactly the way I planned!I'm a little sissy homie!Straighten up...you'll do just fine!

No one,except you,has ever been there!

Ex San Diego Surf cat;Myrtle Beach,South Carolina
Julez

Spring Valley, CA

#206 Nov 20, 2012
a single mom wrote:
I am raising 5 kids on my own with NO handouts. I am NOT on any assistance program even though we qualify for many. I will NOT raise my kids to be freeloaders and think others should support them. I work TWO jobs to care for them and would NEVER take money from anyone else to feed MY kids. Thats just not the right thing to do and it's not fair to those who pay taxes. If you can't pay your bills then FIX the problems in your life and don't expect others to pay for your mistakes! Have some pride and self respect for God's sakes! And what are you teaching your kids?
I wish that you could be more understanding of this sensitive issue. I don't like to see people look at this as a personal problem or lack of ambition. This is a huge social issue. It is all due to socieoeconomics. A person who is born into poverty or into a working class family will most likely remain in that income bracket for the duration of their life. They are what we call the working poor. They work thankless jobs and most do indeed work hard, however there there is little thanks in this. They remain poor, living paycheck to paycheck. There are many hidden injuries that most of us don't see, for instance the inability to schedule interviews because time off from the current job is needed which can cause great conflict at work. If they take the chance and call off or request off for an interview for a job they don't get, they are putting their current job at risk. I understand that opportunity is available to us all, however we cannot all compete for numerous reasons, such as lack of transportation or lack of sufficient clothing for the position.
I understand ur frustration, but if u need help than get it if it is available. Just because you accept the help does not make u a low-class person. It makes u human. We all need help sometimes. The issues that u and many others face is not ur fault. It is how the system is designed, I myself am a single mother. My family is al skilled workers. I am the only one that has actually obtained a college degree. I am actually working on my third degree, which will be in law, with my PhD in Justice Studies. I have gone through many trials and tribulations throughout the duration. I will say I actually believe that I have had it harder than some, especially those that were born with some sort of inherited wealth. I wanted to go to Stanford, but I could not afford it. My GPA is 3.86, I applied for many scholarships, but I received that would cover the tuition. Does that mean that I didn't try hard enough or that I was lazy? Of course not, but I do know that kids that came from money with lower GPA's than mine were admitted. That is another example of a social issue. What we need to realize is not all the same doors are open for everybody no matter how hard we work for it. It is a big fallacy to believe if we work hard enough anything is possible. The possibilities always have limits. It is just reality. There will never be equality in anything. Look at yourself, u said u are working 2 jobs and still can't get ahead. U r part of the working poor. U are working 2 thankless jobs. Can u imagine doing this forever, can u imagine ur kids doing the same thing? Chances are this is it! I know it seems negative but it is true. The only way out of this cycle is to understand this cycle. We must all stop pointing fingers and blaming. We must acknowledge the bigger picture, n recognize this as a urgent social issue. The only way out is through education and accepting the extra help sometimes. Remember that spending time with ur kids is extremely important and working 2 jobs takes from that. Understand that too is a hidden injury that ur kids feel when ur not home. Im not trying to make u feel guilty. I just want u to see whats really happening. There r more people than not that truly need the help. Ur not alone, don't b afraid to reach out! Get informed, volunteer at homeless shelters, hear their story.
Julez

Spring Valley, CA

#207 Nov 20, 2012
I wish that you could be more understanding of this sensitive issue. I don't like to see people look at this as a personal problem or lack of ambition. This is a huge social issue. It is all due to socieoeconomics. A person who is born into poverty or into a working class family will most likely remain in that income bracket for the duration of their life. They are what we call the working poor. They work thankless jobs and most do indeed work hard, however there there is little thanks in this. They remain poor, living paycheck to paycheck. There are many hidden injuries that most of us don't see, for instance the inability to schedule interviews because time off from the current job is needed which can cause great conflict at work. If they take the chance and call off or request off for an interview for a job they don't get, they are putting their current job at risk. I understand that opportunity is available to us all, however we cannot all compete for numerous reasons, such as lack of transportation or lack of sufficient clothing for the position.
I understand ur frustration, but if u need help than get it if it is available. Just because you accept the help does not make u a low-class person. It makes u human. We all need help sometimes. The issues that u and many others face is not ur fault. It is how the system is designed, I myself am a single mother. My family is al skilled workers. I am the only one that has actually obtained a college degree. I am actually working on my third degree, which will be in law, with my PhD in Justice Studies. I have gone through many trials and tribulations throughout the duration. I will say I actually believe that I have had it harder than some, especially those that were born with some sort of inherited wealth. I wanted to go to Stanford, but I could not afford it. My GPA is 3.86, I applied for many scholarships, but I received that would cover the tuition. Does that mean that I didn't try hard enough or that I was lazy? Of course not, but I do know that kids that came from money with lower GPA's than mine were admitted. That is another example of a social issue. What we need to realize is not all the same doors are open for everybody no matter how hard we work for it. It is a big fallacy to believe if we work hard enough anything is possible. The possibilities always have limits. It is just reality. There will never be equality in anything. Look at yourself, u said u are working 2 jobs and still can't get ahead. U r part of the working poor. U are working 2 thankless jobs. Can u imagine doing this forever, can u imagine ur kids doing the same thing? Chances are this is it! I know it seems negative but it is true. The only way out of this cycle is to understand this cycle. We must all stop pointing fingers and blaming. We must acknowledge the bigger picture, n recognize this as a urgent social issue. The only way out is through education and accepting the extra help sometimes. Remember that spending time with ur kids is extremely important and working 2 jobs takes from that. Understand that too is a hidden injury that ur kids feel when ur not home. Im not trying to make u feel guilty. I just want u to see whats really happening. There r more people than not that truly need the help. Ur not alone, don't b afraid to reach out! Get informed, volunteer at homeless shelters, hear their story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) 1 hr 1doggy5 477
El cajon orphans gang (May '11) 20 hr Capone 42
News John Monti Sues Claudia Smith, Day Laborers, an... (Apr '08) Nov 30 BOOTYEATER111 6
levas stay indoors! (Jun '08) Nov 28 Capone 50
News 21-Year-Old Arrested in Homicide of Santee Woman Nov 28 San Diego 1
Review: Allied Postal Products, llc Nov 24 Bill 1
News 2 Teenagers Stabbed In El Cajon (May '06) Nov 23 Goofy oc 348

Poway Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poway Mortgages