CCSD names Epperson as superintendent

CCSD names Epperson as superintendent

There are 126 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from May 14, 2009, titled CCSD names Epperson as superintendent. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

With a unanimous nod of approval, the Central Consolidated School District's governing board voted Thursday to employ Gregg Epperson as superintendent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
sigh of relief

Albuquerque, NM

#1 May 15, 2009
YEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Best choice made by the board. Now let's continue moving forward with more positive leadership decisions.
RPG1967

Tuba City, AZ

#2 May 15, 2009
Great choice! Now we don't have to worry about uncles, brothers, sisters and other relative getting hired not because of qualifications but just because they are related. Just ask any Chapters. Education is the ladder someone said.
The Right Choice

United States

#3 May 15, 2009
RPG1967 wrote:
Great choice! Now we don't have to worry about uncles, brothers, sisters and other relative getting hired not because of qualifications but just because they are related. Just ask any Chapters. Education is the ladder someone said.
and Hubbies, LOL
Michael

Seattle, WA

#5 May 15, 2009
I live in Kitsap County, Washington State. It's our loss. Epperson has a stellar reputation here and he will be missed. Just so you know, Epperson is no stranger to Native American issues. Both the Suquamish Tribe and the S'Klallam Tribe are in North Kitsap and a big and vital part of the community.
simply put

United States

#6 May 15, 2009
Michael wrote:
I live in Kitsap County, Washington State. It's our loss. Epperson has a stellar reputation here and he will be missed. Just so you know, Epperson is no stranger to Native American issues. Both the Suquamish Tribe and the S'Klallam Tribe are in North Kitsap and a big and vital part of the community.
I'm sure you will send him off w/communities blessing..

Sounds like a good man.
parent of ccsd

Fontana, CA

#7 May 15, 2009
The Right Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
and Hubbies, LOL
now we're gonna find out how mr.tom chee ended up in shs soo fast and quick,a letter will be forthcoming to the priciple;and he has to explain who recommened him to that unexplain position from what funded source;from the state fund or the federal funded programs of title;7,8 or the JOM programs fund,the final decision makers are the I.E.C. people.
TEMPE

Wellton, AZ

#8 May 15, 2009
parent of ccsd wrote:
<quoted text>now we're gonna find out how mr.tom chee ended up in shs soo fast and quick,a letter will be forthcoming to the priciple;and he has to explain who recommened him to that unexplain position from what funded source;from the state fund or the federal funded programs of title;7,8 or the JOM programs fund,the final decision makers are the I.E.C. people.
In reading your comment, it sounds like you yourself could attend school again or self enroll in an ELL course. "Principle" is incorrect, you need to spell it correctly, "P-R-I-N-C-I-P-A-L." Quit being so critical of others, improve yourself, then you will begin to appreciate what others are trying to do. Please don't tell me your a Shiprock native that has a dirt path from their front door to the local 7/11 store, so you can pick up a Navajo Times and to refill your thirst buster....
parent of valedictorian

Aztec, NM

#9 May 15, 2009
to the priciple? how about trying to the principal
to that unexplain position? try unexplained position
parent of valedictorian

Aztec, NM

#10 May 15, 2009
sum parents -- try some parents
not functional -- do you mean non-functional perhaps?
that lack alot -- that lacked alot

Did these 18 seniors pass the New Mexico compentency exam? That usually is the problem. If a student did not meet the graduation requirements why should he be allowed to participate in graduation exercises? Wouldn't that lessen the perceived value to those students who did meet the requirements. I suspect many students would try less if they knew they would be allowed to participate in graduation whether or not they met the requirements.

And I've reported this post for abuse. What is your weight?
Decipher

Albuquerque, NM

#11 May 15, 2009
I am sure he is a good man, however, I give him
no more then a year, to put up with the mess in
Kirtland and Shiprock, better keep in contact with
Billy Noland, afarid you are going to need his
service again.
shs parent

Fontana, CA

#12 May 15, 2009
TEMPE wrote:
<quoted text>
In reading your comment, it sounds like you yourself could attend school again or self enroll in an ELL course. "Principle" is incorrect, you need to spell it correctly, "P-R-I-N-C-I-P-A-L." Quit being so critical of others, improve yourself, then you will begin to appreciate what others are trying to do. Please don't tell me your a Shiprock native that has a dirt path from their front door to the local 7/11 store, so you can pick up a Navajo Times and to refill your thirst buster....
ahhhhhhhhhh,so you think you're perfect in grammer,who's perfect about parent being literacy ,teachers have call me ''uneducated parent''now put yourself in my position missy no it all.
shs parent

Fontana, CA

#13 May 15, 2009
parent of valedictorian wrote:
sum parents -- try some parents
not functional -- do you mean non-functional perhaps?
that lack alot -- that lacked alot
Did these 18 seniors pass the New Mexico compentency exam? That usually is the problem. If a student did not meet the graduation requirements why should he be allowed to participate in graduation exercises? Wouldn't that lessen the perceived value to those students who did meet the requirements. I suspect many students would try less if they knew they would be allowed to participate in graduation whether or not they met the requirements.
And I've reported this post for abuse. What is your weight?
no,according to mr.dewayne leonard,the students did not pass their nmhsct exam and are trying to see if they will be able to walk with their class,just telling you what we heard at the mtg last evening.
The Insanity in US

Columbia, SC

#14 May 15, 2009
If Mr. Epperson truly wants to change CCSD, he must get himself signed to a multi-year contract, and then start cleaning house. The only way the district changes is if someone brings in a new vision that incorporates Navajo views and philosophies. He has to exert his authority to enact his vision, which means getting rid of some folks -- and a long-term deal means they can't get rid of him with backlash.

A good place to start his "sweep" would be getting Slowman-Chee and By Manning out. Easier said than done. Epperson will need the educators, parents, and students behind him.

If not, his house cleaning will be blocked by the Mannings and others, meaning someone with great vision will again be reduced to a lackey. All of this would normally take time -- but he must move quickly. Time will be his real enemy if he wants true change at CCSD!

Since only 1 of 18 CCSD schools currently makes AYP, he should be able to exert his will on the district -- but we all know how that goes! Administrators get big raises/bonuses despite failed schools. Like AIG. Good luck, Epperson. I feel for you, I really do. You can always get hired at Farmington SD or Bloomfield if it doesn't work out at CCSD -- that's where way too many Kirtland teachers have fled to because of CCSD politics. Farmington and Bloomfield SDs are basically refugee camps for former CCSD educators.
WOW

Navajo Dam, NM

#15 May 15, 2009
shs parent wrote:
<quoted text>no,according to mr.dewayne leonard,the students did not pass their nmhsct exam and are trying to see if they will be able to walk with their class,just telling you what we heard at the mtg last evening.
Why are they even considering this? If you don't pass the test you don't walk. Why is this hard for parents to understand? Students have an opportunity to take the test as a sophomore, junior and if they still haven't passed, as a senior. Where were these great parents when the tests were failed when their kids were sophomores. Stick your hands out and again ask for something you think you deserve but did not earn..........
parent of valedictorian

Aztec, NM

#16 May 15, 2009
Why does this issue have to be discussed EVERY year? The policy is if they don't meet graduation requirements at the time of graduation they do not walk. Pretty simple it seems to me.
Kirtland parent

United States

#17 May 15, 2009
The Insanity in US wrote:
You can always get hired at Farmington SD or Bloomfield if it doesn't work out at CCSD -- that's where way too many Kirtland teachers have fled to because of CCSD politics. Farmington and Bloomfield SDs are basically refugee camps for former CCSD educators.
Not only teachers! This year's Farmington HS valedictorian and Piedra Vista's salutatorian both live in CCSD but chose to attend schools that offered challenging cources and actually prepare students for AP tests. AP in Farmington schools means something. Not so in Kirtland.
Kirtland parent

Aztec, NM

#18 May 15, 2009
shs parent wrote:
<quoted text>ahhhhhhhhhh,so you think you're perfect in grammer,who's perfect about parent being literacy ,teachers have call me ''uneducated parent''now put yourself in my position missy no it all.
G-R-A-M-M-A-R was they way I learned it in grammAr school!
Get Real

United States

#19 May 15, 2009
parent of valedictorian wrote:
Why does this issue have to be discussed EVERY year? The policy is if they don't meet graduation requirements at the time of graduation they do not walk. Pretty simple it seems to me.
First of all the PED doesn't specify that students must pass the state test in order to participate in a graduation ceremony. The state does require the school to give the students a certificate of completion when they have all their credits. Your child was awarded valedictorian for the grades they earned for credits,not for passing a test. The student who spoke last night has a 3.2 GPA. He worked just as hard as your child to earn that 3.2 but unfortunately he failed one portion of the test. Isn't not receiving his diploma punishment enough.
Harper Valley PTA

Grand Junction, CO

#20 May 15, 2009
Just heard this evening, from a very reliable source, that the ONLY board member who DIDN'T make the right choice for Epperson was Mr. Randy Manning himself. He voted for Holloway, the man who looked and acted so much like his Australian travel-buddy Larry DeWees. As if we really need another "good ol' boy" at CCSD...

That's pretty surprising after Randy told half the people in his ward that he was definitely supporting Epperson. But then he has lied to his own people before, like during the school board election a few months ago when he and Byron spread the lie that his opponent Fred Cossum was going to end the Seminary Release Program at KCHS.

Maybe the members of the Kirtland LDS Third Ward never heard the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Shame on Randy Manning for lying to his own friends and relatives, and shame on the foolish people who support him.
patience

Denver, CO

#21 May 15, 2009
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are they even considering this? If you don't pass the test you don't walk. Why is this hard for parents to understand? Students have an opportunity to take the test as a sophomore, junior and if they still haven't passed, as a senior. Where were these great parents when the tests were failed when their kids were sophomores. Stick your hands out and again ask for something you think you deserve but did not earn..........
That's true, unless you are DENIED the chance to retake it, like others are given. A few of those students were not allowed to take the test their junior year, thanks to incompetence....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poulsbo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Momma Lynn Records Announces Splash Promotion C... May '16 Poulsbo Fats 1
News Got a plan for your Halloween costume yet? (Oct '13) Apr '16 Snow Majesty 28
News Local man charged with selling meth (Mar '15) Jan '16 CallmeDoug 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Washington... (Oct '10) Jan '16 judi byrne 6
What's wrong with the Silverdale Beach Hotel? (Sep '14) Dec '15 Kevin C 7
News Coach's journey to the 50-yard line (Nov '15) Nov '15 Kentucky for coach 1
Looking to buy aquatic plants (Nov '15) Nov '15 milsurpjunkie 1

Poulsbo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poulsbo Mortgages