Marlboro schools raise taxes sharply

Aug 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: RecordOnline.com

The bad news will hit mailboxes here in about two weeks: School taxes are going up more than 30 percent.

Comments
21 - 40 of 43 Comments Last updated Apr 5, 2013
steve

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Judged:

Porf wrote:
I work for Dynegy in Newburgh and there are a few people that work here that live in Marlboro that are pretty ticked off about this. I guess that there's nothing that you can do, since legally, Dynegy is in the right in the matter.
If, "Porf" in fact, works for dynegy, then he should know that before Roseton/Danskammer was purchased by dynegy from CHG&E, that there exsisted a very complex and expensive scrubber stack installed on the coal fired unit.This was installed in the early 80's and served to mitigate acid rain. Strangely this apparatus disappeared before the sale and subsequent re-appraisal. Now Dynegy makes money from energy credits which they sell for a handsome profit to other power companies for keeping that coal unit idle. This, of course, was not considered in the re-assesment.
marlborocitizens

Liberty, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

We maintain a blog here in Marlboro for taxpayers to read and contribute information.

http://marlborocitizens.wordpress.com/

Marlborocitizens Admin.
Grad-glad-dad-no tsadorbad

Port Jervis, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Everyone knew for years this was coming. I graduated in '79, and we knew even then (as a kid) that the ride for the district was not going to last.
Marlboro was popular for a good school with low taxes. Everyone knew the reason for the low taxes. If you didn't then I guess you didn't do your homework.
By the same token, there is lots of 'good ole boy' stuff going on, and mismanagement, from what I hear. But I am not privy to it, so I cannot say for sure.
Tenure is the dumbest way to keep effectiveness and efficiency. Dump the idea. No work-No pay. Lazy work - lazy pay. Poor work - go away!
I feel for you guys. I have Wallkill district on my land, so I'm not hit quite so bad.

“Tech Geek”

Since: Oct 08

Newburgh NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

steve wrote:
<quoted text>
If, "Porf" in fact, works for dynegy, then he should know that before Roseton/Danskammer was purchased by dynegy from CHG&E, that there exsisted a very complex and expensive scrubber stack installed on the coal fired unit.This was installed in the early 80's and served to mitigate acid rain. Strangely this apparatus disappeared before the sale and subsequent re-appraisal. Now Dynegy makes money from energy credits which they sell for a handsome profit to other power companies for keeping that coal unit idle. This, of course, was not considered in the re-assesment.
Interesting....I didn't know that. I've worked here for a little under a year, so I don't know the entire history of the plant. Thanks...I'll speak to some of the old CenHud employees here about that...they may know something LOL
marlborocitizens

Liberty, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

The school budget will be revealed this coming Thursday, February 19, 2009.

WHEN: February 19, 2009.
TIME: 7:30 P.M.

Marlborocitizens Admin
marlborocitizens

Liberty, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2009

Next School Board Meeting.

WHEN: March 19, 2009.
TIME: 7:30 P.M.
marlborocitizens

Liberty, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

If you live in Marlboro, Milton, Platekill or Northern Newburgh AND pay Marlboro Central School District taxes, this is for you:

The citizens tax meeting will be at Annie’s, 40 Western Ave. on April 16th at 7:00pm.

Marlborocitizens Admin
Lenny

New Windsor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

They did the same thing to me(when I came here my taxes were 3700 and now they are 10,500) and on top of it they are spending 14.5 MILLION on a NEW football field!! WHY!?!!? That football field was better than most others around here; not too mention our schools kids are getting a second rate education but yet they keep raising taxes to LINE THEIR POCKETS. DID you hear about the $89000 phone bill they made us pay for.....They are corrupt as all hell
Joe wrote:
Last year my school taxes were $4880 and this year 6880! Marlboro school board and adminstration, you'd better start running that school like you'd run your home expenses. Cut back! Get rid of the 'good ol' boy network of creating jobs for family and friends. Cut jobs and teachers. Teachers contribute more to their health care like the rest of America is having to do. Maybe outsource the Janitors . Maybe out source the adminstration. They're not managing it very well.
jewels

Old Bridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2010

Cutting teachers harms our kids. We pay the taxes, lets go after the top heavey adminstration with their outrageous salaries and packages. I think it is time we all stand up and stop this now. The higher ups have it way to good, before we fire a teacher we should cut the fat at the top. People wake up this isn't going to end!!!! The time to fight back in NOW! Along with this we should fight what is happening to healthcare and how goverment has own healthcare benfits that we pay for and it is far better then anything we will ever have.
Local

New Windsor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Here's a website that shows what all the teachers are making so you can decide if they're worth what they are paid or not (besides the platinum benefits, pension you'll be stuck paying them for life, AND the fact that IT'S A PART-TIME JOB!!!):

http://www.seethroughny.net/PayrollsPensions/...

Select "Marlboro Central Schools" under the "Agency/Area" box.

You've got a bunch of people making over $100K. Are they REALLY worth anything near that?
Unemployed Engineer

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Do you want to exactly why your taxes are so high? Ask your city officials how much of the payroll is going toward active workers and how much is spent on retired workers.
You will probably find out that 40% or more of payroll is going to retirees.
Now ask yourself, "How can a government function at 60% level even before any waste or corruption."
It can't...
Raise the taxes!!!
Okn

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Porf wrote:
I work for Dynegy in Newburgh and there are a few people that work here that live in Marlboro that are pretty ticked off about this. I guess that there's nothing that you can do, since legally, Dynegy is in the right in the matter.
than tell dynegy to pay there taxes they have not bothered to this year
Local

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Okn wrote:
<quoted text>
than tell dynegy to pay there taxes they have not bothered to this year
Start paying teachers what they're actually worth and you could have a lot more of them for less money.

Go to this website to see how many of these government drones are making over $100K for what in most instances is a part time job that any idiot with the time and money to waste on a worthless piece of paper could do:

[b]http://seethroughny.net/pay rolls/schools/[/b]

Like ALL government drones, they ultimately aspire to become glorified welfare recipients who get paid quite well for doing nothing at a relatively young age. It's time to stop worshiping those who realized that they'd never survive a day in the real world and would need to be carried through life like a child on the backs of their neighbors.
Disgusted

Pine Bush, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Run the schools like a business for gods sake. Figure it out you idiots in the district! Close the Milton and Middlehope Elementary Schools, bus them to the "renovated" Marlboro Elementary School. Get rid of DEAD WOOD TEACHERS with ridiculous high salaries (who don't even work a full 8 hour day), the school psychiatrist and unnecessary useless teacher's aides. The retirement plan NEEDS to be revamped and Tenure should be abolished! It's times like these when the tough choices (cuts) have to be made... not just pass it on to the already over taxed tax payer. We have to live "within" our means, so should the school district(s).
Local

Little Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

So how much is a teacher "really" worth.
Local

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Local wrote:
So how much is a teacher "really" worth.
They're REALLY worth what they get paid in places where the employer and the employee aren't able to collude to rob the taxpayer blind. How about we look at private schools where the employer has to actually EARN money and can't steal freely from the taxpayer to buy the slavish political support of the drones who populate government schools? Do you think there are elementary gym teachers making over $100K at any Catholic schools? And how about we start paying them based on their relative skill set as typically happens in the real world? How is it possible that you could have an elementary art teacher making twice as much as an AP calculus teacher? One thing is CERTAIN, an elementary teacher is worth WAY less than a high school physics or chemistry teacher, except in the childish fantasy land of the government drones.

Like I said, pay them what they're actually worth and you could have more of them for MUCH less money. Wouldn't THAT be what's best for the students and taxpayers?
Local

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Disgusted wrote:
It's times like these when the tough choices (cuts) have to be made... not just pass it on to the already over taxed tax payer. We have to live "within" our means, so should the school district(s).
It's time to give ALL the government drones a taste of reality that all of us who live in the real world face on a daily basis. Nobody will ever pay most of us for DECADES not to work, so why should the least among us who were forced to work for government be shielded from reality by the hard work of their neighbors?
STEVE

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Maybe one should consider the 'fat' on top first. Too much administration. But then take it higher. It's all the requirements from Albany that have to be met (it takes people to meet them). But then take it higher, it actually starts at the FED level and trickles down.

Dont worry, with the new pay system being handed down by the state, you will loose so many teachers both present and future, that you wont have anything to tax on. Dumb teachers will be dropped, and smart teachers will leave --and go corporate.(or teach english in China....)
Local

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

STEVE wrote:
Maybe one should consider the 'fat' on top first. Too much administration. But then take it higher. It's all the requirements from Albany that have to be met (it takes people to meet them). But then take it higher, it actually starts at the FED level and trickles down.
The teachers and their apologists love to point to "fat" administration which needs to be cut. While there may be some of that, the REAL problem is the teachers. PERIOD. There is a 4th grade teacher in Wallkill that is now making $130K and has gotten raises averaging 6% over the past four years when many who are footing the bill are losing their jobs and having their hours cut. How about a 5th grade teacher who since '08 went from $88K to $112K? How about husband and wife high school teachers in Valley Central making $200K FOR A PART TIME JOB? Those barely scratch the surface and the fact is that MANY teachers are GROSSLY overpaid for a part time job that requires EXTREMELY modest qualifications. And that doesn't even account for the fact that we'll be forced to carry them through life like a child until the day they die. Where in the real world would these people make anything close to what they're able to steal from their neighbors?

Go to this website to see what your kids' teachers are being paid for a part time job that in the VAST majority of instances can be done by any idiot.

http://seethroughny.net/

Before this data became public, no one knew how badly teachers were robbing the taxpayer blind because they could hide behind the impenetrable anonymity of "the school budget". "The budget" has exploded for years ,but there was no way to pin the fault on any particular reason. Those days are over.
STEVE wrote:
Dont worry, with the new pay system being handed down by the state, you will loose so many teachers both present and future, that you wont have anything to tax on. Dumb teachers will be dropped, and smart teachers will leave --and go corporate.(or teach english in China....)
Yeah right. How many parent/teacher conferences have you been to? Do you REALLY think any of these people will be willing or able to run out and get a full-time job in the real world? Not to fear, all government drones protect their own, so it's not as if any meaningful change will be possible as long as the corrupt politicians are bought and paid for by the teachers' unions.
3kids64

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

"Do you REALLY think any of these people will be willing or able to run out and get a full-time job in the real world? Not to fear, all government drones protect their own.........."

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Some people that teach in Newburgh in particular have nursing degrees, auto mechanic certifications, etc and yes they can work elsewhere for more money. Get off your angry rant it gets redundant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Poughkeepsie News Video

•••
•••

Poughkeepsie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Poughkeepsie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE