Tornado Hits Eaton County

Lansing - A possible tornado ripped through parts of Eaton and Ingham counties late Friday. Full Story
mhl

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Aug 25, 2007
I am glad no one has reported any deaths. May God bless you all.
Kari

Big Rapids, MI

#3 Aug 25, 2007
Thank God no one was injured, or killed in this awful storm. I will be praying for the families who have lost much, or all of their homes. God bless you all.
stophman from Chi-town

Seale, AL

#4 Aug 25, 2007
I am glad to hear my sister Elizabeth & her family did not suffer any injuries or damage from the devasting storm. God Bless.
Catherine

Grand Blanc, MI

#5 Aug 25, 2007
August 24, 2007, we were going West from Livonia to GR on 96. We had passed the US 23/Fenton interchange. Traffic was bumper to bumper for miles. The storm front seemed to change directions and came directly at us from the East.

Suddenly, a cloud dropped from the sky onto two vehicles immediately in front of us. We saw the storm front literally touch down.

Immediately, it rained hard. It was like being at the base of a waterfall. Drainage ditches quickly overflowed and appeared to be boiling. The flooding seemed immediate and spilled over the freeway, creating strange currents. Lightning was dancing all around. Winds kicked in with unbelievable force. Trees were falling, debris blowing. We pulled the CD out. All we received from the radio were tornado siren sounds above the crackle on the radio, with a few words about "tornado heading east."

Being in the middle of this, disaster training seemed questionable. One could not lie in a ditch, one would have been sucked away by the rolling force. Sitting still on the freeway made cars targets for blowing debri and flowing currents. Lighting seemed to dance on the ground, so leaving the vehicle was not an option. I wondered if the new metal plate in my neck would attract electricity. There were no available overpasses. Cars pulled off the road. We, however, crept forward and sought shelter behind a concrete building just off the highway. What an exciting, amazing series of natural show!

We returned to 96 after the winds died down, thinking the worst was over. Wrong. It seemed like one storm after another. This natural event continued taunting us until Lansing.

As the clouds lifted, the sun glowed and we got off at Jolly Road. The damage was incredible and the scene surreal. Stunned and amazed people were wandering around looking lost and surveying the damage near MSU. Debris, trees and branches were everywhere. Many homes and apartments had damage ranging from blown out windows to serious damage. Power lines were knocked down, traffic lights were out, lines dangled in the streets. Emergency vehicles were scurrying to help, sirens filled the air, police officers pulled to intersections to direct traffic. In the midst of the scene from a disaster movie, a tent stood untouched. For some reason, that amused me.

Back to 96, we stopped at a rest area. Many travelers had stopped. People seemed to assess what they had just survived and share stories. Today, as reality sets in, I pray in thanks that so many survived this amazing natural series of events.

Catherine
mhl

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Aug 26, 2007
Catherine wrote:
August 24, 2007, we were going West from Livonia to GR on 96. We had passed the US 23/Fenton interchange. Traffic was bumper to bumper for miles. The storm front seemed to change directions and came directly at us from the East.
Suddenly, a cloud dropped from the sky onto two vehicles immediately in front of us. We saw the storm front literally touch down.
Immediately, it rained hard. It was like being at the base of a waterfall. Drainage ditches quickly overflowed and appeared to be boiling. The flooding seemed immediate and spilled over the freeway, creating strange currents. Lightning was dancing all around. Winds kicked in with unbelievable force. Trees were falling, debris blowing. We pulled the CD out. All we received from the radio were tornado siren sounds above the crackle on the radio, with a few words about "tornado heading east."
Being in the middle of this, disaster training seemed questionable. One could not lie in a ditch, one would have been sucked away by the rolling force. Sitting still on the freeway made cars targets for blowing debri and flowing currents. Lighting seemed to dance on the ground, so leaving the vehicle was not an option. I wondered if the new metal plate in my neck would attract electricity. There were no available overpasses. Cars pulled off the road. We, however, crept forward and sought shelter behind a concrete building just off the highway. What an exciting, amazing series of natural show!
We returned to 96 after the winds died down, thinking the worst was over. Wrong. It seemed like one storm after another. This natural event continued taunting us until Lansing.
As the clouds lifted, the sun glowed and we got off at Jolly Road. The damage was incredible and the scene surreal. Stunned and amazed people were wandering around looking lost and surveying the damage near MSU. Debris, trees and branches were everywhere. Many homes and apartments had damage ranging from blown out windows to serious damage. Power lines were knocked down, traffic lights were out, lines dangled in the streets. Emergency vehicles were scurrying to help, sirens filled the air, police officers pulled to intersections to direct traffic. In the midst of the scene from a disaster movie, a tent stood untouched. For some reason, that amused me.
Back to 96, we stopped at a rest area. Many travelers had stopped. People seemed to assess what they had just survived and share stories. Today, as reality sets in, I pray in thanks that so many survived this amazing natural series of events.
Catherine
Wow! Thank you for telling your story. I am very glad you survived to tell it.
Matt

Holt, MI

#7 Aug 26, 2007
I live near the Fazolies that was damaged. Homes and cars less than 1000 feet behind my house had trees laying on them. I have two relatively large maple trees in my yard, neither of which lost a twig in this event. The damage in my neighborhood is unbelievable. The entire storm only lasted 15 minutes, only 2 or 3 minutes of it was really heavy wind. I had sat outside until the winds came, then thought I'd better get in. Afterward, I checked the rain gauge. We got 7/10" in about fifteen minutes; that's nearly 3 inches an hour. I didn't even know there was any damage until a buddy that was out called. Here it is Sunday night and there are still roads closed. Covered, literally, with trees. I saw telephone poles broken in half with the lines still attatched and working. I saw telephone poles on fire, and I saw poles with no damage and every wire ripped off. The amount of tree damage is truly unbelievable. I'm just thankful that we got out untouched. And, we're checking our homeowners policy to make sure it has the coverages we may need in an event like this.
Nikki

United States

#8 Aug 27, 2007
My dad's house on Otto road was damaged and I can't find him. I don't know how to get in touch with anyone to find out anything. All I know is he was admitted into a hospital and was realeased with minor injuries but he can't go back to his house. Where can we find information on how to get in touch with those who did lose their house??
Pam

Nordland, WA

#9 Aug 27, 2007
Nikki have you found your father yet? If not, I live in Charlotte and maybe I can help you. Pam
Nikki wrote:
My dad's house on Otto road was damaged and I can't find him. I don't know how to get in touch with anyone to find out anything. All I know is he was admitted into a hospital and was realeased with minor injuries but he can't go back to his house. Where can we find information on how to get in touch with those who did lose their house??
Holly D

Lansing, MI

#10 Aug 27, 2007
Nikki wrote:
Nikki,
Have you found your dad yet? My cousin's girlfriend works at the hospital in Charlotte, and she said that they were putting some people up in hotels. What is your father's last name? I would be happy to help you find him. It sounds like Pam from Charlotte is also willing to help. I could call some hotels and check for you.
Jenny

Coupeville, WA

#11 Aug 28, 2007
Such an amazing story. It brought tears to my eyes. I live in Potterville, MI just about a 1/2 mile from where the tornado did most the damage. Today was the first day I drove down the road to look at the damage it caused because the road had been closed. Wow, it was like a scene right out of a movie. People were going through there homes looking for their belongings. I had to cry. I thank god that no one was injured
Catherine wrote:
Catherine
Jenny

Coupeville, WA

#12 Aug 28, 2007
Nikki, I hope you were able to find your father. If not, I live in Potterville and I would suggest to please call the Eaton County Sherriff's Department in Charlotte and they may be able to assist you with some information. Sorry to hear about everything. I really hope you find him. My thoughts are with your family.
Nikki wrote:
chris martin

Roseville, MI

#13 Sep 1, 2007
i used to go skateing rink in charlotte,mi long ago. my name is chris martin which i used to come up everyweekend and lived in k-zoo,mi. i am hard of hearing guy. i am trying to find any of my friend from skating rink long time ago. i hope to hear from them soon , thank you
Comstock Park kitty mom

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Sep 3, 2007
RickyLee wrote:
whatever
you know I bet you wouldnt be saying that if you had seen something like that or been thru it. I think you would have some compassion. Get your head out of your ass and do us all a favor and have a heart.

So try growing up and get a heart and if you have one you need to use it or get a new one and a brain.
Heather

Lansing, MI

#15 Sep 5, 2007
My in-laws had a house on Vermontville hwy. Luckily, they were in the UP on vacation, so they were ok. It took us a day and a half to locate them (gotta love the lack of cell phone coverage up there), which was kinda scary, since we weren't totally sure that they didn't come home the night before. We had to sit at the Potterville high school and wait and it seemed like they were never going to let us survey the damage or make sure my in-laws really hadn't come back from vacation the day before. When they did let us go out there, my in-laws house was not on the list of houses labeled 'DO NOT ENTER', so we were hopeful that it was spared. However, when we got there, we saw that the roof was completely gone (like no debris in the yard) and nothing was left of the pole barn but the cement pad. Most of the things in the pole barn were still sitting there, mostly undamaged. The winds did make one car roll over another in the driveway, totaling both; and it put a roofing shingle through the fender of another car. The damage along Vermontville hwy was very humbling. I did hear reports that some of the bricks from the 150 year-old home were found at the rest area along I-69.....
Nicole

Muskegon, MI

#16 Sep 7, 2009
My dad Lives on benton rd in charlotte/potterville. His house was destroyed. He wasnt home at the time but My step brother was in the house but was in the basement n my step mom was on the phone with him the whole time the tornado ripped through the house. He was fine but can you imagine talking to your kid when thats happening, hearing it all? All of our stuff was destroyed n stretched all through potterville. It also went through lansing, where i live and tore up a bunch of houses on my street and my street was blocked off with trees. And another thing august 24th is my birthday! Its been awhile and my dads house is all rebuilt. It looks nice. im soooo glad everybody was ok.
CraftyAndy

Roseville, MI

#17 May 29, 2011
Would of been nice if god didn't send a tornado to begin with. This is why I worship lord Odin.
Harry Ballzonyah

Jackson, MI

#18 May 30, 2011
CraftyAndy wrote:
Would of been nice if god didn't send a tornado to begin with. This is why I worship lord Odin.
I'm sure Odin really packs that meat of his in your loose butt hole too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potterville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: East Michigan Family Care - Shannon Wig... (Jan '11) 10 hr klm1959 43
Poll: Support for gay marriage drops in Mich. (May '14) Jan 20 scs2011 68
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan Jan 18 Sandmans worst en... 220
Review: Greener Planet Gardening (Feb '14) Jan 12 green thumbs 2
Question on Stockbridge Police Chief (John Torr... (Mar '13) Jan 7 No money 5
cop that was choking woman behind bar w/8 witne... (Jul '14) Jan 7 No money 6
Schootingj in lansing Jan 7 Sober 2
Potterville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web