Posted in the Pottersville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
harry

United States

#1 Jul 22, 2009
Dear Sir/Madam:

My family is currently working on a family history project. Back in the 1970's we used to stay at a resort on the east side of Schroon Lake called something like, "Dee Elgars". It was run by a Mr. Johnson. I believe his wife was named Elsie. Do you have any info on this location? We later stayed at a resort down the road from there, called "Arrowhead Lodge". I also recall a drive-in theatre called the "Glendale Drive-in". Any assistance that you could provide that could "restore our memories" would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sincerely,

Harry M.
John Warren - AdkAlmanack

Northville, NY

#2 Jul 28, 2009
You can read about Glen Dale Drive-in at Adirondack Alamanack http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/
Harry

Black River, NY

#3 Jul 28, 2009
John Warren - AdkAlmanack wrote:
You can read about Glen Dale Drive-in at Adirondack Alamanack http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/
John- That was a nice article you authored. When did it close and where exactly was it located?
Jim C

Ballston Spa, NY

#4 Aug 26, 2009
Harry,

I can't tell when you posted this but I currently own what was the main lodge at Arrowhead. If you contact me at [email protected] I can send some pictures. The building is largely unchanged since the 70's. The Glendale theater screen is still visible off route 9 but has not been a theater for years.

Jim C.

harry wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam:
My family is currently working on a family history project. Back in the 1970's we used to stay at a resort on the east side of Schroon Lake called something like, "Dee Elgars". It was run by a Mr. Johnson. I believe his wife was named Elsie. Do you have any info on this location? We later stayed at a resort down the road from there, called "Arrowhead Lodge". I also recall a drive-in theatre called the "Glendale Drive-in". Any assistance that you could provide that could "restore our memories" would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sincerely,
Harry M.
Will

King Of Prussia, PA

#5 Feb 8, 2010
I went to arrowhead every summer as a kid. We went the same week every year so we would see the same people. Man, that was 30 years ago!
Fred

Prescott, AZ

#6 Oct 29, 2010
Hello.
I have been watching this thread for a while. Trying to find more information on Arrowhead Lodge. My parents took us every year for 1 or 2 weeks starting in the mid sixties and ending in the late 70's. I have lots of stories and pictures.
The Carlson's owned it during most of our time there but sometime around 74 I think it came under new management and my parents got to know that owner as well. I knew Bruce and Richard Carlson who were Grandsons of the owners. Mr Carlson was an exhibitionist water skier. He could stand on a chair that is sitting on one of the Arrowhead disks with the pull rope in his mouth and TURN at the same time - simply amazing!
We stayed in either of the two cabins up the hill, 1 time in the longhouse, and 1 time in the main lodge. I loved hearing the Bell (and sometimes I did the ringing) for meals in the dining hall of the main lodge. Outstanding food and people. Played ping pong in that room to the left of the main door. Then you had the gift shop to left of the dining hall door. Big Fireplace to the right in the middle of the room. Couches, easychairs etc... We could sign out games like boche ball (we had lodge wide games of that), Vollyball, badmitton for outside then Chess, checkers, puzzles, board games etc... for inside.
Of course all the adults including ours partied every night and would take turns being host at different cabins. The main lodge deck was popular.
Water skiing was big as well as canoes and rowboats. I guess the red pier is not there anymore? I wonder if the beach area still is. There were two lodge boats during our time; one with an outboard and then later an Evinrude inboard which was a nice boat. They used to take us on tours and we went fishing a lot. You could bring up your own boat and some did.
Later on the lodge expanded the parking area to the right (looking from the lodge) of the main concrete stairs leading down to E Shore Road.
Another attraction was Gaslight Village which was near Lake George I think. Have lots more to tell.

Fred
Miriam

Somerville, NJ

#7 Apr 13, 2011
I have wonderful Arrowhead Lodge memories, having gone there from 1961-1976 with family almost every year in August, and then 3 days of honeymoon in 1977. 1958-59 went to Silberts, 1960 to Cabin Colony Club. I remember before the Carlsons, Kent and Eric, and Kent's younger sister Judy. We used to climb the mountain and collect delicious wild blueberries, which ended up in pancakes the next day. Was sad to find Arrowhead closed up and cabins gone when I returned many years later. Glad to hear that Jim now owns it. I can still hear the slam of the screen door at the lodge, as well as the bell rung for meals and as guests departed to wish them well. We often stayed in the cabin directly across from the lodge to the right, which had a bunk bed. Always enjoyed seeing the "growing up" pictures of the guest families tacked to the columns of the lodge. Will gradually populate with more information.
Joe

Bristol, CT

#8 Jun 14, 2011
i remember going down those concrete stais to the lake, it seamed to take forever. the dinner bell also is a fond memorie. i remeber the maid her name was Jan and she was from Buffalo. id love to see ya again....great memories id like to bring my family up in this area to experience what i once did. any suggestions plkease
Joan

Northville, NY

#9 Jun 15, 2011
[I love next store to Jim. My parents used to own Arrowhead and I am the Mother of Richard and Bruce. We also have wonderful memories of the Lodge and all the folks that came on vacation. The lake is pretty built up now but the feelings around the place are still the same. Folks still like it quiet and the lake is still clean and beautiful. Remember hearing the music from Scaroon Manor and the annoncements from Camp Rondack across the lake? Nice to know that so many people have good memories.QUOTE who="Fred"]Hello.
I have been watching this thread for a while. Trying to find more information on Arrowhead Lodge. My parents took us every year for 1 or 2 weeks starting in the mid sixties and ending in the late 70's. I have lots of stories and pictures.
The Carlson's owned it during most of our time there but sometime around 74 I think it came under new management and my parents got to know that owner as well. I knew Bruce and Richard Carlson who were Grandsons of the owners. Mr Carlson was an exhibitionist water skier. He could stand on a chair that is sitting on one of the Arrowhead disks with the pull rope in his mouth and TURN at the same time - simply amazing!
We stayed in either of the two cabins up the hill, 1 time in the longhouse, and 1 time in the main lodge. I loved hearing the Bell (and sometimes I did the ringing) for meals in the dining hall of the main lodge. Outstanding food and people. Played ping pong in that room to the left of the main door. Then you had the gift shop to left of the dining hall door. Big Fireplace to the right in the middle of the room. Couches, easychairs etc... We could sign out games like boche ball (we had lodge wide games of that), Vollyball, badmitton for outside then Chess, checkers, puzzles, board games etc... for inside.
Of course all the adults including ours partied every night and would take turns being host at different cabins. The main lodge deck was popular.
Water skiing was big as well as canoes and rowboats. I guess the red pier is not there anymore? I wonder if the beach area still is. There were two lodge boats during our time; one with an outboard and then later an Evinrude inboard which was a nice boat. They used to take us on tours and we went fishing a lot. You could bring up your own boat and some did.
Later on the lodge expanded the parking area to the right (looking from the lodge) of the main concrete stairs leading down to E Shore Road.
Another attraction was Gaslight Village which was near Lake George I think. Have lots more to tell.
Fred
Diane

Toms River, NJ

#10 Jul 3, 2011
I know this original post is from 2009 but I thought I'd write anyway. We stayed at Dee Elgar every summer in the 60's and early 70's. The main house is still there and looks the same from the road. All cottages were sold separately and it looks like most are still there, but have been expanded.
Dee Elgar's name came from
Dee = Elsie Johnson's neice
El = for Elsie
Gar = for Gardner Johnson
I go back to Schroon Lake now as an adult and love it, but just not the same as my carefree teen years.
what I remember:
o Walking to Sand Point at night for ice cream sundaes and penny candy.
o Walking up and down that big hill (that looks very small now..
o Shuffle board on that court with the crack in the middle
o Campfires on the beach
o Volleyball on the beach
o Boating and skiing
o Taking a boat to the village to for food shopping and laundry (of course, it was Mom who did that)
o Adirondack General Store
o The Blum family that stayed all summer in the cottage on the beach.
o A lot of other families that vacationed the same time that we did every year.
o Cold labor day weekends - take off your sweatshirt, ski around the lake, put your sweatshirt back on
o The drive-in, but since I didn't drive I have no idea where it was.
o Movie nights in the main house
o Playing in the main house with all the kids on rainy days
o Climbing the mountain behind Arrowhead. There were large rocks (or slate of some sort).
o Trips to Storytown (now Great Escape), Ft Ticonderoga, Stone Bridge and Caves, Ausable Chasm, Lake George, Frontier Town.
What memories ... it was fun just thinking about all that.
Lisa

Coram, NY

#11 Jul 23, 2011
Hi Diane,

Wow. My head swells with all of the wonderful memories you mentioned. Glad you answered as it encouraged me to response in kind. I too along with my family stayed at the DeeElgers Lodge in the late 60's-early 70's. Remember the owners dog named Rex? My dad and Uncle would go fishing and my mom and Aunt Sixta would clean and gut the fist then cook them. How I loved the cottages. My mom has pictures which were taken on the old Kodak projector back then which produced a small square with the picture taken. You would look at the pics on the wall or projection screen. Ahh the days of homemade vanilla ice cream. It's nice to know the main building is still there. I will absolutely go back there soon now that I know it still exists. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa
Diane wrote:
I know this original post is from 2009 but I thought I'd write anyway. We stayed at Dee Elgar every summer in the 60's and early 70's. The main house is still there and looks the same from the road. All cottages were sold separately and it looks like most are still there, but have been expanded.
Dee Elgar's name came from
Dee = Elsie Johnson's neice
El = for Elsie
Gar = for Gardner Johnson
I go back to Schroon Lake now as an adult and love it, but just not the same as my carefree teen years.
what I remember:
o Walking to Sand Point at night for ice cream sundaes and penny candy.
o Walking up and down that big hill (that looks very small now..
o Shuffle board on that court with the crack in the middle
o Campfires on the beach
o Volleyball on the beach
o Boating and skiing
o Taking a boat to the village to for food shopping and laundry (of course, it was Mom who did that)
o Adirondack General Store
o The Blum family that stayed all summer in the cottage on the beach.
o A lot of other families that vacationed the same time that we did every year.
o Cold labor day weekends - take off your sweatshirt, ski around the lake, put your sweatshirt back on
o The drive-in, but since I didn't drive I have no idea where it was.
o Movie nights in the main house
o Playing in the main house with all the kids on rainy days
o Climbing the mountain behind Arrowhead. There were large rocks (or slate of some sort).
o Trips to Storytown (now Great Escape), Ft Ticonderoga, Stone Bridge and Caves, Ausable Chasm, Lake George, Frontier Town.
What memories ... it was fun just thinking about all that.
electricjohn

Sussex, NJ

#12 Oct 23, 2011
In the process of buying one of the Dee Elgar cottages. I will post more when I find things out. I do know the original lodge property was 32+ acres and it was subdivided into 11 or 12 lots back in 1981. There are 7 waterfront (accually road front) lots of 1 acre each and 4 or 5 lots behind them that are 4 to 5 acres each. All lots have waterfront property between the road and the lake. The 7 road front lots get 70 ft of lakefront and the back lots get 50 ft.
Diane

Toms River, NJ

#13 Oct 24, 2011
John - how exciting that you are buying property on Schroon Lake. Did you go to Dee Elgar when it was owned by the Johnson's or do you just enjoy beautiful Schroon Lake. Which cottage are you buying. After the first year we always stayed in the middle one of the 3 at the top of the hill (to the left of the Main house when looking up).
electricjohn

Sussex, NJ

#14 Oct 24, 2011
Diane, My family camped across the lake from the lodge every year since 1964, and we still plan on camping at Eagle Point again this year. Made our reservation this past weekend. I remember the yellow lights lining the driveway of the lodge as a kid. I guess there are only 2 cottages left and they sit on the lot we are buying, which is next to the main house. Looking at the subdivision map that was drawn in 1981, it looks like there was a structure behind the main house and two more structures to the left of the lot we are buying. These no longer exist. According to the people we are buying from the 2 cottages on our lot were a 2 family and a 3 family cottage back in the day.
Will

New York, NY

#15 Dec 28, 2011
WOW, lots of memories. We stayed at the cabin at the top of the hill. If you made a left as you came out of the main entrance of the main house. I remember an Italian family having like a 16-18 foot bow rider, white with an orange bottom. And my unlce had a 19 foot Galaxy all tan with a merc outboard. How about the dirt tennis ball courts? lol
Pete

Belfair, WA

#16 Apr 15, 2012
My time at Schroon Lake and Arrowhead Lodge. In fact I may have met some of the posters here. I grew up in Schenectady but spent my summers at Sand Point Beach. My parents had the first trailer on the beach as you came down the hill. I worked at Arrowhead Lodge for 3 or 4 summers washing dishes all 3 meals and peeling potatoes in the kitchen occasionally. I think I was 16 at the time so it must have been 1961-1964. Reading the posts above from Fred, Miriam and Fred brought back many fond memories from Arrowhead. So time there was when Kent and Eric were the owners. What most of the guests probably didn't realize was that I would come back in the evenings to play ping pong. I remember some spirited games with Kent's wife...I believe her name was Mary? Spirit also meant, drinking Vodka a Sprite. Mary also taught me how to sail on the lodge's "sailfish" sailboat.. I also remember when I was 18 going up to a bar in Adirondack that had dancing on the weekend. Does anyone have an updated info on what happened to Sand Point Beach. I lost track after I graduated from college in 1967.
Miriam

Basking Ridge, NJ

#17 Apr 20, 2012
Great to see this discussion thread living on, like our memories of Arrowhead. I learned to water ski there, and several times swam across the lake accompanied by my dad on the Sunfish and someone in a rowboat. Also played a mean game of ping pong on that warped table, learning to make the most of its bizarre bounce properties. Truly one of life's sweetest memories was picking wild blueberries on the mountain with Judy...she took all the little kids, around 6-8 years old. It was thrilling for me as an urban kid to actually contribute to our breakfast: we got to eat them in pancakes the next morning. I can always summon up the sound of the lodge's screen door when it slammed. What a shock when we went back some years ago and found the place deserted and silent.
Pete wrote:
My time at Schroon Lake and Arrowhead Lodge. In fact I may have met some of the posters here. I grew up in Schenectady but spent my summers at Sand Point Beach. My parents had the first trailer on the beach as you came down the hill. I worked at Arrowhead Lodge for 3 or 4 summers washing dishes all 3 meals and peeling potatoes in the kitchen occasionally. I think I was 16 at the time so it must have been 1961-1964. Reading the posts above from Fred, Miriam and Fred brought back many fond memories from Arrowhead. So time there was when Kent and Eric were the owners. What most of the guests probably didn't realize was that I would come back in the evenings to play ping pong. I remember some spirited games with Kent's wife...I believe her name was Mary? Spirit also meant, drinking Vodka a Sprite. Mary also taught me how to sail on the lodge's "sailfish" sailboat.. I also remember when I was 18 going up to a bar in Adirondack that had dancing on the weekend. Does anyone have an updated info on what happened to Sand Point Beach. I lost track after I graduated from college in 1967.
Fred

Prescott, AZ

#18 May 2, 2012
Hello.
To the Mother of Richard and Bruce; Sorry for the long intervals between posts and thank you very much for posting here. My parents are Marilyn and Clive Mench. They new your parents from somewhere and that is how our yearly trips started.
Back then that one time of year that we had to get up at 4:30AM (very odd back then) to start the 5 hour drive up from Syosset LI is a golden memory.
The lodge had set meal times and you could miss them if not careful. Meeting everyone in the morning at the dining hall of the lodge and hearing about the days proposed activities and announcements was great.
The days were usually set up where people would go out around the lake exploring, hiking (I think the lodge had tour guides), Going in to Pottersville (for stuff my parents were looking for I guess) and doing a lot of things that were mentioned above like the caves and Fort Ticonderoga in the morning. Then Monday-Saturday (maybe not Sat- don't remember) The afternoons would always be swimming and water skiing (My sister and I both learned at Arrowhead).
Saturday was arrival/depart day unless you were a two weeker which we did a couple of times I think. Sunday the lodge used the skiboat for tours. I remember a structure to the entire week so that guests would have a full gamut of activities in 1 week. There was a nightlife around the lake at different places and various adults would go out. Kids generally were in groups and "clicks" developed (or continued from previous years) between different age groups. The teenagers would go off on there own and us younger kids would basically stay around the lodge and play games like I mentioned in my earlier post. There were adult Boche Ball tournaments, and older kid vollyball. Both of those occurred on that flat area below the left hill cabin (left as looking down from the hill to the lake. I got involved with the volleyball from time to time but was usually run off because I was to small. But we always found a group that was our age to "hang out" with.
About Richard and Bruce. Richard is actually about my age and Bruce is younger. But as Richard got older he became meaner to us and had his own group to go out with. But you know we were all kids back then and now that we are parents we can look back and understand things much better. Bruce on the other hand was always friendly and used to play with us a lot.
Different groups would visit different "cabins" as the adults do. So the place had a whole unique social structure behind the scenes.
I am running out of time again. I need to ask something: Sometime in the late sixties on the Saturday we were leaving; by accident I left all my Hot Wheels cars (in 1 single and 1 double case) up in the right hill cabin somewhere and my parents would not go back and get them. Did you ever see them? Did Richard or Bruce find them? Just curious to know. I will get back to this quicker next time. Thank you.

Fred
Joe

Bristol, CT

#19 May 4, 2012
I probably have a good amont of pics i spent the mid-late 70's during the summer at Arrowhead.......... if it rains this weekend i will look for them.
harry wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam:
Sincerely,
Harry M.
Diane

Toms River, NJ

#20 May 4, 2012
Fred - you comment about leaving at 4:30 am reminded me of our Saturday morning trips to Schroon Lake in the 60's. My mother wanted to go early and my father didn't. So Mom would set all the clocks ahead (we didnt'have so many then). My father thought we were leaving at 6, but it was really 4:00am. He couldn't figure out why it was still dark when we got to Albany (after driving 3 hours). I guess he figured it out after the first year, but Mom did it every year.

Diane

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pottersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Understanding the Adirondack Scenic Railroad co... (Mar '14) Apr 26 ASR fan 68
Village Justice William Tribou Apr 20 Local citizen 4
News 7 Things the City of Utica Should Invest In Apr 12 Uterus NY 2
schroon lake Facebook Feb '16 Lizard 3
News Ernest Gay recalls murder on its fifth anniversary (May '08) Feb '16 John bova 31
News Stillwater woman charged in stabbing (Oct '15) Feb '16 Troy mom 3
Taxi driver Feb '16 Kaz 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pottersville Mortgages