Incentive needed for sidewalk cleanin...

Incentive needed for sidewalk cleaning in Potsdam?

There are 7 comments on the North Country Now story from Sep 18, 2012, titled Incentive needed for sidewalk cleaning in Potsdam?. In it, North Country Now reports that:

When asked to maintain clean sidewalks and alleys, our downtown businesses should get a tax break if they comply.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Country Now.

localguy12

Rome, NY

#1 Sep 18, 2012
Maybe Potsdam PD should just start ticketing the idiots who throw the garbage on the ground instead of in one of the many trash cans located downtown. And why isn't the garbage emptied on the weekends when it is most full? We certainly have enough over paid town and village workers who could do this, wait, it would probably take 3 of them to do this job and my taxes would go up more. Does anyone else remember a time when there was personal responsibility?
Trash

Utica, NY

#2 Sep 18, 2012
I ask the same question... why aren't the trash cans emptied during the weekend when they are used the most? Instead it sits there overflowing onto the sidewalks and streets, attracting squirrels and seagulls which spread it around even more. And most of it is Little Italy pizza boxes, Hot Tamale and Baglery take out boxes left behind by drunkards after the bar. Shouldn't those businesses be held somewhat responsible for the mess they are helping to create?

Horrible site to see and not at all a good impression to leave on visitors and parents.
Trash

Utica, NY

#3 Sep 18, 2012
Sorry, should be sight to see!
cool story bro

Rome, NY

#4 Sep 18, 2012
Here's a suggestion for our out-of-ideas mayor, free of charge: Organize a "Pick Up Potsdam" weekly event where community members volunteer to clean up our downtown area late Sunday morning/early afternoon. No new taxes or legislation required, just some good old fashioned community spirit.
citizen

Canton, NY

#5 Sep 19, 2012
Trash wrote:
I ask the same question... why aren't the trash cans emptied during the weekend when they are used the most? Instead it sits there overflowing onto the sidewalks and streets, attracting squirrels and seagulls which spread it around even more. And most of it is Little Italy pizza boxes, Hot Tamale and Baglery take out boxes left behind by drunkards after the bar. Shouldn't those businesses be held somewhat responsible for the mess they are helping to create?
Horrible site to see and not at all a good impression to leave on visitors and parents.
I have seen Bagelry employees outside cleaning up in front of the store picking up the trash and empty the trash bin plus there is more than those 3 businesses that are open late at night.
localguy12

Rome, NY

#6 Sep 20, 2012
cool story bro wrote:
Here's a suggestion for our out-of-ideas mayor, free of charge: Organize a "Pick Up Potsdam" weekly event where community members volunteer to clean up our downtown area late Sunday morning/early afternoon. No new taxes or legislation required, just some good old fashioned community spirit.
Instead- local judges and probation work with individuals who require so many hours of community service. Why not make cleaning the streets on Saturday and Sunday morning part of that program? Kills two birds with one stone. And I too have seen businesses cleaning up messes left but it isn't enough, something else needs to be done.
potsdam

Springfield, NJ

#7 Sep 20, 2012
localguy12 wrote:
Maybe Potsdam PD should just start ticketing the idiots who throw the garbage on the ground instead of in one of the many trash cans located downtown. And why isn't the garbage emptied on the weekends when it is most full? We certainly have enough over paid town and village workers who could do this, wait, it would probably take 3 of them to do this job and my taxes would go up more. Does anyone else remember a time when there was personal responsibility?
Potsdam PD is too busy investigating and arresting public urinators to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
impregnate (May '17) 6 hr Whatever 3
News Prosecutor plans new review of Garrett Phillips... Tue Danny Carranza 15
Who's the cute blonde hostess at Lobster House? (Apr '17) Tue Sweetie 2
tonya villnave Feb 18 wheresthatheadlodged 2
gandy Feb 18 wheresthatheadlodged 11
News Onondaga DA among many named in civil rights su... (May '17) Feb 14 Danny Carranza 34
Becca at stewarts (Mar '17) Feb 12 Stayblazed 7

Potsdam Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Potsdam Mortgages