Upset MOM

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

I would like to bring to attention that in this day and age your child's diploma can and will be held for ransom. If your child owes two dollars for a drink at school and they are about to graduate than parents be aware your child will not be getting their diploma they will get a letter that states they owe obligations and will have to pay them before they receive their diploma. Well when I went to school we earned our diploma we didn't pay for it. Although then again the school could just be making a mistake and your child doesn't owe for a book or any other obligation and they still give them and IOU. I want to know if it's real worth the pain that our children go threw not only to get the diploma but the let down of not receiving it when they have earned it.I know as a parent it is up to me to teach my children that they have responsibilities to them self's as well as the world around them and that the world is a hard place. well I guess now the schools going to make sure that our children get a first hand invention to disappointment and pain before they can hit the working world. But don't worry you will get a I'm sorry and it shouldn't of happened well I guess that's all the good memories you can handle at one time.
sadd

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

wow, im sorry if your child was unable to walk across the stage because of something so petty. Just because you owe money you don't get your diploma??? that is wrong on EVERY level. These schools get paid EVERYDAY your child is not absent,so if they owe a small amount it shouldn't deterime if they graduate. Also, maybe the bookkeepers who know how much your child owes should let you know in advance!...instead, they wait until right before they child is leaving the school for life, then decide 'oh wait, joe shmoe owes .75!!!' I've never heard of anyhting so rude!
rock on bitches

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

thats against the law and the department of education call them new york state department of education albany ny
Upset MOM

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

What I'm saying is my child was wrongly accused he owed nothing. I believe that there is a better way of doing this after all look what the do for criminals when they can not pay they give them community service . Now they can not stop your child from graduating they just keep their diploma until all obligation are made. I'm not accusing the fact that if a child owes money the should have to pay, but come on who is really paying for any bills that our children may accumulate while in school we are as the adults right so send me a bill but give me more than a twenty four hour notice after all is the school district the only ones that have not heard about the economy and where it is at. I wouldn't care if I was rich and could pay the bill right then what about the people that make up the community where is their justice. It is not against the law for the school to keep your child's diploma in actuality there is several reasons that they can keep your child's life work from them. Lets think about this what are they teaching the young youth of the world that no matter how hard you work to achieve this great thing in your young life if we make a mistake or even if you owe us we will take your hard work from you so pay up or else and on top of that we only need to give you a twenty four hour notice what is this a doctors visit please. I want to know would of this happened if I worked at the school or do faculty get more of a notice than the community I would bet so. Let me just clarify something my child got his diploma just not when he was suppose too.This is a crushing epidemic wrong in our system there are other ways of doing this first lets send notices to the parents after all most of our children are done with school one or two weeks before graduation next find a solution not an altering down fall for the child. Take away prom, work services, or even take parents to court after all if they where skipping school who would they hold liable.I'm just trying to make sure that not one more child has to go threw this, in this day and age kids don't even want to go to school help me come up with a solution to this because I don't care how long this takes I'm not going to stop until this is changed for good I mean they made the law no kid left behind.
Kenna91

Cheyenne, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

It is ridiculous that the shools are able to keep ur diploma if they decide even after you have all your credits that you arnt ready to greaduate or if they mess up on they're records or even if u owe two dollars and if u do owe money they should atleast give u more notice then a day i would be livid if that ever happens to my son i think someone needs to rethink there rules and how to get money they r owed because after being in school for at least 12 years they should be able to walk across the stage with there heads held high and know without a doubt that they r getting there diploma
WTF

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

What in god’s name are you talking about?

“This is a crushing epidemic wrong in our system”??? Seriously? First that sentence does not make a whole lot of sense, but more importantly, it is an “epidemic”??? You said it yourself, your child got to walk at graduation and he/she got their diploma. Where is the issue. When I graduated, they didn’t give us actual diplomas when we walked no matter what, they were mailed out after. What exactly is the issue.

You say a lot of things in your two posts. You talk about the “message” that it sends to our children. I think it sends an important message, one that is lacking in many people these days. Personal accountability, and taking responsibility for one’s obligations. Is it the schools fault that your child had an outstanding obligation? Or is it your child’s?

You also say several contradictory things in your two posts. In the first one you insinuate that the diploma was withheld for $2 for a drink, then you say that you wouldn’t care if you were rich and you could pay the bill, then you say that your child actually owed nothing. What exactly took place?

Lastly you claim that the school only gave you 24 hours’ notice. If the child didn’t actually owe anything, why wasn’t this time enough to clear it up? You claim that is wasn’t time enough because “of the economy”. But what does the economy have to do with it, if nothing was owed?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the school did not give more notice than 24-hour. I know that when I was in high school, all financial and administrative obligations were made clear to each student before finals week even started, and as you said in your post, this most of the time is weeks before graduation. And I know that this still takes place, because my wife is a teacher.

Perhaps your child just didn’t take the responsibility to inform you that they needed either $2, or too much money to possibly raise because of the economy, or no money at all, depending on which portion of your post you read.

Long story short, I think you are either knowingly or unknowingly being untruthful about why something happened, what it took to clear it up, how much notice you were given, and in the end, it was really not that big a deal in the first place.

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is a crushing epidemic in our system.
Upset MOM

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

First off I'm not saying that the kids shouldn't pay their obligations what I'm saying is its up to the parents to pay this money and if your child skips school do they send a note home with the child or would you get the call. Your wrong about the twenty four hour notice our children got told at practice the day before graduation and as far as my child sir he was wrongly accused and promised by the principal that his diploma would be at graduation and how it would be a honor for them to hand him his diploma personally.I'm sorry that back in your day they handed you a fake diploma i believe they probably changed that rule because I my self would much rather see what I worked for than an IOU but some people are different.I believe that our young people are not always taught right, but honestly if these kids that actually stay in school to graduate at 17,18,19 or even20 years old like my son I don't believe these kids don't have any sense of their obligations.Another thing I have no more kids in school this is not about my child it is about the next child and how much is it worth to that individual. I really did not know that this could happen and does happen I just believe it should never happen and as for me being untruthful let me tell you I'm a single mother of three that got no child support and even took in my nieces and nephews out of nine I have one child left to get her ged I also work go to school and make time for my family I really don't have time to get on the internet and lie. I'm one of those few people that believe that our young youth is worth saving and if taken the time with, can become great adults or survive the world in a good way and maybe even taught to take care of their obligations. By the way your taking to a mother that let her son at 15 sit in jail for three days because of his obligations.I believe that everyone should pay for what they want and with a diploma the kids pay with sweat, time and effort and me as a parent pays for school supplies and lunches and the stress of making sure they go to school for that is my obligation.
fyi

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

Upset MOM wrote:
First off I'm not saying that the kids shouldn't pay their obligations what I'm saying is its up to the parents to pay this money and if your child skips school do they send a note home with the child or would you get the call. Your wrong about the twenty four hour notice our children got told at practice the day before graduation and as far as my child sir he was wrongly accused and promised by the principal that his diploma would be at graduation and how it would be a honor for them to hand him his diploma personally.I'm sorry that back in your day they handed you a fake diploma i believe they probably changed that rule because I my self would much rather see what I worked for than an IOU but some people are different.I believe that our young people are not always taught right, but honestly if these kids that actually stay in school to graduate at 17,18,19 or even20 years old like my son I don't believe these kids don't have any sense of their obligations.Another thing I have no more kids in school this is not about my child it is about the next child and how much is it worth to that individual. I really did not know that this could happen and does happen I just believe it should never happen and as for me being untruthful let me tell you I'm a single mother of three that got no child support and even took in my nieces and nephews out of nine I have one child left to get her ged I also work go to school and make time for my family I really don't have time to get on the internet and lie. I'm one of those few people that believe that our young youth is worth saving and if taken the time with, can become great adults or survive the world in a good way and maybe even taught to take care of their obligations. By the way your taking to a mother that let her son at 15 sit in jail for three days because of his obligations.I believe that everyone should pay for what they want and with a diploma the kids pay with sweat, time and effort and me as a parent pays for school supplies and lunches and the stress of making sure they go to school for that is my obligation.
What school is this?
Kenna91

Cheyenne, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

She was saying on acount of what happens to other children and it is wrong that any kids diploma is kept from them without any notice to the parents cause not everyone can pull money out there ass and if u arnt part of the solution to this promblem then your part of the problem
Upset MOM

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

This is just about any school in America. It has happened in many states I'm just trying to open parents eye's so they don't have to go threw what I did or my son.But this school is in upstate NY.
omg

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

upset mom stfu!!!!!!!!!!1
heyomg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

sounds like u should go back to school. Remember what u were taught in elementary- if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.- or in the words of eminem- if u aint got nothin nice to say then dont say nothin!-
Was your comment needed? No, it was not.
Why are people so rude?
yikes

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

honestly i graduated this year and the school almond withheld my diploma because i had lost a book, uk what i did? i paid the measly $10 it was for the dam book. and uk what? i went on my merry way. if your kid cant handle owning up to his responsibility then MAYBE he really isn't ready to graduate and go into the adult world. honestly im only 18 and i agree with the school, teenagers have become absolute morons and spoiled brats because they get baby-ed by their family's. look, im young, im poor but ik what im talking about. your kid will grow from the experience so just stop fighting with it because it is a loosing battle.
Keep it real

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

She's lying. A 15 year old cannot go to jail. Have to be 16. She's just stirring trouble. An early Lister called her outnumber she is a liar.
just wondering

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

so, what happens if due to the economy a child's parent lost there job and was evicted, loosing more then just a school book,and does not have means to pay for the book.. Does it seem fair to the child, that they do not get there diploma? A diploma that they worked hard for

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Potsdam Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Potsdam People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••