Potsdam Central School

Posted in the Potsdam Forum

Concerned Tax Payer

Woburn, MA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
As a tax payer in the Potsdam Central School district, I am concerned with he way the school's financial situation is being handled. I fear that our school board is out of touch with us tax payers and not listening to our concerns. First, if we can save a substantial amount of money by closing the middle school, why not do this? Our student size is getting smaller and smaller therfore requiring less and less space. I do not forsee our school getting larger. With no new jobs or expansion in our economic base, large numbers will not be moving in here. Why not use the middle and elementary buildings and lease the highschool (oldest building) to the hospital to use. Second, I read where a retiring music teacher was making over 90K. Seriously? Let allow these tax exempt colleges pitch in and help out the school. Why doesnt Crane Music supply help with the music instruction. Clarkson could help with math and science. The tax situation is getting out of control. Eventually, if not fixed, the school will become bankrupt and fall into the hands of the state.
concerned about education

Ticonderoga, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2013
If you are concerned about the school's financial situation, you need to contact the state legislator and insist that they fix the formula for education funding. The schools all over the area have been gutted by the state, and students are missing out on their education because of it. Increased taxes are the result of the state cutting funding. School districts are being forced to ask taxpayers to shoulder the burden so they can maintain even basic programing. It is not typically because the district has been financially irresponsible.

As for a teacher making 90k - tell me, how many years has she been there? 30? 35? She must have at least a Master's degree, maybe more. Was she teaching after school extras? Teachers work hard, music teachers especially, and starting pay is barely enough to survive. After spending an entire career devoted to education, that seems like a reasonable salary.

Maybe it would be cheaper to close the high school and use the middle school instead. Would it be better for the students? Or does it not matter as long as it saves some money? Our children's education should be top priority. Sadly, the discussion in the US today seems more concerned with the bottom line than creating an educational system that produces thinking, capable adults.
lol

Potsdam, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2013
Potsdam doesn't care about education they care about sports and that's it if you are a jock you are untouchable in that school. Get rid of Brady that will save money he's not worried about kids he's worried about getting his picture in the paper
Old Sage

Potsdam, NY

#4 Mar 19, 2013
lol wrote:
Potsdam doesn't care about education they care about sports and that's it if you are a jock you are untouchable in that school. Get rid of Brady that will save money he's not worried about kids he's worried about getting his picture in the paper
Just watch and see how long it takes for somebody to shut this thread down. My bet is they're already working on it.
lol

Potsdam, NY

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Old Sage wrote:
<quoted text>Just watch and see how long it takes for somebody to shut this thread down. My bet is they're already working on it.
The truth is a hard pill to swallow sometimes
Likes Facts

Potsdam, NY

#6 Mar 19, 2013
The population is not "going down" in the district. There are smaller numbers right now in the middle school area, and then they increase right back up to around 120 per grade again. Cutting the middle school will not solve any long term problems. The problem as stated in another post is the state formula. The state under-funds rural and poor districts.
Better look again

Boston, MA

#7 Mar 27, 2013
LIKES FACTS...well according to an article in the North Country Now last week, citing North Country Public Radio, the North Country is infact loosing residents according to the last census. The county, as a whole, has seen population loses over the last few decades. Citing high taxes and lack of job growth, many current workers are finding jobs elsewhere and leaving the North Country.

I agree in part with CONCERNED TAX PAYER, that we need to find alternatives to our current education configuration. Old ideas and kicking the can down the road is only going to affect the school in the long run and hurt the educational process of our children.

I think what needs to be done is look at what is working and what is not working and fix the problems. Right now, at the time of this writing, we have a middle school principal position that is open. Do we fill it or not? Well lets see. Population of students is going down and we need many updates in high school building. Lets have the highschool move into the middle school, eliminate the middle school idea and than we can have a k-12 all in one building (Lawrence Ave and Middle School building). Huge savings on food, upkeep, fuel, administration costs among many others.

Eliminate all sports funding and allow those who want to participate use the booster club idea. Why should my tax dollars go for things that a small amount of students benifit from. Additionally, elimiate music and arts and allow the colleges to help out. Why not work with the colleges and create a program to help out. Maybe a requirement of college graduation is to have a college art or music major take one semester and help out teaching at the school. Again my tax dollars going to things that only benifit a small amount of students.

What I love about Potsdam is that everyone wants to keep it the way it was "years ago" no matter the expense. What I would be worried about is who is going to pay for all of this when no one is left here because the high taxes have driven everyone out??

Creativity and new ideas are the only ways that Potsdam CSD will survive.
Likes Facts

Potsdam, NY

#8 Mar 30, 2013
I agree with everything else you say, Look Again, but the facts I referred to were specific to the Potsdam District, not the whole county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kerri Mulvaney 15 min medicineman777 30
Crime (May '14) Sun I see 22
where's all the bitches that want to get laid? Sat fuckkkkkkk222 1
Josh Bonno (Apr '13) Sat growup 17
Three Norwood residents jailed on meth-making c... Dec 20 pure trash 12
HILLARY& his lawyer Ed Narrow have aLOT in comm... Dec 19 retired_lovingit 19
Has anyone ever bought from River view homes? (Nov '13) Dec 18 tranquility 15
Potsdam Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web