Gang-related stabbing near SUNY Canton

Gang-related stabbing near SUNY Canton

There are 66 comments on the WWTI story from Oct 27, 2008, titled Gang-related stabbing near SUNY Canton. In it, WWTI reports that:

A SUNY Canton student was stabbed multiple times in a gang assault near campus, according to police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWTI.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CollegeGirl

Canton, NY

#1 Oct 27, 2008
I'm Currently a student at Suny Canton and the suspect actually lives on the next floor up from me, and when we heard about it this scared the living shit out of my roomate and Me. Nothing like this has ever happen around here before!!

Since: Apr 08

Black River, NY

#2 Oct 27, 2008
It is gangbanger thugs bringing their crime from inner city ny to our community. You can take the thug out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of the thug.
Jordan

Canton, NY

#3 Oct 27, 2008
I think Canton needs to UP their security a little if their going go give these inner city little thug wanna b's into our school. And the worse part is these "gangbangers" are probably getting a free ride here through EOP or something.
cbet

Bronx, NY

#4 Oct 27, 2008
Jordan, everyone makes mistakes. Not everybody who commits a crime comes from impoverish homes. Some of these people are from homes of hard working families who does not receive any handouts and have to pay for everything themselves. Maybe you are the one that gets a free ride. This is not to say what was done is right, but you can't always judge.

Black River, NY

#5 Oct 27, 2008
cbet wrote:
Jordan, everyone makes mistakes. Not everybody who commits a crime comes from impoverish homes. Some of these people are from homes of hard working families who does not receive any handouts and have to pay for everything themselves. Maybe you are the one that gets a free ride. This is not to say what was done is right, but you can't always judge.
Define mistake. Define crime. You will see they are not the same. A man nearly dies and you say the suspects made a mistake. Probally the suspects are thinking that the mistake they made is not killing the victim and eliminating a witness that will testify against them in court. That is the way these thugs think. They are probally hoping that they get a liberal judge that would also say they made a "mistake" and slap their wrists and set them free to make more "mistakes". They are criminals and should be sentenced to the maximum time allowed for their "mistake".
police

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Oct 27, 2008
any one wont to go cow tiping with me ?
I HATE IGNORANCE

United States

#7 Oct 27, 2008
DoubleTrouble you sound very ignorant. You have no right to judge or assume about anyone no matter what they did. It was a terrible crime and that is true. But you are no one to say anything about people from the innercity. You would have a different view if these "gangbangers" were your friends. So keep your ignorant mind and brain in SUNY CANTON! Unless you know the whole Fuc*ing story keep your mouth shut. Please && Thank You =]
TRUE STORY

United States

#8 Oct 27, 2008
welll.... i think that this situation has very little to do with the city but more to do with snitcy bitch ass people. if people werent hype beasts o claiming to be n gangs jus because theyre 'affiliated' with those who are this wouldnt have occured. ive also noticed that many of the people up here are predjudiced when it comes to people from the city and black people in general. double trouble wrote that we're getting free rides and north country people are working for theirs well guess what?- so is everybody else. and the reason people get EOP is because they dont have parents and/or very little income therefore they dont have the same resources as everybody else so relax next time you want to be ignorant.because if thats how u want ti be let me try it- have you ever noticed that in places as far from urbanization worse things than this usually occurs? im surprised there hasnt been a mass shooting because some depressed wacked out white kid failed his tests and couldnt girlfriend and decided to kill everybody. so think next time you open your mouth for the simple fact that you dont know any and everything.your ignorance is what we have to fight everyday........if your not part of the solution youre part of the problem...
Bronx Native

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Oct 28, 2008
Ignorance with no face is greatly appreciated thank you. Your judgment about inner city kids is pretty bias Jordan it angers me. But what can i expect from a keyboard racist. Also not every inner city kid receives EOP. Surprise people there is violence in the real world just not TV. But just continue to smoke your pot, pop pills, get drunk publicly, and shot deer.
This Is My home

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Oct 28, 2008
I am proud I live here, proud that I cut and burn wood, shoot deer and everything else that is part of life up here. What's more I am also happy to share life up here with others who appreciate it. What I can't stand are people who because they don't like this way of life choose to belittle us and call us ignorant and hicks just because we choose to live here. Those of you that tell us to tip cows or make fun of us because we hunt are no better than those people up here that are prejudiced.

I think SUNY Canton should reexamine their policy on admitting students with a history of violent felonies. My understanding is at least one of the attackers had multiple problems with the law. many people send their kids here bcause the campus is safe. SUNY Cnaton may want examine their admittance policy
student

United States

#11 Oct 28, 2008
I think that people should not judge people on what there background is most of you dont live in the inner city so you dont know what it is like living there people are dying everyday most of them are family memebers. the reason why kids are coming to school is because they are trying to get out the hood and do something better for there selves so that they wont end up being killed so before you try to judge people you should get to know them and see where they come from!
queen of gods

United States

#12 Oct 28, 2008
i have lived in upstate ny my whole life,and it isn't just city kids doing crimes.colleges all over the country have violence and it will happen when you have a variety of students from different backgrounds you are bound to get some form of violence.lets not put the blame of one type of person.i chose to go to suny canton because of the diversity here.i don't look at people who are black, or people who arent like me differently,i like to learn about where they come from.if people from the city choose to go to college obviously they want to do something with their life,and i think everyone needs to stop judging everyone.we dont know what their story is.its just really sad how people can stereotype so fast.
student

United States

#14 Oct 29, 2008
living here on campus for just a few months I and nearly half of the other students kno what the whole situation is basically about. There is hatred against most of the students being that there are "crips" and also "BLOODS", if you are from the city you would kno that these 2 type of gangs are against eachother. Everyone should stop trying to defend mathew if you dont kno the situation. Whether mathew was apart of the BLOODS or not obviously it was not right that he was stabbed but as well he had part in the gang relation. The 2 different types of gangs were suppose to fight at the foot bridge and everyone knows that. Mathew shouldnt have been there if he was so called an "innocent baseball player", he should have kept walking to the movies with his 30 other friends if that was their so called plans for the night! He knew what he was up to and so did the other 30 people standing outside the footbridge Sunday night. Mathew just happened to be the lucky target hiding his identity at first by wearing a skii mask. If you havent noticed the person who he claims stabbed him also has a knife wound to his hand. think about it!! Someone isnt telling the truth or the whole story isnt being told!! Its just so sad and crushing to see 3 people out of almost 40 getting all the blame. There should be consequences for everyone who was there. This is crazy! but just remember God is good and hopefully noone who had to do with it gets away with it!!!!!!!!!!

United States

#15 Oct 31, 2008
I HATE IGNORANCE wrote:
DoubleTrouble you sound very ignorant. You have no right to judge or assume about anyone no matter what they did. It was a terrible crime and that is true. But you are no one to say anything about people from the innercity. You would have a different view if these "gangbangers" were your friends. So keep your ignorant mind and brain in SUNY CANTON! Unless you know the whole Fuc*ing story keep your mouth shut. Please && Thank You =]
Please tell me what part of my comment was ignorant. I have dealt with gangbangers from the innercity so I think I have a right to give my professional opinion. They are thugs, cowards and the scum of the earth. They would pimp their own sister out to get money to buy crack. I wouldn't want a gangbanger as a friend. I would rather put them in jail where they belong. And if you don't have the intelligence to write a comment without swearing then that makes you ignorant.
Google

Oakdale, NY

#16 Oct 31, 2008
student wrote:
living here on campus for just a few months I and nearly half of the other students kno what the whole situation is basically about. There is hatred against most of the students being that there are "crips" and also "BLOODS", if you are from the city you would kno that these 2 type of gangs are against eachother. Everyone should stop trying to defend mathew if you dont kno the situation. Whether mathew was apart of the BLOODS or not obviously it was not right that he was stabbed but as well he had part in the gang relation. The 2 different types of gangs were suppose to fight at the foot bridge and everyone knows that. Mathew shouldnt have been there if he was so called an "innocent baseball player", he should have kept walking to the movies with his 30 other friends if that was their so called plans for the night! He knew what he was up to and so did the other 30 people standing outside the footbridge Sunday night. Mathew just happened to be the lucky target hiding his identity at first by wearing a skii mask. If you havent noticed the person who he claims stabbed him also has a knife wound to his hand. think about it!! Someone isnt telling the truth or the whole story isnt being told!! Its just so sad and crushing to see 3 people out of almost 40 getting all the blame. There should be consequences for everyone who was there. This is crazy! but just remember God is good and hopefully noone who had to do with it gets away with it!!!!!!!!!!
I've known Mathew for about 15 years, and I highly doubt he is in the "Bloods" gang or is in anyway affiliated with it. He might have a tendency of being in the wrong place at the wrong time but I'm sure he didn't know about the "Gang fight" which was going to happen. Mathew is not stupid enough to go all the way upstate just to fight, he actually wants a bright future. Just because he is from the city doesn't mean he is a "gangbanger" or a "thug", any comments like this just proves how stuck up people are and how quick they are to judge someone from where they come from. Even the attackers don't deserve comments like this, they might have been from a fairly decent place, but might have just gotten involved in things without logical thought(saying this, Maybe Mathew has also made that mistake but I highly doubt it). People make mistakes and if you feel the whole truth hasn't been said, then go report it. Honestly, if I knew about a "gang fight" beforehand which you implied he did know, I would report it so incidents like this wouldn't happen and people wouldn't get hurt, and knowing Mathew I'm sure he would have tried his best to avoid such an event.
Wow People

United States

#17 Oct 31, 2008
your comment about them buying crack and all that other NONSENSE (becauase thats what it is) shows that you dont know the "gangbangers" and havent dealt with them. You sound ignorant because you are unaware of what is going on. You are only reading what is in the media. So when your at court or at the prison or being questioned then you can say otherwise. This has turned into a circus. So many lives have been scarred and tampered with on both ends of the situation. Nobody is being considerate by making all these comments. Why parade around and say that they are "gangbangers" and "scum of the earth". You are no one to judge. What if someone was to say you were a redneck racist because you bumped and didnt say anything. They know jack crap about you and are just assuming about you. You are Pretty Ignorant.
i hate ignorance

United States

#18 Oct 31, 2008
double trouble... your truly an idiot! and im really sorry for you because you must have disgusting parents for raising you this way. it disgusts me to hear or see people like you, you dont know anything about anything and all evil on this planetis because of ignorant idiots like you. i hope you rot in hell.
police

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Nov 1, 2008
cow tiping tonight in canton at 8:oo
Canton alumna

Potsdam, NY

#20 Nov 1, 2008
Although Canton should have filtered out any potential student with a history of violent crime, the NYS education department apparently also missed the mark by rewarding financial aid to this individual. That money should have gone to a student, regardless of race or location, more deserving of it.
The footbridges have always been ripe for crime and it's a miracle to me that something has not happened before this in that particular location. I hope the college will take steps to make that area safer. I have a niece who is currently a freshman at SUNY Canton and I told her to just stay clear of that area. The rest of the campus is well-lit and amply supplied with blue lights though. I went on to SUNY Potsdam to get my BS, and I feel that the campus there is even more lacking in sufficient safety measures.
As far as the whole "inner-city" debate...I was born, raised, and have lived most of my 37 years in the north country, and I know some good old north country boys who are a damn sight scarier and more violent than most any kid from the inner city.
DUHbary

United States

#21 Nov 4, 2008
I was a student in the 80's and a lot of "stuff" happened on the Bridge.
All was covered up mostly. But the ZAPs had a problem and lost their charter.
Nothing changes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mary Poole child abuser still working at the Po... 2 hr Angry 1
News Norfolk man jailed after being charged with 201... 2 hr Sick SOB 17
Mary Poole Child Abuser still UNpunished for he... 19 hr Concerned 51
Tracy sawyer (Mar '13) 19 hr Crack-a-lackin' 10
white trash dancing (Apr '15) Wed cathy_1976 111
Kyle Weems std- be warned!! Feb 9 Yes 2
Labrador Puppies? Feb 8 hobo 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Potsdam Mortgages