Potsdam mayor calls for police depart...

Potsdam mayor calls for police department investigation

There are 114 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from May 27, 2012, titled Potsdam mayor calls for police department investigation. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

Mayor Steven W. Yurgartis is calling for an independent investigation of the Potsdam Police Department after learning that an officer failed for nearly 18 months to report a property damage accident he caused.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
A Real Investigation

New York, NY

#1 May 30, 2012
Finally!
Concerned

New York, NY

#2 May 31, 2012
This ismuch needed and too long in coming, this investigation must leave no stone unturned. Citizens pay too much taxes to expect anything less than the best.
Chump

Syracuse, NY

#3 May 31, 2012
PPD trying to protect their own.The code of silence at work here
The tables have turned

Potsdam, NY

#4 May 31, 2012
Someone needs to tell the mayor to investigate the call to burger king parking lot in march when bates future son in law was passed out drunk in the drive thru and got no tickets!
Booze

Hollywood, FL

#6 Jun 1, 2012
Hmm interesting
Uhmmm

Potsdam, NY

#7 Jun 1, 2012
First of all for those of you who have posted it looks to me like what happens in Potsdam is none of you concern, not one of you claims to be from Potsdam so stfu. Second being from Potsdam I have heard that an investigation was conducted and discipline was handed out. There should be no need for the Mayor to further destroy the relationship between government and the police department by calling for an "external" investigation. Way to slap those members of that department who go to work each day and do their jobs in the face. There are already several members of that department that I know of who are looking for employment elsewhere so if the Mayors goal is to destroy that department he's do an outstanding job of it. I think that perhaps the Mayor should look back at the last election and vote on dissolution and remember that 66% of the voters want the police departments services. His and the rest of the boards actions are counter to that vote. I for one will not reside in this village without adequate police protection. Wake up Yuggie
Short Memory

New York, NY

#8 Jun 1, 2012
Uhmm said:
"Way to slap those members of that department who go to work each day and do their jobs in the face."

Mnn, last man who said the Mayor was "slapping face" was unemployed a month later as I recall...

Be careful.
Uhmmm

Potsdam, NY

#9 Jun 1, 2012
Mnn, last man who said the Mayor was "slapping face" was unemployed a month later as I recall...

Since I dont work for him I dont really care.....
Classof78

Potsdam, NY

#10 Jun 1, 2012
Crooked cop. About time.
Important Questions

New York, NY

#11 Jun 1, 2012
Fact: The Sgt caused damage to property after leaving a party at night.
Questions: Was alchohol served at that party? Did the Sgt Consume alchohol while at the party?
Fact: The party was held at the complainants home
Question: Can the complainant tell us, if any other members of the force were in attendance?
Did any of those people hear property being destroyed?
Fact: The new chief was named on 3/12/12.
The old chief "resigned" 3/31/12.
The chief says he beacme aware of the situation on 3/19/12 and part of the internal investigation was conducted by the former chief.

Question: why would the outgoing chief conduct a part of an investigation, knowing he was leaving 12 days later?
Why wouldn't the new chief conduct the entire investigation?
Fact: The chief stated that the Lt. learned of this from a face book post on 3/19/12 and immediately notified him.
Question: When did the LT. First have knowledge of the accident?
Fact: The Chief states that he thinks the internal investigation was appropriate.
Question: Did anyone contact the complainants insurance company to take responsibility for teh damage that this innocent insurance company paid for?
Does the insurance company have a compension claim to be reimbursed, or has the "statute of limitaton ran on that?
Fact: The Sgt. admits to causing damage, and then leaving a scene, and not reporting an accident, and then filing a report a year and a half late.
Question: Did anyone interview the complainant to incorporate his knowledge of teh facts in the report? Did the report address whether or not alcohol was involved in the incident?
Fact: Lt, Sgt, and current chief were interviewed for vacant chief post.
Question: Did any of them disclose to the board this 18 month old incident at that time?
Fact: Old Chief announced retirement on 1/23/12 effective 3/31/12.
Question: Why did old chief retire?
what a joke

Syracuse, NY

#12 Jun 1, 2012
If you people can't see what is really happening you need to look very hard. Sgt. Ames did make a mistake by not reporting the accident in a timely manner. Jerald Jenks jr. told the mayor of this accident, only because he was arrested for D.W.I. by the Potsdam Police dept.I'm sure Mr. Jenks didn't tell the mayor about the time he was given breaks by the P.P.D. Now Mayor Yurgarties who is anti police is using this not hire or promote any new police officer's. If the owner of the vehicle is happy being compensated for the damage to his all is done.I'm sure Sgt. Ames has been delt with at the P.D. and the out come of that is an issue not to be made public.Give it a rest Mr. Mayor move on to some problems that really matter.
So Foolish

Syracuse, NY

#13 Jun 1, 2012
Why did Mr. Jenks wait for 18 months to report this to the mayor. If he is trying to be a good citizen, shouldn't that have been done at the time of the incident.
Not about Jenks

New York, NY

#14 Jun 1, 2012
Jenk's actions are in no way at issue here.
Tax Payers are concerned that 1/2 of their taxes are not used to pay Mr. Jenks.
The village is not going bankrupt by spending $7million on Mr. Jenks over his lifetime.
Infact, the worse Mr. Jenks is painted to be, only makes the department look bad.

If 50% of tax dollars are paying for a department, should one not feel confident that this department is being led and ran correctly?
Hmmm

Potsdam, NY

#15 Jun 1, 2012
I don't think Jenks knew of it until another witness came forward...which prompted SGT Ames to admit to it after he was questioned about it.
Djv

Potsdam, NY

#16 Jun 1, 2012
Drunk cops harassing citizens or conducting investigations or using confidential informants that require trust and honesty. Clearly Ames is not fit for the job when he's getting hammered and smashing vehicles and not reporting it or even offering to pay for it. He confessed because he got caught, not because he was owning up to his mistake. It's what criminals do, act sorry after they are caught. Good work jenks or jinks (sp?)Ames should not have a job
retard

Potsdam, NY

#17 Jun 1, 2012
Uhmmm wrote:
First of all for those of you who have posted it looks to me like what happens in Potsdam is none of you concern, not one of you claims to be from Potsdam so stfu. Second being from Potsdam I have heard that an investigation was conducted and discipline was handed out. There should be no need for the Mayor to further destroy the relationship between government and the police department by calling for an "external" investigation. Way to slap those members of that department who go to work each day and do their jobs in the face. There are already several members of that department that I know of who are looking for employment elsewhere so if the Mayors goal is to destroy that department he's do an outstanding job of it. I think that perhaps the Mayor should look back at the last election and vote on dissolution and remember that 66% of the voters want the police departments services. His and the rest of the boards actions are counter to that vote. I for one will not reside in this village without adequate police protection. Wake up Yuggie
"adequate police protection"?!?. That by far is the funniest description of the Potsdam police department I've ever heard. Are you scared of living in big bad Potsdam?? Without the PPD just imagine the college kids pissing wherever they want!! It'd be insanity!! The streets would flow with urine! If you haven't noticed crime is not a huge factor in Potsdam. And when something serious does happen it gets flubbed up anyway. The PPD patrols 4 square miles. 4 square miles! And half our taxes go toward it. I'd say it's time to wake up and at the very least cut back this waste of money starting with the crooked ones first.
mso4

Syracuse, NY

#18 Jun 1, 2012
Uhmmm wrote:
We want police protection we just want better people protecting us. Ones who obey the laws they are supposed to uphold. I do live in Potsdam and I for one am glad this is happening.
potsdam

Syracuse, NY

#19 Jun 1, 2012
Uhmmm wrote:
lmao seriously, adequate police protection?? most are a joke except for a couple. I needed them a few time for domestic dispute because my ex didnt know how to keep his hands off me, rather it being tossed into a wall,grabbed, knocked down, choked,or what ever he felt like doing, even point a loaded gun at me.I call for help only for them to do nothing, even when the witnessed his harassment, they just looked other way and said call family court...family court had nothing to do with being stalked, harassed threaten and held hostage what he was doing was criminal and felonys. More like they need to be cleaned out and replaced with ppl that can do there job protect and serve not look other way, cover ups.
OMFG-SERIOUSLY

Potsdam, NY

#20 Jun 2, 2012
Your all a bunch of idiots...just my opinion and since we are all giving it...because really...seriously...first of all anyone with half of a brain cell and who also knows JJ Jenks knows that he is an arrogant little shit who thinks the world owes him because Daddy was a cop and always got his stupid a** out of trouble!!!! Quite obviously NOT doing him any favors...he has been given countless breaks from Potsdam PD and the the Sheriffs dept and has been driving drunk for so long he's lucky he hasn't killed himself or someone else!!!! So God forbid that he didn't get the break this one time...and now he's gonna dig up all kinds of dirt from 2010??? WTF??? Now let's talk about that little party Mike Ames attended at JJ Jenks residence in 2010...because I attended many myself...there was NEVER an occasion when there wasn't at least one minor that JJ or Jordan invited...which was probably why JJ wanted it "handled internally" at the time...so he wouldn't get charged with countless charges of serving minors and endangering...but now that he's pissed he neglectls to remember just how many of us attended those parties!!! JJ needs to grow the frig up...start taking some responsibility for his actions and stop acting like a 12yr old having a temper tantrum in middle school...OMG...really???
mso4

Syracuse, NY

#21 Jun 2, 2012
OMFG-SERIOUSLY wrote:
Your all a bunch of idiots...just my opinion and since we are all giving it...because really...seriously...first of all anyone with half of a brain cell and who also knows JJ Jenks knows that he is an arrogant little shit who thinks the world owes him because Daddy was a cop and always got his stupid a** out of trouble!!!! Quite obviously NOT doing him any favors...he has been given countless breaks from Potsdam PD and the the Sheriffs dept and has been driving drunk for so long he's lucky he hasn't killed himself or someone else!!!! So God forbid that he didn't get the break this one time...and now he's gonna dig up all kinds of dirt from 2010??? WTF??? Now let's talk about that little party Mike Ames attended at JJ Jenks residence in 2010...because I attended many myself...there was NEVER an occasion when there wasn't at least one minor that JJ or Jordan invited...which was probably why JJ wanted it "handled internally" at the time...so he wouldn't get charged with countless charges of serving minors and endangering...but now that he's pissed he neglectls to remember just how many of us attended those parties!!! JJ needs to grow the frig up...start taking some responsibility for his actions and stop acting like a 12yr old having a temper tantrum in middle school...OMG...really???
So there were kids and cops drinking together? Just another reading to have a investigation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stephanie Bratton Wright 5 hr heard wrong 26
Teamsters Local 687 6 hr doe 2
meth fumes over massena rolling towards potsdam! 19 hr BONJO PEETS 3
News No evidence placing Hillary at murder scene, po... 22 hr howdy 13
News Garrett Phillipsa s mother says complaint she f... Tue triissan 23
Brian Hammond corrupting teamsters, does not ba... (Feb '13) Tue teamster 11
timber tavern new owwner May 24 howdy 10
More from around the web

Potsdam People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE