Proposed music cut raises sour notes ...

Proposed music cut raises sour notes in Potsdam

There are 21 comments on the mpcourier.com story from Mar 20, 2013, titled Proposed music cut raises sour notes in Potsdam. In it, mpcourier.com reports that:

Some residents expressed opposition to proposals by school officials to reduce its music program as a way to offset a projected budget deficit of $1.2 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at mpcourier.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lol

Utica, NY

#1 Mar 20, 2013
With crane being a big part of suny potsdam why not cut sports or Mr. Brady he seems ready to cut everything and anyone as long as nobody touches his money. Like I said in a different post potsdam school only cares if you play sports anything else is a bother and a waste of money according to them.
Interesting

Utica, NY

#2 Mar 20, 2013
lol wrote:
With crane being a big part of suny potsdam why not cut sports or Mr. Brady he seems ready to cut everything and anyone as long as nobody touches his money. Like I said in a different post potsdam school only cares if you play sports anything else is a bother and a waste of money according to them.
Interesting how they find money to pay for what they WANT to spend it on, but for academics, it's "Sorry, we only have the money to pay to meet the minimum requirements."
wow

Utica, NY

#3 Mar 22, 2013
Since crane is so prevalent in the Potsdam area... Cut the HS music program and get an after school music program at the college. It'd be good teaching experience for the college students as well. Also when I went to PCS, band and choir were the biggest joke classes at the school. We took gym more seriously... The music department is a joke. Just extra classes to fill time.

Cut music and bring back useful classes that Mr Sipher and Mr Leuthouser (sorry I butchered his name) taught. You know, classes that teach you something you can use after high school
lol

Utica, NY

#4 Mar 22, 2013
wow wrote:
Since crane is so prevalent in the Potsdam area... Cut the HS music program and get an after school music program at the college. It'd be good teaching experience for the college students as well. Also when I went to PCS, band and choir were the biggest joke classes at the school. We took gym more seriously... The music department is a joke. Just extra classes to fill time.

Cut music and bring back useful classes that Mr Sipher and Mr Leuthouser (sorry I butchered his name) taught. You know, classes that teach you something you can use after high school
Gym is a bigger joke then music it's harder to play a instrument then to throw a ball anyone can be a gym teacher not everyone can teach music. you think that the college kids have time to take on kids to teach you have obviously never seen there work loads they call the crane kids vampires because they never leave crane.
wong

Utica, NY

#5 Mar 22, 2013
We no spell! We no do math! We know not where Cyprus is! So let us fire them that teaches us that and keep the flute teacher! Makes lots of sense....
BeenAwhile

United States

#6 Mar 22, 2013
If you cuts arts and music, cut gym and sports. Don't cut the entire music department and leave the sports alone, divide it up equally. The kids that do either activity will be the ones that suffer, so instead of taking all from one take a little from each.
sunday sunday sunday

Ogdensburg, NY

#7 Mar 22, 2013
the people who makes these decisions put no value into the arts and don't consider how the mental stimulation involved outweighs that of athletic endeavors. there are art and music history classes, yet no sports history.... there is no academic counterpart to sports, yet there is in the other two....
Durrrrp

Utica, NY

#8 Mar 23, 2013
Tuesday night the board votes on whether they are cutting out the entire junior high. If they do that, then the school is losing 2 teachers in each of the core areas. Think about that and what that would mean to the school.
da

Utica, NY

#9 Mar 23, 2013
Haha fat lazy musicians can just keep bitching. Athletics are a proud part of Potsdam's history. The community comes out to the games to support those kids. Parents and friends go to concerts, half of them would prefer not to attend though.

Athletics are healthy and can teach life lessons. Music teaches you how to sit by yourself and not get a job after college
BeenAwhile

United States

#10 Mar 23, 2013
da wrote:
Haha fat lazy musicians can just keep bitching. Athletics are a proud part of Potsdam's history. The community comes out to the games to support those kids. Parents and friends go to concerts, half of them would prefer not to attend though.

Athletics are healthy and can teach life lessons. Music teaches you how to sit by yourself and not get a job after college
Sports are important to the kids who play them, music is important to the kids who sing or play an instrument. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an overweight musician living on welfare which seems to be what you're implying.

Both activities require hours of practice and dedication, hard work and patience. Don't judge one unless you're willing to judge the other.
lol

Utica, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2013
da wrote:

Typical jock did the teachers make sure you passed all you're classes so you could throw your ball better? Also how many sport stars from potsdam are there Trevor Scott and........so if you wanna talk about not getting a job after college lets start there.
Cannot Make This Stuff Up

Utica, NY

#12 Mar 23, 2013
The article states, "We have to make significant cuts to maintain the quality of our educational programs." Apparently the less we have to offer our kids and the larger the class sizes, the better the results... Silly me! I always thought that teachers had something to do with education. Now I know better...
wong

Utica, NY

#13 Mar 23, 2013
How is getting rid of Math and Science teachers helping to maintain the quality of the educational program?
lol

Utica, NY

#14 Mar 23, 2013
Math and science no teach me how to hit ball I hit ball good in school now mes work at Burger King
da

Utica, NY

#15 Mar 24, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>Typical jock did the teachers make sure you passed all you're classes so you could throw your ball better? Also how many sport stars from potsdam are there Trevor Scott and........so if you wanna talk about not getting a job after college lets start there.
Craig Conroy. Olympian. Over 1000 games played in the NHL. Now helping with coaching duties in Calgary. Oh yes, he also had a day dedicated to him in Potsdam
wong

Utica, NY

#16 Mar 24, 2013
Conroy never graduated from Potsdam. He was off to prep school his junior year... However, we're all proud of him.
lol

Utica, NY

#17 Mar 24, 2013
da wrote:
<quoted text>Craig Conroy. Olympian. Over 1000 games played in the NHL. Now helping with coaching duties in Calgary. Oh yes, he also had a day dedicated to him in Potsdam
Ok 2 out of the thousands of kids that have played before
Be more innovative

Utica, NY

#18 Mar 24, 2013
What we should be looking at is opportunities to trim when alternatives and creativity will still allow the same educational programming to be offered.
For example, if 30 students per each grade 9-12 play an instrument, and we assume that lessons could include on average 3 students, depending on instruments, we are talking about 40 lessons per week. If we paid a Crane student $30 per lesson, and after 33 weeks, we have paid some $40,000 per year. Let's throw in an extra $15,000 for Crane to assist with band/orchestra, and we have saved some $55k per year (teacher and benefits). Now let's talk sports. Take all modified sports where a youth organization exists and cut them (so basketball, football, LAX, baseball, etc.). Those groups do their own fundraising and quite effectively. Now we continue the use of volunteer Moms and Dads who can coach and we save in coach salary and busing.
How about flipped classrooms for AP classes? Find a stellar teacher who teaches AP Bio, for example, and have them record lessons using technology and highly-engaging interactive education, and include 5 classrooms full of students enrolled per teacher at 4 schools (20 classrooms). Then the teacher could travel each day to a different school once a week to meet with those classes to reinforce, review, etc. One day is devoted to planning and grading. With technology, some courses that can be administered through problem solving and testing online, and require little review of essays and papers, could work this way. Colleges deliver this type of coursework. Then schools in our region can continue to offer AP classes.
As the District if they have investigated this option.
There are ideas like this that have been put forth for several years but it seems we don't do anything quite proactively in our district. Part of the problem is we pose the challenges as what can we keep and what do we need to cut and how much taxes can we raise to keep them, vs. let's keep all that we have and find creative ways to deliver all of it. Until we re-frame the challenges, we will consistently see the same results. Cut, cut, cut.
concerned about education

Ticonderoga, NY

#19 Mar 24, 2013
Let's just look at this music suggestion for a second - you want to pay Crane students, who are in college to learn how to be music teachers, to be music teachers before they've finished. They are not yet qualified to do so, and, believe it or not, teaching music is a full time job. You can't just bring some kid in for the hour a day he/she is free and expect that to maintain the quality programming Potsdam has in music. What about All-County, Area All-State, NYSSMA Solo and Major festivals, concerts, the Memorial Day Parade, graduation, etc.? What about when the Crane students are on break but the public school is not? And what about the elementary and middle school students?

Even if that were a good idea, the numbers don't add up. You're willing to pay Crane students 55k a year to cover the duties of 1 music teacher. That is a lot more than you'd pay a new teacher who is actually qualified to do the job. Heck, I've been teaching music in a different public school for 8 years and that's 10k more than I make still. This is not an innovative idea. It's one that would cost more and undercut a high quality program but replacing a master teacher with a revolving door of students with no experience.
Be more innovative

Utica, NY

#20 Mar 25, 2013
Points well taken.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Issues in Hillary DNA hearing could have nation... 4 min Curious 1
Gays in Potsdam (Nov '11) Mon me-me 45
News Hillary defense seeks documentation on errors i... Mon me-me 2
Potsdam parking tickets Mon tickets 3
Stupid rockin matthies Sun Chester 3
tyrel sanderson Jul 22 Bitch from Canton 1
dollar tree potsdam (Feb '15) Jul 21 Tom 15

Potsdam Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance