Where is best place to eat?
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Resident

Potsdam, NY

#61 Mar 17, 2012
student wrote:
saw a scoops work taking stuff to the dumpster and pissed nexted to it and then went back in and never washed his hands tall dark haired dude dont know if hes still there was a year ago so nasty i tossed my food out in the parking lot left gross much
Scoops has been overpriced, rude, slow and disgusting for many years now. The owner hires young, unexperienced,grungy cooks and snippy little incompetent waitresses (for lack of a better word). The place is dirty, dank and just not a place to spend the high prices the owner fleeces her customers with. I thought Scoops would have closed down years ago and can't imagine who the "regulars" are who might be contributing to it staying open. Even the price of ice cream at Scoops and it's downtown stand is just lauughable. The Sheehans certainly do disrespect their customers with this lousy business.
timmy

Liverpool, NY

#62 Mar 17, 2012
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>Scoops has been overpriced, rude, slow and disgusting for many years now. The owner hires young, unexperienced,grungy cooks and snippy little incompetent waitresses (for lack of a better word). The place is dirty, dank and just not a place to spend the high prices the owner fleeces her customers with. I thought Scoops would have closed down years ago and can't imagine who the "regulars" are who might be contributing to it staying open. Even the price of ice cream at Scoops and it's downtown stand is just lauughable. The Sheehans certainly do disrespect their customers with this lousy business.
it's a hobby not a restaurant.
monkey wonkey

Winthrop, NY

#63 Mar 17, 2012
well its evident- scoops has some shitty ratings. ebens didn;t fare super well either.duffs also has poor service. ebens has the worst salad bar ever. some of the so called upper crust restaurants are not overly clean. take a good look around.if the eating areas are not clean then the kitchen isn;t either. cleanest place in town with continuity for food is jrecks. you could eat off the floors in that place.how come noone thought of mama lucias?
the guy owns 3 restaurants in potdam. once you peel your elbows off the sticky tables at cantina you can eat your taco salad.josies has awesome pizza but looks like total shit inside. the chinese takeout has great food but nowhere decent to sit and i hate plastic utensils to eat with. ya they all have their issues.the diners are the best value and food in this town.
Pdam

Potsdam, NY

#64 Mar 18, 2012
Reality is there are no decent eating establishments around. And it's because the owners get away with serving sub-par food because the general populace doesn't know any better and gobbles the crap up! I've had meals at every place listed in this thread and they have all left something to be desired.

I grew up with a Grandmother who cooked everything from scratch. These places that claim they have home-cooked food can't hold a candle to the flavorful meals that Grandma used to make. For instance, order "home-made" fries at Foxy Roxy's and you'll get overcooked, grease-drenched soggy slabs of potato. Not what I call appetizing.

And don't even get me started on service! Most waiters up here wouldn't know proper service if it bit them in the a**! And the owners do nothing to educate them on how it should be, probably because they don't know any better themselves!

There is definitely plenty of room for improvement all around!
monkey wonkey

Winthrop, NY

#65 Mar 18, 2012
if you can afford it- the 1844 house on canton rd. is said to be excellent and fresh prepared food. to pdam- you hit the nail on the head.massena has violis- potsdam has sergis- canton has even less. ogdensburg is hurting for good places too.still some of the diners have a few good items to offer. better burgers than mcdonalds at least. no pink slime in diner burgers.give this one to scoops- they have some pretty awesome homemade dessert items but it is more a hobby than a living because the same old bugs and issues have been present since they opened the doors. they don;t need the money.i would love to work for them if they paid me a decent wage. but these food service workers make shit for wages. so noone wants to care.
Potsdam Resident

Liverpool, NY

#66 Mar 18, 2012
I would say that Eben's Hearth is probably one of the best restaurants in Potsdam. Excellent service and delicious food!
Happy eater

Potsdam, NY

#67 Mar 19, 2012
Potsdam Resident wrote:
I would say that Eben's Hearth is probably one of the best restaurants in Potsdam. Excellent service and delicious food!
Whatever. The Best Western in Canton has the best food around. Madrid Smokehouse is good too.
timmy

Liverpool, NY

#68 Mar 19, 2012
Happy eater wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever. The Best Western in Canton has the best food around. Madrid Smokehouse is good too.
My wife and I used to go to BW once or twice a week but quit going because the last couple times we stuck to the tables. They looked clean but were sticky. If it has changed, love to go back.
bustamove

Potsdam, NY

#69 Mar 31, 2012
Happy eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Madrid Smokehouse is good too.
Their brisket meat is so dry... I have to drown the meat in BBQ sauce just so I can swallow it.

Many restaurant owners up here are swindling the population with mediocre food and mediocre service, because they don't know any better, and also because there isn't enough good competition out there.

The other sad thing is that most of the people up here in the North Country don't know what good food and service is, or they simply tolerate it because they have no choice, unless they travel to other cities in the country to get a taste of the real thing.

I will say this, the pizza at Sergi's is better than pizza in NYC, and the bagels at the Bagelry are top-notch, just like in NYC. 1844 has excellent food and service, but you have to pay the price, and you do get what you pay for--it's not for your average Joe. The Bistro is good for salads and wraps. Thai Cuisine and the Chinese place by Save-a-lot have good take-out.

I wish we had a real donut shop in this town, that served warm, sugary donuts. Dunkin' Donuts can be dry and gummy sometimes.
money talks eh

Winthrop, NY

#70 Mar 31, 2012
sugar shack for sweets. chinese takeout is good and large portions for the price. good old lobster house in norwood is still pretty decent.sergis-noone can beat their pizza-no how no way. best around.also rosarios in massena has awesome pizza.anyone ever been to violis in massena? i hear its to die for. sometimes you gotta get outa dodge for good food. dars in massena also top notch.personally i am eager to see that f-n noodle house open up where the hop used to be. nothin better than a hot bowl of tasty noodles. what gives on that? it was supposed to open last year.
timmy

Liverpool, NY

#71 Apr 1, 2012
money talks eh wrote:
sugar shack for sweets. chinese takeout is good and large portions for the price. good old lobster house in norwood is still pretty decent.sergis-noone can beat their pizza-no how no way. best around.also rosarios in massena has awesome pizza.anyone ever been to violis in massena? i hear its to die for. sometimes you gotta get outa dodge for good food. dars in massena also top notch.personally i am eager to see that f-n noodle house open up where the hop used to be. nothin better than a hot bowl of tasty noodles. what gives on that? it was supposed to open last year.
We went to the Lobster House a couple weeks ago for our anniversary, the seafood and steak must be great but the pasta was very bland. Worse fettuccini I have ever had.
Jordyn

Utica, NY

#72 Sep 6, 2013
Every place is good depending on what you are looking for. Some of the best places to eat are right on Potsdam State campus, and it's open to the public.

Dunkin Donuts is not open 24hrs, which is upsetting. The Dairy Queen in Massena and Canton are great, but the Canton location was really filthy the last few times I was there.

The Hideaway in Colton was good until a couple weeks ago. I don't know if they changed cooks at night or what, but it definitely wasn't the same.
Homer

Meriden, CT

#73 Sep 7, 2013
Foxy Roxy's has good food.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Child abuser Mary Poole working at Potsdam walmart Tue Gerry 3
News Owner a Hanka Robar vows to maintain his toilet... Tue Forrest 1
News Treat all art equally Tue noticed 6
Michael Pool (SLC boy) (Sep '14) Tue Sam 10
Child abuser Mary Poole of Winthrop Tue Emily 5
What is up with all the toilets in this town? (Aug '11) Aug 30 Get a life 32
sarah casey (Jan '11) Aug 29 LocAl 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Potsdam Mortgages