Dozens protest Potsdam reassessment

Dozens protest Potsdam reassessment

There are 18 comments on the Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal story from Apr 9, 2013, titled Dozens protest Potsdam reassessment. In it, Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal reports that:

Scores of irate property owners packed the town hall Tuesday to protest the reassessment notifications they received over the weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal.

fu

Utica, NY

#1 Apr 10, 2013
Didn't they show you with the new town hall the people who run potsdam don't care what the people think they will do what they want when they want
retired_lovingit

Ogdensburg, NY

#2 Apr 11, 2013
You've got to wonder how many of our Potsdam homeowners on fixed incomes will be able to remain in their homes. Expenses just keep going up, up, up, but incomes DO NOT. The day comes when people just can't pay anymore and have to leave their homes. What a sad state of affairs!
snidely whiplash

Syracuse, NY

#3 Apr 11, 2013
What do the first 3 letters of assessor spell. Short for the one in Potsdam
sickuvit

United States

#4 Apr 11, 2013
While I agree that assessments went up way more than the reported "average" of 13%, as usual some places are getting away with no increase- namely- Clarkson, Potsdam State and the CPHospital! THIS needs to be addressed. The presidents home is assessed for 4 million and they pay no tax on it-Cheel- 16 million- no taxes- and THIS is why our taxes are high- not just because of assessments.
retired_lovingit

Ogdensburg, NY

#5 Apr 11, 2013
The little man always takes the hardest hit. But who cares, right? Not our public officials. Never. When do they ever worry about the plight of us "commoners"?
boom

Utica, NY

#6 Apr 11, 2013
retired_lovingit wrote:
The little man always takes the hardest hit. But who cares, right? Not our public officials. Never. When do they ever worry about the plight of us "commoners"?
They get scared when we stand up but that's the problem no one stands up anymore
retired_lovingit

Ogdensburg, NY

#7 Apr 11, 2013
That's true, boom.
gotcha 2012

Ogdensburg, NY

#8 Apr 11, 2013
I am norwood village resident and my tax assessment went from 45k to 99k in one year, that is a 54k raise in tax assessment in one year for 2013. I will have no choice but to let my house go for taxes in a year or two from now.My wife thew kids and muself will be on the street. my payment will be twice the amount of my mortgage. If I had this amount of money I sure would not be in Norwood. I wish mine only went up 13%.
snidely whiplash

Durhamville, NY

#9 Apr 11, 2013
gotcha 2012 wrote:
I am norwood village resident and my tax assessment went from 45k to 99k in one year, that is a 54k raise in tax assessment in one year for 2013. I will have no choice but to let my house go for taxes in a year or two from now.My wife thew kids and muself will be on the street. my payment will be twice the amount of my mortgage. If I had this amount of money I sure would not be in Norwood. I wish mine only went up 13%.
Go to the assessor negotiate it down.
wtf

Durhamville, NY

#10 Apr 11, 2013
My assessment went up over 25% while other similar properties were unchanged or went up little. There is no consistency to this 2013 assessment.
Perry Mason

Utica, NY

#11 Apr 13, 2013
Stop b*tching and get a better job. You all are just lazy pieces of sh*t
wiserthanyou

Syracuse, NY

#12 Apr 13, 2013
Perry Mason wrote:
Stop b*tching and get a better job. You all are just lazy pieces of sh*t
Are you the ASSessor?
tragg

Syracuse, NY

#13 Apr 13, 2013
In 2008 a class action lawsuit was filed by 40 members of a NYS community(Trout Lake) and the assessments were thrown out.Why not do this in Potsdam?
Steve

Utica, NY

#14 Apr 13, 2013
These assessors just want to see what they can get away with. A lot of people are just plain dumb, and either don't pay attention, or just too lazy to pay a little visit to the newbie assessor.
tax payer

Ogdensburg, NY

#15 Apr 14, 2013
fu wrote:
Didn't they show you with the new town hall the people who run potsdam don't care what the people think they will do what they want when they want
Dot forget how they over road the tax freeze and up our taxes anyways
power authority

Tully, NY

#16 Apr 15, 2013
My taxes went up over 20 thousand. So much for retired and livinit.lol
Billybob

Utica, NY

#17 Apr 15, 2013
gotcha 2012 wrote:
Don't worry! Our Mayor is going to reduce your taxes 20%!
retired_lovingit

Ogdensburg, NY

#18 Apr 15, 2013
I am "retired"; I love getting up in the morning and not having to go to work. "Loving it" doesn't mean I have a lot of money. I'm by no means financially well off in any sense of the word, except that I have much more time for my family these days. And that's what I mean by "retired_lovingit".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Onondaga DA among many named in civil rights su... 1 hr local yokel 107
The Rockin Demo (Dec '16) 7 hr Justme 19
A 1 chinese Mon Bdp3 6
Labrador Puppies? (Jan '16) Sun lol 16
Left Libertarian / Anarchist study group Aug 2 lol 28
Anyone want to make quick money? Aug 2 Jimmy 6
Alicia LaMora Jul 29 Thx1366 2

Potsdam Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance