new kind of church on rt. 56

Posted in the Potsdam Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bobby

New York, NY

#1 Sep 24, 2013
What's the story about a new "strategically small" church on rt. 56 near the collision center. Heard lots of good things about the guy in charge, a pastor from malone area,(Lifeway Community Church)
Know lot's of people aren't interested in faith stuff, maybe some who are could post?
Bob

Ogdensburg, NY

#2 Sep 26, 2013
Chef boy r d

Potsdam, NY

#3 Sep 27, 2013
I thought there was a Baptist church on May road ? Emanuel
baptist church? Why build a new church of the same denomination when they are looking for a minister at their location?
pogo

Boonville, NY

#4 Sep 27, 2013
Chef boy r d wrote:
I thought there was a Baptist church on May road ? Emanuel
baptist church? Why build a new church of the same denomination when they are looking for a minister at their location?
The word Baptist is informative only in that general Baptist understandings of Scripture and church government are considered. Kind of like the word Christian. So there are dozens of denominations using the term Baptist. This one the newspaper reported is American Baptist Churches USA which is a denomination that allows each of it's local churches to share in its denominations resources, but there is no denominational rule over the local churches. Why have new churches at all? 60% of any town or cities population does not go to church, or express anything but a vague faith in God. New approaches may help certain individuals identify with the kind of local church they desire, need, or want to try out. I live near this churches planting pastor, have heard of his different, innovative tendencies and know his other churches have flourished. He's well known in franklin county for his community help, etc. google joe selenski pastor.
IB-__-BI

Canton, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2013
Watch Zeitgeist. You'll never bother wasting time with religion again. Simply a manmade myth.
tabhunter

New York, NY

#6 Oct 1, 2013
for those responding to the post because they are believers, I think this new upcoming church is kind of an enhanced simplistic home church approach. Regular Christian faith beliefs, but an emphasis on keeping it basic, non-divisive, a living faith, smaller informal encounters to help keep it personal and real but big enough to allow folks to blend in as they feel ready. They are, if I'm reading it right, trying to blend the simplicity of the first century or two church that met in convenient, non-costly places, shared faith in a genuine way, and worked together to live out their faith in their own local families and communities. Just a lot of religious beau racy cutting. So says the new pastor/church planter in some articles and the web page. http://www.neighborchurch.com/ For the atheists who monitor faith sites, you simply don't have to listen or view the info if it doesn't interest you. Don't be so narrow minded regarding those who are interested.
soda high

New York, NY

#7 Oct 2, 2013
lot's of work going into a new idea for a church. Got to give em credit for that.
22bent

New York, NY

#8 Oct 5, 2013
Not a Christian, don't really care about church, but glad to hear this one is being started by someone pretty well known for being an advocate for the poor. That pastor lives near us in Malone, runs a homeless shelter, food pantry, works with habitat for humanity, and about a dozen other charities.
badbones

Boonville, NY

#9 Oct 8, 2013
I stpped by and spoke with the associate pastor who is apprenticing for Pastor position. From what h said showed me, I guess it's a slightly different way to bring people together for church, small setting, some formal seating for meetings but mostly about other times they gather in small groups or just for coffee cafe nights, regular kind of worship and sundays, just in a casual living room and cafe seating mix, and an emphasis they say on helping each other live what is taught, a walk the talk supportive environment. If i didn't have a home church already I'd try this simple approach, minus all the usual programs, and consumer mentality in many churches. Hope they do well and make a mark with a different approach.
tyro

Dexter, NY

#10 Oct 9, 2013
I'm amazed this post not yet over-run and ruined by the usual negative, find something wrong with everything and everyone people. Or those not interested who have to critisize anyway. On topic, I can say this, I stopped by to see the pastor who is starting this church. A real authentic kind of effort. No glitz, regular kind of sunday service stuff, but in a living room, cafe setting with lots of week long opportunities for those taking an extra step to do more with their faith or to learn more. No big money involved, pastor cutting trees and brush, painting, couple others volunteering, won't be fancy but sounds real! He envisions small 50-60 members in future, maybe a dozen to start. All about casual getting together, talking about their faith, supporting, and mission locally, not just helping a select few, but working along side others in the community, chriti=an or not, to make a positive difference... I love my old methodist church. But it seems so pretentious at times, so programmed and about attending not participating and having a relationship with God. I think my view is changing after talking to this guy at Neighborhood church. They are not going to be ready to open for quite awhile but are starting to talk withpeople and arrange meetings over coffee to explain what their doing. Basically, their making faith and church basic and simplistic but real again. I'm rambling and sounding a bit fanatic, and will cool down I'm sure. But I'm glad to see this getting started.
blitzed

New York, NY

#11 Oct 9, 2013
Don't know if it will work here. Not a very "religious" area anyway. But apparently, from reports here and on Malone sites, these people are not your pushy kind, and are very helpful to people near them, without imposing their views. So... welcome to Potsdam.
makinpaper

New York, NY

#12 Oct 9, 2013
The pastor planting this church did well starting a new church here in North bangor a few years ago. Old Methodist church closed, no one going, Selensky came in after it was closed couple years and opened with 90 people attending. They still do well and run a homeless shelter, food pantry. After all I read about him I pictured him to be outgoing, but he's actually more the introvert, stay in the background, get the work done, kind of guy. Gives credit to others a lot. He still preaches in Bangor too, so I think he's training a new pastor for Potsdam.
wondering

New York, NY

#13 Oct 10, 2013
makinpaper wrote:
The pastor planting this church did well starting a new church here in North bangor a few years ago. Old Methodist church closed, no one going, Selensky came in after it was closed couple years and opened with 90 people attending. They still do well and run a homeless shelter, food pantry. After all I read about him I pictured him to be outgoing, but he's actually more the introvert, stay in the background, get the work done, kind of guy. Gives credit to others a lot. He still preaches in Bangor too, so I think he's training a new pastor for Potsdam.
Yes Pastor Joe is doing the church planting in Potsdam but he is not going to be the Pastor there .He will be staying at Life Way in North Bangor .The One that will be Pastor there is a good guy as well and will do well there .It is great to see church planting going on to reach out to the people that do not already have a home Church .The church in North Bangor is doing great .If you want to see what the Church in Potsdam will be like take a ride on a sunday and visit the service at Life way which starts at 11am .anyone is invited .hope to see you soon .
sayit

New York, NY

#14 Oct 10, 2013
watertown paper said Selenski starting Potsdam church and supervising an associate in training who happens to be the former editor of the Malone telegram; Doug Bucanan. I think DOug has some Bible college experience and mission work in Haiti. Worked with him, nice guy, hope it all works out for him.
wondering

New York, NY

#15 Oct 10, 2013
sayit wrote:
watertown paper said Selenski starting Potsdam church and supervising an associate in training who happens to be the former editor of the Malone telegram; Doug Bucanan. I think DOug has some Bible college experience and mission work in Haiti. Worked with him, nice guy, hope it all works out for him.
Yes Doug will be the pastor out there once the church opens .Doug will do a great Job .
nottypine

New York, NY

#16 Oct 11, 2013
Doug Buchanan studying under Selenski, will be ready to Pastor with help from the church in North Bangor, continued support from selenski, and like any new pastor, with the support and patience of the new church community. I've heard doug preach, and seen him reason through some difficult situations.. and he has a heart for God and enthusiasm to learn. He went tot a good Bible College, and has lots of real life experience. Like selenski, he will not be a typical pastor, but will make a mark and be appreciated. Thhey said church could open in two phases, a small group effort this winter then a full grand opening in spring. They wanted to do it earlier but ran into delays regarding building site, permits, etc.
timbuc2

Boonville, NY

#17 Oct 11, 2013
something new and not all about arrogance and money seems like a good thing... we'll see.
time out

New York, NY

#18 Oct 14, 2013
not opening till t-day and then only for a core group, then full opening in spring. Core group is for those wanting to help start the church. Still renovating, and getting ready with a shoestring budget. Stop by when you see someone there, they are happy to share what's going on.
tellmee

Dexter, NY

#19 Oct 15, 2013
I just stopped by the location they are working on. People may have wrong idea, the special idea for this new church is it's simplicity and back to basics, small group meetings and worship, mixed with living the faith they teach. Nthing new, kind of like the early church in the Bible, and nothing weird, just a return to simplicity. A ways from opening but they are looking for people who want to help get it open, physical work, minisstry, prayer, ideas, supporting the effort, getting the word out etc. I'm new to this but they said i am just as welcome to help as anyone else and I like the ideas. Nice to see something good happening around here for a change.
hilois

New York, NY

#20 Oct 15, 2013
Not a church goer myself, a believer though, and might just try church again, hoping it's really what folks are saying.
tellmee wrote:
I just stopped by the location they are working on. People may have wrong idea, the special idea for this new church is it's simplicity and back to basics, small group meetings and worship, mixed with living the faith they teach. Nthing new, kind of like the early church in the Bible, and nothing weird, just a return to simplicity. A ways from opening but they are looking for people who want to help get it open, physical work, minisstry, prayer, ideas, supporting the effort, getting the word out etc. I'm new to this but they said i am just as welcome to help as anyone else and I like the ideas. Nice to see something good happening around here for a change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Potsdam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The child abuser Mary Poole works at Walmart in... 14 hr Sam 66
sex (Jul '14) Wed TitPatrol 6
hookers in potsdam (Jan '14) Tue Potsdamgirl 63
Where can I get laid Tue Potsdamgirl 4
Haunted St. Lawrence County (Feb '13) Aug 22 ghost 41
jess kurt kyle Aug 21 KMC 10
News Potsdam PD Public Record Aug 20 Forrest 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Potsdam Mortgages