Moffett Police allowed on highway

Moffett Police allowed on highway

There are 25 comments on the Sequoyah County Times story from May 12, 2007, titled Moffett Police allowed on highway. In it, Sequoyah County Times reports that:

“I'm sorry. I am sick about it. "My whole career I devoted to public safety - not raising revenue for the state or county. To think public safety can be sold so cheap, as an excuse to raise revenue, makes me sick.”

An amendment to a state statute that passed the Senate and House this year has led to Moffett Police being allowed back on U.S. Highway 64 and State Highway 64D even though the town was banned from the highways ... via Sequoyah County Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sequoyah County Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
consern

Fort Smith, AR

#1 May 30, 2007
I think Mr. Bud is sorry.. and his whole career in public safety come on. lets get police off the highway thats public safety. what is Moffett taking your drug money away.. that is sorry
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#2 May 30, 2007
Concerned...you're an idiot. Kenneth Corn voted no against it, too...according to this article.

Public safety is key...but not when it's used as a crutch for revenue.

You better pull over all the people you can now, because the bill to ban you again PASSED in both the Oklahoma House AND Senate.

It's not only Bud. It seems like many other lawmakers from all around the state agree with him.

Moffett deserves this.
Concerened

Van Buren, AR

#3 Jun 16, 2007
derrick, oklahoma is really in need for help if there people want the stuff moffett pulled off the highway on there highyways i dont see the big deal moffett looked like they did a good job in 2006 looks like lots of bad things they took off the highway i have there back bud even said in the fort smith paper the moffett police are doing a good job it was the higher ups that did wrong
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#4 Jun 16, 2007
Concerned,

You are so full of nonsense. The Times Record didn't print anything like that. That would be editorializing and against journalistic ethics. They quoted or paraphrased Chief Miller or his fat sidekick talking gargage, but I'd bet money the news writer rolled his/her eyes as it was printed.

I liked watching Chief Miller on TV, obviously shaken up with sweat stains on his pitts...beads of sweat dripping down his face, and couldn't utter a sentence without a stutter. I'd bet he doesn't talk like that when he's swindling money from unsuspecting motorists. They didn't even answer the questions...and lied! I know first hand that Moffett takes cash in return for a clean record. THIS IS FACT!

Anyways! Look what the newspaper you're praising wrote about Moffett, below. This doesn't sound favorable to me. This article sounds more like the truth:
http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2007/06/01/ho...

If Moffett is so great, why does everyone call them corrupt? Fort Smith, Sallisaw and even Pocola officers arrest people daily, yet none of them have half the nasty reputation of Moffett.

Get over it. They were kicked off the highway, and for good reason. All hail Smithson! All hail Governor Brad Henry! All hail the Oklahoma House and Senate!

Moffett's demise has begun, and it's long overdue.

Concerned, I believe you encouraged people to write letters to lawmakers to get Moffett back on the highway. With the way lawmakers in your district talk about Moffett, I don't think that would work in their favor.

Vote Smithson in '08!!!!
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Jun 16, 2007
I just re-read what you said...disregard my first paragraph.

Can you copy and paste this article you speak of? I'd need to see it to believe it! Why would Smithson say Moffett is doing a good job when he's been vocal about his disgust against that department? It seems to me like he's been the authoritative voice for the people...and not in support of such a corrupt force.
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#6 Jun 16, 2007
I found it! Read below:

------

I foresee Moffett will be back off the highway in two weeks,” Smithson said.“I’m working very hard. I’ve already notified the commissioner of public safety to get them off.”

In a tip of the hat to the Moffett police officers, Smithson said they weren’t to blame and that actually, they were good police officers.

“But my deal,” he said,“is that I just despise a town that pushes a police department to make up for their budget. I don’t think it’s right.”

----------

Smithson supposedly said they're good police officers, yet he's notified authorities to get them off the highway? Smithson is referring to Moffett city officials when talking about this alleged speed trap. Someone should explain to Smithson how Moffett works...the cops run the town. Wasn't the Mayor who died the former police chief? You know, the same dead mayor blamed for bankruptcy and unknown use of city funds. Isn't that fat blonde identified on television as a city leader a cop too?! I know for a FACT she's a cop (or used to be one) because I've dealt with her on several occassions...including the one time I was bullied into paying a roadside fine in exchange for a clean record.

And don't get me started about that "resident" on channel 5 singing praises to the Moffett Police Department. Don't think your whispers weren't heard by others in the room!:-)

And what about that other Moffett officer featured television? You know, the same one who's "no longer employed" for two neighboring legitimate law enforcement agencies? You know what I'm talking about.

I'll try to speak with Smithson again this week. Maybe you should too. If you work for Moffett...your job might depend on it!
defender

Pawhuska, OK

#7 Jun 17, 2007
i couldn't help but laugh at some of your accusations. you need to find something better to do with your time than flame other posters on this board and insist your views are correct.

let people believe what they want to believe. you've repeated yourself many times already. give it a break. get back to your wifey at her 'legitimate' agency and move on. oh, and

P.S. if you think hard enough... every agency around here has dirt swept under the carpet.
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#8 Jun 17, 2007
Concerned, I'm not stating views....these are FACTS.

1. If Moffett was legit, they wouldn't need to host a pony show for the media.
2. If Moffett was legit, they wouldn't have been banned from the highway.

and the list goes on and on and on.

And if Smithson thinks Moffett cops are so wonderful, why in the world is he so vocal about making sure they don't patrol the highway? Can you answer that?
Derrick

Fort Smith, AR

#9 Jun 17, 2007
What parts of my post made you laugh? Tell me that, and I will explain further.
Bobby Joe

Fort Smith, AR

#10 Sep 4, 2007
I think that Derrick sets at home with his crack pipe and bong...along with many other Americans and thinks of ways he can cheat the law.
On the other hand he could be an alcoholic...

He probably got a DUI in Moffett!

If you are not breaking the law, you shouldn't have problem with Moffett.

Thanks,

alias..
Bobby Joe
police supporter

Greenwood, AR

#11 Jan 2, 2008
consern wrote:
I think Mr. Bud is sorry.. and his whole career in public safety come on. lets get police off the highway thats public safety. what is Moffett taking your drug money away.. that is sorry
I have read all these comments, and I have been in moffet several times over my life. The Moffett police department only does what they were trained to do. Like all departments the Moffett Police is like no other , other than having a bad rep. I have lived in eastern oklahoma all my life and I was almost thrity when that club when in on the highway and I seen over the years what it brought with it, wrecks, drugs, drunks. I have always been the type of man to get all the story and what I have seen over the years is pure law enforcement by the police department. My hat is off to you Moffett Police Officers, I hope the best for all you that haft to go through this. The Moffett Polce Department has my support.

Since: Jan 08

Fort Smith, AR

#12 Jan 7, 2008
The town of Moffett is itself breaking the law by allowing and encouraging its police officers to patrol outside the town's jurisdiction for decades. I guess you guys feel it is okay for those in uniform to "cheat the law" as you put it?
Talihina T

Wilburton, OK

#13 Jan 11, 2008
Sounds familiar...
royf

Greenwood, AR

#14 Aug 11, 2011
Does any one know the history of Moffett, Oklahoma and ban by the U.S. Army years ago. I heard it was a rough town?
MistyGirl

United States

#15 Aug 11, 2011
...used to be really really rough so the story goes, constant fights, brawls in the streets and finally the army banned any military going there.

I remember lots of folks talking about how rough it was and that good people wouldn't even drive through. I guess it never recovered a good reputation cause people still talk negative about it.
royf

Greenwood, AR

#16 Aug 11, 2011
MistyGirl wrote:
...used to be really really rough so the story goes, constant fights, brawls in the streets and finally the army banned any military going there.
I remember lots of folks talking about how rough it was and that good people wouldn't even drive through. I guess it never recovered a good reputation cause people still talk negative about it.
Can you remember any names of the bars, etc. that were in operation back then?
MistyGirl

United States

#17 Aug 11, 2011
royf wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you remember any names of the bars, etc. that were in operation back then?
No I'm not from this area originally. I would suggest talking to local VFW's to find some that are old enough to give you more information about that particular time.

Good luck on your research.
wheee

Tulsa, OK

#18 Aug 11, 2011
Derrick wrote:
What parts of my post made you laugh? Tell me that, and I will explain further.
Derrick... You are as nutty as a fruit cake.
loddy da

Tulsa, OK

#19 Aug 25, 2011
It was wrong to take them off they have been there for years.
Ron

Denver, CO

#20 Sep 2, 2011
So who is in charge at the big Moffett PD now days

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poteau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spiro's Nov 30 Joseph Carter 1
Pain Management Clinic Nov 27 Dltckml 2
Lisa Pitts has ripped me off (Apr '09) Nov 22 lahoma 11
Tommy Dolph Nov 20 No1zFnAnGeL 1
Hillary Clinton Nov 12 Trump Supporter 3
Does anyone know Mark Baker? (Sep '15) Nov 8 FedUpEx 7
billy thompson Oct '16 reaper 1

Poteau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance