Business owners concerned over propos...

Business owners concerned over proposed tax

There are 12 comments on the Poteau Daily News & Sun story from Feb 6, 2012, titled Business owners concerned over proposed tax. In it, Poteau Daily News & Sun reports that:

Several business owners attended a special meeting of the Poteau City Council Wednesday night to address the city's new proposed 5 percent hospitality tax that will be decided upon during a special election in April.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Poteau Daily News & Sun.

nomore taxes

Heavener, OK

#1 Feb 17, 2012
vote no
donna haynes

Heavener, OK

#2 Feb 24, 2012
14% tax my mom and dad will have to pay when they come here and stay at a hotel,I DON'T THINK SO!! If this passes it will be all the food places next and I know I don't want that!! I am voting NO MORE TAXES!!
msbobbie

Heavener, OK

#3 Feb 26, 2012
I agree it is outrageous! You are correct, Donna. When this issue was first discussed those in favor wanted a county wide "tourist" tax on hotels and motels, eateries and convenience stores.

It has come down to just motels and rv parks in the city of Poteau. So only residents of Poteau will be able to vote as I understand it.

The good news is every registered voter can vote on this issue, it does not matter if you are Democrat, Republican or Independent.

There is going to be a special meeting about it Thursday March 1 at 6:30 pm in Buckley Library.

The Special Election will be April 3.
msbobbie

Heavener, OK

#4 Mar 13, 2012
Members of the LeFlore County TEA Party met this evening to discuss the level of involvement we would take on this issue.

The TEA Party has always been loosely organized but we started out to be a Tax and Spend protest. The original group agreed we would be an information source for the community and not be affiliated with any political party, not support any organization or candidate, though individual members have worked for different campaigns. Candidates for office have always been welcome to visit our meetings and given speaking time

Others have come and gone and tried to change our focus along the way. Truthers, Birthers, Constitutionalists, 9/12ers, JBS. None of it is what we started out to be.

msbobbie

Heavener, OK

#5 Mar 13, 2012
Sorry. I accidentally ended too quick. The LeFlore County Tea Party as a group will not be taking a position for or against the ordinance to impose a tax on motel and campground guests to fund the city council agenda.

We have not been asked by either side to support their position.

As an individual and a Poteau resident I will be opposing this tax and urging my neighbors to do the same because I believe fun and recreation and entertainment is not a function of government.

If you are undecided about whether this tax is needed, ask for a copy of the ordinance at the Mayor's office.
midfencer

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2012
I kinda agree with msbobbie.
Also been following the Opinion section in the Poteau Newspaper on this issue. Some very good arguments have been made against the proposed tax.

One thing to think about, if you vote for the tax you're forcing business owners to actually work more, document more, spend more of their money on records all while making them vulnerable to new "laws and regs" with pretty steep penalties that none of you besides them will have to put up with. Where is the fairness in forcing one set of business owners to shoulder this responsibility just so you can have more "fun"? You get the jest of what I'm saying.

Outsiders may pay more for a room, but passing the tax creates a bigger burden on the owners in the name of fun and recreation and entertainment as Ms Bobbie says. Not a good thing folks. There are other more appropriate ways to get what you want.
donna haynes

Broken Arrow, OK

#7 Mar 30, 2012
I read the proposed tax the mayor has wrote up,all 12 pages of it,and it is a bunch of crap!! I cannot believe they can even expect a business owner to live up to these stipulations. I got really mad when I read the part where the mayor,city clerk or any city employee upon demand can look at their books!! I thought about that for awhile and wondered, what if that was my business? I can tell you one thing,It would be a cold day in hell before I would let them look at my books!! I really hope people see thru this crap that the city is trying to do to the hotel owners and vote against this. If you have not read the proposition get one and read it. I believe after you read it you will say NO WAY!
donna haynes

Broken Arrow, OK

#8 Mar 30, 2012
I forgot to add I read traci barnes letter to the editor of the paper here and she said the proposition has nothing stated that the money collected was guaranteed to go to the kids. She stated it has 0 dollars in the propostion for this. I went back thru it again and she is right! That made me wonder what do they really want this money for? Maybe they need pay raises[like they don't make enough now] or does the mayor need it for something like the tiger truck deal? We all know what happened there!
midfencer

United States

#9 Apr 5, 2012
I find it a little unsettling that an entire town of people can vote to make four or five business owners be responsible for footing the bill of the towns recreation wants. Kinda like a den of wolves with one chicken voting on what is going to be for dinner. You folks should feel guilty and ashamed for passing that tax.

Now that is done, I hope someone (the motel and hotel owners) hold the Mayor accountable for every single penny of the tax money spent, and raise h.e. double L when it is siphoned off to pay for something ridiculous and frivolous.

I don't know why this bothers me so much; I'm not even from Poteau and I don't have any pecuniary interest in any business in that town. It's just plain damn wrong. Period.
msbobbie

Heavener, OK

#10 Apr 8, 2012
donna haynes wrote:
I forgot to add I read traci barnes letter to the editor of the paper here and she said the proposition has nothing stated that the money collected was guaranteed to go to the kids. She stated it has 0 dollars in the propostion for this. I went back thru it again and she is right! That made me wonder what do they really want this money for? Maybe they need pay raises[like they don't make enough now] or does the mayor need it for something like the tiger truck deal? We all know what happened there!
In the mayor's comments after the election (published in PDN) he says “We will do our best to take this tax and apply it to make our community more progressive and so much better”

Get it? pro gress ive. Look that one up.
donna haynes

Heavener, OK

#11 Apr 9, 2012
msbobbie,are you the one who wrote the letter to the editor of the poteau news about marlene dial? If so is she the one the city hired to help get money raised for the library? She sounded like a real school kid in her letter!Of course she would think the mayor and the city council would be the best people she ever worked for! I heard the city was paying her 100k plus to raise money for the library so sure she would be all for anything that made her job easier!The motel tax was probably her idea. She went on and on and did not make any sense and the remark she made about a certain person running for a polical office was uncalled for. That remark showed what kind of person she really is.
msbobbie

Heavener, OK

#12 Apr 10, 2012
Yes Donna, that was me that wrote the response to Ms. Dial's letter.

Thanks for the info about her being paid. Her credentials scare the poo poo out of me. Look up I.C.L.E.I.

I.C.L.E.I. is an arm of the UN plan for Agenda 21.

About a year ago I wrote letters to the Mayor, every member of the City Council and all three County Commissioners urging them to reject any association with that organization. Not one of those 10 people replied to me.

Now we know why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poteau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beware of Ashley Dawn Stephens and husband Mike... Apr 28 WHO R U 1
Cameron Super Apr '18 Just Asking 1
Does anyone know this girl Apr '18 Katie Jo 2
A place for friends and family of Jody Rilee Wi... (Jun '09) Mar '18 Maxine 77
Talihina School Superintendent Makes Headline News Mar '18 Hub56 1
electronic harrassment/gang stalking (Apr '17) Feb '18 Zorba 6
Leflore County Fairboard Feb '18 Asking 1

Poteau Jobs

Personal Finance

Poteau Mortgages