Portsmouth woman charged with child a...

Portsmouth woman charged with child abuse

There are 28 comments on the WTKR story from May 21, 2010, titled Portsmouth woman charged with child abuse. In it, WTKR reports that:

A woman was arrested on Thursday night after witnesses told police that she was using a belt to whip her 7-year-old child in the parking lot of a store in Portsmouth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTKR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SECTION 8 SUX

Chesapeake, VA

#21 May 24, 2010
Mimi wrote:
It's a shame when a parent disciplines their child, then is arrested for it. There is a fine line between discipline and abuse, and that did not sound like abuse. It sounds like a woman taking action now so that the police don't take that same action later. I guarantee that not one of those people who called the police know WHY the child was being whooped. I also bet that not one of them would offer to take this child in and raise him as their own. Unless you see something really egregious, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS PEOPLE. Let mama handle things before Junior ends up breaking in your house, and then you want to know why he had no home training.
But on the flip side the statement is always made " Where are the parents"!
Christy

Norfolk, VA

#22 May 24, 2010
SECTION 8 SUX wrote:
<quoted text>
But on the flip side the statement is always made " Where are the parents"!
Exactly. All charges should be dropped immediately.
This is so messed up

Columbus, OH

#23 Jun 6, 2010
I have a child in the second grade and when she was in preschool and just turned 5 she decided she would slap me for telling her no at a school event so I busted her butt and ofcourse the teacher gave me the you don't ever lay a hand on a child as long as your in this building so in my kids mind it was aloud to do what it wanted while at school. About a month later she was bad all day at school and they had me come on for a conference and told me I need to make this child mind. What did I say well dumb a** remember that next time you tell me to keep my hands off of my kid!!!!
kentucky

Ekron, KY

#24 Oct 2, 2010
The whole town needs to learn alot about abuse. I was one of them It didn't feel very good when my dad or mom hit me' I still have a hard time with all of it .So when you pick up that belt just look in that childs eyes and see the pain you are causing............. in that childs life and yours.................
Simple Minds

Beltsville, MD

#25 Oct 6, 2010
There needs to be discipline in any home for any child however, there is a very fine line between dicipline and abuse. there is also a very fine line between a parent who is in control while the discipline is taking place and a parent who is mad and out of control while the dicipline is taking place. there is also an age factor when it comes to what type of discipline you are using on a child.

I see children every day who are 7 years old. They are not all big kids. Were talking about 1st or 2nd grade. I have a feeling that the person that called this mother in called not because she was giving dicipline to her child but rather because she was out of control in her own anger at the time. We sometimes don't think of how powerful our hands and arms are when it comes to slapping a child with a belt. There is a time and place for everything and I can assure you coming from someone who has seen kids hit with belts while a parent is angry its not a good thing.

What you need to ask yourself is this....did this mother put marks on her child with this belt? If so its abuse. No form of dicipline should leave marks on a childs body at ANYTIME. These are things regarding this case you seem to know nothing about.

some of you who spank your kids with a belt.....do you have a certain belt you use that has the buckle taken off of it? Hmmmm what would happen if when you are using that belt on your child and it slips from your hand sending the buckle to your childs body? Something you may want to think about!

I would like to add....I spanked my son 1 time in his life for running in a parking lot. I spanked my daughter 1 time for running in a parking lot and another time for throwing a fit because she wanted a toy at christmas time that santa was planning to bring her. I never had to put my hands on either of them ever again. they respected me and did not want to let me down. they are both grown now, one in the military serving his country and the other in college. No problems at all from either of them during their teen years. this was all done without a belt or any other object but with simple respect for me as their parent.
Meh

United States

#26 Oct 1, 2011
It's a shame that people still think assaulting their children is consider "discipline" It's disgusting and it's ABUSE. If you have to assault your child to 'discipline;' that then you deserve to be thrown in jail and have your children taken away because obviously you're fucked up in the head. It's utterly disgusting that people approve of this shit. corporal punishment should be against the law. it's been proven that it does more harm then good.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Hampton, VA

#27 Oct 2, 2011
Meh wrote:
It's a shame that people still think assaulting their children is consider "discipline" It's disgusting and it's ABUSE. If you have to assault your child to 'discipline;' that then you deserve to be thrown in jail and have your children taken away because obviously you're fucked up in the head. It's utterly disgusting that people approve of this shit. corporal punishment should be against the law. it's been proven that it does more harm then good.
Exactly! Why do we have prisons for? That's just cruel. Those folks don't deserve punishment. There is no reason for discipline. It never solves anything, right?

Meh, you will reap what YOU sow. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Old Mr Hubbard

Atlanta, GA

#28 Oct 19, 2011
Never shake a baby!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min RoxLo 1,432,264
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Mothra 61,479
Read before hiring a contractor 3 hr Lustbypoetry 1
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 5 hr Terry 115
putin hack into trump 11 hr vote hillary 1
trump a disgrace 11 hr vote hillary 1
News Aldi planning store in Gloucester County Sep 5 meh 2

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portsmouth Mortgages