Holley comments cause concern

Holley comments cause concern

There are 170 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Holley comments cause concern. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

Mayor James Holley did not respond to WAVY.com's request for an interview Wednesday, about his remarks at an open city council meeting Tuesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Mike

Portsmouth, VA

#1 Jul 23, 2008
A person in his position has no business making those racist comments. He should have to apologize just like everyone else who has made a Racial comment. He should be removed from office because he does not represent the city as a whole.
Kathy

Portsmouth, VA

#2 Jul 23, 2008
OK - That's it - ENOUGH!
As a Portsmouth citizen, I have endured embarrassing comments by Mayor Holley at public events - off color jokes, inappropriate stories - but this takes it all.

Mayor Holley fought the civil rights battle early on, vehemently and well. Racism is wrong, regardless of the race or culture of the mouth speaking it. His comments set race relations back to the 60s and are unforgivable.

This mayor no longer belongs in the public eye where he can continue to divide citizens and embarrass the city. He was successfully recalled several years ago - I fully support doing so again - permanently.

The hotel issue isn't (or shouldn't be) a racial one. The city needs all the tax revenue it can get; however to approve any other hotel venue is irresponsible, given the occupasncy rates of the Renaissance Hotel. There ARE other hotels available in the city. To approve any other large property at this time would drive a nail into the coffin of a gem on the Portsmouth waterfront. Support what we have in these tough economic times.

Oh, yeah - how about changing the name of the Holley Ballroom?
Joe

Portsmouth, VA

#3 Jul 23, 2008
Lets recall The Mayor for good this time.
Donald

Hampton, VA

#4 Jul 23, 2008
Is he kidding me with this?! Was "Mayor" Holley's goal for the 5000+ years he's managed to hold that post to turn Portsmouth into a racially-charged ghetto? WHAT IN HELL??
Portsmouth is already the laughing stock of the entire Hampton Roads community..."the city no one wants to come to for fear of being stabbed on the way to Food Lion"...it says that on next year's city stickers from what I hear...
I can NOT believe this man said what he did ON CAMERA - not only is he the biggest racist Portsmouth has ever seen, but apparently now he's as ignorant and back-asswards as he's managed to turn this (already) hellhole of a city.
Holley should be removed from office immediately. Of course, good luck with that considering he's appointed 95% of the staff that could do that...God forbid any of them are white, because that'll just start a race riot white folks get blamed for!
DEAR GOD, torch the city and start over -- it can't be any worse.
John Troxell

Portsmouth, VA

#5 Jul 23, 2008
Dear Wavy 10,
In response to Mayor Holley’s comments about the Hotel project I was appalled. Race should have never been a factor in the meeting regarding this project or even mentioned. Race is not what the project in hand was about! Economic growth should have been his wording. Any group of worthy investors should have qualified for the project being Black, White, Asian, or Alien as far as that goes as long as they could pull off the proposed cost and meet the criteria to set growth in our city. I am not surprised he was unavailable for comment. He should retract his statements immediately with a humble apology to all races living in the commonwealth. How do we explain his message to our children? How will this help Portsmouth grow and prosper with the knowledge of him leaning with divided thoughts and racial sides? If this is the way our management and local government are thinking, our city is in big trouble. I am a 52 year resident here and I see the city on an over taxed poorly governed decline. It’s not the city I grew up in! We can’t grow divided thinking racially but together we could exceed and grow amazingly! Thank you Wavy 10 for presenting the news and issues very well as you always have!
Sincerely,
John Troxell
Jack

Norfolk, VA

#6 Jul 23, 2008
Racism is alive and well. With Mr. Riddick in Norfolk and Mr. Holly in Portsmouth, my children and grandchildren will never see harmony. Our leaders breed hatred, our children listen. And of course, these leaders attend church in Jesus's name.
Alisa

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Jul 23, 2008
It was so sad to hear that a leader of the community insists on living in the days before Martin Luther King's dream speech. I do believe in that dream and see it as a reality.
The City of Portsmouth needs to insist on an apology from the mayor and pray for healing. This type of behavior shown by it's leader/leaders will only continue to have the city live in a poverty state and prohibit it from growing into a successful community.
John Troxell

Portsmouth, VA

#8 Jul 23, 2008
Dear Wavy 10,
In response to Mayor Holleys comments about the Hotel project I was appalled. Race should have never been a factor in the meeting regarding this project or even mentioned. Race is not what the project in hand was about! Economic growth should have been his wording. Any group of worthy investors should have qualified for the project being Black, White, Asian, or Alien as far as that goes as long as they could pull off the proposed cost and meet the criteria to set growth in our city. I am not surprised he was unavailable for comment. He should retract his statements immediately with a humble apology to all races living in the commonwealth. How do we explain his message to our children? How will this help Portsmouth grow and prosper with the knowledge of him leaning with divided thoughts and racial sides? If this is the way our management and local government are thinking, our city is in big trouble. I am a 52 year resident here and I see the city on an over taxed poorly governed decline. Its not the city I grew up in! We cannot grow divided thinking racially but together we could exceed and grow amazingly! Thank you Wavy 10 for presenting the news and issues very well as you always have!
Sincerely,
John Troxell
Embarrassed in Portsmouth

Portsmouth, VA

#9 Jul 23, 2008
I am a young black woman who lives in Portsmouth and I am so embarrasseed by our mayors comments. If a white mayor had made these same comments the NAACP, the ACLU, and any other political groups might be petitioning right now for his or her resignation. That mayor would have had to resign today, yet mayor Holly makes no apologies. It is ridiculous that he feels like this type of comment was acceptable or needed. It is time to unite as a city we do not need negative politicians bringing our city down. If you want to find a hotel to hang your picture in take it to the Super 8, American Value, or Quality Inn on London Blvd. That is the only place it deserves to be hanging.
Lucian Friel

Portsmouth, VA

#10 Jul 23, 2008
This is the problem, not only with Portsmouth, but with America in general. "Mayor" Holley acts as though we are still seperate! It's mindsets like that that hold back progress (just like his re-election). Is he saying or implying that this "white" hotel doesn't allow blacks in? You have got to be kidding me. I don't know if you can impeach a mayor, but if you can- we need to do so now!
Daniel L

Portsmouth, VA

#11 Jul 23, 2008
I would like to believe that Mayor Holley would try to be representative of all of Portsmouth. It appears he is not and his continued trust to service all citizens of Portsmouth may be in jeopardy. His comments are divisive and cast doubt on redevelopment goals of the city. He needs to offer a sincere apology or cosider resigning.
Cindy

AOL

#12 Jul 23, 2008
The comments Mayor Holley made were not a big dealits just kind of sad for a city official to make thw situation about race,Maybe he should have his picture taken down from the lobby of the renaissance hotel.
Mike from Portsmouth

Tangier, VA

#13 Jul 23, 2008
To Donald; I guess the city of Norfolk does not have any crime. I missed that news release. It amazing how people who do not live here know every thing about the city. I guess I am one of the lucky ones of this city. I visit downtown restaurants at night. I very rarely watch a movie at a regular theater. My place of choice is the Commodore theater. I have yet to encounter any problems in downtown Portsmouth after the sun goes down. If your scared, say your scared and stay home!
norfolk va

AOL

#14 Jul 23, 2008
After seeing the comments made by the mayor yesterday, Im very concerened that more and more black leaders use race a way to get what they want. It seems to me that its the white population that is now suffering from prejudice.
David

United States

#15 Jul 23, 2008
Mayor Holley continues to embarrass our city. He may have served us well at one time, but his time is up. Every time he opens his mouth, he makes it more difficult to be proud of my home town. His apparent dementia is only going to get worse. He won the last election by a narrow margin. If only 300 more thinking people had voted, we would be rid of him. He needs to be recalled from office - permanently.
Snyders bagman

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Jul 23, 2008
How old is the mayor?
Isn't this the same guy who sent himself hate mail?
Who re-elected him?
David in Portsmouth

Mannboro, VA

#17 Jul 23, 2008
To Snyders bagman: Mayor Holley is 81. His fingerprints were found on hate mail sent to local black leaders opposed to the closing of Norcum High School, but he was never charged. He won by a narrow margin (less than 300 votes), split precisely along racial lines. Portsmouth's population is only 49% white. He was recalled many years ago but came back to reclaim the Mayor's office eight years later, and apparently now thinks he is invincible. Even though he has wrecked city cars three times, and is losing his mind, the solid black vote will keep him in office.
Gary - Portsmouth

Portsmouth, VA

#18 Jul 23, 2008
It seems that 2 of our elected officials are trying to return to the days of segregation. Mayor Holley, for his classification of hotels as black or white, and saying that he wants to see a black hotel. Also, Louise Lucas for putting forth the very idea of a black-only allowed ownership of this hotel--even if they are all the area's "finest citizens." That they are both black is even more astounding! Using her position, to which she was elected, by all of us, to try and coerce other officials to support her cause is a blatant and arrogant abuse of power and influence. It's time for both of these "legends in their own minds" to resign from public office to further the cause of racial harmony.
Belinda-Portsmou th

Cape Charles, VA

#19 Jul 23, 2008
Perhaps when Portsmouth can see the day when this man is no longer the Mayor then the changes needed in this city can take place. Exactly how old does he have to be before he will finally give up his position because it seems as though the voters of this city are just going to keep re-electing him because they have heard his name for so long. I don't understand how anyone can continue to cast a vote for him in view of the many (this is not the first) racial comments he has made. Maybe someone should inform him that the year is 2008 and not 1965, he may not be aware of this fact.
RMB PORTSMOUTH

Portsmouth, VA

#20 Jul 24, 2008
Thanks Mayor Holly...You now have all the sounding cities of Hampton Roads laughing at the city of Portsmouth. The best thing for you to do is to resign as soon as possible and if you could also get Senator Louise Lucas to do the same it would greatly be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) 6 min tordon 2,397
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min pepper 1,658,339
David (army man) 1 hr Barbara 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr hojo 64,309
What are you feelings on men wearing womens und... (Jul '12) Tue Panties 59 92
White women who act black and ghetto (Sep '12) Dec 12 Jaja 9
News Racist Violence in America (Aug '14) Dec 12 Jaja 27

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portsmouth Mortgages