Portsmouth wind turbine shut down; ne...

Portsmouth wind turbine shut down; needs $460,000 in repairs

There are 2 comments on the The Providence Journal story from Jul 16, 2012, titled Portsmouth wind turbine shut down; needs $460,000 in repairs. In it, The Providence Journal reports that:

In March 2009, officials heralded the installation of a 336-foot-tall wind turbine at the high school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Providence Journal.

Bill Carson

Mattapoisett, MA

#1 Jul 16, 2012
Trailer for movie Winfall is below .It,s a short film but it shows what happened in a town just like Portsmouth ,Rhode Island. People thought they were going green but the wind turbine contractors were taking the money right out of the taxpayers pockets !

The politicians and town employees of Portsmouth fit right in the picture- The Town of Portsmouth bought a commercial wind turbine from a start up company that went bankrupt.There was a lawsuit over the construction of the base before it was completed. The town lost its warranty when the company went bankrupt almost to the day they got final payment on the turbine.

The turbine had been plagued with problems for years ,dead batteries ,slip ring and mysterious shut downs on a daily routine.

Town employees had been restarting the turbine from remote computer locations around town and inside the turbine had been flipping a circuit breaker.

The maintenance company from Massachusetts was being paid $33,000.00 per year .Many feel the maintenance company wasn't called all the time because it would take several hours of down time away from the production of the turbine .

It may be a situation where the town drove the turbine too hard and kept pushing the reset button to get more production !

Check out the movie it's only a few minutes ;

http://firstrunfeatures.com/trailers_windfall...
PKidd

United States

#2 Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Bill Carson. Thanks you for your tenacity in shedding light on the reality of this boondoggle initiative that the Portsmouth Town Council initiated, promoted and brought to a vote. Unfortunately the uninformed citizens passed it and we are stuck with this broken down metalic, eyesore called a wind turbine. Personally my Portsmouth property taxes have gone up by about $1,400 in the last 4 years to pay for this piece of scrap(metal). You have no idea how frustrating this is. Every town council member who supported this initated should be fired or resign from the town council. Every one of them. They are too dumb to hold themselves out as leaders of our town. They got what they wanted though, didn't they? They got to feel good about themselves. "Look everybody-I'm green. I care about the environment". The next time you want to show everybody how much they care, do it with your own money.....not TAXPAYER'S MONEY!

I can't wait until November 6th!

Keep up the good fight, Bill. Keep posting and educating people.

Thx

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Middletown 1955-1960 (Jul '08) Dec '17 Michele 21
Sandy Werner Terrible Property manager Oct '17 Armchair Coach 1
Newport East Music Thread Jul '17 Musikologist 1
Greenleaf West main road needs to Move (Mar '17) Mar '17 ttinman 1
News R.I.'s last one-room school to close (Mar '09) Jan '17 tiger_-_dad 2
Portsmouth Wind Turbine Fiasco (Oct '15) Oct '15 Bob Delong 1
Review: Atlantis Painting And Contracting Inc. (Aug '13) Jun '15 Keith 2

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance