Potrtsmouth Wind Turbine - National R...

Potrtsmouth Wind Turbine - National Review

Posted in the Portsmouth Forum

Bill Carson

Mattapoisett, MA

#1 Dec 4, 2012
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/334599... #

December 3, 2012

.Deval-ued Wind Power
Green-energy delusions inflict a heavy cost on a Massachusetts town.
By Kevin D. Williamson

"Mr. Allen did not return messages seeking comment, but he has offered his ratepayers a possible solution: Get the hell out of the wind-energy business. Or, to be more precise, stay in the wind-energy business, but get somebody else to pay for it:“One possibility is to maintain the wind turbines in Princeton but to offload all or a portion of the electricity output, the associated costs and of course future risk and benefits. I personally like this option. Princeton will continue to be a leader in green energy production without having to burden its residents.” And that’s the green-energy ethic in miniature: It’s a wonderful thing, so long as somebody else is paying for it.

Not far away, the town of Portsmouth, R.I., went through a similar drama: After issuing some $3 million in bonds to build a wind turbine, Portsmouth saw the new unit quickly go dark because of mechanical problems. Reports the Westerly Sun:“The wind turbine, erected at Portsmouth High School in 2009, has been idle since June because of a faulty gear box. The town is evaluating whether to replace the gear box, with costs ranging from $611,000 to $703,000.” Local critics have taken to calling the turbine the “$2 million mistake,” although it is in fact a mistake worth at least $3 million plus interest on the bonds.

For small towns, wind power is a big idea with big costs — too big for their budgets. To understand the scale of Princeton’s multimillion-dollar wind-power losses, consider that its public-library budget amounts to just over $129,000, and that the municipality’s entire budget runs only about $8 million.

Needless to say, when the wind-power project was pitched, Princeton was told that it would be a profit-making enterprise, not a loss-making one — one more example that the word “investment” means the opposite of “investment” when it comes out of the mouth of a politician or a rent-seeking supplicant."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Middletown 1955-1960 (Jul '08) Apr 24 scburns 16
News Specialty 'Bristol 4th of July' license plates ... Apr '17 NATALE1934 1
Greenleaf West main road needs to Move Mar '17 ttinman 1
News Secret WWI telegram holds lessons for today, hi... Jan '17 James 1
News Jews and Muslims: Here From the Founding Jan '17 hasToDealwithIdios 1
News R.I.'s last one-room school to close (Mar '09) Jan '17 tiger_-_dad 2
News No More Tokens on Pell Bridge (Jan '09) Jan '17 pete in coventry 8

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance