More PEDC Members Quit Over 3 Million Wind Turbine Mistake

Posted in the Portsmouth Forum

Bill Carson

Mattapoisett, MA

#1 Oct 8, 2012
http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/another-vi...

Editor’s note: This item was published Wednesday by the Newport Daily News.

As a member of the subcommittee that was involved in the Portsmouth town wind turbine project, I have refrained from responding to the unwarranted implication at the Sept. 24 Town Council meeting that there were some “mistakes” made by the Portsmouth Economic Development Committee in the planning leading up to the construction of the turbine in Portsmouth. To do so would lend this politically motivated accusation credibility. That a subsequent proposal to have the PEDC investigate the decision-making process for “mistakes” was approved by all of our Town Council members (two of whom are liaison members of the PEDC) was very disturbing.

I have resigned from the PEDC because I feel that by accepting this proposal, the Town Council majority is trying to make use of the PEDC for political gain. I refuse to be a party to such manipulation. It seems time to set the record straight.

I believe that no “mistakes” were made by the PEDC during the development process. The fact is that all the steps in the PEDC process were open to the public and all major decisions were brought to the Town Council for their vote. Any major decisions, therefore, were made by the Town Council after due discussion and public comments, which included those of Portsmouth Concerned Citizens. The process included analyses by respected wind-energy consultants who noted no fatal flaws in the process and decisions. The entire process was freely open to public scrutiny and lasted well over two years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiverton Music Selection (Sep '12) Jan 10 Musikologist 10
Review: Crosspoint Church Jan 2 the husband of a nut 1
Do you support Bobby Oliveira? Dec '14 ConcernedCitizen 0
Rhode Island teen jailed for allegedly assaulti... Oct '14 Zacuraman 1
U.S. to press India on trade row during Modi's ... Oct '14 Humhainna 3
HELP!! LOST!!! "Eagle" RC Model Sailboat!!! Sep '14 bhpriestley 1
Gearbox Failure Investigation- Author: Roberts... (Nov '12) Jun '14 Jack DeLeo 6

Winter Storm Warning for Newport County was issued at February 01 at 1:01PM EST

Portsmouth Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Portsmouth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:36 am PST