Is the Bible telling us all to commit...

Is the Bible telling us all to commit suicide?

Posted in the Portsmouth Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#1 Dec 10, 2012
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
Matthew 5:29

We all sin because of our brains. Is the bible telling us to tear our brains out?
nooo

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Dec 10, 2012
reprogram your brain to know when sin is wrong and ask for forgiveness........
1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness..........
May God Bless You
faith

Sardinia, OH

#3 Dec 10, 2012
It is telling you you will perish. And you need a Savior. It is telling you what God has done for you. He has given you a Savior, because He loves you And He knows you can not save yourself. Tearing out your eye, keeping the law, doesnt go far enough as you noted And it never gave anybody a right relationship with God. You have a chance to freely choose Him. But, He has given you a choice. The only people who go to hell are people who do not want God. He is only fair.
wtfreally wrote:
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
We all sin because of our brains. Is the bible telling us to tear our brains out?
Buncha BS

Portsmouth, OH

#4 Dec 10, 2012
faith wrote:
It is telling you you will perish. And you need a Savior. It is telling you what God has done for you. He has given you a Savior, because He loves you And He knows you can not save yourself. Tearing out your eye, keeping the law, doesnt go far enough as you noted And it never gave anybody a right relationship with God. You have a chance to freely choose Him. But, He has given you a choice. The only people who go to hell are people who do not want God. He is only fair.
<quoted text>
In the Bullshit Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman.'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.

Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.

He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

-- George Carlin Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997
Roger Pedactor

Waverly, OH

#5 Dec 10, 2012
Someone gots a little problem......YOU started this..
DrNO

Portsmouth, OH

#6 Dec 10, 2012
Roger Pedactor wrote:
Someone gots a little problem......YOU started this..
Be quiet, Roger. You keep annoying folks on the religion threads and then they start getting on you and me just because we're gay.
Later, sweetcheeks.
Roger Pedactor

Waverly, OH

#7 Dec 10, 2012
DrNO wrote:
<quoted text>
Be quiet, Roger. You keep annoying folks on the religion threads and then they start getting on you and me just because we're gay.
Later, sweetcheeks.
You are certainly crazy! LOL
mamaw1950

Marianna, FL

#8 Dec 10, 2012
YES!!! You first!
ha

Portsmouth, OH

#9 Dec 10, 2012
wtfreally wrote:

Yes, God is telling you to kill yourself. Now drink my magic Kool-Aid
DrNO

Portsmouth, OH

#10 Dec 10, 2012
Roger Pedactor wrote:
<quoted text>You are certainly crazy! LOL
I'm sure crazy over the way you beg for my meat in your backside, baby! XOXO
faith

Sardinia, OH

#11 Dec 10, 2012
When we understand God's choosing us, we understand He chose us before we ever existed and that the reasons for choosing us lie entirely within Him, not in us. But, God does not have any chosen who do not in fact choose Him. How can you stand back and blame God for not choosing you when you do not chose Him, George Carlin's wisdom aside (sarcasm)?
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#12 Dec 10, 2012
I don't care what the bible says. God didn't right it. He supposedly told dozens of human prophets to write it for him. So, technically, God only exists in our world due to what some prophets wrote down in a bunch of different books and then those books were combined by sinners to make one big book and then it was translated many times by more sinners into many different languages.
Buncha BS

Portsmouth, OH

#13 Dec 10, 2012
faith wrote:
When we understand God's choosing us, we understand He chose us before we ever existed and that the reasons for choosing us lie entirely within Him, not in us. But, God does not have any chosen who do not in fact choose Him. How can you stand back and blame God for not choosing you when you do not chose Him, George Carlin's wisdom aside (sarcasm)?
I don't blame your non existant deity for anything, anymore than I'd place blame on any other fictional character for things that go on in the world.

And yeah, Carlin was adept at calling out the religious wingnuts.
Itsuptoyou

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 10, 2012
GOD gave all of mankind the choice of freewill so that we might choose our path in this life to either serve him and have everlasting life in heaven with him or eternal damnation and be cast into the lake of fire and be tortured forever just realize one thing....GOD is not the one who will put you, me or anyone whatsoever in HELL it is all up to each and everyone of us which path we choose to walk in this life so if a person decides to serve Satan they will be cast into hell and if they decide to walk with our lord and saviour they will have everlasting life in heaven so choose you have freewill to do whatever you choose.....Christians are not perfect that's why every day, I ask god to forgive me for anything ive done to offend. him....And in the BIBLE it says that if 2 or more are gathered in his name he is there..The church is inside of us in our hearts, I pray that the lord shows all non-believers that he is real.....You are in our prayers & may GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#15 Dec 11, 2012
Itsuptoyou wrote:
GOD gave all of mankind the choice of freewill so that we might choose our path in this life to either serve him and have everlasting life in heaven with him or eternal damnation and be cast into the lake of fire and be tortured forever just realize one thing....GOD is not the one who will put you, me or anyone whatsoever in HELL it is all up to each and everyone of us which path we choose to walk in this life so if a person decides to serve Satan they will be cast into hell and if they decide to walk with our lord and saviour they will have everlasting life in heaven so choose you have freewill to do whatever you choose.....Christians are not perfect that's why every day, I ask god to forgive me for anything ive done to offend. him....And in the BIBLE it says that if 2 or more are gathered in his name he is there..The church is inside of us in our hearts, I pray that the lord shows all non-believers that he is real.....You are in our prayers & may GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!
All he would have to do is show us non-believers that he is real and we would follow him. But that's not going to happen. No worldly event could change my mind. If I was to be diagnosed with terminal cancer and then beat it, I would not give credit to "God".
Itsuptoyou

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 11, 2012
wtfreally wrote:
<quoted text>
All he would have to do is show us non-believers that he is real and we would follow him. But that's not going to happen. No worldly event could change my mind. If I was to be diagnosed with terminal cancer and then beat it, I would not give credit to "God".
I am not trying to make you believe or not believe in GOD that's up to you I was just posting my oppion myself as u can tell I do believe in GOD even though I'm not able to physically see touch hear etc but I choose to believe in the unseen......
faith

Sardinia, OH

#17 Dec 11, 2012
God exists in the world as fully human fully God in the person of Jesus Christ, witnessed by many people. He lived a life of sinless perfection, which caused the world to hate Him. And He (let the world) put nails in His hands, stripes on His back, spit in His face, nail Him to a cross, cause Him to die and go to hell to pay your sin debt, the life of an innocent for the sinner and opportunity for you to freely accept Him. Do you really want to tell Him that is not good enough for you? What more can He do for you. If you do not believe God wants you right with Him, then you not want God. Do not blame anybody else for your choices.
wtfreally wrote:
I don't care what the bible says. God didn't right it. He supposedly told dozens of human prophets to write it for him. So, technically, God only exists in our world due to what some prophets wrote down in a bunch of different books and then those books were combined by sinners to make one big book and then it was translated many times by more sinners into many different languages.
faith

Sardinia, OH

#18 Dec 11, 2012
Carlin is dead, just like so many millions of others who relied on themselves, clinging to their wisdom, not living above it, like God called them to do, and perished in their sins, because they gloried in themselves and rejected the wisdom of God. I wonder what the look on his face was when his body died and the spirit that he really is went to his destination for knowing God, knowing that He needed a Savior, was provided a Savior at great expense to God and rejecting that for whatever he took to the grave with him. Is that your state when your knee bows to Him and your tongue confesses that Jesus Crist is Lord?
Buncha BS wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't blame your non existant deity for anything, anymore than I'd place blame on any other fictional character for things that go on in the world.
And yeah, Carlin was adept at calling out the religious wingnuts.
Oh Really

Portsmouth, OH

#19 Dec 11, 2012
wtfreally wrote:
<quoted text>
You never know unless you are really diagnosed with terminal cancer.
One who knows

Lucasville, OH

#20 Dec 11, 2012
Wtfreally is probably correct there is nothing that anyone can say on this thread to change his mind. But, I do give him a challenge. If you ever want to confirm that you are correct and are willing for a small field trip try this. According to the Bible the Holy Spirit has now been given to the world that is able to be felt by Christians and Sinners alike. Just attend a church service where God's Spirit is able to be felt. If you was in Portsmouth I could tell you many churches, but I'm unsure of where you live. But, I would suggest either a community church or a Baptist church. Although even with these I'm sure some will not have God's presence in them either.
Also, you could not in irony but just pray to God to reveal himself to you if he does in deed exist. God does not need our money by the way. He needs nothing from us. But, because he has given us everything and it all really belongs to him. It is asked of us to give back to him 10% of what we make. This is part of us showing our love back to him.
I know you will not want to take on my challenge. But, just know if your right you have nothing to gain or lose. But, if I'm right. And, I am. Then you have eternity to lose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jpay inmate email (May '10) 5 min abc 92
working girls 19 min stroked 6
Kayla Eitel was One of Larry Dean Porter's Girls 27 min willingtohelp 10
Nikki Syroney (Mar '15) 1 hr shop lifting 11
Hope Damron 1 hr drugsrus 4
shae piatt bby daddy 1 hr sprayed her 20
February is black history month 2 hr FOVR 168
FINALLY Derek Allen to increase sewage rates 3 hr Harper Fearing 36
More from around the web

Personal Finance