right to work
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
voice of reason

United States

#1 Dec 9, 2012
Congratulations Michigan. No more forced union membership! No one should be forced to join a union. Union-ok; forced- no.
nono

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Dec 9, 2012
Not everyone was forced into unions
voice of reason

United States

#3 Dec 9, 2012
nono wrote:
Not everyone was forced into unions
No of course not, but they couldn't work in their skilled area without joining the union.
yes

Marion, OH

#4 Dec 9, 2012
voice of reason wrote:
Congratulations Michigan. No more forced union membership! No one should be forced to join a union. Union-ok; forced- no.
Portsmouth does not care about Michigan , moron
when

United States

#5 Dec 9, 2012
yes wrote:
<quoted text>Portsmouth does not care about Michigan , moron
Just hoping what happens there happens here. Unions now are the worst corrupt organization. They started for the benefit of working people. Now it's all threats, dirty dealing, and money grabbing.
Dr Seuss

Sunbury, OH

#6 Dec 10, 2012
voice of reason wrote:
According to current Federal Law, nobody can be forced to join a union. When given the option, new employees normally agree to join the union (even though they may not want to) because of the better pay and benefits. The only thing forced is the requirement of the union that each member must pay dues in order to receive the better pay, benefits and legal representation by the union. Right-To-Work For Less makes paying union dues an option for the members and requires the union to still represent all members. Over the years, members slowly quit paying their dues and the union goes bankrupt. The purpose of Right-To-Work For Less is to bankrupt unions in order to take away their political power and the political power of the Democratic Party.
Agree

Marion, OH

#7 Dec 10, 2012
Dr Seuss wrote:
<quoted text>
According to current Federal Law, nobody can be forced to join a union. When given the option, new employees normally agree to join the union (even though they may not want to) because of the better pay and benefits. The only thing forced is the requirement of the union that each member must pay dues in order to receive the better pay, benefits and legal representation by the union. Right-To-Work For Less makes paying union dues an option for the members and requires the union to still represent all members. Over the years, members slowly quit paying their dues and the union goes bankrupt. The purpose of Right-To-Work For Less is to bankrupt unions in order to take away their political power and the political power of the Democratic Party.
Could not have said it any better, agree!!!!!!!
make ohio right to work

Portsmouth, OH

#8 Dec 10, 2012
Dr Seuss wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should be forced to pay union dues. Nobody should have to support an organization they may not agree with. Period.

Just because you think unions are so great doesn't mean everybody in your profession does. Just because you think they're worth investing in doesn't mean everybody in your profession does. If a union wants my money, it should try being worth my money.

Not that it matters in the long run. Unions are dinosaurs going extinct no matter what.

They are dying because those kind of jobs are disappearing and they will never be coming back. Unskilled laborers can be replaced by machines.
Dr Seuss

Sunbury, OH

#9 Dec 10, 2012
make ohio right to work wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should be forced to pay union dues. Nobody should have to support an organization they may not agree with. Period.
Just because you think unions are so great doesn't mean everybody in your profession does. Just because you think they're worth investing in doesn't mean everybody in your profession does. If a union wants my money, it should try being worth my money.
Not that it matters in the long run. Unions are dinosaurs going extinct no matter what.
They are dying because those kind of jobs are disappearing and they will never be coming back. Unskilled laborers can be replaced by machines.
There are NO non-union members who are forced to pay union dues. The only people who are forced to pay union dues ARE THE UNION MEMBERS. Under current law, if you don't want to pay union dues, then don't join the union! And if you don't join the union, you get the company's pay and benefit package, not the union's negotiated pay and benefits package. Right to Work For Less forces the union to work for you free of charge, but you can pay for those services if you want to, but if you don't, that's ok, the union will work for free for you and somehow fund itself.

Right to Work For Less is identical to the government telling a business owner that he must provide his services to everyone who wants them FREE OF CHARGE, but if people want to pay for those services, the owner is allowed to sit a tip jar on the counter where the cash register used to be and the customers can insert their donations there. I can tell you right now, he wouldn't be in business very long! Doesn't that sound like the perfect way to write a law to intentionally bankrupt businesses?

You people don't even know what you are voting for half of the time.
gary

Celina, OH

#10 Dec 11, 2012
Dr Seuss wrote:
<quoted text>
im not sure thats true? in jackson, there is a company, that, if you want to be full time, you must become a union member? i have worked in fla. a right to work state. didnt see a problem with it?
make ohio right to work

Portsmouth, OH

#11 Dec 11, 2012
Dr Seuss wrote:
<quoted text>
There are NO non-union members who are forced to pay union dues. The only people who are forced to pay union dues ARE THE UNION MEMBERS. Under current law, if you don't want to pay union dues, then don't join the union! And if you don't join the union, you get the company's pay and benefit package, not the union's negotiated pay and benefits package. Right to Work For Less forces the union to work for you free of charge, but you can pay for those services if you want to, but if you don't, that's ok, the union will work for free for you and somehow fund itself.
Right to Work For Less is identical to the government telling a business owner that he must provide his services to everyone who wants them FREE OF CHARGE, but if people want to pay for those services, the owner is allowed to sit a tip jar on the counter where the cash register used to be and the customers can insert their donations there. I can tell you right now, he wouldn't be in business very long! Doesn't that sound like the perfect way to write a law to intentionally bankrupt businesses?
You're the one that doesn't know what he is talking about.

http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_1_p.htm

"Question: Can I be required to be a union member or pay dues to a union?

Answer: You may not be required to be a union member. But, if you do not work in a Right to Work state, you may be required to pay union fees."

Here it is again, from a different source:
http://aclj.org/workplace-rights/unions-union...
"As a general rule, no employee, whether in the private or public sector, can legally be required to join a union and pay full union dues. Yet, in many states, an employee can be forced to pay certain union dues or be fired."

In non-Right to Work states, you can be forced to pay dues whether you're in the union or not. Right to Work legislation is about PROTECTING workers from being forced to support causes they don't believe in. It's about giving them the freedom to decide if they want to give their money to the union or not.

Again: if the union wants my money, they should try being worth my money. Then they can have it. Unions today are largely worthless, though, and they really don't have a purpose other than trying to make sure people get paid way too much for doing way too little.
make ohio right to work

Portsmouth, OH

#12 Dec 11, 2012
Dr Seuss wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure YOU'RE not the one that doesnt know what he's talking about? Workers in non-Right to Work states CAN be forced to pay dues or an equivalent. here are some sources:

Answer: You may not be required to be a union member. But, if you do not work in a Right to Work state, you may be required to pay union fees."

"As a general rule, no employee, whether in the private or public sector, can legally be required to join a union and pay full union dues. Yet, in many states, an employee can be forced to pay certain union dues or be fired."
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#13 Dec 11, 2012
make ohio right to work wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure YOU'RE not the one that doesnt know what he's talking about? Workers in non-Right to Work states CAN be forced to pay dues or an equivalent. here are some sources:
We can post links all day long from Anti-union and Pro-union websites. The only thing that matters is our opinions. I ask you a question:

What will the absence of unions do for you and this country?
dick

Chillicothe, OH

#14 Dec 11, 2012
if you dont want a union job, go do something else and cry about your shizzy job!
Bubba

Marion, OH

#15 Dec 12, 2012
I feel sorry for Michigan's workers, but how many of them voted for thier Gov.????????

B.T.W. I wonder when the Motor City Moron (Ted Nugent) is going to jail or be dead?? He said "if Obama gets relected he would be dead or be in jail".......... LOL
I would like to see the "dead" thing happen.......
make ohio right to work

Portsmouth, OH

#16 Dec 12, 2012
wtfreally wrote:
<quoted text>
We can post links all day long from Anti-union and Pro-union websites. The only thing that matters is our opinions. I ask you a question:
What will the absence of unions do for you and this country?
I think that, when crafting public policy, the only thing that matters are the facts. it says a lot that you disagree.
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#17 Dec 12, 2012
Fact: Lowering wages and benefits does not improve the economy and/or make middle class lives better. Right To Work For Less is designed to do lower wages and benefits.
omg

United States

#18 Dec 12, 2012
wtfreally wrote:
Fact: Lowering wages and benefits does not improve the economy and/or make middle class lives better. Right To Work For Less is designed to do lower wages and benefits.
Right to Work allows those who wish to work in a certain profession without being forced to join a union. Some people have morals and don't want to be greedy union thugs. Did you see the Union Guy beating up the guy who only asked him a question, tore down a huge tent with women and elderly people inside. Had to be cut out because union thugs standing on tent so they couldn't get out. Threatening to get guns and kill. Said they had done it before and would do it again.
wtfreally

Sunbury, OH

#19 Dec 12, 2012
omg wrote:
<quoted text>
Right to Work allows those who wish to work in a certain profession without being forced to join a union. Some people have morals and don't want to be greedy union thugs. Did you see the Union Guy beating up the guy who only asked him a question, tore down a huge tent with women and elderly people inside. Had to be cut out because union thugs standing on tent so they couldn't get out. Threatening to get guns and kill. Said they had done it before and would do it again.
No, what instance are you talking about? All I asked was what will Right To Work For Less do for YOU, not "those". There are extremists on both sides. When it comes to YOU, what will Right To Work For Less DO FOR YOU? That should be a simple question, but apparently it's not
dick

Chillicothe, OH

#20 Dec 12, 2012
i am sick of union workers being called thugs and democrats being accused of getting welfare. i guess republicans are your model citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
my kid wants an american bulldog. 28 min DrNo 8
where are they 34 min DrNo 15
Does GOD really Exist??? 1 hr Whitey Blackman 179
blonde hair in sion 1 hr Battle Creek Hero 14
7 Dead in Portsmouth 1 hr Big B 12
What can make Portsmouth Great again?? 1 hr Whitey Blackman 14
Kim Curry 4 hr Milkshake 23

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance