This dog is reportedly the center of ...

This dog is reportedly the center of animal neglect accusations in Portsmouth.

There are 76 comments on the Portsmouth Daily Times story from Jan 14, 2012, titled This dog is reportedly the center of animal neglect accusations in Portsmouth.. In it, Portsmouth Daily Times reports that:

According to Portsmouth Health Commissioner Chris Smith, the city's animal control officer, Wendy Payton, received a call last week that a dog had been neglected at Carrie Ann DeLotell's Portsmouth home and she investigated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Portsmouth Daily Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Aunt CiCi

United States

#1 Jan 16, 2012
Wendy Payton should be fired & the so called owner should be charged with animal cruelty & neglect....The pics that I have seen clearly show the poor baby is starving & weak & can barely hold its head up because of the chain. Please please someone take this pup away from that place if it is not too late already & give it the care & love it deserves...
gossip_girl

Marion, OH

#2 Jan 16, 2012
If Wendy Payton had not found the dog when she did, the dog would be dead. The dognapper took it to the vet, posed as the owner, and requested it to be euthanized. That is straight from the official report from Wendy's boss posted on the PDT website.

The dog is sick, the owner has been trying to care for it. It was pretty bad when she originally ado[ted it, and it's slowly getting better with the help from a vet. It says so in the story you posted.

The people who should be shot are people who seek revenge by kidnapping a person's pet, then take it to the vet to be killed.
dog owner

Jackson, OH

#3 Jan 16, 2012
gossip_girl wrote:
If Wendy Payton had not found the dog when she did, the dog would be dead. The dognapper took it to the vet, posed as the owner, and requested it to be euthanized. That is straight from the official report from Wendy's boss posted on the PDT website.
The dog is sick, the owner has been trying to care for it. It was pretty bad when she originally ado[ted it, and it's slowly getting better with the help from a vet. It says so in the story you posted.
The people who should be shot are people who seek revenge by kidnapping a person's pet, then take it to the vet to be killed.
I agree 101%. These so called animal lover nut cases are coming out of the woodwork. They have no clue as to the facts and are blinded by this pretend animal welfare thing they have stuck in their heads.
Most of these people in real life are completely out of touch with reality!
Rather than going around kidnapping pets, posting threats, acting silly and so forth, the Peta idiots should comb the countryside finding and removing the thousands of stray dogs, feral cats and uncared for animals left to run loose spreading deceases and damaging property. But they don't. That requires $$$ and lots of real work, not to mention then having to face the reality that most of these animals need to be put down because there are not enough responsible adopters for these animals.

Instead, they live in this goofy dream world, completely out of touch with reality, thinking that they can save all these animals.
I ,personally believe most of these freaks are only in it because of mental problems they have.
Is there an pet animal problem? Answer is yes. There are people who abuse animals. This could be easily solved by the animal control people and the courts if they actually did their jobs. But the real problem is all the so-called animal lovers who let their pets run loose and who imagine this is OK. And also the huge problem of all the strays and feral animals that breed and need to be rounded up and put to sleep!
Yes, it's a sad job, but it is one that needs to be done!
That is reality!
Get the Facts

Galion, OH

#4 Jan 16, 2012
Dear God I wish people would gets the facts on this case. I love animals dearly but if I EVER become as crazy as these F#&K Nuts are I hope someone in my family will have the good sense to blow my head off. What a bunch of nuts!!!!!!!!!! They could fill up an entire mental ward wing with these people. Good luck to the real animal control officers and police in this crazy town, their gonna need it.
Get the Facts

Galion, OH

#5 Jan 16, 2012
Aunt CiCi wrote:
Wendy Payton should be fired & the so called owner should be charged with animal cruelty & neglect....The pics that I have seen clearly show the poor baby is starving & weak & can barely hold its head up because of the chain. Please please someone take this pup away from that place if it is not too late already & give it the care & love it deserves...
You don't have a clue as to what is really going on here. You are believing the crazy rantings of these so called humane agents. They will be eating their words here shortly and you will see what a fool they have made out of you and the hundreds of others that have been listening to their pack of lies.
nuts

Marion, OH

#6 Jan 16, 2012
I am SHOCKED at how ignorant and insane the people on facebook are. These people act like they are just getting off their crazy pills. I like animals and would never be mean to one, but these people talk like they are sitting at home french kissing their poodle every night!
wth is wrong with this

Marion, OH

#7 Jan 16, 2012
Portsmouth Dog Abuse Probe Ignites Facebook War
Some call it "vigilante dognapping," while others say it was a rescue.
Reporter: Randy Yohe
Email Address: [email protected]

----------
Dog Launches Facebook War

Story 0 Comments Font Size: PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (WSAZ)-- A local case of what some are calling "vigilante dognapping" has sparked an alleged assault -- even death threats over something that's gone viral on Facebook.

WSAZ.com found several sides of what some say started out as a Good Samaritan act.

Neighbors in Portsmouth reported last Thursday what they thought was a starving, abandoned dog.

The city animal control officer responded. She says she was handling the incident by the book when the dog was stolen, according to the city. Others say the dog was rescued.

The aftermath was posted on Facebook for all to interpret -- many going to extremes

Animal control officer Wendy Payton says when she checked on the black dog on Laurel Street, she saw a skinny, sick animal with food, water, shelter and no one home.

She posted a 24-hour notice of contact or confiscation on the house. Payton says dog owner Carrie DeLotell contacted her promptly and agreed to take her dog Tyson to the vet.

But later that day, both say Tyson was stolen from the house by an unauthorized humane society volunteer.

“To go on someone's property and take a dog without leaving notice is just unacceptable,” Payton said.

Tyson was taken to the Scioto Trail Animal Clinic where the vet says the dog was underweight. It was diagnosed with worms and mange.

But, the vet adds that Tyson's condition was likely the result -- not of neglect -- but an owner acting as a vet.

“One of self diagnosis and self medication --using the wrong meds,” Dr. Dennis Wilcox said.

DeLotell said, "My dog was in no danger of dying; it did need a vet.”

She reported her dog stolen to Payton, who found the dog at the animal clinic and returned it.

The incident ignited volatile posts on Facebook -- with threats against both owner and officer.

”I was threatened that I should be chained outside and starved to death until I am dead,” Payton said.

DeLotell said, "I got spit on and punched in the face. I’ve been harassed, threatened, cussed at and stalked on Facebook.

She added that her children have been threatened over this; she now carries a gun and says she may have to move. She also may file criminal charges against the alleged dog thief.

We talked to the president of the Scioto Area Humane Society who says her volunteer member had every right to take a dog thought to be neglected and abandoned.
Mercy

New Philadelphia, OH

#8 Jan 16, 2012
1717.08 POLICE POWERS OF OFFICERS, AGENTS, AND MEMBERS
An officer, agent, or member of the Ohio humane society or of a county humane society may interfere to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty to animals in his presence, may use such force as is necessary to prevent it, and to that end may summon to his aid any bystanders.

1717.13 ANY PERSON MAY PROTECT ANIMAL
When, in order to protect any animal from neglect, it is necessary to take possession of it, any person may do so. When an animal is impounded or confined, and continues without necessary food, water, or proper attention for more than fifteen successive hours, any person may, as often as is necessary, enter any place in which the animal is impounded or confined and supply it with necessary food, water, and attention, so long as it remains there, or, if necessary or convenient, he may remove such animal; and he shall not be liable to an action for such entry. In all cases the owner or custodian of such animal, if known to such person, immediately shall be notified by him of such action. If the owner or custodian is unknown to such person, and cannot with reasonable effort be ascertained by him, such animal shall be considered an estray and dealt with as such.

(Please remember that the humane society thought this animal abandoned.)

Source:

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/oh_cru...

link to pictures of the dog in question:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/...

Another picture of this poor baby:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php...

This animal was in the owners care since the beginning of summer. She never took it to a vet. She had to be ordered to by a dog warden and a humane society worker had to do it instead. This sick animal was left out in the cold with mange and worms on a chain with no food (the neighbor filled his bowl in that pix). You can see by the pix that this woman wasn't caring for this animal. And now, its been found out she isn't allowed to have a dog by the landlord. Nice, real bloody nice.
NO LIE

Germany

#9 Jan 17, 2012
nuts wrote:
I am SHOCKED at how ignorant and insane the people on facebook are. These people act like they are just getting off their crazy pills. I like animals and would never be mean to one, but these people talk like they are sitting at home french kissing their poodle every night!
I think "Mercy" over in New Philadelphia must be!....... maybe even worse!
ROTFLMAO
Mercy

New Philadelphia, OH

#10 Jan 18, 2012
I think dog owner is nuts for neglecting a sick animal for 5 months without taking him to the vet. The owner has been caught in lie after lie. I know most of you people are the same few friends she has on FB just trying to help her cover her butt. Guess what, not everyone is fooled by your lies and slander.
Mercy

New Philadelphia, OH

#11 Jan 18, 2012
NO LIE wrote:
<quoted text>
I think "Mercy" over in New Philadelphia must be!....... maybe even worse!
ROTFLMAO
At least I live in Ohio moron. I don't even HAVE a dog! I am allergic to the fleas and parasites they normally have. NORMALLY! Not being forced to endure hook worms and mange for 5 months with no vet care and an owner that acts to think to to know better.

But I am crazy enough to know how to treat a animal properly and I am crazy enough to find out what I do NOT know. I am also crazy enough to admit when I am wrong and I don't try and cover my ass at the expense of a poor defensless creature. Or as the OWNER puts it, "just a dog"

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that abuse is wrong.

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#12 Jan 18, 2012
Where is the TRASHY person button? I need that for No Lie, Nuts, and a few other of these freaks here. You can post ridiculous BS here all you want, really, but it is very plain to those of us who have seen the pictures, heard the facts, know that this dog was horribly neglected and abused. But then, I have seen her friends post IT'S JUST A DOG and WHAT'S WRONG WITH LEAVING A DOG OUTSIDE IN THE MIDST OF AN OHIO WINTER--That tells most sane, intelligent people a great deal about this woman, and her friends.
Saffron

Columbus, OH

#13 Jan 18, 2012
People who love their dogs do not keep them on a chain 24/7, that's all there is to it. Dogs are not lawn ornaments, if that's what you want head to a nursery. My dogs are part of my family, as they should be.
It's not sensible to bring a dog home if your not allowed to have a dog at that home. Sooner or later that dog is going to be given up thru no fault of his.
I'm not buying this sudden turn around on that owners part, if she had really loved Tyson so much, he would never have gotten to the point he was at. I feel better knowing all eyes are on her now and hope that continues.
silly

Galion, OH

#14 Jan 18, 2012
all of a sudden, everyone is "experts" on animal neglect.

the vet concluded that there wasn't animal neglect, just animal stupidity. I personally can't stand dog owners who don't care for their dogs. but if the vet says there was no neglect, then let it go! because in a courtroom, the vet's opinion is the only one that matters. pursuing the matter further by harassing the dog owner is just stupid!

and aunt cici/mercy (same person) posting from new philly, blaming the humane society worker is even more stupid! learn about protocols and policies before spouting off about who should be fired. she did exactly what any humane society worker would do.
nuts

Marion, OH

#15 Jan 18, 2012
JenniferInSC wrote:
Where is the TRASHY person button? I need that for No Lie, Nuts, and a few other of these freaks here. You can post ridiculous BS here all you want, really, but it is very plain to those of us who have seen the pictures, heard the facts, know that this dog was horribly neglected and abused. But then, I have seen her friends post IT'S JUST A DOG and WHAT'S WRONG WITH LEAVING A DOG OUTSIDE IN THE MIDST OF AN OHIO WINTER--That tells most sane, intelligent people a great deal about this woman, and her friends.
Well genius, our 'Ohio winter' has been in the 40s and 50s. Most of us know that dogs are animals and animals belong, where? Outside! Go french kiss your dog all you want, I keep mine outside where it can be a D O G!
nuts

Marion, OH

#16 Jan 18, 2012
Most of you 'dog people' are just people who want to give your opinion and don't care about dogs.

I saw this post on WSAZ from someone who actually worked with animals and thought it was perfect:

I am also a FaceBook member. People I love animals to the extreme. But I also care about people. We should too. Those words of anger and strife? Are you not HUMAN? I'm a former Portsmouth boy. I used to work for Karr's Vet. Clinic under Dr. Owen Karr. That where my love for animals began. This woman was dealt with the law on the books. The law, we the people voted on someone to take care of such things. Then there is another law we the people should live by, we should not make this woman feel the she feels. Even the officer Wendi Payton we you paid her to do her job and she did it. You didn't like being known as the Pill capital of the U.S. Now you trying your best to be known as the Vigilantees of the world? The woman is making a change then give it a rest PLEASE. Right now I am ashame of some of you. Show her and her family some of that compassion as you did for the dog and see what great things could happen.
nuts

Marion, OH

#17 Jan 18, 2012
Saffron wrote:
People who love their dogs do not keep them on a chain 24/7, that's all there is to it. Dogs are not lawn ornaments, if that's what you want head to a nursery. My dogs are part of my family, as they should be.
It's not sensible to bring a dog home if your not allowed to have a dog at that home. Sooner or later that dog is going to be given up thru no fault of his.
I'm not buying this sudden turn around on that owners part, if she had really loved Tyson so much, he would never have gotten to the point he was at. I feel better knowing all eyes are on her now and hope that continues.
So you would rather her be cruel to the dog than accept she is trying. You are a moron and it shows that it doesn't matter about Tyson, you just want to complain.
The Law Not HearSay

Marion, OH

#18 Jan 18, 2012
Mercy wrote:
1717.08 POLICE POWERS OF OFFICERS, AGENTS, AND MEMBERS
An officer, agent, or member of the Ohio humane society or of a county humane society may interfere to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty to animals in his presence, may use such force as is necessary to prevent it, and to that end may summon to his aid any bystanders.
1717.13 ANY PERSON MAY PROTECT ANIMAL
When, in order to protect any animal from neglect, it is necessary to take possession of it, any person may do so. When an animal is impounded or confined, and continues without necessary food, water, or proper attention for more than fifteen successive hours, any person may, as often as is necessary, enter any place in which the animal is impounded or confined and supply it with necessary food, water, and attention, so long as it remains there, or, if necessary or convenient, he may remove such animal; and he shall not be liable to an action for such entry. In all cases the owner or custodian of such animal, if known to such person, immediately shall be notified by him of such action. If the owner or custodian is unknown to such person, and cannot with reasonable effort be ascertained by him, such animal shall be considered an estray and dealt with as such.
(Please remember that the humane society thought this animal abandoned.)
Source:
http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/oh_cru...
link to pictures of the dog in question:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/...
Another picture of this poor baby:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php...
This animal was in the owners care since the beginning of summer. She never took it to a vet. She had to be ordered to by a dog warden and a humane society worker had to do it instead. This sick animal was left out in the cold with mange and worms on a chain with no food (the neighbor filled his bowl in that pix). You can see by the pix that this woman wasn't caring for this animal. And now, its been found out she isn't allowed to have a dog by the landlord. Nice, real bloody nice.
THANK YOU!!!! NOW LET THEM COMPLAIN!!!
Mercy

New Philadelphia, OH

#19 Jan 18, 2012
silly wrote:
all of a sudden, everyone is "experts" on animal neglect.
the vet concluded that there wasn't animal neglect, just animal stupidity. I personally can't stand dog owners who don't care for their dogs. but if the vet says there was no neglect, then let it go! because in a courtroom, the vet's opinion is the only one that matters. pursuing the matter further by harassing the dog owner is just stupid!
and aunt cici/mercy (same person) posting from new philly, blaming the humane society worker is even more stupid! learn about protocols and policies before spouting off about who should be fired. she did exactly what any humane society worker would do.
WTH? I wasn't saying anything bad about the Humane Society Worker. All I did was post OHIO LAW. I think the Humane Society Worker did good! I was refering to the dog warden that returned a sick animal to the person that let it get that way in the first place. The person that had to be told to take their sick animal to the VET after neglecting it for 5 months. Which they didn't, the Humane Society worker had to step in and do it. And wth? aunt cici?(Not Same Person)
Mercy

New Philadelphia, OH

#20 Jan 18, 2012
The Law Not HearSay wrote:
<quoted text>
THANK YOU!!!! NOW LET THEM COMPLAIN!!!
Thank you, someone who GETS IT!

That was the post that got everyone on my ass. lmao.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
name hookers that hookup with mexicans 21 min Tyrone black 13
John Conley deletes Arson discussions 47 min Seth Jewett 5
anybody want a free headjob? 4 hr Your dad 108
Who overdosed 6 hr Tyrone black 21
Okay who is this Perry dude? 8 hr Perry T Mason jr 42
Mothers with children of drug dealers 11 hr never learn 23
Angie scarberry 20 hr Perry T Mason jr 37

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance