Goodwill Prices TOO HIGH!!

Posted in the Portsmouth Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
valleyview

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 21, 2010
What is it with the Portsmouth Goodwill store and their high prices?? The items are donated free of charge to them. Why do they charge such high prices?? Other Goodwills are a lot more reasonable with their prices. Check it out!!
A Goodwill Advocate

Marion, OH

#2 Apr 23, 2010
I disagree. The pricing at the Portsmouth Goodwill store is more than reasonable. Yes, most items that are for sale there are donated items and they are donated free of charge. They also have some items that are "new goods" that they purchase for resale. The donated items that are put out on the sales floor are examined and depending upon the condition of the items and the shape they are in determines what selling price is put on the item. There are certain guidelines that are followed to determine the price of the item. Many items for sale are in very good and like new condition. The pricing that is put on these items are very reasonable especially when they are compared to like items that are sold at department and retail stores. What many people fail to realize that yes most items that are sold at Goodwill are donated free of charge from giving people in our community. But just because the donation is free, does not mean that Goodwill can just give the items away for nothing. Goodwill is a not for profit organization and the mission of Goodwill is to help those people who are at a disadvantage through the power of work. Thus those "high Prices" that you may believe are overly priced are actually not. The sale of those donated items helps to employ approximately 50 individuals in the counties of Scioto, Lawrence, Gallia, and Meigs Counties in Ohio and Greenup and Vanceburg Counties is Kentucky. Through the sale of donated items Goodwill is fullfilling its mission by providing individuals with full and part time employment. That in and of itself is a great thing that Goodwill provides for our community. Not only that, but certain donated items that are perhaps not in saleable condition are sent off to be recycled, thus savings millions of pounds of trash from being dumped into landfills. Many people are not aware of all of the good things that Goodwill provides for not only our community but any and all communities in which Goodwill stores operate in the United States and even internationally. So the next time you are shopping in the Portsmouth Goodwill store location think to yourself, "How much would I pay for this item if I bought it at a department store?" The answer is probably a significant amount more. Also think about what good you are doing by purchasing that item. You are contributing to quite a few individuals being provided an employment opportunity versus sitting at home and collecting a monthly check from the government. Goodwill is a wonderful organization and does wonderful things for the community. In today's society no one should expect to get anything for free, it's just not feasible. There is a price associated with everything. But it is very unfair to say that our Portsmouth Goodwill store is overpricing items when obviously it is not. Why attack an organization that does so much to give back to the communities in which we live in? And you shouldn't judge someone or somewhere without first knowing the history behind the individual or organization. Perhaps if people would research things more thoroughly they would gain a better understanding of the purpose of an organization and not be so quick to be so negatively judgemental. Just something to think about. Maybe the next time after knowing a bit of history, those high prices you are referring to, won't seem so high afterall. At least give it a thought.
valleyview

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Apr 25, 2010
I disagree with you Goodwill Advocate. I shop there a couple times a month and someone is always complaining about your high prices. Especially in your housewares and glassware items. Some of the nick nacks will have their original price on the bottom and your price is the same or higher. I also go to other Goodwills and have noticed their prices are lower than yours. Just stating what I have observed. I believe you do a good thing for the community in hiring people and giving them jobs. I like many of your workers and they are hard working workers. Pam, Linda, Lisa, and Fay are the only ones I know of their names, but most of your employees are great workers. I just feel and I am sure other customers feel the same that some of your items are overpriced.
justnuts

Marion, OH

#4 Apr 25, 2010
i love thrift stores, and i already knew what good that goodwill does, and so i dont mind giving money to them at all...but i believe some of the prices are ridiculous, also ....so i agree with both posters, some of the yardsale quality housewares ARE way overpriced, some are a bargain...so i will still go, thats how it is:) plz support the salvation army thrift store too, they do amazing stuff in the community too! and super cheap or free! but typically many lower quality items,you have to take the time to dig,which is the fun part to me :) but sometimes a nice item can be found for next to nothing...kids books are always! dirt cheap
Face it you are too HIgh

Marion, OH

#5 Apr 25, 2010
I used to go the the Goodwill before I checked Salvation Army for our clothes. However, I stopped going to the Goodwill in Portsmouth because they are way overpriced! The store looks great since they changed management a few years ago but she raised the prices out of reach for our family. The thrift stores are where we get our clothes since I lost my job in 07'. Salvation Army is a better place to shop in terms of affordability and value for the money. Hands down!!
Face it you are too HIgh

Marion, OH

#6 Apr 25, 2010
A Goodwill Advocate wrote:
I disagree. The pricing at the Portsmouth Goodwill store is more than reasonable. Yes, most items that are for sale there are donated items and they are donated free of charge. They also have some items that are "new goods" that they purchase for resale. The donated items that are put out on the sales floor are examined and depending upon the condition of the items and the shape they are in determines what selling price is put on the item. There are certain guidelines that are followed to determine the price of the item. Many items for sale are in very good and like new condition. The pricing that is put on these items are very reasonable especially when they are compared to like items that are sold at department and retail stores. What many people fail to realize that yes most items that are sold at Goodwill are donated free of charge from giving people in our community. But just because the donation is free, does not mean that Goodwill can just give the items away for nothing. Goodwill is a not for profit organization and the mission of Goodwill is to help those people who are at a disadvantage through the power of work. Thus those "high Prices" that you may believe are overly priced are actually not. The sale of those donated items helps to employ approximately 50 individuals in the counties of Scioto, Lawrence, Gallia, and Meigs Counties in Ohio and Greenup and Vanceburg Counties is Kentucky. Through the sale of donated items Goodwill is fullfilling its mission by providing individuals with full and part time employment. That in and of itself is a great thing that Goodwill provides for our community. Not only that, but certain donated items that are perhaps not in saleable condition are sent off to be recycled, thus savings millions of pounds of trash from being dumped into landfills. Many people are not aware of all of the good things that Goodwill provides for not only our community but any and all communities in which Goodwill stores operate in the United States and even internationally. So the next time you are shopping in the Portsmouth Goodwill store location think to yourself, "How much would I pay for this item if I bought it at a department store?" The answer is probably a significant amount more. Also think about what good you are doing by purchasing that item. You are contributing to quite a few individuals being provided an employment opportunity versus sitting at home and collecting a monthly check from the government. Goodwill is a wonderful organization and does wonderful things for the community. In today's society no one should expect to get anything for free, it's just not feasible. There is a price associated with everything. But it is very unfair to say that our Portsmouth Goodwill store is overpricing items when obviously it is not. Why attack an organization that does so much to give back to the communities in which we live in? And you shouldn't judge someone or somewhere without first knowing the history behind the individual or organization. Perhaps if people would research things more thoroughly they would gain a better understanding of the purpose of an organization and not be so quick to be so negatively judgemental. Just something to think about. Maybe the next time after knowing a bit of history, those high prices you are referring to, won't seem so high afterall. At least give it a thought.
I have asked myself that question of how much would I pay for this in the department store and I hbelieve I would be paying the same of less in some cases. I buy from the clearance racks and find the same $5.79 for a pair of jeans for my daughter at Gabrielle brother's in Hunnington. so don't tell me I am helping the community and "saving" money by shopping there. I am NOT!
knowitall

Marion, OH

#7 Apr 25, 2010
Goodwill is VERY overlypriced, I wouldn't so much say this if I believed that Goodwill was actually Helping the Handicapped!!! I know people without disabilities thats worked there for years and making very very little money! I do not believe Goodwill appreciates there workers at all. There was a former" truckdriver there that got special license to drive there trucks even out of state, Operate the 4clift, basically was a Jack of all trades and he was getting paid just a little over min. wage. His name was Bill. How is a man with a family" gonna pay his bills on that? This guy deserved alot more, He asked for a dollar raise after working there for about 2 years and they turned it down, He was the best worker there, He done it all! Should of been a manager if you ask my opinion and Im sure others would tell you the same as well. He never missed work or anything and they turned down his dollar raise. He also saved goodwill thousands of dollars a year I may add which to me that would be worth givin the man a dollar on the hour! Cant believe he was ONLY wanting one dollar on the hour actually Now I thaught Slavery days were over well not in Goodwills case!! And yes all this stuff is donated and this is to help people so why not help by paying the hard workers more??? I know they can afford to pay people more then what they do! Since I heard this story about this man I have been supporting Salvation Army because, I highly believe they actually appreciate the people that work for them and I do believe its actually for a great cause.
amused

Marion, OH

#8 Apr 25, 2010
A Goodwill Advocate wrote:
Goodwill is SUPPOSED to be a non profit organization! I fail to believe so!
Pahahaaa

United States

#9 Apr 25, 2010
Who cares. Try shopping at a real store. Poor assssssesss of Portsmouth. Hahaa. I mean atleast go to walmart or somethin. That's pathetic your complaing about goodwill. Tahahahaaaa
lawyer32

Milford, MA

#10 Apr 25, 2010
The pricing is NOT reasonable when you can buy the exact same thing NEW for less than what goodwill is selling it for.

I will not donate to goodwill because of this. I suggest everyone donate their clothing directly to the homeless or domestic violence shelter, instead.
Now

Marion, OH

#11 Apr 25, 2010
Pahahaaa wrote:
Who cares. Try shopping at a real store. Poor assssssesss of Portsmouth. Hahaa. I mean atleast go to walmart or somethin. That's pathetic your complaing about goodwill. Tahahahaaaa
I used to make $37.44 per hour. I had the same attitude you are displaying. God saw fit to rip that career right out from underneath my high and mighty heels. I now HAVE TO shop at thrift stores. Be careful what you say. God is always listening. Saying you don't believe in him or whatever doesn't change the fact you may eat your words someday. God IS listening.
HeidiKalb2000

Marion, OH

#12 Apr 25, 2010
Pahahaaa wrote:
I am an RN, My husband is as well. We love thrift store shopping and we also donate items back as well. My point is just because we thrift store shop does not mean we are poor.... We actually do this as a hobby. It is sort of liking finding treasures so dont judge the book by its cover. And as far as Goodwill goes we do not consider that as one of our second handstores we like to treasure hunt at because they are way overly priced. There has been items there that was the same price new at stores.
ha ha

Owingsville, KY

#13 Apr 25, 2010
i love thrift stores but last time i was at goodwill is the last time i will go way 2 expensive its yard sale time and you get better deals on clothing the goodwill is way to high these days im done
lawyer32

Milford, MA

#14 Apr 25, 2010
Pahahaaa wrote:
I choose to not spend my heard earned cash at a corrupt company such as walmart. If walmart is what you consider a "real" store, you need to get educated.
valleyview

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Apr 25, 2010
Walmart clothes suck!! Made in Hunduras, Viet Nam, China, etc. Material is so thin. I too like to treasure hunt. But I don't want to pay regular price for used stuff. How much money you make is not the issue here. I see all walks of life at Goodwill. Look at the cars in the lot. I see a lot of new and nearly new cars. I see more welfalers at Walmart than at Goodwill.
Tru

Marion, OH

#16 Apr 25, 2010
They are very high. it is pitiful.... all the items are given to them and then they charge high prices. yard sells are far better than this..they act like they are a department store.
God knows my name

Stephens City, VA

#17 Apr 25, 2010
My husband & I also love thrift store shopping-we go to the ones in Columbus-stuff is half the price of our goodwill-my fault with our goodwill is the knic-knacs & household pics are just haphazardly thrown around together-you might actually get someone to buy the pictures & stuff if it was organized so you could actually view it instead of rummaging through afraid you might break things-at least at the ones in Columbus they have the pictures setting so you can see what is on them. I won't buy clothes at goodwill-why should I when I can just watch clearace racks at good department stores & get new clothes for the price of used?????
Pahahaaa

Frisco, TX

#18 Apr 25, 2010
HeidiKalb2000 wrote:
<quoted text> I am an RN, My husband is as well. We love thrift store shopping and we also donate items back as well. My point is just because we thrift store shop does not mean we are poor.... We actually do this as a hobby. It is sort of liking finding treasures so dont judge the book by its cover. And as far as Goodwill goes we do not consider that as one of our second handstores we like to treasure hunt at because they are way overly priced. There has been items there that was the same price new at stores.
that's called hording. You should call that show and get help.
hellllooo

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Apr 26, 2010
Our Goodwill is one of the nicest and well stocked stores I have been in. I too believe that their prices need a second look. Not so much on the clothes but on household items, etc. The employees have always been very courteous to me and they all seem to work hard and do a good job.
Love thrift stores

AOL

#20 Apr 27, 2010
I agree, the Goodwill gets there stuff for free, and are so overly priced its unreal. I dont even go there anymore there prices are ridiculous!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legion by Courthouse 57 min Legionnaire 7
captain Ds 2 hr fact 30
My son got a black girl pregnant 2 hr white devil 61
Angie Szul took a dump on the floor 3 hr FOVR 3
We all know the best race god made 4 hr Angel 15
Biggest attention hoebag - Angie Szul or Kim Ka... 4 hr Angel 8
Cyber bullying should not be a crime. 5 hr JMO 22

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance