portsmouth fire dept. overtime sucks ...
Toobad

Laura, OH

#21 Dec 27, 2011
honest wrote:
If the City actually paid the Fire Dept what their worth then they would just have to be a VOLUNTEER Fire Dept! Bunch of lazy overpaid bums
Ease up airbag! Just because you didn't make the cut is no reason to insult the fire dept. You must have been sniffed out early and its just as well. If this is how you carry on then you have no business being a firefighter anywhere!
honest

United States

#22 Dec 27, 2011
You just don't want the public to know how the Fire Dept really works
honest

United States

#23 Dec 27, 2011
Oh yeah and let's not forget about a certin firemans family member that's on City Council !
Courage The Anonymous Dog

Laura, OH

#24 Dec 27, 2011
honest wrote:
Oh yeah and let's not forget about a certin firemans family member that's on City Council !
I bet you've never even been to a meeting. You probably don't even vote in local elections. You just want to cry, but have no resolve to actually seek change.
honest

United States

#25 Dec 27, 2011
Well that just shut ya up now didn't it. Wonder why ??
Lol

Marion, OH

#26 Dec 27, 2011
I think there is one person on here Changing their name and making response to their own posts. Lol. Get a life. Too funny!
Do The Math

Marion, OH

#27 Dec 27, 2011
If they work 24 on, 48 off, that is like working an 8 hour shift with two 8 hour shifts off, isn't it?

I personally would rather be safe than sorry. I don't think they do much during the non fire time, but they are available. They answer "i smell smoke calls," and "my cat is stuck in the tree" calls. Most are also active in the community raising money to help the needy.

I am sure there are some who call off all the time, but they should be dealt with individually. Don't punish everyone because one guy is a crappy worker. The crappy workers are everywhere unfortunately. Even fire depts
honest

United States

#28 Dec 27, 2011
Stop trying to cover your asses and tell everyone how much overtime you all et every payday. I encourage everyone to go to the City Auditors office and look for themselves. They can't lie their way out of what's right there in black and white ! They don't care that the City is going broke and in the process of cutting services. The only thing the Fire Dept cares about is taking all they can get and stuffing their pockets full. They don't care about the people of the city. Read the post. They call the citizens welfare trash ! If they really care and want to help the city then work three 8 hour shifts a day and cut out all the unnecessary overtime expense and their would still allways be fireman on duty.
FACT

United States

#29 Dec 27, 2011
I agree that the Fire Dept is where the cuts need to be made.
Loco

Marion, OH

#30 Dec 27, 2011
Didnt we just pass a new tax so they could keep their jobs?
honest

United States

#31 Dec 27, 2011
Loco wrote:
Didnt we just pass a new tax so they could keep their jobs?
Yes a tax was passed in order for city employees to keep their jobs. But as allways city council and the mayor has mislead everyone. Now their talking that they still don't have the funds they need so their going to cut services in the service Dept and public utilities. So while the citizens aren't getting the services that they are paying for because of lack of funds The Fire Dept will still be loading their pockets with unnessarry overtime cost being paid out. Fire Dept employees have family members on City Council to cover for them !! Why do you think this has gone on for so long ?!
FireFighters

Laura, OH

#32 Dec 27, 2011
I'm going to tell my friends about your little thread here, and you're really going to get it. Now, when we find out your welfare trash IP number, watch how quickly we respond.
Bet you wish you'd stayed quiet now, huh?

P.S.
Silver Spring, Please do not reply to yourself. It weakens the strength of your argument, and we can tell you're doing it.
FACT wrote:
I agree that the Fire Dept is where the cuts need to be made.
Hilltop rez

Marion, OH

#33 Dec 27, 2011
Gee. I WAS on your side, but now you are acting like a jerk. (BTW...I am not a welfarian. I am one of the hilltopers who voted to keep your job.)
honest

Ashland, KY

#34 Dec 27, 2011
That's the way the Fire Dept feel about the citizens of the city. They call us welfare trash. You boys at the Fire Dept must be scared that the citizens will figure out how you all scam the city.
honest

Ashland, KY

#35 Dec 27, 2011
And yes the cuts do need to be made at the Fire Dept !
new squad

Cleveland, OH

#36 Dec 27, 2011
The OT is gonna get even more out of hand sinceI they will be using the fireman for the new city ambulance they bought.
FireFighters

Laura, OH

#37 Dec 27, 2011
Hilltop rez wrote:
(BTW...I am not a welfarian. I am one of the hilltopers who voted to keep your job.)
Oh, thank you. You're probably the only one on Topix with a job though. It just seems like the ones that don't pay in anything always cry the loudest. They think everyone should be just like them, and not make a living. While they're sitting at home, taking our money, they want to spend all day being jealous and complaining about other people. Sorry, but that's just the way they are.
Anyways, I'm glad it wasn't you complaining, and being ungrateful. We help keep the city safe, with the help of working folk like you. Again, thanks for the vote!
honest

Ashland, KY

#38 Dec 27, 2011
I am a city employee myself ! Although I am not a fireman therefor I'm not stealing the city blind like the Fire Dept is. You people aren't the only ones with families to feed and bills to pay ! Yet the Fire Dept keeps taking more and more and more !! The Fire Dept should be cut just same as all other departments ! Your no better than anyone else.
non portsmouth resident

Hilliard, OH

#39 Dec 27, 2011
While it is true that the Portsmouth Fire Department does recieve overtime, their work structure and pay is no different than 90% of the Fire/EMS service in the country. They have been paid the same way for many years and I personally dont think this attack on the PFD is warranted. The reason that the city is going broke is the lack of planning due to poor management by the very people that all the complainers have elected over the years. Also, the fact that inflation has kicked into overdrive and everything has doubled in price over the last 5 years doesnt help either. I agree that there needs to be action, but blatently attacking 1 specific department is pitiful!!!!
non portsmouth resident

Hilliard, OH

#40 Dec 27, 2011
BTW, before anyone says anything about my name, I have lived in scioto county my whole life, I lived in portsmouth for 30 years before moving to the county. I pay portsmouth taxes on my payroll check. I only used the name because i dont live in portsmouth now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Specialized Counselors in Schools 49 min DrNo 15
President Trump berates the news media....again 52 min DrNo 32
People Of The Spirit 58 min DrNo 7
Best SOCF Warden is Donald Morgan 1 hr Old friend 20
Dialysis Clinic 17th st. (Jan '11) 5 hr people need to know 16
New weed dealer. 5 hr jkr 4
black & white 5 hr donavan 1
Judge Kegley Arrest 8 hr Chris 52

Portsmouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portsmouth Mortgages