Do NOT DONATE TOYS TO GOODWILL

Posted in the Portsmouth Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
OhNo

Fredericksburg, VA

#1 Nov 29, 2010
I was at Goodwill today and I asked where the toys were. THEY NO LONGER DEAL IN WITH TOYS! So PLEASE! PLEASE! Don't give them your old toys if you want them to be past on. You can give them to Salvation Army or Consumers Helping Consumers on 5th Street.
I don't have any more details. But people usually send their old Barbies and toy trucks to them for Christmas.
This is a fact. Doesn't matter why, please let people know DO NOT DONATE TOYS TO GOODWILL.
Noo

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Nov 30, 2010
I use to donate all the things I no longer needed to goodwill, but one day I saw a worker go through my stuff, pick out what she wanted, stuck it in the little room to the left when you walk in, then wheel the rest to the back. I don't think that is right. Now I either give it to the Veteran's place or churches. They probably take the Toys home for their kids!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3 Nov 30, 2010
Noo wrote:
I use to donate all the things I no longer needed to goodwill, but one day I saw a worker go through my stuff, pick out what she wanted, stuck it in the little room to the left when you walk in, then wheel the rest to the back. I don't think that is right. Now I either give it to the Veteran's place or churches. They probably take the Toys home for their kids!
So long as they pay for it, what's wrong with the employees getting first dibs?
icu

Glenolden, PA

#4 Nov 30, 2010
i had a friend who worked there and convinced me to donate all of the baby stuff that i was no longer needing...nice things - comforters, blankets, clothes, mobile, baby moniitors....thought it was a good idea bec i was sure someone would use it...a lady who worked there went through all of my things before turning them over to the handlers and took most of the baby stuff...my friend found out she was taking things home and having a yard sale...my friend quit and i never donated there again...i donate to the women's shelters, and the Salvation Army now....occasional church yard sales.
Yea right

Portsmouth, OH

#5 Nov 30, 2010
SouthPortsmouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think they are paying for them? I bet they take them right out to their cars and don't pay a dime. Either that, or they pay practically nothing then mark everything else up for the customers to make up for it. I just think the place is crooked.
friend

Dayton, OH

#6 Nov 30, 2010
SouthPortsmouth wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't pay. I had a friend who did his community service there... they took what they wanted when they were sorting it.
Never Again

Portsmouth, OH

#7 Nov 30, 2010
I will NEVER donate anything to them again. Their prices are way too high. I love it when I see something from the Dollar Tree and they have $1.89 on it. Really?? It is a shame since we are in such a poor area that they have become so unreasonable. The Goodwills in other towns are not like this. Who is in charge of this one? From now on I will donate to the Salvation Army or the Veterans.
personthatworked atgoodwil

Newark, OH

#8 Nov 30, 2010
your wrong the new rules at Goodwill are all items must be on the floor at least 48 hours before an employee can buy it and anyone that holds back items are fired
Ragdoll

Portsmouth, OH

#9 Nov 30, 2010
Has anyone noticed all the lights on in that place? Seems like a waste of electric. Of course the workers are going to get anything good. They probably take it home and sell it on eBay.
haha im smart

Warrenton, VA

#10 Dec 1, 2010
THAT PLACE NEEDS SHUT DOWN THEY HELP NOONE at allllllll.......... there prices are higher then walmart and as for helping the handicap get work there is like two workers in there one of which is meaner then a vipor
OhNo

United States

#11 Dec 1, 2010
THIS POST IS TO TELL PEOPLE THAT GOODWILL IS NOT SELLING TOYS! THEY ARE TRASHING THEM!!
IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU DONATE TO THEM! OR IF YOU SHOP THERE!!
IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF EMPLOYEES THERE GET FIRST PICK! WHY WOULD THEY NOT? THEY ARE THERE!!
DUH.
THE POINT IS TO LET PEOPLE KNOW DO NOT DONATE T O Y S!!
PEOPLE ARE STRAPPED PAYDAY TO PAYDAY! THEY WILL GO INTO GOODWILL EXPECTING TO PICK UP PRESENTS FOR CHILDREN! Maybe a Barbie, Barbie Accessories, GI Joes, Tonka Truck, Fisher Price Little People, Farm house, school house, Legos. Just think of a toy that meant something to you.
PEOPLE WITHOUT A LOT OF MONEY THAT WANT TO STOP AND PICK UP A PRESENT FOR THE LITTLE GIRL THAT LIVES NEXT DOOR THAT THEY KNOW WON'T GET ANYTHING. OR YOU WANT TO BUY SOMETHING EXTRA FOR YOUR CHILD BUT DON'T HAVE $25 TO GET IT FROM WALMART.
THIS POST IS TO LET PEOPLE KNOW ~ PLEASE PASS IT ON!!! DO NOT!! DO NOT GIVE TOYS TO GOODWILL THEY WILL BE TRASHED NOT SOLD!!!
PLEASE TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. SALVATION ARMY AND MANY OTHER PLACES WOULD BE THRILLED WITH THESE ITEMS THAT TAKE UP TO MUCH ROOM AT OUR FANCY GOODWILL.
PLEASE JUST LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT GOODWILL DOES NOT SELL TOYS.
It took awhile for it to sink in. My heart is devistated for the people that will be going in all the way up to Christmas Eve because they don't want to be empty handed.. And they would have done better going to Goodwill's dumpster than the front door.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#16 Dec 1, 2010
Yea right wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think they are paying for them?
How should I know? Like I said, IF they pay, what's the big deal?
Tired of the Nonsense

Sardinia, OH

#17 Dec 1, 2010
These posts are ridiculous. If anyone knows of an employee taking donations, why did they not report it to the executive director? Things have to be on the floor for 48 hours before employees or clients can purchase anything. I worked off my benefits there and didn't see any stealing at all. I did hear employee complaints about how they used to be able to buy salvage goods, but can't now because new management is strict. I heard employee complaints because they can't get away with that stuff anymore. Goodwill is a great place to buy things when you are living on a strict budget. The toys that came in had to be checked to see if any recalls were out about them, they had to be clean and in good working order. Some toys are passed on to the other stores in the district. You can't always see handicaps people. What about bipolar, learning disabilities and some physical problems that you can't see? If you have a problem with Goodwill, call the main office or call over a manager don't put this trash out here. Goodwill is one of the few places that gives people like me who are in bad times a place to work off benefits while I am in between jobs. Goodwill worked with my neighbor, who has severe handicaps, and found him a job. Just because you don't know what they do, doesn't mean they don't help people. The supervisor there told me they haven't laid anyone off in years so people who work there should be happy they have a job in this day and time. If you don't like the prices, don't shop there, but stop spreading trash that isn't true.
OhNo

United States

#18 Dec 1, 2010
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND LISTEN!!!!!
OUR GOODWILL IS NOT SELLING TOYS!!
DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN BUY TOYS AT OUR GOODWILL..
OUR GOODWILL DOES NOT 'HANDLE' TOYS!!
THAT'S WHAT THIS ABOUT!!!
PLEASE LET PEOPLE KNOW TO DONATE T O Y S TO OTHER PLACES IF THEY WANT A CHILD TO HAVE THEM!!
THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT T O Y S!
TOYS ARE VITAL THIS TIME OF YEAR!!! PLEASE READ AND LISTEN!!!
icu

Glenolden, PA

#19 Dec 1, 2010
sheesh, OhNo, take a breath...i understand your disappointment about the lack of toys at Goodwill, but it's not that big of a deal...some of us don't believe that TOYS are VITAL this time of year...but the thing is, i have three younger kids on my block that i buy for bec my older kids used to play with them (now my boys are in high school and don't hang out with anyone that's 12 years old..lol..i happens), but i still buy for those kids...but i would never go to Goodwill and get them a toy...there's no problem with heading to one of the 3 million dollar stores we have in the area and spending $5 a piece on them...nice, cheap toys, in their packages, brand new...if you had gone to Goodwill and tried to buy a toy (if they were selling any) that would be what you would pay there, too...for something used...so, i get your point, but to alot of us, it's not the end of the world...

i should clarify, too...when i posted earlier about the employee who took the baby things i donated, that happened years ago, so maybe they've started paying attention and cracked down on that kind of thing, but that one incident has kept me from donating again...sad to say, but that's the way it is...i'll continue to pass down to friends what i can, and what's left will go straight to homeless shelters where it's used and free so no one has to purchase anything, and if the shelters don't want it, then i'll donate it to the Salvation Army or a local church that's collecting for yardsales or just holiday giving.
wayne

Portsmouth, OH

#20 Dec 1, 2010
Goodwill is a rip off they sell furniture that should be thrown out dog stains ect
Noo

Portsmouth, OH

#21 Dec 1, 2010
Ok. You are so fired up about protecting goodwill, then what DO they do with the toys that are donated?

If I find out they are throwing them away, I am DONE donating things there.

I donate all my children's gently used items to goodwill rather than going through a consignment or yard sale. I will think twice now.
Blessed

Columbus, OH

#22 Dec 3, 2010
I am convinced that almost every institution involved with the multitude of needy people in this town is corrupt. No, just make that every institution or business period.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!!!

If the needy in this area ever have someone truely give a s#$t about them and lead them to the realization that they are the MAJORITY here, they might just vote all of the corrupt, overpriveleged, misguided members of the minority who run the place and the surrounding county out of their ivory towers and phoney-baloney jobs. The poor could not possibly screw things up any more than it already is.
OhNo

Miami, FL

#23 Dec 3, 2010
Our Goodwill has always been big on the dolls. Hundreds of dolls circulated through ~ a used doll and left as a show piece. It was a tradition there for many years.
I would say people that are familiar with the tradition still collect dolls to send to them.
I know of parents cleaning out toys preparing for new toys that Santa will be delivering. Last year's ignore toys.
They feel that they are doing an honorable thing.
Salvation Army would really appreciate it and Goodwill feels that it is a menace.
If people knew, they would give to Salvation Army.
Misty

Portsmouth, OH

#26 Dec 3, 2010
Donate the toys to the Veterans, just dont take your child with you if you have already dropped of a previous load, you will end up buying something back. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is freds pizza express hiring? 53 min This guy 8
steph Nukols 1 hr ceiltile9 1
Colony park 2 hr Been there 3
whats happening. in sciotoville 3 hr Liz 36
looking for som regular dudes to hook up with 3 hr Portsmouthmanlook... 8
Mandy conkel/buck 3 hr Real talk 1
Shawn Delong 3 hr Portsmouthmanlook... 2

Flood Watch for Scioto County was issued at March 03 at 8:50AM EST

Portsmouth Dating
Find my Match