SSU wants to close 3rd Street from Ga...

SSU wants to close 3rd Street from Gay to Waller. What is your opinion?

Created by City Resident on Jun 7, 2010

151 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES

NO

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
warner

United States

#1 Jun 7, 2010
We better think long and hard before we give up 3rd st.what then 4th,5th.PHS already took a bunch.Why don't we just give the whole downtown away. Everyone wants to take something.All this will do for Portsmouth is make more traffic problems.
Safety First

Marion, OH

#2 Jun 7, 2010
The cars do not speed on 3rd Street but they sure do on 4th. Speeding-running red lights. That would put much more traffic on 4th where there are dorms as well as the Elementary School.

I would worry more about emergency vehicles (fire trucks etc.) getting to those buildings if 3rd were closed off.

The SSU area is one of the nicer areas in town. Why shut it off to others who may just be interested in attending SSU once they see the campus. It's good advertisement.

Concerned citizen

Marion, OH

#3 Jun 7, 2010
Does any one know why? More dorms? Buildings? Parking lots?
Thought

Marion, OH

#4 Jun 7, 2010
I believe they are closing it to make it more safe for students to cross between the dorms and campus. Plus it would give them more room to expand!
warner

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Jun 7, 2010
Why doesn't SSU build two overhead walkways. Adults should be able to cross the street without a problem. Students need to use croswalks. We don't need to give away the whole city.
warner

Fredericksburg, VA

#6 Jun 7, 2010
3rd street is a main street going east + west. SSU needs to come up with another plan. This giving thing will never end.
Mel

United States

#7 Jun 7, 2010
warner wrote:
Why doesn't SSU build two overhead walkways. Adults should be able to cross the street without a problem. Students need to use croswalks. We don't need to give away the whole city.
I love the idea of the overhead walkways. That's what the bigger cities do and it would make that area even more interesting.
studentview

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 7, 2010
warner wrote:
3rd street is a main street going east + west. SSU needs to come up with another plan. This giving thing will never end.
Why would you want to automatically shut down the idea, SSU is one of few things in this area that is growing and developing? What are you really "giving" up, getting from the nasty east end to faltering business district? SSU could be one of the pieces to the puzzle of turning this city/community around. At least entertain some ideas or attempt to discuss options, and try to be postive about exspansion. Change is a hard thing to embrace but it only makes us better.
Walt Warner

Fredericksburg, VA

#9 Jun 7, 2010
ffWhy not,walkways overhead.SOMC did it from new parking garage.SSU could also build a parking garage. They could do this with land they already have .
Grad

Marion, OH

#10 Jun 7, 2010
Start building UP. You had a parking garage in your plans at one time. Build it now and use those parking lots to expand on. Keep the street open so that we parents can check on our "kids". Too many bars and alcohol available to the students in that area.

Close 3rd or 4th and you shut us out. No thanks!
Mel

United States

#11 Jun 7, 2010
studentview wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to automatically shut down the idea, SSU is one of few things in this area that is growing and developing? What are you really "giving" up, getting from the nasty east end to faltering business district? SSU could be one of the pieces to the puzzle of turning this city/community around. At least entertain some ideas or attempt to discuss options, and try to be postive about exspansion. Change is a hard thing to embrace but it only makes us better.
In earners defense, they did mention the idea of the overhead crosswalk. You don't like that idea? As an SSU alumni I thought it was rather creative and interesting. I would have liked having one when I was a student although I never felt any danger when crossing the street either.
Mel

United States

#12 Jun 7, 2010
Sorry "warners". Lol. Stupid iPhone auto corrects everything!
Walt Warner

Fredericksburg, VA

#13 Jun 7, 2010
SSU wants old clty building also,for a parking lot.Com e over new bridge to look down on a parking lot. I hope this doesn't happen.
sick ofyou

Marion, OH

#14 Jun 7, 2010
Walt Warner ,your a negative asshole..... you probably would like us all to keep riding in wagons, plowing fields with horses, and buying bread for 15Cents.Factory work is over for P-Town .let the University expand....oh.thats right your kind doesn't want anyone educated so we can flounder away here in the past..
Mel

United States

#15 Jun 7, 2010
Build a garage SSU. These buildings are what gives our city character. Im not talking about the uncared for delapitated houses but the historical older buildings. A parking garage in the lower parking lot (next to the UC would make perfect sense.
to sick of you

Marion, OH

#16 Jun 7, 2010
If case you haven't noticed our country and county is in a terrible economical situation. We all may "have" to go back to those "good old days". How many parents and students will have to put their education on hold because there is no money to send them to school? Open your eyes. We are losing jobs everywhere! What does SSU plan to put there? Basketball courts? Are there immediate plans for more educational buildings? I bet not.

You do not need to call people trashy names to get your point across. It makes you look ignorant.
to sick of you

Fredericksburg, VA

#17 Jun 7, 2010
Sounds like you are the asshole.Parking garage sounds good to me.I also think going up,not out would be a good thing.Gas keeps going up we'll all be using horse and wagons.
HET

Marion, OH

#18 Jun 7, 2010
KEEP 3RD STREET OPENED TO THRU TRAFFIC. What's the # of accidents and students getting hit on that street? Zero??????
Walt

Fredericksburg, VA

#19 Jun 7, 2010
HET wrote:
KEEP 3RD STREET OPENED TO THRU TRAFFIC. What's the # of accidents and students getting hit on that street? Zero??????
You'r right,adults know how to cross the street.I do think it's more about growing,not crossing the street.Everyone wants to see SSU grow.I'm just not sure they need to own 3rd street to do it.There are other options.
Seriously

Lucasville, OH

#20 Jun 7, 2010
As an alumnus of SSU, and a resident of the East End (Which is not all trashy people, thank you very much) I think that an overhead sidewalk would be a much better idea. I depend on 3rd and 4th streets for direct access to 23 and the West End. You students who are gung-ho for this probably do not have to commute to work from the city and have the luxury of being able to walk most places that you need to go. I think that Portsmouth and SSU should take a cue from Athens and Ohio University. Not all the roads are shut off through there and they have found a way to let new buildings and historical ones coexist. Parts of my family have lived in Scioto county and the Portsmouth area for generations and I think that it is very important to preserve the history and character of the town while still allowing growth and expansion. This doesn't have to be black or white.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hookers in new boston 1 hr Eww 29
Perry Mason & FOVR 1 hr FOVR 2
Queen Jane 2 hr May west 2
What is really wrong with SOMC emergency room? (Feb '10) 2 hr May west 599
BJs Towing on SR335 (DRUGS!) FAKE! 6 hr BJs son 9
Derrick Mills & Bo Fisher facing 50 years prison 6 hr BJs son 5
What's going on at Farley Square? (Apr '17) 12 hr Machine Gun 3

Portsmouth Jobs

Personal Finance

Portsmouth Mortgages