Elvis Brown Park
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
memories

Portland, TN

#1 Apr 21, 2011
Anyone upset with how this park is being run. Seems like whoever is President doesn't have a clue, Games were cancelled tonight and it didn't even rain today.Might want to look at restoring the history of being there for the kids thought they were on the right track, but things have changed would really like to know what happened.
kaydee

United States

#2 Apr 21, 2011
I personally love the park great enviroment &'d nice down to earth people there. <3 that park brings me such joy seeing all the kids playing there. I love the park (:
kaydee

United States

#3 Apr 21, 2011
&'d the reason games were probably cancelled is because three of the fields hold water on them after it rains.
abcd--123

United States

#4 Apr 21, 2011
memories wrote:
Anyone upset with how this park is being run. Seems like whoever is President doesn't have a clue, Games were cancelled tonight and it didn't even rain today.Might want to look at restoring the history of being there for the kids thought they were on the right track, but things have changed would really like to know what happened.
I know the president and he does a great job running the park and has turned it around for the good. If he and the board cancelled the games it was probably due to all the rains this week. I'm proud to have my children play there and if they found it to be to dangerous to play then I appreciate them cancelling instead of risking injury to the kids.
Glad I moved to Portland

Cottontown, TN

#5 Apr 24, 2011
I was at the feild this past week visiting my nephew as he played ball, whoever is the female coach of the youngins for the yellow team we were playing against, she needs attitude adjustment..BIG TIME!!Yelling at the kids to be quiet, pay attention and do what is told of them is just some of what I heard being thrown out of her mouth. Either her husband or boyfriend helps her coach, and he knows what we are saying, cause as soon as she turned her back he did the opposite of what she was barking. It is a game, hello it is baseball we are talking about 6 and 7 year olds, let me know when you are signing the multi million dollar contract for coaching, until then let the kids have fun, who cares if they are talking and playing, that is what they do, PLAY!!
Someones in trouble

Cottontown, TN

#6 Apr 25, 2011
Glad I moved to Portland wrote:
I was at the feild this past week visiting my nephew as he played ball, whoever is the female coach of the youngins for the yellow team we were playing against, she needs attitude adjustment..BIG TIME!!Yelling at the kids to be quiet, pay attention and do what is told of them is just some of what I heard being thrown out of her mouth. Either her husband or boyfriend helps her coach, and he knows what we are saying, cause as soon as she turned her back he did the opposite of what she was barking. It is a game, hello it is baseball we are talking about 6 and 7 year olds, let me know when you are signing the multi million dollar contract for coaching, until then let the kids have fun, who cares if they are talking and playing, that is what they do, PLAY!!
AGREE AGREE, they were yelling and playing and oh was she not happy! They need to do a mental test on the coach, not just a background check..
elvisbrownmom

Portland, TN

#7 Apr 25, 2011
I have been at this park for many years and my kids played here and other family, I have seen this park go up and down through out the years. I know alot of the great people that help keep this park going for these kids and I thank them very much. None knows how much has to been down to run a ballpark and how much times this folks really put into it. I know the coach you all are talking about, she really is a sweet lady she just a very competitive person, which I know she coaches 7-8 year olds but I give her alot of credit for coaching. I would complain too much unless you are willing to go out there and do it. The one thing this year about the park I do wish they would not be so quick to cancel games. Also I would like to know why it seems that not alot of the board knows about the girls???? When I asked the board member that gives out the schedules for the boys something about the girls tournament thing that is coming up she told me she didn't have alot of info to give me, that I need to talk to one of the girls coaches(which I found out is on the board also). I just wondered why not all the board knows about the boys and girls??? I'm not judging just asking. To me noone has the right to judge this coaches or board members until you have been in there shoes or have talked to them face to face about a problem you have. I ready to have a great ball season and to see my kids PLAY BALL!!!!!
If it wasn't for this park many kids would be left out and on the streets doing who knows what....Lets support this park for the KIDS not ourselves.
portlandmom

Cottontown, TN

#8 Apr 25, 2011
Guess What Elvisbrownmom, we are involved, we go up there support our kids and buy from the concession and we do help coach. The team the others are talking about is a little team, who actual coach is Paul Goad. Paul went to umpire another game, he was not there. I was and saw what the ohers are talking about, she is very rude, very angry person, to angry to be coaching 6 and 7 year olds, she needs to be with the girls so she can have something to be aggressive about, not on a feild with 6 and 7 year olds.
P goad

Portland, TN

#9 Apr 25, 2011
to answer some of the questions posted on here.
1 as for all the board knowing what girls vs boys are doing
We as a membership (not the board) decided this year to move the girls from little league to N.S.A girls softball. in the past parents complained that the boys got all the attention and the girls were left out, so we as a board followed what the park membership decided and elected 4 people to do nothing but run the girls side, Kristie is the head of the girls with the help of merlin, randy, robin they decided the draft the practice times the game times and so forth. that is why you may have got the answer you did about being told to ask one of these people they are doing a great job
2 as far as coaching of the lil pirates yes i am the head coach of them and summer and Ritchie are our ast.coaches paying attention on the field is very important not as much now as in the future we are trying to teach these wonderful kids about baseball and teaching them early just think if not tought to pay attention now when they get in the bigger leagues and a ball is hit and there looking up in space they may get hit whit a line drive and get hurt
3 alot of the board members have had to do more then one thing at the park due to lack of parent involvement i my self have 3 things i do at the park i am the board treasury, coach of a tball team and the umpire in chief for the whole park so if there's no umpires i have to do it, randy and merlin are both coaching 2 teams Jacky is president and has to coach a tball team boby is safety officer and a coach. we would love to have more help
4 for parents complaining about how the park is ran all i can say is if you feel that there are people on the board you do not think should be there you can join the Park membership and at the annual park meeting run/ or vote for who you feel should be on the board
please dont take the last comment i said as being harsh we (the board) are here for these kids we are not funded by the city or state all we have is what our sponsors pay and our parents bring into the park by way of concision stand and tournaments alot of the board are at the park from 4pm till 10 pm Monday to Thursday sat from 4 till 11/12 sat from 8am till 11 12 at night and all day Sunday we are volunteers any of us are avalabile at the park to help in any way to anwser any concern you have with a coach/park/or any problem your having at the park
**** note this is not a Elvis brown board commit this is my answer to questions posted here***
love it

Franklin, TN

#10 Apr 25, 2011
I have posted several comments on here regarding this park. My son played there for three years and he had a great time. Before we came to Portland he played little league in a different state. The park here is great! There are dedicated people who come back year after year and help out even if they don't have a child playing. If they didn't the park wouldn't be there because they sure dont get any help from the city which I have said before and will say again, is rediculous. As far as Smmer is concerned I know her and she is a great person. Some parents are over dramatic and get upset if any one says anything to their child. All I can say is my son can be challenging and when he is out on the field the coach is in charge , end of story. I have seen the same blah blah blah at the football field. So if you are that sensitive dont watch or have your child learn how to play golf. Kids at that age have a hard time focusing and they need to be reigned in. She probably had to raise her voice just so they could hear her it does get noisy out on the field but I know her well enough to know that she would never be ugly to a child. She put up with my son being silly all year last year and was very graceful about it. Anyway because no one says it enough, thankyou to all of the people who dedicate their time any energy to the park. Elvis Brown is looking down on you from heaven and he is smiling.
portlandmomma

United States

#11 Apr 25, 2011
I really can't believe you people are seriously on here complaining. Why don't you quit wasting your energy on this forum and go volunteer to help out! Obviously they are doing the best they can. I would rather my 5 year old get yelled at than get hit in the face with a ball! What other activity can your child do all summer that cost 35-40 dollars???
Jimmy Kirby

Portland, TN

#12 Apr 26, 2011
The condition of this ballpark is a disgrace....The attitudes of certain board members is even worse.I am an assistant coach of the 13-17 year old boys team,you know,Portlands future workforce,future fathers,husbands,and members of this community.A quote from a board member yesterday over our use of an EMPTY park for an "unscheduled" practice was as follows:"This is Elvis Brown Little Leage park,not Elvis Brown Sr. league park.The senior league team is NOTHING to this park,and the only reason they even HAVE a team is for Portlands delinquents to have a place to go"Remember everyone,the board accepted your money and solicited funds from a sponsor,WITHOUT telling you their position on this age group of boys.If the board member who made these ignorant statements is reading this,here is your chance to deny it publicly.
David Couch

Portland, TN

#13 Apr 26, 2011
Recently I attended a game at the same park in Portland Tn.These were the older boys whose coaches and parents appeared to be behind their young men 100%.I also noticed there was no announcing for a team of teenage ballplayers.There were grandparents present(including myself)who had to ask the score of the game since the scoreboard looked like it hadn't worked in ages.When we went to the park website we noticed there isn't even a place for feedback or public input ON the actual webpage.We also saw updated rosters,stats and other tidbits on EVERY team,player,and coach EXCEPT the older kids.Shame on you,Portland Tn........these are YOUNG MEN......the board at Elvis Brown could learn something from them were they not so backward.
abcd-123

United States

#14 Apr 26, 2011
The condition of the ballpark is not a disgrace it has come a long way over the years. I've been there with my child for years and I would not think of going anywhere else. I love the down home atmosphere of the park compared to the stuffiness of the other park in portland. No kid will be turned away at the little league park if u can't pay unlike dixie. And is not funded by the city it relys on concessions for this. So before you call it a disgrace because you are mad think about how you could maybe help the park that I and so many others love and apprciate instead of running it down. ITS ABOUT THE KIDS LEARNING AND HAVING FUN. There's a lot of people that need to remember this.
littleleaguepare nt

United States

#15 Apr 26, 2011
Jimmy Kirby wrote:
The condition of this ballpark is a disgrace....The attitudes of certain board members is even worse.I am an assistant coach of the 13-17 year old boys team,you know,Portlands future workforce,future fathers,husbands,and members of this community.A quote from a board member yesterday over our use of an EMPTY park for an "unscheduled" practice was as follows:"This is Elvis Brown Little Leage park,not Elvis Brown Sr. league park.The senior league team is NOTHING to this park,and the only reason they even HAVE a team is for Portlands delinquents to have a place to go"Remember everyone,the board accepted your money and solicited funds from a sponsor,WITHOUT telling you their position on this age group of boys.If the board member who made these ignorant statements is reading this,here is your chance to deny it publicly.
are you serious? Even if that is one of the board members exact words ill admit they don't need to have attitude but suck it up and get over it like an adult instead of getting on a website and running the park down. If it hurt your feelings that bad take it to the president like most grown ups would. I agree its about the kids having a place to play ball not you getting your feelings hurt.
Just Wondering

Washington, DC

#16 Apr 26, 2011
Meh...it's a sketchy park on a sketchy side of town. Not bad, just not as well kept as the Dixie parks over by Richland. On the other hand, the parents/spectators are always more entertaining...
i_ play_ at_ elvis_ park

United States

#17 Apr 26, 2011
Just Wondering wrote:
Meh...it's a sketchy park on a sketchy side of town. Not bad, just not as well kept as the Dixie parks over by Richland. On the other hand, the parents/spectators are always more entertaining...
the park has been here for about 50 years unlike dixie and it doesn't receive funds from the city unlike dixie. So I think the park is in pretty good shape considering that!
Kaitlyn Smith

United States

#18 Apr 26, 2011
I love this park. Everyone talks too each other there. The park pays for everything its self with consesions money. Maybe if the city would help out it would be a little nicer but they don't so I think it looks pretty dang good for being it doesn't get help like dixie. I never realized how much time adults had on there hands too sit around &'d talk trash ur not in high school anymore so face it. It makes u look immature. You talk about how kids are these days but yet when teens read this don't u think they will see how immature u adults are I mean maybe if we had more ppl (adults) trying too help out &'d saying it out loud too someone instead of sitting behind a computer screen like a little kid maybe there wouldn't be so many delenquents but yet we are suppose too look up too people that talk trash online. Ha immature much ?
Jimmy kirby

Portland, TN

#19 Apr 26, 2011
The reason for the post on Elvis Brown wasn't because anybodys feelings got hurt.Remember,these statements were made about our CHILDREN......(but most likely not YOURS)The teenage boys who's decks are already stacked AGAINST them because of WHERE they live,or because of their parents financial status.Remember,this is a forum for our community...you can pick and choose sides,even offer advice, but you may see this post in a different light if you were the parent or loved one of one of these kids who have been swept under the rug by a group of folks they should be supported by
littleleaguemom

United States

#20 Apr 26, 2011
Jimmy kirby wrote:
The reason for the post on Elvis Brown wasn't because anybodys feelings got hurt.Remember,these statements were made about our CHILDREN......(but most likely not YOURS)The teenage boys who's decks are already stacked AGAINST them because of WHERE they live,or because of their parents financial status.Remember,this is a forum for our community...you can pick and choose sides,even offer advice, but you may see this post in a different light if you were the parent or loved one of one of these kids who have been swept under the rug by a group of folks they should be supported by
as a matter of fact I am very involved with that age group thank you and have been for years. And I don't think they need their coach on here bashing the place they spend their time playing baseball. And yes it is about your feelings getting hurt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
unipres (Apr '13) 1 hr whoa 17
she's hot 1 hr Boner 7
Portland policeman costing you tax money 1 hr Your full of shi_ 13
Drakewood market 17 hr Hotabouther 5
Portland east middle school Thu Papa 5
Mold at McDonalds Thu mdssucks 2
Kayla Cornell PHS?????? (Apr '11) Aug 24 Sexaddict 18

Portland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance