Portland (Cares)?
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
StrawberryFields

Mcewen, TN

#1 Jul 31, 2011
I have a sister who found out last week a dear friend of hers has a terminal illness. She hadn't been in contact with him for a long time then received a phone call from the VA Hospital that he was there and has less then 6 months to live and was homeless. She took him in so he would go with some dignity when his time comes and not on the streets somewhere. This man is a Veteran, served his country for all of us. He had no clothes but what he was wearing. She called Portland Cares and asked if they would donate some clothes for him and they WOULD NOT give him anything! Giving this man clothes is the least they could have done. I truly hope people will quit giving them anything. Instead, give it to someone who really needs it. Would like to read others opinions on this.
Deacon Truth

Portland, TN

#2 Jul 31, 2011
Why take him out of the VA if she couldn't pony up a few bucks for PJ's from the dollar store?
StrawberryFields

Mcewen, TN

#3 Jul 31, 2011
DEACON TRUTH: He shouldn't been left at the VA if she had to bring him out naked! And believe me she's doing plenty more than anyone else stepped up to do. There is no excuse for what (PORTLAND CARES) done.
infogirl

Cottontown, TN

#4 Jul 31, 2011
What was their reason that they couldn't help
infogirl

Cottontown, TN

#5 Jul 31, 2011
join freecycle at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortlandTNFreec...
and ask for him some clothes. Post his sizes and what he needs. Someone will probably have them.
amk

Hendersonville, NC

#6 Jul 31, 2011
That's really sad! That's why people donate their belongings to cares, to give what seems useless or not needed anymore, to someone who needs or finds it useful! Shame! Shame!
StrawberryFields

Mcewen, TN

#7 Jul 31, 2011
Thanks for the information infogirl its greatly appreciated. Whoever answered the phone there told her they wasn't in the business of giving away clothes. When she asked to speak to Mrs. Martin she was told it would do no good because they were told by her not to give any clothes away. My sister has since bought him some clothes. I just can't believe such heartless people operate cares.
Evil

Franklin, KY

#8 Jul 31, 2011
StrawberryFields wrote:
I have a sister who found out last week a dear friend of hers has a terminal illness. She hadn't been in contact with him for a long time then received a phone call from the VA Hospital that he was there and has less then 6 months to live and was homeless. She took him in so he would go with some dignity when his time comes and not on the streets somewhere. This man is a Veteran, served his country for all of us. He had no clothes but what he was wearing. She called Portland Cares and asked if they would donate some clothes for him and they WOULD NOT give him anything! Giving this man clothes is the least they could have done. I truly hope people will quit giving them anything. Instead, give it to someone who really needs it. Would like to read others opinions on this.
What else does he need? What size clothes? If I have anything I'll help.
sad

Smyrna, TN

#9 Aug 2, 2011
Sounds like they need to change the name from cares or get new workers and someone else to run it,If the people there feel that way about it.People donate that stuff, It is sad that they can't give a dying man some clothes,I thought that is what they was suppose to do help people.And to Strawberry Field your sister has done a wonderful thing,God bless you both for trying to help this man,And to Deacon Truth your comment was just ugly and cold blooded,
Agree

Smyrna, TN

#10 Aug 2, 2011
Strawberry Field if that man needs anything else post it on topix.I am sure that there is people willing to help,That was just wrong of Cares to do that,I want be donating anything out there if that is the way they are.God Bless you all.
Resident Evil

Franklin, KY

#11 Aug 3, 2011
Portland Cares. About themselves.
justme

Franklin, KY

#12 Aug 3, 2011
I agree they are very rude at the portland cares!! I have been in there a few times and the workers arent helpful and the openly talk about people in there. They should get all new workers!!
SumnerSays

Hendersonville, TN

#13 Aug 3, 2011
WHAT EVER!

One dude doesn't get a few free PJ's, and we're supposed to shut the place down.

They've helped THOUSANDS of moms/kids, and other people in need, and we're supposed to quit giving because some chick CALLED AND ASKED ABOUT GETTING FREE STUFF????

Why didn't she go up there with a buck or 2 to see what she could get for next to free??

Sounds like a stupid, lazy, whiner to me. Probably brought the dude home to get part of his check.

If you all would all go get jobs, then you could afford a few pairs of clothes.
Really

Greenbrier, TN

#14 Aug 3, 2011
and that's why they need new employees!!....no compassion
Just me

United States

#15 Aug 3, 2011
I also tried to ge help for my mother once and was denied. She worked her whole life and nvr lived off welfare. All she needed was a wheelchair.
I work at a shop in Portland. We have a clothes closet that we have told most churches about and some teachers. I would be proud and honored to donate anything I can to any vetrern or truly any being in need. If you still need stuff just reply back.
Just me 2

United States

#16 Aug 3, 2011
I didnt read all the post ad realied after posting tha just me name was used. Sorry..
Its not just oneman needing pjs. There has been alot of elderly in this community that have been denied. Walk into Gallatin cares and look at what the have in the store. Then look at portland.
FOR YOUR INFO

Gallatin, TN

#17 Aug 7, 2011
sad wrote:
Sounds like they need to change the name from cares or get new workers and someone else to run it,If the people there feel that way about it.People donate that stuff, It is sad that they can't give a dying man some clothes,I thought that is what they was suppose to do help people.And to Strawberry Field your sister has done a wonderful thing,God bless you both for trying to help this man,And to Deacon Truth your comment was just ugly and cold blooded,
Portland Cares is managed by a board not the employees so if you have a problem don't belittle them know the guideline set forth by the board. thank you.
Peanut

Cottontown, TN

#18 Aug 7, 2011
I used to go into Cares on the average of once a week. But the last couple of times I was in there the place was a mess and there was an unpleasant order and all they had to buy was junk. I have stopped going and I have noticed when I drive by there is not that many cars in the parking lot.
Bored

Rock Hill, SC

#19 Aug 8, 2011
There's nothing in there but junk cause the workers are able to go through it
MrsDeVille

Portland, TN

#20 Aug 8, 2011
I know several people who have donated nice household furnishings and almost new clothing so they can get tax write offs, I for one donated a new stove, I wanted something different, nothing wrong with it. Now I wonder if I need to tell my friends to take their barely used designer clothing to White House. They seems to help a lot of people there. I guess the employees are very well dressed at Portland Cares. This situation needs to be addressed by the proper authorities. So sorry about your friend in need, list things needed on here and I think you will see there are some good folks in Portland that will help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amanda Jones 2 hr Another nurse 1
JW Wiseman 1st Grade Teacher 11 hr Confused Collins 11
kid wit mohawk 22 hr sup? 4
OG Pep Talk Mon Don FEDucci 2
thomas and betts Mon joyce 3
traci snow! Sun Don FEDucci 2
Als' Auto Mart (May '11) May 31 bobb 19
More from around the web

Portland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE