rejected

No one came to voice their concerns during the public hearing on the proposed school budget; instead voters took to the polls Tuesday and voted down the 2010-2011 proposed budget for the Fredonia Central School District.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Skippy

Hume, NY

#21 May 20, 2010
truth wrote:
<quoted text>You had better go back to school, the contracts have so many steps until they reach top pay, on top of those steps are agreed upon percentage raise also, which could be different each year, I do know how contracts go, certain people just do not want you to know that they get 2 raises every year, a step plus the contractual percentage. Are you that thick headed that you can't understand this, or are you a teacher who does not want the public to know this!
The contracts have a total % increase for the duration that is split up evenly amongst the steps. You are arguing with someone who KNOWS this. You should stop before you make yourself sound even more silly.
Ridiculous

Fredonia, NY

#22 May 20, 2010
Can we talk about the budget line items? Teacher pay is what it is. You will not change that before the new budget proposal.

I disagree about the carpeting. You don't see it in many commerical buildings due to its high install cost and high maintenance cost. In a geo location that gets abundant of snow and wetness, it was an idiotic choice to begin with. now that it needs to be replaced, the cost of tile WILL BE LESS. That's just one example of spending someone else's money. The music program does not benefit all the children. Offer a general class and cut the lessons. There is no music performance requirement or test. It's fat. We can't afford it. Let the muscial families pay themselve just like I have to for my child whose interests are not supported by the school. Many of us pay a lot for karate, dance, hockey horsebackriding and many other desirable activities that make a well-rounded individual and are not offered by the school. Why the preference for music? And don't get me started on football. There's a great community program for that too.
truth

Fredonia, NY

#23 May 20, 2010
Skippy wrote:
<quoted text>
The contracts have a total % increase for the duration that is split up evenly amongst the steps. You are arguing with someone who KNOWS this. You should stop before you make yourself sound even more silly.
You are hardheaded, the percentage gets added to the step which in itself is a double raise, you get the step plus the percent also, I do know contracts also and was on the negotiation committee , I was in one with steps and annual percent increases. The steps are there regardless of the percent increase, if there was no percent increase, they would still get the step, which is an increase in pay.
ummm

Westfield, NY

#24 May 20, 2010
simple solution.. Fire all teachers and offer to rehire them at step 1.
Skippy

Buffalo, NY

#25 May 20, 2010
truth wrote:
<quoted text>You are hardheaded, the percentage gets added to the step which in itself is a double raise, you get the step plus the percent also, I do know contracts also and was on the negotiation committee , I was in one with steps and annual percent increases. The steps are there regardless of the percent increase, if there was no percent increase, they would still get the step, which is an increase in pay.
You're an idiot. The step is the % increase. There is no double raise. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. I'm done with this thread. You believe what you believe regardless of the facts. Have fun living in ignorance.
Fredonia Taxpayer

Fredonia, NY

#26 May 20, 2010
Question: Why is Fredonia's school tax increase so much higher than other schools in the state? About teacher's pay, some deserve it but many don't. Truth is we just can't afford these high taxes. It is making people move.
truth

Fredonia, NY

#28 May 20, 2010
Skippy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. The step is the % increase. There is no double raise. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. I'm done with this thread. You believe what you believe regardless of the facts. Have fun living in ignorance.
Complete jacka** you are In the contract, you have X number of steps to reach top pay say even 10 steps to reach top pay step 1 is $35,000, step 10 is $85,000, separate from the steps is a negotiated % increase each year, usually about 3-4%, so what ever step your at in your climb to top pay goes up that negotiated % for that year, so next year you go to step 2 plus the union negotiated a 4% raise also, thats added to the step, its a double raise, you clearly do not know how a step system works in a contract. Its a scam by unions to increase the pay more. By the time you reach step 10, its no longer $85,000, but more based on the negotiated % raise each year! Your head is clearly stuck where the sun does not shine! Anybody else here understand how the step system works along with the % raise?
PeopleAreFunny

Fredonia, NY

#29 May 20, 2010
People. Let's stick to the topic. 9% increase is not acceptable. Getting rid of the unions is another challenge.

What do you want to do about this? Who will tell them in person this is wrong and they have to stop the madness?
truth

Fredonia, NY

#30 May 20, 2010
larger class sizes, and cut more teachers! No more raises, top pay is more than high enough. Coaches should coach for the joy and fun of it and not for pay. Parents pay for uniform costs in sports, then the kids keep them (Varsity Football does this already with the jerseys) Turn the HEAT down in the building, you ever been in there, its like an oven. Lower the rent a little to use the facilities, then more groups would rent it, and make more money in long run, not many use the school because of rent price. Did I say turn the heat down! Tuition students, state pays $6,900 for each student plus money from parents for tuition students, good chunk of change (forget handicapped, there have been no handicapped tuition students in the past). Try do do more in house with students that go to BOCES(BOCES is raping the school districts), hiring a teacher and some aides would be a lot cheapen that sending the students to BOCES. BOCES charges $28,000 just for an aide, Fredonia aides make only 10-12 thousand a year. Just some ideas!
zzz

Lancaster, NY

#31 May 28, 2010
I haven't looked over the budget, but I bet a lot of it is completely unnecessary spending. If I'm right, its probably because of the incompetency of the administration, not so much the teachers. There are 2 parties in the negotiations. Its just that the administration gets their jobs because of who they know or what school they went to with little or no real world experience. To them its just random numbers on a spreadsheet; the money means nothing to them.
had it

Dunkirk, NY

#32 May 28, 2010
If you want to cut pay and benefits and take a hard line with the teacher's union its not that difficult. First as teachers retire you don't replace them unless totally necessary. If you do hire a new teacher as BOE members you work them 3 years and let them go, no tenure. You keep turning over teachers and would have a top pay grade of around $40,000. At the end of 3 years you start over again with a first year teacher at $30,000. After about 10 years of that type of working relationship the teacher's union would be broke. It is also a fact that the BOE DOES NOT HAVE TO GIVE A REASON TO REJECT TENURE. Therefore, a school district can get rid of them just for the sake of not wanting to pay them higher wages, they just don't have to say that. Also the supply of teachers in the future is going to be high, therefore, its a dog eat dog workplace. And remember when you get rid of a 3 year teacher you can pick up another 3 year teacher who was rejected tenure at another school, so your getting an experienced teacher who has to start at the bottom and face tenure again. It a easy fix and a clear way to bust the teacher's union. Its just up to the local BOEs to have some balls and do it.
had it

Dunkirk, NY

#33 May 28, 2010
And if teachers don't like it get a new career and a real 5 day a week, 40 hour, 52 week a year job.
Buddy Buddy

Fredonia, NY

#34 May 28, 2010
had it wrote:
And if teachers don't like it get a new career and a real 5 day a week, 40 hour, 52 week a year job.
Finally a post that we can truly consider... Only problem......most school board members are teachers or married to them....
Skippy

Fredonia, NY

#35 May 29, 2010
And then what do you do when you can't get any teachers worth a damn to come work at your school, test scores go down, the district is no longer a desireable one, and people move and shrink the tax base even more?
SillyLady

Westfield, NY

#36 May 29, 2010
You people are so funny. I am married to a former teacher and it took forever to get to the last step and some decent money. That takes years. I wouldn't be surprised in years to come if there aren't any male teachers left in the profession. It really hurts to read all the negitive comments you all have about the teachers in our district. But I can tell you one thing. Their are many students that do appreciate some of the teachers and tell them so many years after graduating how they affected their lives. My feelings on alot of this is that some parents should pay more attention to whats going on in their childrens lives and spend some time teaching their kids manners.....Then, teachers can get on with their job of teaching....and not wasting time with rude kids.
Traveling Man

Fredonia, NY

#37 May 29, 2010
why should teachers be exempt from making concessions? Most of us have had to recently thanks to the lousy economy and most of are not making the salries of teachers nor do we get their benefits. We are dam lucky if we get any at all. And please dont come back with the fact that "I could have been a teacher." Maybe not all of us have those abilities or the money(college) or the intelligence to do the job. God gave us all speacial gifts different from 1 another. If everyone were to be a teacher there wouldnt be anyone doing the menial jobs that are also necessary in this world. Trust me i think most agree that teachers are paid very well and never have to worry about working holidays, summers or the graveyard shift.. Must be nice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two part-timers will go full-time Jan. 4 44 min good 16
Blonde in Fredonia by 1 Temple Square 2 hr BeSafe 11
Panty shot 2 hr OhWow 10
p&g foods 2 hr NoWay 17
Alex micro penis mancuso 19 hr Ok so 4
could it be yolanda bindics or lori bova? (Sep '06) Wed friend of family 328
Faithful Followers (Apr '14) Wed response FC demon... 100
Portland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web