Brand New Moutain Bike Stolen Right i...

Brand New Moutain Bike Stolen Right in front of my garage today.

Posted in the Portland Forum

Bill

Bolivar, NY

#1 Jul 15, 2011
Very safe Fredonia street near college. Grew up here my whole life and never had a home theft until today. Fredonia police tell me this is becoming very common here. There was a garage sale going up the street, so it may be connected to that traffic. Any one see it let me know. Very distinctive looking (Not your typical Walmart color or look) Its a SATIN COPPER COLOR with large black tires and a larger frame.
Bill

Bolivar, NY

#2 Jul 15, 2011
I will throw in a 150.00 dollar reward for information leading to the successful recovery of this Bike. I should add the bike has JEEP in large letters written on the diagonal bar. It has to be the most distinctive looking mountain bike in the area. BRIGHT SATIN COPPER COLOR with large black tires and a larger frame. Either write back to me here or call the Fredonia Police.
A shame

Fredonia, NY

#3 Jul 15, 2011
Heard there have been a lot of vehicle and house break ins in the area too. Will keep my eyes open, and good luck!
ABC

Youngstown, NY

#4 Jul 15, 2011
Sorry to hear that you were robbed. Good luck on the return of the bike. Unless some parent really questions where a "new" bike came from,( if it was a kid) it's probably already been repainted and the serial numbers removed. Cruise the playgrounds and Russel Joy Park--ya never know...Maybe you will get lucky like the lady with the wagon in Dunkirk did.
Try this

United States

#5 Jul 16, 2011
I saw the signs for the sales so I have an idea where this is. There are lots of people with "issues" that have been moving into certain parts of that street (you know where I mean I bet.) Try looking around those specific yards. Also consider calling Dunkirk Police to see if they've come across it. Maybe someone saw it as a ride home in that direction. Years ago I used to go to the police bike auction in Dunkirk and there were a lot of unclaimed bkes.
info

Sheridan, NY

#6 Jul 16, 2011
I would definitely keep my eyes on the Pawn Shop by Roberts Rd. and 20. Many people sell him stuff for cash. He re-sells it. How would he know where it came from? I wouldn't confront the guy. Just walk through shopping. If you see it, go to the police. I hope you did a police report.
Bill

Bolivar, NY

#7 Jul 17, 2011
Try this wrote:
I saw the signs for the sales so I have an idea where this is. There are lots of people with "issues" that have been moving into certain parts of that street (you know where I mean I bet.) Try looking around those specific yards. Also consider calling Dunkirk Police to see if they've come across it. Maybe someone saw it as a ride home in that direction. Years ago I used to go to the police bike auction in Dunkirk and there were a lot of unclaimed bkes.
It's hard to accept that there is growing undesirable element in Fredonia. I tell people everyday that this is the case, so I guess I am a victim of not taking my own advice. Fifty years and never a theft at our residence until the other day. As you say, it should be no surprise. I also think the local paper is not really reporting on the the extent of residential break ins in Fredonia, so people who are used to the old Fredonia could be very complacent in their possessions. Fredonians can be in denial all they want, but it will not change the reality that this town is undergoing a demographic change.
ABC

Youngstown, NY

#8 Jul 17, 2011
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to accept that there is growing undesirable element in Fredonia. I tell people everyday that this is the case, so I guess I am a victim of not taking my own advice. Fifty years and never a theft at our residence until the other day. As you say, it should be no surprise. I also think the local paper is not really reporting on the the extent of residential break ins in Fredonia, so people who are used to the old Fredonia could be very complacent in their possessions. Fredonians can be in denial all they want, but it will not change the reality that this town is undergoing a demographic change.
Sad, but the change is ALL OVER. Here in Dunkirk you can see the changes in some of the neighborhoods where only 3-5 years ago, were still "good" or "safe" neighborhoods. Fredonia is no different. Many neighborhoods were once nice, well maintained, and safe, but now they really bring the Village down. It really is not any one race or group of people, it's an affect of hard-times and growing low-economic population. This also includes the college population. Just as you talk about people who are used to the "old Fredonia", there are people that remember the "old Dunkirk, Brocton, Westfield, Silver Creek,..." While it is rare for any community to not have any crime, if you look at those that are low, there is a huge sense of community pride, unity, and deep practice in VALUES.

Again, sorry that you had to be violated by having someone steel from you.
Bill

Bolivar, NY

#9 Jul 17, 2011
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>Sad, but the change is ALL OVER. Here in Dunkirk you can see the changes in some of the neighborhoods where only 3-5 years ago, were still "good" or "safe" neighborhoods. Fredonia is no different. Many neighborhoods were once nice, well maintained, and safe, but now they really bring the Village down. It really is not any one race or group of people, it's an affect of hard-times and growing low-economic population. This also includes the college population. Just as you talk about people who are used to the "old Fredonia", there are people that remember the "old Dunkirk, Brocton, Westfield, Silver Creek,..." While it is rare for any community to not have any crime, if you look at those that are low, there is a huge sense of community pride, unity, and deep practice in VALUES.
Again, sorry that you had to be violated by having someone steel from you.
Yes, it is purely economics that is driving Fredonia's decline. Fredonia always gloated as they watched Dunkirk's decline over the years thinking that it would never reach their boundaries, but now a new era is here. There simply is not enough "equivalent" families moving into the area to replace the old established homesteads that are vacating due to retirement or death. Their kids moved away a long time ago and these properties are sold to profit motivated landlords. Great deal for the landlords but a total different picture for the village. I laugh when people tell me that Fredonia will stave off urban blight because of the college. I hate to tell them that many of the oldest and prestigious universities are now located in total gutted out slums that were once some of the most wealthiest towns. The great demographic change is now underway in Fredonia. You have to be blind (figuratively) not to see it.
hat

Fredonia, NY

#10 Jul 17, 2011
I think I am glad someone stole your bike. So negative.
A shame

Fredonia, NY

#11 Jul 17, 2011
Check ebay and Craigs list too because you never know.

Since: Jul 11

United States

#12 Jul 19, 2011
Negative? They are just stating the truth.
ABC

Youngstown, NY

#13 Jul 19, 2011
hmmm very interesting wrote:
Negative? They are just stating the truth.
Agree
joey

Fredonia, NY

#14 Apr 30, 2013
I saw that bike today but a young kid was riding it near the bank but the bike was all hooked up with different aaccessories
Jay

Horseheads, NY

#15 May 12, 2013
Happened to me, probably very similar area. Expensive blue Schwinn, recently tuned up and in mint condition. Someone smashed the lock and stole it... police wouldn't even take a report
Bill

Fredonia, NY

#16 May 12, 2013
Well i figured mine got stolen , so i like yours so i took it.I really don't like it because the seat rams up my butt and the bell sounds different than mine,my bell is like "ding ding"
jose de la quasta

Fredonia, NY

#17 May 12, 2013
I have a bell that u will really like it sounds like a dong dong dong dong dong
Tom

United States

#18 Apr 6, 2014
I knew this would come up on topix,I was 2 of my friends , we r college students and there is no way the fredonia cops can prove any thing cause we took the bike to a pawn shop in buff along with the crap load of other stuff we have jacked , we need $$ for beer and pot.we do this every year

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maureen peterson (mcgraw) 1 hr Chataquacaretaker 1
News Why this small Upstate NY town rallied to try t... 2 hr CFO 7
Local Attorney under Federal Surveillance 4 hr Lou 5
A-cab,seriously? 11 hr lisa 3
How would you feel? 11 hr Zak 20
Brianna Jaynes (Oct '16) 12 hr Alliknow 15
Who's the biggest Sluts of the Area? (Jan '17) 12 hr Miata Fan 13

Portland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance