3)Dan Wolf
4)Joe Rutchko (sp?)
5)Jett Thomas
6)Dave Criscione (sp?)
7)Ray Penta
Heron Clan

United States

#2 Mar 15, 2009
post this crap in Dunkirk's forum!! this is for Silver Creek!!!!!
ElCaribe

Houston, TX

#3 Mar 15, 2009
My screen title reads "Dunkirk Forum". Am I missing something?

Also #7 should read Ray PIENTA
Hmmmmmmmm

Roselle Park, NJ

#4 Mar 16, 2009
Boots Wolfe, yeah. Jet Thomas? He ran track, played great b-ball, and tried football. I wouldn't say the best. You have to have football. Look at Rich Hofer... Very good to be sure, but he didn't play football. What about Mike Balzer? He should be up there. Ricky Donaldson? You bet.
Better yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#5 Mar 16, 2009
Best athletes to attend local schools.
Don Kuligowski CMHS, Mike Heary FHS, Bob Wallace, FHS, Graf, Crsicone, Wolfe, Carter from Silver Creek, Mike Balzer I say. Only a couple to the pros: Graf,Criscone, Carter, Donaldson (I think...)
Just Wonder

Buffalo, NY

#6 Mar 16, 2009
Did you forget Robert Nalepa who just broke the all-time school record in basketball and is the only male to reach 1000 points. I think he should be added to this list.
Heron Clan

United States

#7 Mar 16, 2009
ElCaribe wrote:
My screen title reads "Dunkirk Forum". Am I missing something?
Also #7 should read Ray PIENTA
mine reads Silver Creek
Interesting in Dunkirk

United States

#8 Mar 16, 2009
Dan Wolfe football,baseball,basketball,t rack
Dave Criscione football, baseball, basketball,track
Don Kuligowski football, basketball,baseball
Gerald Butch Wallace football,basketball,baseball, track
Joe Rutkowski Football,baseball,basketball,t rack
Kevin Schindler football,baseball,basketball,t rack
John Kirst football,baseball,basketball,t rack
How can you put anyone on this list who only played one sport... this list is a group who were very good in all these sports... I'm sure there are a number of guys before them who have done the same...go back to the 1940s 1950s and check out a list of names
Ray Pienta..What the F@#$ is wrong with you !!!
Rich Overturf 3 sports

better yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#9 Mar 17, 2009
Interesting in Dunkirk wrote:
Dan Wolfe football,baseball,basketball,t rack
Dave Criscione football, baseball, basketball,track
Don Kuligowski football, basketball,baseball
Gerald Butch Wallace football,basketball,baseball, track
Joe Rutkowski Football,baseball,basketball,t rack
Kevin Schindler football,baseball,basketball,t rack
John Kirst football,baseball,basketball,t rack
How can you put anyone on this list who only played one sport... this list is a group who were very good in all these sports... I'm sure there are a number of guys before them who have done the same...go back to the 1940s 1950s and check out a list of names
Ray Pienta..What the F@#$ is wrong with you !!!
Rich Overturf 3 sports
Remmber Richy running for the Rams? You must be a CMHS guy;
better yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#10 Mar 17, 2009
John Kirst didn't play basketball...
best yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#11 Mar 17, 2009
Best basket ball team local:

Center: Larry Erick
Forward: Heary (Could've played any position)
Forward: Tom Krystofiak
Guard: Jesse Thomas
Guard: Don Kuligowski (defensive wonder)
Texas Marauder

Houston, TX

#12 Mar 17, 2009
How did this turn into a Mindszenty fest? The original post says "Dunkirk history." No prob with the CMHS guys from Dunkirk or even Fredonia, but forget the Gowanda fellas, alright?

A best BB team without Lewis Mack? Come on now!

Dave Graf also played basketball, was a record holding swimmer, and a winning long jumper in HS, 3 year starter at Penn State (when freshman couldn't even play on the varisty), followed by an NFL career that was long enough to get him an NFL pension.

Rich Overturf? Super nice guy and awesome in Midget League but didn't even play football in HS. Thank you Dan Newman - another kid you beat the love of football out of.

Tom Krystofiak? Again, another super nice guy but only played basketball and really was only heard of in HS. Not much from Canisius (which isn't a BB powerhouse, BTW).

Lastly, don't overlook Ray Pienta. Football, volleyball, and track in HS followed by a long career as a softball pitcher. Which leads me the question - why is he not in the WNY Softball Hall of Fame? What are the criteria for entry? Does anyone know?
best yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#13 Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I played for Dan Newman. Remember Gould; the sadistic assist coach?

No, this ain't a CMHS thread; juust thinkin' though.
a-z-a

Fredonia, NY

#14 Mar 18, 2009
better yet wrote:
John Kirst didn't play basketball...
Yes He did
best yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#15 May 4, 2009
a-z-a wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes He did
I remember when Kirest got knocked out against Walsh...
best yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#16 May 4, 2009
a-z-a wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes He did
I remember when Kirst got knocked out against Walsh...
best yet

Roselle Park, NJ

#17 May 4, 2009
Texas Marauder wrote:
How did this turn into a Mindszenty fest? The original post says "Dunkirk history." No prob with the CMHS guys from Dunkirk or even Fredonia, but forget the Gowanda fellas, alright?
A best BB team without Lewis Mack? Come on now!
Dave Graf also played basketball, was a record holding swimmer, and a winning long jumper in HS, 3 year starter at Penn State (when freshman couldn't even play on the varisty), followed by an NFL career that was long enough to get him an NFL pension.
Rich Overturf? Super nice guy and awesome in Midget League but didn't even play football in HS. Thank you Dan Newman - another kid you beat the love of football out of.
Tom Krystofiak? Again, another super nice guy but only played basketball and really was only heard of in HS. Not much from Canisius (which isn't a BB powerhouse, BTW).
Lastly, don't overlook Ray Pienta. Football, volleyball, and track in HS followed by a long career as a softball pitcher. Which leads me the question - why is he not in the WNY Softball Hall of Fame? What are the criteria for entry? Does anyone know?
When did Pienta play ball (what years)?
ElCaribe

Bellaire, TX

#18 May 4, 2009
best yet wrote:
<quoted text> When did Pienta play ball (what years)?
I checked the records as best I could. Ray 'Star' Pienta played varsity halfback for Jim Gibbons feared wishbone attack 1972 and 73. He dominated the DHS Volleyball court as well. His softball run included a multi year trek throughout the 70's where he dominated C league as a pitcher, paired with catcher Tom Sommerfelt (son of one of Dunkirk's all time greats Komieneck (sp?). That burgeoning pitching career was cut woefully short at it's peak, as he had to devote time to academics.
Interesting in Dunkirk

United States

#19 May 5, 2009
Man I played softball for 33yrs and I was way,way better than Ray P.(C league b league and 30 yrs in AA & A) and I'm not 9in the hall either... criteria is you have to suck up to Harv Tofil.
Texas Marauder

Houston, TX

#20 May 5, 2009
I had heard that as criteria for getting into Hall before. Who is in it from Dunkirk area?

Also, didn't Pienta hold a track record or two?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Please help 10 hr WacsAlumni 1
please help 10 hr WacsAlumni 2
Charity and her threats (Aug '12) 10 hr RightPlace 9
Blonde in Fredonia by 1 Temple Square 10 hr RightPlace 4
Panty shot 10 hr Wow 3
3 arrested ? 10 hr RMD 1
Courtney ziemba 10 hr RMD 10
Portland Dating
Find my Match

Portland Jobs