Fee increases on Council agenda

Fee increases on Council agenda

There are 23 comments on the Observer story from Nov 30, 2009, titled Fee increases on Council agenda. In it, Observer reports that:

As the year winds down the work doesn't for the Dunkirk Common Council. It will have seven pre-filed resolutions, and likely some walkins, to consider during its regular session Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dk dyke

Lancaster, NY

#1 Nov 30, 2009
no suprise.once again dunkirk will hike all the fees they can think of and then the mayor will be bragging that he didnt raise taxes.more of the same.
Sharon

Buffalo, NY

#2 Dec 2, 2009
What would you expect...all the employees got nice raises, and half of them don't live in Dunkirk! Gotta come from somewhere
Bulldog

United States

#3 Dec 2, 2009
Why are you posting this on the Jamestown forum? We've got enough problems of our own here...lol.
fed up

Livonia Center, NY

#4 Dec 3, 2009
dk dyke wrote:
no suprise.once again dunkirk will hike all the fees they can think of and then the mayor will be bragging that he didnt raise taxes.more of the same.
Raising fees (instead of taxes) is a common political manuever. Frey can then state confidently, as every other politician does who chooses this option, that he didn't raise taxes. It's the ideal spin to deflect expected criticism.

We are the tax-paying grunts (revenue sources) that keep funding wasteful and/or unnecessary spending. Remember, the council can reject these fee increases at any time, but doing so would likely force higher taxes, and the council doesn't want to be credited with that...and the mayor knows it.

So you see, both parties can try to justify increases in fees, but at the end of the day, they can ALL take credit for keeping taxes down. This is a good example of irresponsible spending & governing, indentical to how Albany runs the state.
Willie

United States

#5 Dec 3, 2009
Some one has to pay for all your welfare neighbors.
fed up

Livonia Center, NY

#6 Dec 3, 2009
Willie wrote:
Some one has to pay for all your welfare neighbors.
Yes, I agree, our neighbors (Fredonia) has plently of welfare rececpients of their own, but I believe the topic was about increased Dunkirk fees (opposed to raising taxes), not wasteful state-wide programs.

Your Dunkirk slam is irrelevant.
Willie

United States

#7 Dec 3, 2009
The topic was about increased Dunkirk fees, slam? it's the truth, but that will never come out of anybody's mouth in city hall.
WOW

Buffalo, NY

#8 Dec 3, 2009
Willie wrote:
The topic was about increased Dunkirk fees, slam? it's the truth, but that will never come out of anybody's mouth in city hall.
So what does that have to do with welfare?
Willie

United States

#9 Dec 3, 2009
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>So what does that have to do with welfare?
The property owners and landlords pay the increase, you can raise all taxes in the city, it won't effect the welfare population one bit, they don't work, own homes etc.
yeah

Fredonia, NY

#10 Dec 3, 2009
This sounds like a trick Mayor Sullivan did to fredonia.
wiggles

Dunkirk, NY

#11 Dec 3, 2009
Willie wrote:
<quoted text>The property owners and landlords pay the increase, you can raise all taxes in the city, it won't effect the welfare population one bit, they don't work, own homes etc.
I think you need to look at the tax assessments and find how many of those slumlords collecting BIG checks from Social Services, for rent live in Fredonia..........It is rather interesting to note some of the names.....
soo

Fredonia, NY

#12 Dec 3, 2009
wiggles wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to look at the tax assessments and find how many of those slumlords collecting BIG checks from Social Services, for rent live in Fredonia..........It is rather interesting to note some of the names.....
So what, there are slumlords that live in Dunkirk that own rental property in Fredonia, so what! Somebody has to own the property and pay the taxes on them. You make no sense.
wiggles

Dunkirk, NY

#13 Dec 3, 2009
soo wrote:
<quoted text>So what, there are slumlords that live in Dunkirk that own rental property in Fredonia, so what! Somebody has to own the property and pay the taxes on them. You make no sense.
The point I was making was that if the poor quality rentals were not available, then people would be more than willing to purchase homes in neighborhoods that have been infiltrated by scumbags that are ruining our community. If homeowners in any community would just repair homes than they could be sold rather than put up for cheap housing. We can also thank those that went all out and put the one stop Social Services facilities in the heart of Dunkirk.........why wouldn't welfare people want to locate near their funding source.
dkkk

Fredonia, NY

#14 Dec 3, 2009
The Social services facilities and urban renewal killed Dunkirk.
wiggles

Dunkirk, NY

#15 Dec 3, 2009
dkkk wrote:
The Social services facilities and urban renewal killed Dunkirk.
Amen!
Willie

United States

#16 Dec 3, 2009
wiggles wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!
I agree.
Sharon

Buffalo, NY

#17 Dec 3, 2009
Bulldog wrote:
Why are you posting this on the Jamestown forum? We've got enough problems of our own here...lol.
Look at the heading...it definately say D-U-N-K-I-R-K
meh

Johnson City, NY

#18 Dec 4, 2009
wiggles wrote:
<quoted text>
The point I was making was that if the poor quality rentals were not available, then people would be more than willing to purchase homes in neighborhoods that have been infiltrated by scumbags that are ruining our community. If homeowners in any community would just repair homes than they could be sold rather than put up for cheap housing. We can also thank those that went all out and put the one stop Social Services facilities in the heart of Dunkirk.........why wouldn't welfare people want to locate near their funding source.
No point in fixing your house. It only raises the assessment and that only raises your taxes. Might as well leave it in shambles and keep the taxes lower. This way you can make it low income housing and rape the city/state whomever, for obscene amounts of welfare. This in turn, will only drain the the city's finances and raise the taxes even more. Its a downward spiral... Know how to fix it? Take care of the welfare problem. How do you do that? Hell if I know. End welfare, put people on the streets...just watch the crime skyrocket. Put more limitations on it is the best I can think of at 320am.
Willie

United States

#19 Dec 4, 2009
It's to late to fix the welfare program in N.Y.S.
yikes

Fredonia, NY

#20 Dec 4, 2009
Willie wrote:
It's to late to fix the welfare program in N.Y.S.
Its never too late. Eliminate it after 6 months. Why pay for recipients to breed with NO incentive to ever work. There are truly destitute who need this program, the elderly, the sick,the mentally challenged, the extremely young. This has become a right of passage for tooooooooooo many people and has to stop. We all know people who are milking the system. Time to end it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do all the post about the school board keep... 14 hr Tom 7
Hector Camacho is a skirt 22 hr Sara 3
New sign at Memorial Park Thu Scuba steve 7
Matt jaynes Thu Holy Crap Man 6
Brittany Pryll Thu Dave A 3
What will it take for Dunkirk to thrive once ag... Thu BanditSlayer 12
New Mexican restaurant. Thu June bug 6

Portland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance