BCS weighs 18 percent tax hike vs. .....

Apr 7, 2010 Full story: Observer 138

The Brocton School Board was faced with another confrontational group of district residents at its budget workshop Monday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
WTH

Syracuse, NY

#122 Apr 17, 2010
No, actually it was the BOE that ruined it for everybody! Why is everyone so quick to blame it on the SOS group? If the school was properly managed over the years the school would not be in the place that is now!
County Resident

Fredonia, NY

#123 Apr 17, 2010
yea wrote:
<quoted text>the K and early grade class size is a little mis-leading, at that age a lot of students go to the catholic or private schools and transfer to public later on around middle school
AT THE BEST NUMBERS AVAILABLE, IF ALL 10-15 GRADS PER YEAR, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! FREDONIA WOULD BE OVERCROWDED , BOY ARE YOU SCREWED UP.... THE AREA NEEDS ABOUT 5000 INDUSTRIAL JOBS TO CREAT A POPULATION OF YOUNG FAMILIES TO CREAT A NEED FOR THE SCHOOL SYSTEM YOU JERKS ARE DREAMING OF..... ONLY 4 OR 5 LAST YEAR GRADS FROM NCCS HAVE CHOSEN TO CONTINUE THEIR HS EDUCATION IN HAMBURG OR ATHOL SPRINGS, THEREFORE THE REMAINING GRADS HAVE BEEN ABSORBED IN FRED., DK., SILVER CREEK AND SO ON... I REST MY CASE..........
student

Fredonia, NY

#124 Apr 17, 2010
WTH wrote:
No, actually it was the BOE that ruined it for everybody! Why is everyone so quick to blame it on the SOS group? If the school was properly managed over the years the school would not be in the place that is now!
So then, who voted them into office year after year and who voted for the budget year after year? The SOS put out a lot of propaganda. Now look where we are at!
joe

Belpre, OH

#125 Apr 18, 2010
thank god they still got that god dam bulldog!! it only gonna cost me almost 3000 a year now!! to bad there will be no sports jersey's to put it on!
Natural

Fredonia, NY

#126 Apr 18, 2010
Doesn't the school budget have to be voted on by the public ?

It still could be sent back to the school board for further cuts.
hopeful

Barnesville, OH

#127 Apr 19, 2010
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you trying to say that the ONLY people that shop at Walmart are from Fredonia? Seriously?
fredonia people shop at Walmart? thought they would all be above shopping were common folk from Dunkirk & Brocton shop
I did

Fredonia, NY

#128 Apr 19, 2010
hopeful wrote:
<quoted text>
fredonia people shop at Walmart? thought they would all be above shopping were common folk from Dunkirk & Brocton shop
You did not get what the person was trying to say...Brocton may have to raise money for sports, and where would they go, but to the community that they told no on a merger and also made some nasty comments about. Everyone goes to walmart, only store around, it happens to be in Fredonia. Its funny that if Brocton has to raise money that they might go there to a community that they dislike. At least the sos dislikes, and the sos will probably be the ones leading the way.
WTH

Fredonia, NY

#129 Apr 20, 2010
I did... where did you get that the SOS group doesn't like Fredonia? Have you heard them all say that they don't like fredonia? Do you even know any of the members of the SOS group?
I did

Fredonia, NY

#130 Apr 20, 2010
WTH wrote:
I did... where did you get that the SOS group doesn't like Fredonia? Have you heard them all say that they don't like fredonia? Do you even know any of the members of the SOS group?
I do know people on the sos, some of them have really big egos, not to mention that they would do anything for the bulldog, at any cost, the sos went to a school board meeting with suggestions on cutting cost, only to find out that those measures were already in place! The sos will be the gloom and doom of BCS
Portland

Westfield, NY

#131 Apr 21, 2010
Beg to differ, I was involved in the SOS group, dont think I ever heard anyone belittle Fredonia. I have numerous Friends there and have no bad feelings toward Fredonia at all. Like to know what members said something bad, maybe I did not hear them. The majority of that group are decent people who have children at BCS, some are teachers ect... And that list that the concerned citizens handed in had lots of good ideas, and no, not all 4 pages were in place by the school.
Portland

Westfield, NY

#132 Apr 26, 2010
Tell Me More wrote:
<quoted text>You can't,its a city charter vs. a public school,untill the state changes the wording in the law it could'nt happen.
Thanks for the info..I thought I had heard it could happen
getaclue

Buffalo, NY

#133 Apr 27, 2010
First of all, it is not the teacher's fault that they get the kind of money at bcs that they get. Anyone who knows anything about school negotiations knows that the superintendent and the boe know exactly what they are going to give the teachers when they first sit down at the table. Therefore, it is the resposibility of the supt, the business manager and the boe to know what the community can afford to pay the teachers. These people who negotiated these salaries were not smart enough to negotiated salaries that the tax payers could afford. MISMANAGEMENT! As far as the SOS group being the ones who were responsibile for the merger going down, that is not true. There were only 10 to 20 people present at those meetings.....there were 800 who voted it down. The SOS group wanted answers that for some reason the BOE refused to give! A little honesty problem I call it. If people had been honest then maybe people could have trusted the boe and things could have gone differently. Lastly, a group of people offered a number of very doable and positive suggestions to the boe on how to save money. They refused just about every suggestion. Their pride got in the way. Yes, times are tough, people are not stupid in Brocton. We just want to work things out so we do no lose our school. There is nothing wrong with Fredonia, but I do not want to send my childred to Fredonia. That is the bottom line. I elected boe members that I trusted....obviously, they do not have a clue and I feel very cheated.
PeopleAreFunny

Fredonia, NY

#134 Apr 27, 2010
If you paid teachers in Brocton what Brocton could afford, you would not have a school. What are you talking about? Teacher's salaries vary from school to school, but probably not more than $3 or 5K per year for starting salaries. You have to pay to attract good teachers, right?

So now you're looking at an 18% tax increase due to your "no" vote. That no vote sure told everyone what's what.
getaclue

Buffalo, NY

#136 Apr 28, 2010
NO, we are not looking at 18% tax increase due to our "no" vote. We are looking at an 18% increase because our superintendent, our business manager and our boe thought we could, "keep up with the Jones." Our little school has many things that other little schools do not have: example: home-school coordinator, public relations person, an aide for every grade level, a half day off every month to plan and correct papers......large schools may be able to afford those things, but not our little school. Brocton teacher salaries are greater than other small schools in our area. Teacher salaries should reflect the community. We would still get good teachers even at a lower pay. That is not the reason why teachers go into teaching, "to make big bucks". For every one teaching position available (even in small, less paying districts) there are over 100 applicants....
PeopleAreFunny

Fredonia, NY

#137 Apr 28, 2010
Have you checked to see if BCS is mandated to provide a home-school coordinator due to someone in your district choosing to be home schooled?

The half day off each month is probably union negotiated and standard.

In order to attract good teachers to Brocton, you probably need to offer more. Don't you see that there isn't much to Brocton housing-wise? Why would you expect a small school to not offer a competitive salary? It's not a Catholic/private school.
bull

Dunkirk, NY

#138 Apr 28, 2010
Remember the Westfield Ripley merger, all the BS about higher taxes if it got voted down. All the BS about not being able to support a school? Well Westfield didn't have a problem last year after the vote down, if fact they had over $850,000 in surplus. This year Westfield doesn't have an increase either. POINT; BCS has been mismanaged by the Supt and BOE, they knew they were in trouble and felt it could save their asses with a merger. It fell thur, come up with a new plan Supt and BOE either that or get off the board. That is why its mismanagement other school voted down a merger and don't have 14 percent increase, tell me why Brocton. ITS MISMANAGEMENT DATING BACK 4 OR 5 YEARS WHEN TEACHERS AND EMPLOYEES SHOULD HAVE BEEN GETTING RELEASED. THE BCS SUPT WASTED OUR FUNDING AND BLAMES IT ON WHAT?
getaclue

Buffalo, NY

#139 Apr 28, 2010
The duties of a "home-school" coordinator can be handled by other employees, example: principal. Yes, I believe the 1/2 day off every month is in their contract, but why? Why would the district negoatiate that? How many other schools have that? It is not "standard". They could offer a competitive starting salary and reasonable raises, but if you compare Brocton salaries to other districts, it does very well. They make more money faster...move through the steps faster. You just can't pay the same kind of wages in Brocton as in Fredonia, we have no tax base. Those are the types of things that the superintendent, business manager and boe members should be keeping in check.........again MISMANAGEMENT
really

Bethel Park, PA

#140 Aug 30, 2011
18% hike? And pay Betty Deland 80k a year? Come on people where are your brains??????????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISIL, Syria, & Iraq 12 hr An American 1
uniform 18 hr amy 2
best buffet Chinese restaurant 18 hr Cindy 2
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 19 hr Clifford Spencer 758
Best Fish Fry? (Jul '11) 21 hr Debbie 61
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Fri liberalP 6,443
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Robert Burns 16,790
•••
•••

Portland Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Portland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Portland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Portland
•••