BCS weighs 18 percent tax hike vs. .....

There are 138 comments on the Observer story from Apr 7, 2010, titled BCS weighs 18 percent tax hike vs. ...... In it, Observer reports that:

The Brocton School Board was faced with another confrontational group of district residents at its budget workshop Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
sick and tired

Westfield, NY

#1 Apr 7, 2010
tooooooooo baddddd people who are supposed to be educated,intelligent people, who are always taking away from the children,but keep their wallets fat,why dont skahill,deland,keefe,just to mention a few try to live on 30,000 for a few years, pay their own health ins,so on and so forth,or live without health insurance because you cant afford it see how with feels you work but still cant afford nothing(and why in the hell should we pay for skahill's wife's health insurance,how much would we save there?)why cant people make it happen its right in front of everyone,everyone knows where things should be cut or eliminated but the fat cats are greedier by the second,hell tell me this why does a teacher need an assistant,never did before why does a guidance counselor need a secretary they dont know how to keep record or paperwork straght! why does a nurse need a assistant? our enrollment is constantly decreasing,but yet everyone needs an assistant or helper and how much are we paying in salaries,retirements? bunch of B.S. There educated people I dont think so! Lets just keep taking away from kids! Add burden to taxpayers that try to continue to live here.You people make me sick.
I agree

Westfield, NY

#2 Apr 7, 2010
sick and tired wrote:
tooooooooo baddddd people who are supposed to be educated,intelligent people, who are always taking away from the children,but keep their wallets fat,why dont skahill,deland,keefe,just to mention a few try to live on 30,000 for a few years, pay their own health ins,so on and so forth,or live without health insurance because you cant afford it see how with feels you work but still cant afford nothing(and why in the hell should we pay for skahill's wife's health insurance,how much would we save there?)why cant people make it happen its right in front of everyone,everyone knows where things should be cut or eliminated but the fat cats are greedier by the second,hell tell me this why does a teacher need an assistant,never did before why does a guidance counselor need a secretary they dont know how to keep record or paperwork straght! why does a nurse need a assistant? our enrollment is constantly decreasing,but yet everyone needs an assistant or helper and how much are we paying in salaries,retirements? bunch of B.S. There educated people I dont think so! Lets just keep taking away from kids! Add burden to taxpayers that try to continue to live here.You people make me sick.
Also why does Betty Deland collect not one but two paychecks from BCS?
Tell Me More

Fredonia, NY

#3 Apr 7, 2010
I agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Also why does Betty Deland collect not one but two paychecks from BCS?
How does she collect two checks I dont get it?
YouknowMe

Fredonia, NY

#4 Apr 7, 2010
I agree with Sick and Tired. This is becoming absurd. 18% additional increase? Come on..people still need to live. What was the point of adding on that huge and unnecessary addition if there aren't going to be students going to the school. Plus, it costs more money to have a bigger school (gas, heat, electricity, etc) People are sick and tired of getting screwed around. It seems like every time we turn around there trying to shove something else up our asses. Why is it that Bill Henris is making $90,000 + a year. He's not even a real teacher, yet he is one of the highest paid morons at the school. And you're right about Skahils wife, who gives a fat shit about her health insurance. What did she do for our school or community....NOTHING. Why is her insurance coming out of our pockets. I suppose it might not be that big of a deal to those who are making decent money, like some of the teachers and staff at the school, but to those who are in the lower to middle working class it is a big deal. I would like to see some of the teachers and staff take a pay cut instead of disrupting the whole community by raising the taxes. You're right, get rid of the assistants and the secretaries. Maybe these people should start doing their own work, afterall that is what we are paying them to do.
Yesindeedy

Buffalo, NY

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Here's a question: Exactly what will that 18% increase cost the average taxpayer in actual dollars per year? I have yet to see that figure, and I think it needs to be out there. Not being from Brocton, I have no idea what 18% means in actual dollars. If the average taxpayer in Brocton pays say,$2000 in taxes, how much of it is school taxes? If it's half, then 18% translates to $180 more per year, which is $15 a month. One less pizza a month and you just paid your taxes, and the kids get to keep their sports. I'm not saying it's zero dollars, I'm just saying it's not a back breaker either and it changes the discussion somewhat. Anyway, anyone have the figures?
yesindeed

Fredonia, NY

#6 Apr 8, 2010
The tax rate per thousand in Brocton is about $22.00, maybe a little less, but 18% of that is $3.96. if your house is assessed at $100,000 thats a $396 increase if assessed at $50,000 the increase would be $198.
abel

Westfield, NY

#7 Apr 8, 2010
On a home assessed at 65K which I believe is about the average according to various websites, the actual realized increase at 18% will be 390.00 per year extra on school taxes. This includes the standard STAR exemption and translates to 32.50 per month. On a 50K house the increase is 182.00 per year or 15.16 per month. So on the average home it's maybe one less pizza per month and no chicken wings with that pizza! And I agree, it's really not a back breaker, I don't like it but I can live with it.
Tell Me More

Fredonia, NY

#8 Apr 8, 2010
I agree that 200 or 300 dollars is doable for my family,but when is enough.This year 200 next year 200 next thing you know you are paying 6000 in taxes in podunk Brocton so that some D BAG can keep thier job when some dont have one.This is why this state,county,and towns are broke!!!It has to stop somewhere and should stop this year.
abel

Westfield, NY

#9 Apr 8, 2010
I completely agree that it has to stop, and the sooner the better. The days of free spending, fat raises and bonus vacation days at the expense of the taxpayer are gone. The lions share of any school budget is in salaries, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure where to start with the cuts. The teachers union is like a vampire sucking us dry, if they don't like the upcoming contract proposal they will refuse it and resort to the tri borough and continue to get increases according to the current contract. All the while bitching about co workers getting axed and having increases in their class size. I know I'm tired of it.
FREDONIALIFER

Westfield, NY

#10 Apr 8, 2010
You're so right - this is just little ole Brocton - people can't afford their taxes now and with everything else on the rise the picture doesn't look good. The group that led to the merger not being approved needs their heads examined. The house values in Brocton would have been comparable to those in Fredonia and our taxes would not have gone up - probably down!!! Based on the average income in Brocton an 18% tax hike is outrageous. The BCS doors will be closed within 2 years if something isn't done now to complete a merger. The so called "elite" group from Brocton says they will instill programs to come up with the money to pay for sports, etc. Are they just plain stupid???
Tell Me More

Fredonia, NY

#11 Apr 8, 2010
I dont want to paint this picture that Brocton is this poor place,some are yes,but there are some that are not.A major tax increase anywhere is total BS just to keep the same people employed.I dont care if its in Brocton or Williamsville.No wounder some people beat thier spose,get divorced,drink everyday or do stupid crap,just cant take it anymore i guess?
haha

Fredonia, NY

#12 Apr 8, 2010
FREDONIALIFER wrote:
You're so right - this is just little ole Brocton - people can't afford their taxes now and with everything else on the rise the picture doesn't look good. The group that led to the merger not being approved needs their heads examined. The house values in Brocton would have been comparable to those in Fredonia and our taxes would not have gone up - probably down!!! Based on the average income in Brocton an 18% tax hike is outrageous. The BCS doors will be closed within 2 years if something isn't done now to complete a merger. The so called "elite" group from Brocton says they will instill programs to come up with the money to pay for sports, etc. Are they just plain stupid???
If sports are dropped, they probably will come to Walmart in FREDONIA to fund raise!!! You people do not want us, stay in your own town to raise money.
true

Fredonia, NY

#13 Apr 8, 2010
They will want to go to Fredonia to raise money for sports. So where are the super people that think that they know everything (save our school from those nasty Fredonia people group). Where are all the credible ideas to lower taxes and raise money for sports? Sports at any cost, maybe you people who have kids that pay sports should foot the bill! But to go hat in hand to the Fredonia area (Walmart) to raise money would make you people out to be the biggest joke there is going.
Yesindeedy

Buffalo, NY

#14 Apr 8, 2010
Thank you to those that posted an answer to my question on the actual dollar amount of the proposed tax increase. I agree that no matter the amount, affordable or not, something has to give here eventually, cuts will need to be made. However, if the tax increase is affordable, then I'd guess the school remains open for quite some time as long as some costs are contained...namely salaries. No raise for say 4 years, see how the economy goes, then talk about it. The ridiculous name calling and remarks about the merger are a bit much. And why do ther Fredonia people really care? They're going to have a 10% increase themselves, and I assure you that their 10% will easily top Brocton's 18%!!
true

Fredonia, NY

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Yesindeedy wrote:
Thank you to those that posted an answer to my question on the actual dollar amount of the proposed tax increase. I agree that no matter the amount, affordable or not, something has to give here eventually, cuts will need to be made. However, if the tax increase is affordable, then I'd guess the school remains open for quite some time as long as some costs are contained...namely salaries. No raise for say 4 years, see how the economy goes, then talk about it. The ridiculous name calling and remarks about the merger are a bit much. And why do ther Fredonia people really care? They're going to have a 10% increase themselves, and I assure you that their 10% will easily top Brocton's 18%!!
Not when Fredonia's is 10% of a cheaper tax rate than Broctons 18% of a higher tax rate, I do not how you can figure that Fredonia's would cost more, when they already have a cheaper tax rate than Brocton
i know these thing

Orchard Park, NY

#16 Apr 8, 2010
keep voting for the same old state leaders,mostly the dems
getalife

Westfield, NY

#17 Apr 8, 2010
true wrote:
They will want to go to Fredonia to raise money for sports. So where are the super people that think that they know everything (save our school from those nasty Fredonia people group). Where are all the credible ideas to lower taxes and raise money for sports? Sports at any cost, maybe you people who have kids that pay sports should foot the bill! But to go hat in hand to the Fredonia area (Walmart) to raise money would make you people out to be the biggest joke there is going.
So are you trying to say that the ONLY people that shop at Walmart are from Fredonia? Seriously?
I agree

Westfield, NY

#18 Apr 8, 2010
Tell Me More wrote:
<quoted text> How does she collect two checks I dont get it?
From what I have been told she has two job titles at the school and gets two paychecks. Instead of doing what most company's are doing by reassigning duties or combining jobs to save money; good old BCS would rather pay out more money.
BCS

Dunkirk, NY

#19 Apr 8, 2010
Skahill and Deland and all the Board of Education members need to resign. They got us into this situation does anyone beleive they can turn things around, NO WAY.
true

Fredonia, NY

#20 Apr 8, 2010
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you trying to say that the ONLY people that shop at Walmart are from Fredonia? Seriously?
No but it would be hypocritical to go to Fredonia to Fund raise for BCS when they told Fredonia to pound salt!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sewer pump overflowing into Westfield creek (Apr '14) 5 hr Mike 4
ambit energy 7 hr Uncle 10
Fredonia Dog warden 17 hr fedup 1
kathy archer Mon Wrong 4
Cats Mon Idiots everywhere 5
No Plans Sun Steve 2
Fredonia Library Sun justanotheropinion 2
More from around the web

Portland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE