Diocese staying out of gay marriage f...

Diocese staying out of gay marriage fight

There are 152 comments on the WCSH 6 Portland story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Diocese staying out of gay marriage fight. In it, WCSH 6 Portland reports that:

PORTLAND, Maine -- The Maine Catholic diocese will not actively campaign against a same sex referendum which is expected to be on the ballot this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCSH 6 Portland.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#144 Mar 5, 2012
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew anything about the history of marriage, you would know first that it was not about love, but consolidation of political power and procreation. Second, one man and one woman has not been the predominate model for marriage in almost all of human history. It was typically one man and several women. Third, gay marriage existed in medieval times and the ceremonies were even conducted by the Catholic Church with an old right known as brothermaking. Last, marriage in a modern context is none of this because it's not about consolidation of political power, procreation is optional, the relationships are monogamous, and people get married out of love. Your understanding of this matter is extremely flawed. However and again, how things were done in the past is no argument for how they should be done in the future.
I would suggest you learn history from other than a gay history book... Seriously.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#145 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
By your logic, no minority rights could exist, or any special rights for that matter.
The fact of the matter is you dumb down marriage to 'two people' so you can open the door to all the distinctions that only a heterosexual couple with the possibility of procreation has.
Destructive and corrupt.
By my logic no minority rights NEED to exist in well crafted Law, because there is nothing in the Law that excludes them to begin with. Court Judgements may need to be handed down to make principles clear to dunderheads who can't grasp principles and extrapolate from them. The problem is that Law is not always well and rationally crafted. Peoples' heads certainly aren't. lol

The Law doesn't take those factors into account in any of it's wording ... until religionists recently put it there.

I think you need to rethink and rewrite this section. It says the opposite of what I think you intend:

" ... open the door to all the distinctions that only a heterosexual couple with the possibility of procreation has..."

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#146 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest you learn history from other than a gay history book... Seriously.
And where do you think history books generally discuss gay history other than in a gay history book? It's a niche subject. Most history books don't even mention the sexual orientation of key figures discussed. Prime examples include Alexander the Great, Leonardo Da Vinci, and the father of modern computing, Alan Turing.

This book in particular is one of the foremost academic works pertaining to the subject of gay marriage:
http://www.amazon.com/Same-Sex-Unions-Premode...

This is a first hand account of a homosexual persecuted by the Nazis during WW2:
http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Seel-Deported-Ho...

Why is there not so much gay history? Read about how the Nazis destroyed the first library ever constructed to collect and house books written on the subject. Some were so unique that once burned they were no longer in existence:

Institut für Sexualwissenschaft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_f%C3%BC...

I know my stuff.
lawful

East Northport, NY

#147 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
Rather than waste time replying to each one, here is the applicable response.
Screaming "bigotry and hate" is not a logical response. No one has addressed specific points yet. Isn't that interesting... If you have no logical response addressing each point, just say so.
Let me help you. Why not take one point at a time? You need to learn how to address issues outside politically correct gay 'talking points' and think for yourselves.
Trust me, this is for your benefit. Don't be afraid of truth.
truth??? your truth, maybe. Not mine. why does gay marriage scare you so much? Noone is forcing religions to marry gay people, it is the state that gay people are focusing on. someone's gay marriage will have no bearing on my heterosexual marriage. the only thing that destroys marriage is divorce. shall we make that unlawful?

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#149 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
I would never want to dismiss a honest reply, so here is an example you can show me;
Point 1 ~ If you believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love.
Does denying marriage to a distinct relationship (or any other relationship for that matter) of two committed people prevent love?
Actually, the love and committment come first, like in any courtship. Marriage does not come until later, so this question does not make any sense.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#150 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. I almost laughed when he told the lie that the Catholic Church performed those ceremonies.

Where do these people get this bs from anyway? It's not only laughable, but pathetic.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#151 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
This is my original post that you equate with your responses;
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love
Love comes first...this makes no sense...
If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage
Totally up to the individuals involved...
If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage
Question framed in a negative manner??? Imposition??? Rather, rights can only be acquired by marriage....
If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders
Use again of negative language...you must write voting proposals...rather say all loving committed couples are equal
If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history
You fumed about us not answering your questions...and you put purposefully negative, biased language in almost every one. It's no wonder people gave you a pass. N=My answer to you is ....we are already married in our churches before God...you are blocking government marriages...your argument is moot
If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no effect
No change necessary. Marriage creates families, just like it has always done.

If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships
There is no difference between my love for my wife and any one's true love for their wife. NONE...
If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity
No one is duplicating sexuality. We are each separate people....
If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent
Another false negative...children need a loving family. One loving adult, two loving parents, loving grandma and grandpa, what ever configuration the family takes....love and attention, and care, and discipline, will give the outcome the best chance.
If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act[?QUOTE]LIAR.....there is nothing harmful about homosexual love.[QUOTE]
If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end
We have been around throughout history, and heterosexuals keep giving birth to us, so we fulfill some important part of God's plan. Do YOU know what His plan IS???
If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest
We are as healthy as any heterosexual. There is no difference in the level of our health. None at all.
If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none
We reproduce just fine, thank you. It just takes more purposeful thought and a real sense of what it takes to be a good parent...
If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'
What dilutes it??? Your opinion???
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
You are a hypocrite of the nth degree. You come mealy mouthing around saying no one will answer your questions, and then you set them out...not as questions, but as negative, nasty, false propaganda. Well I answered your questions for you, which I know was a waste of time. My marriage is as deserved as any of my neighbors. My marriage is as blessed by God as any others preformed in my church. Your hatred and bias will never change those facts.

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#152 Mar 5, 2012
Gay And Proud wrote:
I saw this on the web recently and thought it summed it all up really well:

"Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a donut because you're on a diet."
love it!!!
Mitt s Dog Crate Roofies

Wilmington, DE

#153 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you finish your hissy fit and take your hormones you might read the specifics of my disagreement as in context so you don't look silly.
Hey misogynist filth, you missed the content.

You're a bigot. If we had laws saying you homophobic freeeks couldn't marry, adopt, serve openly, etc., you wouldn't then insist on this "all important" civility while you tried to get your rights back.

You're a sick, disingenuous piece of trash.
Mitt s Dog Crate Roofies

Wilmington, DE

#154 Mar 5, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey liar, you forgot the rest of the content, too.

The existence of a same sex marriage is not something that is "imposed" on your marriage (to your beard.) It has not effect on your sham heterosexuality.

What marriage equality does is make it even harder for you mongoloids to try and shame and disfranchise glbt people.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#155 Mar 5, 2012
DayStorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. I almost laughed when he told the lie that the Catholic Church performed those ceremonies.
Where do these people get this bs from anyway? It's not only laughable, but pathetic.
I posted a link to the book, and it is a highly respected piece of academic liturature. The Catholic Church claims the ceremonies were little more than to bless two best friends as brothers. Thus, the reason why it was called brothermaking. Anyone would have to be a fool to not think some gay couples would have taken advantage of that.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#156 Mar 6, 2012
DayStorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh ... from written records of the ceremonies. Most occurred before the East-West schism. We have texts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A post-nomination challenge for Clinton: Rallyi... Aug 9 Inquisitor 10
Narrow Passageways in Manhattan, New York City... Aug 5 Patricia_McGurk 1
trump you must be Aug 4 trump camp is a mess 1
boycott the usps Jul '16 JOHNNY LENNON 1
Hottest Newscaster in Maine (Aug '13) Jul '16 Jazzman 3
truth of israel and jews Jul '16 BUDD PRESCOTT 1
News Portland to introduce travel ban due to discrim... May '16 TerriB1 6

Portland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance