Diocese staying out of gay marriage f...

Diocese staying out of gay marriage fight

There are 152 comments on the WCSH 6 Portland story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Diocese staying out of gay marriage fight. In it, WCSH 6 Portland reports that:

PORTLAND, Maine -- The Maine Catholic diocese will not actively campaign against a same sex referendum which is expected to be on the ballot this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCSH 6 Portland.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#1 Mar 3, 2012
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love

If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage

If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage

If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders

If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history

If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no effect

If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships

If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity

If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent

If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act

If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end

If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest

If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none

If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'

Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 3, 2012
Not all catholic churches are created equally bigoted with a disregard for the separation of church and state.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
Yep, same-sex unions are the same as marriage, which is why thousands of same-sex couples have gotten married.
A Word from King James

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love
If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage
If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage
If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders
If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history
If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no effect
If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships
If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity
If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent
If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act
If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end
If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest
If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none
If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
Your shopping list is the reason churches don't sell marriage licenses anywhere in America
.
$35 marriage licenses are only sold by clerks in county courthouses; right down the hall from driver's licenses. No religion needed
.
County Judges and Justices of the Peace perform marriage ceremonies and establish legal kinship; sometimes for free. No preacher needed
.
This is done to assure equal access to marriage for couples with no religious affiliation; and for Jews; Muslims; Hindus; Buddhists; Mormons; Catholics; Wiccans; and Fundies; not just for Christians
.
Its the American Way

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Mar 3, 2012
Bishop Malone must have run out of money after paying for all their sex abuse cases. I guess they can't waste $500,000 on a losing campaign.
A Word from King James

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love
If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage
If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage
If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders
If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history
If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no effect
If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships
If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity
If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent
If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act
If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end
If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest
If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none
If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
You doomsday prediction never materialized
.
Gay couples from all 50 states have been traveling to gay marriage states to purchase a $35 legal marriage license and get hitched since May 17,2004
http://makeitequal.org/
.
So gay marriage has been around for quite a while now
.
We have 10-year-olds who have never known a world without gay marriage; so its no big deal for younger generations
.
The quest for marriage equality by Gay couples has absolutely nothing to do with heterosexual couples. Nothing has changed for the hets. Nothing has happened to “traditional marriage.”
.
People who are straight have continued to date, get engaged, marry and build lives and families together as they always have. None of that has changed by allowing Gay couples to do the same
.
This is really not any sort of a “sea change” for marriage, since the only difference between Gay and Straight couples is the gender of the two persons in the relationship; a detail so irrelevant its not recorded on marriage licenses

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 3, 2012
A Word from King James wrote:
<quoted text>
You doomsday prediction never materialized
.
Gay couples from all 50 states have been traveling to gay marriage states to purchase a $35 legal marriage license and get hitched since May 17,2004
http://makeitequal.org/
.
So gay marriage has been around for quite a while now
.
We have 10-year-olds who have never known a world without gay marriage; so its no big deal for younger generations
.
The quest for marriage equality by Gay couples has absolutely nothing to do with heterosexual couples. Nothing has changed for the hets. Nothing has happened to “traditional marriage.”
.
People who are straight have continued to date, get engaged, marry and build lives and families together as they always have. None of that has changed by allowing Gay couples to do the same
.
This is really not any sort of a “sea change” for marriage, since the only difference between Gay and Straight couples is the gender of the two persons in the relationship; a detail so irrelevant its not recorded on marriage licenses
Instead of spouting packaged responses that have nothing to do with what I stated, how about a point by point response that involves real thinking?
hi hi

Pottstown, PA

#8 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of spouting packaged responses that have nothing to do with what I stated, how about a point by point response that involves real thinking?
The person did respond to you. What makes me HOWL is that your little "poem" looked like a packaged mantra, or a chant.

It stuns me that you would be so goddamn manipulative: You don't want your mind changed. You want to manipulate that person into responding to points *that have been rebutted thousands of times all over the internet* so that you can argue.

Your attempt to force someone else to respond doesn't mean they have to deem your bullshit worthy of the response you "require." No one is required to take instruction from you.

The last point of your little "poem" is the most chilling; it's the typical and virulently antigay attitude that you people must tirelessly, tirelessly pretend gay people are somehow "beneath" you. Then, when you get attacked or derided for that, you cry like snot-sucking pigs and, INCREDIBLY, you act as if no one has the right to dare to counter what you have said.
A Word from King James

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love
If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage
If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage
If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders
If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history
If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no effect
If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships
If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity
If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent
If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act
If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end
If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest
If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none
If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
Now lets take a look at the doomsday claims that gay couples don't have children. For this example; we'll take our sample from California
.
California has 98,000 gay couples raising 163,000 children
.
California gay couples are already exceeding the 'China Limit' of one child per household
.
Where do you suppose all those kids came from?

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#10 Mar 3, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Bishop Malone must have run out of money after paying for all their sex abuse cases. I guess they can't waste $500,000 on a losing campaign.
Before we get too happy, let's watch and see what the Knights of Columbus do here.

In the Prop H8 fight it was the KC not the Catholic Church per se that donated the millions of dollars.
hi hi

Pottstown, PA

#11 Mar 3, 2012
If this article is true, perhaps the church is learning to shut its goddamn mouth. At the same time, they're *still* trying to tell ME and many others what to believe. I bat their words out of the way without blinking, and continue as I wish, period, end of discussion.
A Word from King James

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of spouting packaged responses that have nothing to do with what I stated, how about a point by point response that involves real thinking?
I currently have 245 readers in this chat room
.
I use the topics from your list to provide informative and educational information about our quest for equal opportunity marriage to my readers from all around the world

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13 Mar 3, 2012
hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
The person did respond to you. What makes me HOWL is that your little "poem" looked like a packaged mantra, or a chant.
It stuns me that you would be so goddamn manipulative: You don't want your mind changed. You want to manipulate that person into responding to points *that have been rebutted thousands of times all over the internet* so that you can argue.
Your attempt to force someone else to respond doesn't mean they have to deem your bullshit worthy of the response you "require." No one is required to take instruction from you.
The last point of your little "poem" is the most chilling; it's the typical and virulently antigay attitude that you people must tirelessly, tirelessly pretend gay people are somehow "beneath" you. Then, when you get attacked or derided for that, you cry like snot-sucking pigs and, INCREDIBLY, you act as if no one has the right to dare to counter what you have said.
Once you have calmed down from your hissy fit, you will noticed I acknowledged a response, just not a rational one.

It is similar to your bigoted, hateful and ad hominem attack.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#14 Mar 3, 2012
A Word from King James wrote:
<quoted text>
Now lets take a look at the doomsday claims that gay couples don't have children. For this example; we'll take our sample from California
.
California has 98,000 gay couples raising 163,000 children
.
California gay couples are already exceeding the 'China Limit' of one child per household
.
Where do you suppose all those kids came from?
This has nothing to do with what I stated.

Again, do you have specific responses to my points?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15 Mar 3, 2012
A Word from King James wrote:
<quoted text>
I currently have 245 readers in this chat room
.
I use the topics from your list to provide informative and educational information about our quest for equal opportunity marriage to my readers from all around the world
Good. I used info from Topix and other sites for my argument. Each point can be fully expounded. I am prepared to defend each one effectively.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Mar 3, 2012
jcofe wrote:
<quoted text>
Before we get too happy, let's watch and see what the Knights of Columbus do here.
In the Prop H8 fight it was the KC not the Catholic Church per se that donated the millions of dollars.
Oh I'm sure NOM or KFC or some other hate group will step up and donate to the anti-gay cause. I'm just think it is significant the catholic church in Maine has obviously run out of money.
hi hi

Pottstown, PA

#17 Mar 3, 2012
Numerous and laughable errors:
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you have calmed down from your hissy fit,
You can see and hear me? News to me. You don't know how I reacted, but I'll be happy to characterize you too, if you shoot your mouth off.
Watchmann wrote:
you will noticed I acknowledged a response, just not a rational one.
Again, no one here is bound by your rules. Get the hell over it, fast.
Watchmann wrote:
It is similar to your bigoted, hateful and ad hominem attack.
And your original post is *NOT* an *AD HOMINEM ATTACK*?

Wait a sec.

Your original post and the material it comprises contains *NO* ad hominem attacks?

Oh, I'm "sorry," crybaby. Looks to me like I am responding to *YOUR* ad hominem attacks with some of my own.

Do you always lie so goddamn much?

Christ.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of spouting packaged responses that have nothing to do with what I stated, how about a point by point response that involves real thinking?
It's not worthy of a point by point response, no more than the KKK manifesto is worthy of a point by point response.

Go troll elsewhere.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Mar 3, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. I used info from Topix and other sites for my argument. Each point can be fully expounded. I am prepared to defend each one effectively.
I'm sure you're more than ready to spend your entire day thinking about gays. Ask yourself this, how many of your "straight" friends spend their entire day thinking about gays and gay marriage and gay sex.
hi hi

Pottstown, PA

#20 Mar 3, 2012
And also, do you whack about it with your tears as lube.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New political blog Fri The Bored Theater 1
News In Maine, it's Ron Paul vs. Mitt Romney (Feb '12) May 16 NeoZionist 5
News Cops: Maine fire chief set blaze May 8 Mitt s Baptism of... 1
News Portland to introduce travel ban due to discrim... Apr '16 TerriB1 1
News This Mainer read a book, quit her job and found... Apr '16 Lucy Ann June 1
News News Minute: Here is the latest Maine, New Hamp... Apr '16 Lucy Anna Jane 1
News Donald Trump suits and ties are made in China Apr '16 Lawrence Wolf 176
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portland Mortgages