ideas to improve our town

Posted in the Portageville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
old news

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 12, 2008
I'm starting this thread because I love Portageville and because you are some of the most creative people anywhere. Together, we can come up with some real and tangible ideas to make Portageville a better place. I will leave it to each and every one of you to remain positive; that is the whole idea here.
What are your ideas to improve your town? What kind of businesses would you like to be able to frequent? What kind of services do you wish the city could provide? What would you be willing to give of yourself to accomplish it?
Portageville is at a pivotal sink or swim moment in its history. The choice is yours. What positive changes would you like to see in your community?
Hmm

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Apr 12, 2008
I think we need to elect younger individuals into the politics of this town in order to freshen issues like new businesses coming into town. I would like to see a beautification law to remove eye sores on every street. No cars rusting in front yards or littered trash. Do away with the "looping law." That is plain ridiculous.
idea

Washington, IN

#3 Apr 12, 2008
less beauty shops and a nothing but tanning salon with all different kinds of beds... maybe a small theater... anything would be better than what we have now
Just a nobody

Dexter, MO

#4 Apr 12, 2008
Hmm wrote:
I think we need to elect younger individuals into the politics of this town in order to freshen issues like new businesses coming into town. I would like to see a beautification law to remove eye sores on every street. No cars rusting in front yards or littered trash. Do away with the "looping law." That is plain ridiculous.
Start with a new Chief of Police. Did you see that crap in the paper. Can't do anything about drugs, stealing, or any other crime but can sit on his butt and try to oversee some other department.
hello

United States

#5 Apr 12, 2008
old news wrote:
I'm starting this thread because I love Portageville and because you are some of the most creative people anywhere. Together, we can come up with some real and tangible ideas to make Portageville a better place. I will leave it to each and every one of you to remain positive; that is the whole idea here.
What are your ideas to improve your town? What kind of businesses would you like to be able to frequent? What kind of services do you wish the city could provide? What would you be willing to give of yourself to accomplish it?
Portageville is at a pivotal sink or swim moment in its history. The choice is yours. What positive changes would you like to see in your community?
more resturants bc you have to go out of town to eat then just do the shopping while there this realy takes from our merchants, and then all the merchants in town quit being afraid someone will get more business than you , do some sales, be polite when someone enters your business,there is nothing worse than going in a business and everyone staring at you like your going to steal something.and best of all a GREAT BIG FLOURISHING FISH HOUSE!!!!!!!! add to our skate park for the kids they love it it keps them off the street out of danger
pville person

Poplar Bluff, MO

#6 Apr 12, 2008
Get some industry in here and put these people back to work! People are happier when they feel like they are supporting themselves and their families. We as a community have to be able to offer something in order to get the industies in here. Some of these farmers could sell their land at a decent price and maybe our city leaders could get some industry in here and put all the people back to work. After that, beautify the town, Big FACELIFT!:) It looks so messy when you drive off the interstate. I am always ashamed when I come off the interstate and see the empty buildings and the mess we have before the 4 way. First impressions are important and people who go to McDOnalds and the soon to be Sonic always make an opinion about the town by what they see first. If it was clean and inviting that would make a difference. People in the stores downtown could be much nicer. I have gone in to WA and some of the other stores, and no one said anything to me. May I help you, etc. Not even a 'HI" . They look at you as if your going to steal something or if your not going to buy- GET OUT! Not a very good impression. One thing I like about Mary Ada's is that when you come it - after your seated - she always comes around and says HI and ask how things are. She makes you feel welcome in her establishment and it is always clean and friendly- Makes me want to come back. Hope this helps!
supporter

Malden, MO

#7 Apr 12, 2008
Someting for the young people to do. They have
to leave town to see a movie. They are not allowed to cruise on some of our local streets,
because the noise is bothorsome to some people.
They are our future, we need to make this a better
place so they will want to live here.
Suburb citizen

Gideon, MO

#8 Apr 12, 2008
1. INDUSTRY - Can't live where you can't work.

(This is priority, after it gets accomplished then I'll post my #2.)
Sew

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Apr 12, 2008
New Madrid has an Ordinance where nobody can have a vehicle in their yard that does not run and is not tagged. Donnie Brown, the Mayor, also sees to it that occupied houses must be kept up or condemned. Many old delapidated houses in NM have been torn down. It looks better than it used to look.
rolemodels

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Apr 12, 2008
Our kids need hardworking, motivated rolemodels.
Cleveland Steamer

AOL

#11 Apr 13, 2008
old news wrote:
Dude were gettin a sonic.
jer

Cape Girardeau, MO

#12 Apr 13, 2008
rolemodels wrote:
Our kids need hardworking, motivated rolemodels.
Exactly, because kids learn by example.

Why not set up a beautification program where individuals can volunteer their time to pick up trash, etc. I'm sure there are residents that aren't able to make their yard look as nice as they want due to health reasons or age. I bet some of the businesses in town would help with "vouchers" that could be given to those volunteers as an incentive for their hard work.(So many $'s off next purchase, free items, anything to show how much they're appreciated for helping out).

That's an encouragement right there!
How About

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Apr 13, 2008
Let's start with locking up all the child molesters in town. You cannot improve a town if your kids ain't safe.
Guest 1

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Apr 13, 2008
We're getting a Sonic; a new pizza place on Main Street; a new BBQ place on Highway 61 - what else could you want in the line of restaurants?
wondering

Washington, IN

#15 Apr 13, 2008
whos putting in a bbq place...
Bump

AOL

#16 Apr 14, 2008
Bump
Suburb citizen

Gideon, MO

#17 Apr 14, 2008
What kind of new pizza place is it?
I Would Just Say

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Apr 14, 2008
What many people fail to realize when they say they want this business or that business to come into town is that it takes local townspeople to support these businesses. Yes, the prices may be higher than if you went to WALMART, but how much is local service and business worth?

Also, please admire the people who put in Sonic and McDonalds. Franchises are MAJOR investments & they cost the same whether they are in Cape or in Portageville. Where would you rather invest your money? Many franchises won't even consider allowing someone to put their brand here due to the small population and economics of the community.

Just keep in mind - patronize and appreciate what you have!
outdoors man

United States

#19 Apr 15, 2008
I am thinking of puting in a sporting goods store. Is ther enough intrest in this town for this it will have a little of everything. Then you wont have to go to wally world to get what you need,

Since: Mar 08

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Apr 15, 2008
how does a new computer store sound? im sure someone on here has a slow system that needs updated. ive wanted to open a computer store for years now and portageville seems like a good town to be in. anything from updates to brand new systems with neon lights and clear cases to memory upgrades. any thoughts??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portageville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone Thu Lol 7
sara nolen (Jul '15) Wed beenthere 27
Fam trucking and Halfords station Tue concerned friend 2
lee hedrick (Feb '15) Tue hey there 12
Fake Sick Apr 26 Cough Cough 9
Jenny Shelly Apr 25 Guest 5
Joyce Lancaster Apr 23 Ash 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portageville Mortgages