Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Jul 21, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wanttoknow

Portage, MI

#1 Oct 22, 2007
Seems to me Mediacom cable would be providing high speed to the village of Mattawan and Antwerp Township by now. Does anyone know when we can expect this to happen?
Never

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Dec 17, 2007
2 days after hell freezes over
Dan Soard

Kalamazoo, MI

#3 Feb 13, 2008
I have no clue. I have friends right outside of Mattawan getting Verison, Comcast, ect, and their farther out in the boonies than I am!
DSL less

Long Island City, NY

#4 Oct 2, 2008
I'm right on the village line. Its a bunch of crap we can't get hi speed
wareagle

Decatur, MI

#5 Oct 11, 2008
you can get high speed internet in mattawan now.
Internet 2000 has towers in town now. contact them.
Bristolsbabydadd y

United States

#6 Oct 12, 2008
You can get high speed in the village through Verizon.
BrownStone Resident

Muskegon, MI

#7 Jun 1, 2010
Bristolsbabydaddy wrote:
You can get high speed in the village through Verizon.
I live in the BrownStone neighborhood and am very close to the entrance on Trumpet Lane. I have had Verizon DSL at my house since it was built in 2005. The service is okay although it's been limited to 1.5MB service from the very start.
I really wish that Verizon would upgrade their equipment so that they can offer faster packages. I work from home and 1.5MB is just not fast enough. Even for watching videos and games it's not that great.
BrownStone has a major problem because the neighborhood was not originally trenched with Cable lines in the ground. So, it doesn't appear that ANY cable company will cover us. This is a huge issue for those of us that don't like satellite and slow internet.
I've been trying to secure cable for a long time now and it appears hopeless. I thought Comcast was the provider for the territory but it turns out it's MediaCom.
Don't buy your verizon or AT&T DSL from I2000 because it's better to get it directly from the real carrier instead of hiring a middle man. Verizon DSL works 99% of the time and will be a good choice for most. However, power users will not be thrilled.
I really hope that Verizon and/or Mediacom step up there game and realize that there are lots of people willing to pay for fast internet in the neighborhood. Afterall, there are 165 families that live here!
BrownStone Resident

Delton, MI

#8 Dec 15, 2010
I have an update for those of you in Mattawan, MI who are north of I-94. I was sick of the slow DSL service provided by Frontier (which previously was Verizon, but Frontier bought out their rural DSL operations) and I found and switched to a new wireless provider that is double the speed!

The company is Message Express Internet ( http://www.mei.net ) and they are affiliated with Barry County Telephone Company. I've had their 3Mb download / 1Mb upload wireless internet service for over a month now and I am *very* impressed with the service.

The technology behind the service is wireless and is delivered through a Wimax tower located at West Main (m-43) and 4th street. It provides excellent coverage to a good portion of Mattawan (north of I-94)

I was a bit hesitant to go wireless since I work from home quite a bit. However, the service has been great in all conditions (rain, snow, storms, etc..) So I'm very pleased and have been telling everyone. The installer (Jerry) handles most of the installations around Mattawan and he did a great job! He attached the wireless receiver to the top edge of my house and then hid the wire in the trim of my siding. We then drilled a small hole into the basement and connected it to my router. That was it! Took about an hour I'd say.

MEI.net still doesn't have a great presence on the web yet but don't let that fool you. Their service is great and I highly recommend it. In fact, I've been helping spread the word because I'm so thankful for a faster option.

Finally, if you do decide to call Message Express Internet and switch to their service, please tell them that you saw this message and that "Tavis" referred you. They will give me a free month of service and I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully you are like me and are in Mattawan and want a faster connection and if so, you cannot go wrong with MEI.net !

Regards,
-Tavis, a BrownStone Resident
Almena Township Resident

Delton, MI

#9 Jan 19, 2011
I have to agree with Brownstone Resident. After years of pleading with Verizon (and then Frontier) to route high speed internet service further north into Almena township, we finally gave up. By word of mouth we heard about Message Express Internet ( mei.net ). Weíve had MEIís 3 Mbps download /.5 Mbps upload service for four months now and couldnít be happier. We also have their $19.95 / month unlimited phone service, and ditched the landline. Cost-wise itís about the same as what we paid for phone service + long distance + dial-up internet. The phone service almost always sounds as good as normal telephone service. Itís much better than the USB connected VoIP phones which you can buy, plus you donít have to leave a computer running 24/7. I plugged the VoIP box, router, and WiMax transmitter into an uninterruptible power supply, so we donít lose phone service during a power outage. We havenít noticed a single loss of service with MEI.

The WiMax tower is on the opposite side of some 345 kV transmission lines near our house, so I was a bit worried about reception. To date there have been no problems what so ever, even during snow when there can be corona discharge on the power lines. Every time I do an internet speed check, the throughput is at almost exactly the advertised values. We can be watching streaming video, play online video games, and use the phone, all at the same time, without any trouble. Not having the phone tied up (three kids) with dial-up internet is a real blessing.

MEIís customer service had been superb. Jerry the installer was on top of his game, right on time, and had everything working the first time within about an hour. Both timeís Iíve called customer service in Delton,(once to set up e-mail accounts, and once for clarification on our bill) someone answered immediately and took care of business. The only trouble Iíve had was of my own doing. The phone line connecting the VoIP box with the phones in my home had a broken connecter snap, which allowed the connection to loosen, resulting in some crackling noise. No more problems after replacing the line.

Like Brownstone Resident, I canít recommend MEI enough.
Karlee

Plainwell, MI

#10 Jan 19, 2011
wareagle wrote:
you can get high speed internet in mattawan now.
Internet 2000 has towers in town now. contact them.
MEI is also available. Great carrier-class service including data and voice. Uses all FCC licensed WiMax gear!! mei.net
MEI Guy

United States

#11 Jan 20, 2011
I wish to thank BrownStone Resident, Travis, and Almena Township Resident for their favorable remarks. Our staff works hard to assure that we provide high quality service. We are happy that Jerry has been able to meet your expectations.

We don't have the $millions Comcast spends to to promote themselves on the Internet so our name does not appear at the top of search engine listings.

We certainly appreciate the compliments and the links since they help us increase our visibility and our ability to provide better service to everyone.

Enter your street address on our web page to see if our service is available in your neighborhood.

Bob Fisher, CEO, mei.net
Anonymous

United States

#12 Feb 14, 2011
Never. Move to south haven
Brad

Kalamazoo, MI

#13 Feb 21, 2011
Currently Bloomindale Communications is rolling out a fiber optic network in Mattawan. They are using simulus money and their plans were approved by the Village of Mattawan in July of 2009. They are already in Paw Paw and will probably have service up in Mattawan by this fall. Their packages include tv, telephone and internet with peak speeds of 20mbps down.

I'm really excited about this because the only alternatives were wireless, which I'm not crazy about, and Verizon DSL which won't even hook up my house even though I'm in the service area.
Gamer

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Mar 16, 2011
We're on Frontier and have their 5M service but barely seem to get 1-2M out of it.

I live with my boyfriend and we're both gamers. Neither of us can do anything at the same time on the computer because of the terrible latency. Its horrendous!

I wish there were an alternative, but comcast stops about 2000 feet up our street.

We're in the weird area between Antwerp and Mattawan, and it sucks.

Neither Bloomingdale or MEI seem to have service for us. Do we have ANY alternative besides moving?
Chris Schultz

United States

#15 Nov 27, 2011
It sucks. I live off of 44th avenue. I've looked everywhere for internet because I run a website called www.babblestuff.com and have been forced to use crappy wireless from Verizon. I've been able to do a lot more to it since I am deployed now to Afghanistan. Kinda sad I gstill better internet now.
Mike

Edwardsburg, MI

#16 Aug 13, 2012
Seems like things have not changed. I also live in the Antwerp/mattawan area where there seems to be lacking in decent service. I wish Comcast would move the line in my neighbor hood, it's lright across the street.
bill

Sturgis, MI

#17 Nov 4, 2012
i live on 60 th ave in mattawan and i can get media comm cable but not there internt. wtf. internet companies why dont u go hire some workers to get the job done. its about to b 2013 and we started this convo in 2007 hello
Antwerp Resident

Paw Paw, MI

#18 Jan 10, 2013
I looked at MEI, I would be surprised if they had much of a customer base. They are charging a ridiculous 200 or 150 dollar set-up fee depending on whether you go with 1/mbps or 3/mbps service, and a monthly fee of 50 or 70 dollars a month. Why would you ever use them over Comcast or charter or at&t when they offer plans that are way faster and much cheaper. I will stick with frontier at 3/mbps for 43 dollars a month, only b/c the other three i mentioned are not available.
Mattawan Resident

Muskegon, MI

#19 Apr 19, 2013
I'v been dealing with slow internet speeds for years. I recently found this website by AT@T the more people that are interested in service in an are the more likely they are to expand to you! So fill out the short form and lets see if we can get Better internet For everyone.

http://uverse.us/NotifyMe
Mattawan Resident

United States

#20 Nov 13, 2013
I recently moved to the northern part of Mattawn, and am completely blown away at the fact that there is no really good internet service. I can get cable but not internet??? I called frontier and they are tapped out on the lines, put my order on hold, and only offer 8MB ( LOL ) is this still 1999 or what? I am going to contact MEI.net and hope that they can offer me some good wireless, as it appears Frontier is way slow and unreliable even when you have the service. I want up to 20MB but it appears that this part of Michigan is quite a bit slower than most and way behind the times.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking For Online Musicians Aug 26 bertino12 2
MDOT: Oct. 11 contractor deadline for freeway o... Aug 25 Steve 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
Trina L. Peake, 25, charged with murder in Kala... (Apr '12) Aug 21 mistycole 6
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi Aug 19 Dan and Pam A 9
Review: Spring Lake Campground (Aug '09) Aug 18 jst_lee at yahoo ... 233
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Aug 17 Capital Airlines 795
•••
•••
•••

Portage Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Portage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Portage News, Events & Info