Two teens arrested for violent beating

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

Two teens are in custody after they violently beat a man in Kalamazoo. Investigators say a 37-year-old Kalamazoo man staggered into a business in the 3600 block of Vanrick after suffering severe injuries to his ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Allen

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

As a public safety issue, people who do that should never be allowed into society again. They are sick and we don't know how to fix them. Concern for future harm to more victims should weigh heavily on society's conscious.

Have compassion but ask yourself... could you have done such a thing? No. These are highly abnormal and dangerous men. At least have equal compassion for future victims. Keep them locked up as long as legally possible, and after that... perhaps in an asylum for the violent mentally ill.
dominique

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

who would do such a thing to a strangered probably homeless man
anon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

i absolutely agree with this comment i was a customer in the establishment where this man came into and i have never seen such an attack on an innocent person these two suspects deserve any and ever punishment they receive
anon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

this man was a customer in the building i had seen him earlier he was no threat to anyone
nicki

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

someone needs to proofread these articles before they are posted online for everyone to read.
chris

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

To bad he did'nt have a CCW.
Donna

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

What is wrong with our society today? Every day I read of terrible crimes committed by hateful and uncaring people. Don't these CRIMINALS care about anyone or don't they expect to be punished? I feel very concerned that so many young people can be so full of hatred.I have 7 grandchildren and who knows where they will end up. Hopefully not going out in the world committing some heinous crime.
anthony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

i hope this is not amusing (CCW) to you chris in allegan. I can't think of one good reason to do this sort of thing to any one.
Frank

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Donna wrote:
What is wrong with our society today? Every day I read of terrible crimes committed by hateful and uncaring people. Don't these CRIMINALS care about anyone or don't they expect to be punished? I feel very concerned that so many young people can be so full of hatred.I have 7 grandchildren and who knows where they will end up. Hopefully not going out in the world committing some heinous crime.
Donna, many are a product of parents who werent around much for them, they hung playing violent video games, seeing violent movies on film and television, dealt with no real parental love and turned to others like them because so they felt alone. It all adds up to someone not caring about others, jealousy or not having a conscience. The govt knew this when they made it a crime to discipline your child firmly. They need to deal with criminals on a stricter level, not slap their hands so the govt can grow bigger and more greedy off our taxes. Imagine the rich people making money right now off contracts from govt expenditures for police, fire, and school safety to name a few? A police car in 5 years is going to cost like 200,000 dollars each and taxes pay for that. The fire trucks will claim they need to be safer and they will cost like a million or more each. The people making these products are happy. The tax payer is the loser again. The number one excuse for these prices? Safety. What is causing the need for safety? Crime. What's causing crime? Lack of punishment and fear by the criminals. The govt has kids they want to see get good jobs, and where else but a secure job with the govt? But to do that, they need to create positions. If the govt doesnt change and they keep making decisions without listening to what the public wants, it wont be safe for anyone.
4o4err0r

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Wait a sec...
"I hope they get what they deserve..."
"Are they Mexicans?"
"...these CRIMINALS..."

Where is the call for "until proven guilt?" We know someone's been beaten. Two men were arrested in relationship to the evidence. That's about it at this point. I hope justice is served.. in due process and without racial prejudice.

It's this kind of hair trigger bigotry that contributes to the decay of society.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

4o4err0r wrote:
Wait a sec...
"I hope they get what they deserve..."
"Are they Mexicans?"
"...these CRIMINALS..."
Where is the call for "until proven guilt?" We know someone's been beaten. Two men were arrested in relationship to the evidence. That's about it at this point. I hope justice is served.. in due process and without racial prejudice.
It's this kind of hair trigger bigotry that contributes to the decay of society.
To simply declare bigotry because someone asks national origin is short sighted. This is a major issue in this country when you add up the number of people who do not belong in our country and commit crimes. Just look up www.outragedpatriots.org and review the various crimes committed in our country. The thugs who did this should get 25 years at least
Truth 007

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Does it matter what nationality the suspects are, really???? People give me a break!!!
GR Mich

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

I hope this guy comes out OK and survives.
I don't care what race they are, just as long as they get punished. These people that do these sick acts of violence need to just be put away to never see the light of day ever again.
Anytime you go out anywhere these days you have this crap to worry about. Am I going to get beat by some random sick p.o.s. just because they felt like it? Things like this happening is the reason of why I have a CCW.
goober

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Are they football players again?
peaceful patriot

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Batch 37 Pain is Good wrote:
<quoted text>
To simply declare bigotry because someone asks national origin is short sighted. This is a major issue in this country when you add up the number of people who do not belong in our country and commit crimes. Just look up www.outragedpatriots.org and review the various crimes committed in our country. The thugs who did this should get 25 years at least
This website allows one to receive Ann Coulter's newsletter for free...makes a lot of sense, she is a huge bigot.

Most of us don't belong in this country-we just need to learn to work together, as one community. Complaining about the problem doesn't work, but finding constructive things to do for these young men does.
goober

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

peaceful patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
This website allows one to receive Ann Coulter's newsletter for free...makes a lot of sense, she is a huge bigot.
Most of us don't belong in this country-we just need to learn to work together, as one community. Complaining about the problem doesn't work, but finding constructive things to do for these young men does.
Where are you from? Because,I belong here and so do the rest of my legal citizen neighbors. They are from all walks of life but legal nonetheless. I do not think you can help some people. And yet, if they are young enough perhaps....
Shaking my head

Byron Center, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

peaceful patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Complaining about the problem doesn't work, but finding constructive things to do for these young men does.
Like making license plates for a nice, long time? Sounds like a plan to me!
peaceful patriot

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

It seems like everyone wants the "easy" solution-that solves nothing.

These teens did a terrible thing...awful, inexcusible, and something that they should be punished for. But there is hope for all...and giving up on teens is not an option for me (I have worked with at-risk teens, directing them in positive ways)for over a decade.

I am lucky my (still happily married, church-going) parents let me live through my teens. And I refuse to give up on people.

Every person is valuable...and frankly (without trying to gear up a political debate) in West Michigan, people will millitantly fight for the life of a three-week old fetus. Why do they throw people away so easily after they are born?
notsurprised

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I know of the 19 year old from Portage. He is a habitual offender. He has been physically violent with girls, has stolen a vehicle, abuses drugs, is a high school dropout, yet was on probation. I am sure he had very poor upbringing. I hope he grows old in prison.
Allen

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

"But there is hope for all...and giving up on teens is not an option for me"

Good for you! SO... they are moving in next door to you. Thanks for volunteering!

I choose not to punish the GOOD teens by making them go to school with psychopaths. You... choose who you support I guess and just crap on the good kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Portage Discussions

Search the Portage Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Summit Polymers (Jul '11) Wed wondering 5
Review: Spring Lake Campground (Aug '09) Wed help 218
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Wed gabe wilder 794
'Serious concerns' raised about new judge assig... Wed Rick 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Wed gottondas 5,482
One, two, three ... Blast off Wed Free Kwame 1
Michael E. Guernsey KZ8O (Oct '07) Jul 22 ben dover 34
•••
•••
•••
•••

Portage Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••