How widespread is heroin problem?

How widespread is heroin problem?

There are 61 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 13, 2008, titled How widespread is heroin problem?. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Amy Bousfield never recovered from the drug overdose that led her mother to call 9-1-1. Now, two people are charged with supplying her the heroin that killed her.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Deep Thinker

Troy, MI

#1 Aug 13, 2008
Heroin addiction is out of control-especially in the suburbs. This was considered an "inner city" issue until it began to effect others.

Kids and families need to be educated on how deadly this drug is.
bridge card holder

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Aug 13, 2008
It is everywhere and I know because Im the one who is selling it .
weird

United States

#3 Aug 13, 2008
I've never seen anyone do anything harder then pot. And I've been to many parties in my day.:)

I'm 28 years old and grew up in the suburbs. Maybe I just hung out with a better crowd then most...
No way

Saint Joseph, MI

#4 Aug 13, 2008
bridge card holder wrote:
Ya right.
pjdutchville

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2008
Why don't we make an example of the 2 people who allegedly sold her the heroin? If they are guilty, give them an overdose. Don't forget to alcohol swab their arms first...wouldn't want to end up in HELL and be sick too!
starry

Holland, MI

#6 Aug 13, 2008
The sellers should not be charged with any crime other than selling an illegal drug. They did not make the kids take the heroin. I know this sounds calus but heroin has been around since my moms childhood and she is 85 years old.
CIA and DEA

United States

#7 Aug 13, 2008
If you go to your taxpayer funded websites like the department of justice, they maintain statistics and information.

What is particularly interesting is a report issued from the DEA which concludes that our own government is responsible for the (crack) cocaine epidemic.

Then Gov. William Jefferson Clinton was knowingly and willfully allowing arms smugglers to use his Arkansas airports to funnel guns to the south america in a deal later known as "The Iran Contra affair".(that's when President Reagan got Alzheimers disease and Col. Oliver North, Fox News golden boy, got prison)

In exchange for the arms smuggled to south america, buttloads and planeloads of cocaine was brought back to the states. It was rocked up and distributed within urban america. We see how "widespread" of a problem that became. We also know that it didn't stay restricted to urban america. Though urban america is the hardest hit in terms of social and moral decay.

Now comes herion. It is the "crack" of the 90's. Trust me when I tell you, it's not only widespread, it's unmanagable. The 'war' on drugs has done nothing to combat the 'use' of drugs. It never will.

The Reagan's "Just Say No" is about as hypocritical as Bill Clinton or John Edwards preaching abstinence.
Larry

Hudsonville, MI

#8 Aug 13, 2008
Oh, so now authorities say there is a heroin problem. They've spent the last 10-15 years publicly denying it, but boasting about the marijuana busts that they make. Do you wonder who has control of any negative publicity (truth) about Grand Rapids HEAVY drug problem?????
What a pathetic joke. Kids have been dying from drug overdoses from every illegal drug except pot, but the authorities have been spending drug 'prevention" and busting money on finding pot growers and sellers. How brave they are.....puke......
It's time for Grand Rapids and surrounding burbs to call their police, and federal drug agents, and demand action against the makers, dealers and sellers of meth, heroin, coke, acid and whatever else is killing us. Many of our citizens are personally affected by these drugs, either with a family member, friend, or other relative. Deaths of overdoses are not reported as
such. I have never heard of such tragedy from someone using pot. Oh, by the way, it's not just our kids using the hard drugs..nor is it just the average person...the professionals are the worst...and it's time we check the business going on in the "high"rises in GR, and take away their safety net.

Snowrider

Detroit, MI

#9 Aug 13, 2008
bridge card holder wrote:
Sure you are....Shouldn't you be watching "Power Rangers" or "Spongebob" right now?
What now

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Aug 13, 2008
starry wrote:
The sellers should not be charged with any crime other than selling an illegal drug. They did not make the kids take the heroin. I know this sounds calus but heroin has been around since my moms childhood and she is 85 years old.
I agree. It's not like they forced her to take it. Everyone should be responsible for their OWN actions, not everyone elses.
Fred Krueger

United States

#11 Aug 13, 2008
I've got no problem with it - I don't do it and I don't care what other people or their kids choose to do and long as they keep it to themselves.
d tothe b

Kalamazoo, MI

#12 Aug 13, 2008
Overweight people have weight watchers
Alcoholics have AA
Heroin addicts, what do they get? Ah yes prison.

If our government was truly interested in saving lives they would take articles like this more seriously. From NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
johnny5

Detroit, MI

#13 Aug 13, 2008
Drugs are here,have been forever & aren't going away.The jails & prisons are full & we could double the space & fill them up again & it won't make the "problem" go away. How about drug education in the schools & I don't mean "just say no!" but teach the kids how to be responsible drug users so that tragedies like this won't happen as often.
Fred Krueger

United States

#14 Aug 13, 2008
d tothe b wrote:
Overweight people have weight watchers
Alcoholics have AA
Heroin addicts, what do they get? Ah yes prison.
Never heard of Narcotics Anonymous?
Overweight people have the choice not to overeat, alcoholics have the choice not to drink. Everyone has choices. I do agree that prison space should be for violent offenders and not for someone caught with drugs.
Just Saying

Saint Joseph, MI

#15 Aug 13, 2008
People who put tht poison in their bodies and die, die of an accidental overdose. Accident only.
Yes those who sold the drug and provided it are resposible for selling illeagal drugs, but not of murder.
Unless they were the ones who put it in her system.
Just say NO

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Aug 13, 2008
My husbands cousin died of an OD a few years ago and nobody was charged in his death, he started to have convolsions right in frount of them in their house and they didnt call for help cuz they didnt want to get busted, a girl that stoped by when all that was going on tried to call for help but they wouldnt let her unless she took him out of their house and drove him the the ER and never say where he was when it all happened. Drugs is a dark and selfish world. Its sad when someone is about to die right in frount of you and the first and only thing you think about is not helping cuz its not your problem and you dont want to get busted for having the drugs. These "people" just moved him out from the middle of the room off to the side so he wasnt in their way. Very sad when your "friends" just push you aside like your going to be ok or something.

“VOTE PROZAC PATTY 2016”

Since: Aug 08

Prozac Usa

#17 Aug 13, 2008
CIA and DEA wrote:
If you go to your taxpayer funded websites like the department of justice, they maintain statistics and information.
What is particularly interesting is a report issued from the DEA which concludes that our own government is responsible for the (crack) cocaine epidemic.
Then Gov. William Jefferson Clinton was knowingly and willfully allowing arms smugglers to use his Arkansas airports to funnel guns to the south america in a deal later known as "The Iran Contra affair".(that's when President Reagan got Alzheimers disease and Col. Oliver North, Fox News golden boy, got prison)
In exchange for the arms smuggled to south america, buttloads and planeloads of cocaine was brought back to the states. It was rocked up and distributed within urban america. We see how "widespread" of a problem that became. We also know that it didn't stay restricted to urban america. Though urban america is the hardest hit in terms of social and moral decay.
Now comes herion. It is the "crack" of the 90's. Trust me when I tell you, it's not only widespread, it's unmanagable. The 'war' on drugs has done nothing to combat the 'use' of drugs. It never will.
The Reagan's "Just Say No" is about as hypocritical as Bill Clinton or John Edwards preaching abstinence.
All True! All True!

If I am elected president, I will legalize drugs.

Then I will take the "War on Drugs" money and open up offices where drug dealer hunting licenses will be printed and issued. Only those with tested expert marksman skills will be issued a license.

Just like we have "deer hunting" seasons to thin the herd, we will have "drug dealer hunting" seasons to thin that herd as well.

VOTE PROZAC PATTY 2016!
Mom

Byron Center, MI

#18 Aug 13, 2008
You know, there are overdoses in the black community, too. No one pays any attention to that. Funny how a white, middle class kid in Portage overdoses and dies, and it is suddenly a problem we need to address.

Please do not get me wrong. Ami's death was senseless. My heart bleeds for her family. My heart also bleeds for Carrie Wickham's family. We know her and we know her mother. We know many of Ami's friends.

I am a white, middle class woman, and what makes me so damn angry is that these things are not a problem when they affect black children/teenagers. When they happen to the white kids, it all changes. If it were a bunch of black kids from GRPS, people would be hollering that it is the fault of the parents, and if they were doing their jobs right, this wouldn't happen.

Certainly we need to address the problems of drug abuse. We need to work together to keep kids busy and on the right track. What we really need to do, however, is care about ALL children.
Sister of an addict

Big Rapids, MI

#19 Aug 13, 2008
Heroin does not only touch kids or inner city folks, it destroys families. Addiction has no boundaries, it will get you when you least expect it. My brother got caught up in the smaller things which led to bigger things and now hes very sick. He was well respected in the community. Does anyone have any idea what it is like to watch the spiral into addiction hell and know that someday you are going to get that call...and theres not a single thing you can do? I think anyone who deals it should be sentenced to life... life as an addict on a desert Island... string em out until they are so dope sick that they will sell their soul to the devil himself for one last fix....then let his or her sister go to their Mom and say..."johnny dealer overdosed today" My heart goes out to any family that has to deal with this hell on earth
Deep Thinker wrote:
Heroin addiction is out of control-especially in the suburbs. This was considered an "inner city" issue until it began to effect others.
Kids and families need to be educated on how deadly this drug is.

“VOTE PROZAC PATTY 2016”

Since: Aug 08

Prozac Usa

#20 Aug 13, 2008
Sister of an addict wrote:
I think anyone who deals it should be sentenced to life... <quoted text>
That's too expensive and it keeps the child molesters out on the streets.

I propose we issue licenses like we do for wild game, then hunt them down and shoot them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Facebook post of police officer mowing lawn for... Tue CTCT 1
Michael E. Guernsey KZ8O (Oct '07) Tue Nemesis 41
What Is Wrong With Kazoo? Jul 27 yup 2
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi (Mar '14) Jul 13 Steve 45
News Free college? It doesn't fix everything Jul 13 Richard Start 1
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Jun 29 athenapeach 804
kz8o nd8v (Oct '07) Jun 29 CDN 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portage Mortgages