Crash victims remembered two years later

There are 18 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 15, 2008, titled Crash victims remembered two years later. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Three teenagers were remembered Thursday two years to the day they were involved in a fatal accident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

mamma

Battle Creek, MI

#1 Aug 15, 2008
Wow, up to 2 years in prison for 3 deaths. Sounds fair to me I guess. What do I know. When that kid decided to go after that SUV he made a decision... 2 years of his life for that? How sad. Talk about getting away with murder
john

Zeeland, MI

#2 Aug 15, 2008
Yes this is really sad. But what would of happen if he stayed home and just called the police? Nothing. Now he pays for his actions.
heather

Greenville, MI

#3 Aug 15, 2008
it sad any way you look at
rod

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Aug 15, 2008
What would have happened if they hadn't harassed someone else in the first place that night?
wonder

Lansing, MI

#5 Aug 15, 2008
Everyone involved in this tragic crash shares in the blame. It all started with their decision to harrass the kid's brother, and if they had just stayed home, nothing would have happened. It is a shame they died, but they were hoodlums, not my idea of someone to honor.
Frank

Warren, MI

#7 Aug 15, 2008
I bet Goodwin didn't have a public defender. Public defenders are a sure way of being found guilty. You pay for your "justice".
Take your medicine

United States

#8 Aug 15, 2008
wonder wrote:
Everyone involved in this tragic crash shares in the blame. It all started with their decision to harrass the kid's brother, and if they had just stayed home, nothing would have happened. It is a shame they died, but they were hoodlums, not my idea of someone to honor.
Ponder, you will likely catch a lot of flak for your comments above, but I can't help but agree with you to some degree. While I am not Buddhist, I do believe in Karma to some degree (and NO, I am NOT saying these kids deserved to die for harassing someone), but it just goes to show that sometimes one's actions lead to greater consequences. Put yourself in situations you shouldn't be and at some point it will come back to get you. I just pray that my children make better decisions and have better things to do than to intimidate and harass other people when they are older.

Bottomline, those kids should not have been harassing anyone and had they not been, they would still be alive today. The whole story is truly sad and I do feel for both families as this is a case where nobody wins.
Not to be rude

United States

#9 Aug 15, 2008
But didn't a fourth boy die about a year later? Why isn't he being remembered?
Mark

Knoxville, TN

#10 Aug 15, 2008
mamma wrote:
Wow, up to 2 years in prison for 3 deaths. Sounds fair to me I guess. What do I know. When that kid decided to go after that SUV he made a decision... 2 years of his life for that? How sad. Talk about getting away with murder
Negligent homicide has a maximum sentence of 2 years.

Granted, there were at least 3 deaths, so he could probably have been charged with all 3, but obviously there were extenuating circumstances.
All To Blame

Encino, CA

#11 Aug 15, 2008
Every role in this incident needs to be evaluated. I think this is why the charge and sentence was not murder and as long as some people would want to see.

It is similar to the teens who went to an old farm house at night to harass the farmer. Little did they know he had a shotgun ready for intruders. While it wasn't legally correct to shoot and kill trespassers and he was charged and convicted of manslaughter, the teens took it upon themselves to trespass.

What always seems like a little harmless fun, can turn tragic depending on the roles people play.
sunshine

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Aug 15, 2008
mamma wrote:
All the boys made a decision that day - not a wise decision for any of them, maybe instead of critizing them we can all learn and teach a lesson. We should all learn from others errors not be in judgement and as for the 2 years in jail that is what the courts gave hime - BUT he has to live with it the rest of his life - and the parents of all of the boys have to live with the decisions their boys made that day. It is never a good thing to tease others but it happend - BUT in car - teens do not taking driving serious and what about thowing things out the windows of a moving car - littering. It is a sad lesson and something that can not be taken back, just an eye opener and lesson for others. Have compassion for all of them!!!
Believe

United States

#13 Aug 15, 2008
Not to be rude wrote:
But didn't a fourth boy die about a year later? Why isn't he being remembered?
That boy died from drug overdose, not from injuries sustained in the car accident. I'm sure they honored him in a way, we're just hearing about the boys from the car accident.
eternalsunshine

Wyoming, MI

#14 Aug 19, 2008
wonder wrote:
Hoodlums? really? Thats insane! Did you know them personally? As much as you think you know about them, you really can't judge any of the boys' characters just by this one incident alone. I am sure there have been a few things in your life that you look back on now and arent proud of or wish you could take back. This one just happened to have a tragic outcome.
The truth of the matter is they were loved by many and 2 years later they are still missed very much and its great that people still come together to remember them.
okeN

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Aug 19, 2008
eternalsunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoodlums? really? Thats insane! Did you know them personally? As much as you think you know about them, you really can't judge any of the boys' characters just by this one incident alone. I am sure there have been a few things in your life that you look back on now and arent proud of or wish you could take back. This one just happened to have a tragic outcome.
The truth of the matter is they were loved by many and 2 years later they are still missed very much and its great that people still come together to remember them.
It seems funny that whenever something like this happens, the finger is always pointed back, as in the above post.(I am sure there have been a few things in your life that you look back on now and arent proud of or wish you could take back.) The fact that these boys were loved and are missed has nothing to do with the fact that they were up to no good and paid the ultimite price for being stupid. Too bad they had so little respect for those that are missing them so much now.
eternalsunshine

Wyoming, MI

#16 Aug 19, 2008
The fact that they are loved and missed has a lot to do with the vigil (the topic of this article...)
Love

Kalamazoo, MI

#17 Aug 20, 2008
we love you boys...you will never be forgotten!
Friend

United States

#18 Sep 18, 2008
Honestly, some of these comments make me sick. I knew these boys and went to school with them. That comment above about the hoodlums is completely untrue. They were some of the most loved and respected kids in our school. They were always involved and they came from good backgrounds. Yeah skateboarders may have the stereotype of being hoodlums but they were good, got good grades, and had good friends. If you knew the half of it you would know that the kid in our school they harassed, harassed everyone back then, so, in a way he deserved it. I think his brother in return had NO right to go off on them like that. I think he should have called the cops or called their parents, he was known for having anger problems. I really wish that people would get the facts straight on this whole subject before they start just saying random things like they deserve to die and all of that. Really bothers me. Over 100 kids/students were at each one of their funerals, does that NOT tell you they were loved and respected, people hold a candle light remembrance for the boys at the Portage skate park on the Anniversary of this event every year since it's happened, and people STILL put things all over their graves. If that doesn't say respect then nothing does.

And yes, there was a 4th boy that died that was in that accident, but it wasn't because of the accident, it was an overdose on his medication, and was completely an accident. And he IS remembered. Everyone that goes to our school is close with one another, we're a tight knit school in a way. Anyone that's ever died in our school is always remembered in their own way.
Friend

United States

#19 Sep 18, 2008
and above, I do live in Portage I dk why it says Grand Rapids...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are you folks in Michigan so RUDE for? (Dec '10) 5 hr John 36
Any girls wanna f*ck? May 16 PPHS staff 2
XXX Video store? May 14 Denny 1
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi (Mar '14) May 14 member 35
News Five arrested in Kalamazoo County triple homici... (Mar '07) May 12 shawn 472
News Small Earthquake Reveals Fault in Southwest Kal... May 7 Harry 1
News Livonia's Cloverlanes bowling alley closinga May 6 Seth Tyrssen 2
More from around the web

Portage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]