Comments
201 - 220 of 233 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 18
Laurie

Saint Joseph, MI

#206 Mar 30, 2014
Last week we went to the campground to have our pictures taken for an ID to use to get into the park. We were given a sales pitch to buy another membership that started out at $12,000s, so we could use the sister parks and went down to under $1,200s if we bought it that day. We did not bite into it of course. We were told that we could no longer use the sisters park and the sister parks are no longer accepting Coast to Coast, so we are going to want to buy into this new membership. We were told that we can still use the Coast to Coast if we want to, because we are grandfathered in, but they are no longer using the coast to coast. Once we got home I looked on line and coast to coast is still listing sister parks under their campgrounds. We were given a paper with the new telephone numbers. When my husband gets up today I will get the telephone numbers from him and post them. They told us that the park will open up towards the end of April something to do with Kalamazoo ruling on the water. We were also told to get reservation in the park we needed a 90 reservation.
Taken for a Ride

Grand Rapids, MI

#207 Mar 30, 2014
Laurie:

So, you actually were at the campground and there are people there? Can you post any phone numbers they have that work? Everything I was able to find yesterday (Sat) didn't work, said they were "disconnected" or "no longer in service", and there were several on line Google references that the park is either "closed" or "may be permanently closed"....which was the first I heard of it, until I started digging into it.

I actually had our membership for sale because we cant use it.

Please give more info, if you have.
Thanks
Tedd
Laurie wrote:
Last week we went to the campground to have our pictures taken for an ID to use to get into the park. We were given a sales pitch to buy another membership that started out at $12,000s, so we could use the sister parks and went down to under $1,200s if we bought it that day. We did not bite into it of course. We were told that we could no longer use the sisters park and the sister parks are no longer accepting Coast to Coast, so we are going to want to buy into this new membership. We were told that we can still use the Coast to Coast if we want to, because we are grandfathered in, but they are no longer using the coast to coast. Once we got home I looked on line and coast to coast is still listing sister parks under their campgrounds. We were given a paper with the new telephone numbers. When my husband gets up today I will get the telephone numbers from him and post them. They told us that the park will open up towards the end of April something to do with Kalamazoo ruling on the water. We were also told to get reservation in the park we needed a 90 reservation.
Dennis

Davison, MI

#214 Apr 24, 2014
I joined American Campgrounds in Kalamazoo, MI back in 2000 and was happy with them. My favorite part was being allowed to camp at the sister parks (Outdoor Adventures).

You don't camp for free because everyone has to pay yearly maintenance dues so as long as you camp enough to cover maintenance dues and don't care if you camp at the same campgrounds, it is a good deal.

Just found out that American Campgrounds is no longer sister park with Outdoor Adventures. Value of my membership went down to practically nothing. Now I have to use only American Campgrounds in Kalamazoo, MI which totally suck in comparison to Outdoor Adventures which felt more like a camping resort (if you can get into one).

Now no one responds to my Membership calls with American Campgrounds, they don't give a damn about the people who invested and are just interested in new business. Once they have your money they are done with you.
Donna

Caledonia, MI

#216 May 7, 2014
So what is happening with SPRING LAKE RESORT - American Campgrounds in Kalamzoo as of this date, May 7, 2014?

Word is out that the campground is CLOSED due to the owners' family problem. IS THIS TRUE?

No information has been sent to the lifetime members. How does this membership work if there is no campground to use?
Camper girl

Wayland, MI

#217 May 13, 2014
They called us to have us redo our cards about a month ago, when i told them that we did that LAST year. We have friends who have made reservations, and another calling them as we speak to make his. We haven't yet due to truck/trailer issues, but are hoping to as soon as we can.
Camping

United States

#218 May 14, 2014
The campground is very much open (and already filling up fast for Memorial weekend). I have been camping out there for the last few days. They are getting the store and pool ready to be opened. I was a bit shocked that they did actually open this year, but it is indeed open. Hopefully we might be able to see some improvements out there this year???
upset-gladwin

Plymouth, MI

#221 Jun 18, 2014
5 yrs. dealing with these sales people(jay) WOW Promise the world take your $$$$ Free camp is now $10.00 a night, a week later can't make reservations they won't answer ,won't return messages.That's you Jay ,Becky ,Charlie and Ray Shepard(owner?) What they call customer service rings hollow. Do not trust a handshake with these people. That's what started this mess. I'm just looking for some honor in the men that look you in the eyes and tell you something. I don't think you'll find that at Spring lake sales office . Prove me wrong I'll apologize.
J DeJong

Grand Rapids, MI

#222 Jul 5, 2014
Camping wrote:
The campground is very much open (and already filling up fast for Memorial weekend). I have been camping out there for the last few days. They are getting the store and pool ready to be opened. I was a bit shocked that they did actually open this year, but it is indeed open. Hopefully we might be able to see some improvements out there this year???
I have been trying to reserve one of the cabins for our "free" week in the summer that we paid over $7000 for, but have yet to connect with anyone. I have tried four different phone numbers, two of which are disconnected and the other two I have left messages with, but have gotten no reply. I have also sent an email, but no reply to that either. Today, I called again to both of the numbers that supposedly work. One, I left another message on, the other said the mailbox was full. Is it really open? We don't have a camper, but have enjoyed the cabins for the last five years even though they have added an additional maintenance fee for their use. We have very limited funds, but have always been glad that "at least we'll have our week at the cabin." If you know of another number that I should call, please let me know. I don't want to tell our son that we won't be able to go this year.
J DeJong

Grand Rapids, MI

#223 Jul 5, 2014
current worker wrote:
<quoted text>What ever you are just mad because u were no good at the job!!! you only have to get 10 tours a week and your post is all lies
Please tell me what is happening with Spring Lake Resort. I have left countless phone messages and emails, but have been unable to connect with anyone about reserving one of the cabins for the summer.
Sad son

Hazel Park, MI

#224 Jul 12, 2014
My parents were taken in with promises of all the sister parks and all that sparkles and shines and got pretty much a 7K hole in their bank account which they keep filling with more money paying maintenance fees.

They can't rent the cabins, they can't use the sister camps which is why they joined. Pretty much they have been scammed like a lot of other hard working folks.

The only people that deserve anything in a divorce settlement are the members. The lying stealing owners can have what's left.

I think I finally found what lawyers may be good for, a case like this!
Donna from Novi

Novi, MI

#226 Jul 12, 2014
Laurie wrote:

Read my post 7-12-14
Donna from Novi

Novi, MI

#227 Jul 13, 2014
unhappy in Big Rapids wrote:
I'm sorry to the "current worker" at American Campgrounds. I can empathize with those who feel they have been had---I joined in '03---at the time having a son/grandson living in Allegan.---planned to be to use the membership often. When i bought , the place was well taken care with few places occupied and a "new" section "soon to be added". Had two deaths in family in summer of '04 and early 'o5. In late spring of '06, I went down to have a look-see and found the grounds in terrible shape--grass uncut, trash around and the "new section" was still undeveloped totally--NOT AN ATTRACTIVE PLACE TO CAMP besides my son had to sell their home and moved too far away to make Spring Lake a place I could use. In spring of '07, CONTRARY TO WHAT THEY ADVERTISE---that they will help you sell your membership if that becomes necessary--I was told I had to drive down to K'zoo, and THEN they would help---Help was having a sales agent scream at me literally---while he told me that the ONLY way for them to help was for me to upgrade and give them more money--they already had $4500.00 and I am a widow on limited income....I left a VERY UNHAPPY WOMAN! I paid my memebership dues until March 2008. At this time I wrote them a letter saying that it was impossible for me to continue paying them for something I could not use...that the most I could offer to sell for was $200.00 (according to sales listings that was what others were trying to sell their memberships for) and I was just going to walk away from the whole thing. I GAVE THEM BACK MY WHOLE INTEREST------ I made the mistake of not sending it by return receipt requested and never heard from them until February 2010 when I got 3 nasty phone calls from a California collection agency trying to collect the fees that had built up from March ,2008! I told them I would notify the Michigan Attorney General's office. I heard nothing until Dec,2010 when I received a letter a Dawn Martin suggesting that if I would pay half of the accrued charges they foret the whole thing. Instead of that I am going to finish p[ursueing the issue with the AG's office. I second the warning BUYER BEWARE!!! DO NOT JOIN---there are too many nice campgrounds around that one would have NO problems with! Good luck to all who are in the same boat as I! As a widow of 72 and now on Soc Sec-- I pray that you all have a quicker re-dress than I have had!
Sure would like to know how it has turned out for you.
Just not right

Novi, MI

#230 Jul 17, 2014
Why has my negative posting of Spring Lake Resort been removed 3 times after I have had to repost it? Is there a reason it is being blocked?
Just not right

Novi, MI

#235 Jul 19, 2014
Again my negative review of Spring Lake Resort has been deleted. I could understand it if I was posting lies but reposting their newsletter and the results of my responding to the newsletter hardly should be cause for deletion. All in all stay away from them. Read all the reviews you can find before you make a decision.

I will continue to post on all review sites I find to make people aware of their negative practices with their members.
Laurie

South Haven, MI

#236 Jul 19, 2014
Sad son wrote:
My parents were taken in with promises of all the sister parks and all that sparkles and shines and got pretty much a 7K hole in their bank account which they keep filling with more money paying maintenance fees.
They can't rent the cabins, they can't use the sister camps which is why they joined. Pretty much they have been scammed like a lot of other hard working folks.
The only people that deserve anything in a divorce settlement are the members. The lying stealing owners can have what's left.
I think I finally found what lawyers may be good for, a case like this!

Can I get more information on the lawyer that you referred to?
Laurie

South Haven, MI

#237 Jul 19, 2014
I would like to learn more about lawyers that might be able to help with getting rid of my membership, due to all the lies
Not a happy camper1

Novi, MI

#240 Jul 20, 2014
A lot of post's are being removed that have negative remarks. I'm guessing SLR is reporting them as being abusive. If they are on the up and up what are they so afraid of their members finding out?
help

Allendale, MI

#241 Jul 23, 2014
I'm with many of you. If anybody finds a way to get any money back, a lawyer that will help or anybody that has gotten a response from the AG please let me know. I
vikki

South Haven, MI

#242 Tuesday Aug 5
ive been a member since 1999. is the campground open???? you cant call them.
vikki

South Haven, MI

#243 Tuesday Aug 5
how do you call them?? i am going to drive there today! will let you know if they are open.
Camping wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking For Online Musicians Aug 26 bertino12 2
MDOT: Oct. 11 contractor deadline for freeway o... Aug 25 Steve 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
Trina L. Peake, 25, charged with murder in Kala... (Apr '12) Aug 21 mistycole 6
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi Aug 19 Dan and Pam A 9
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Aug 17 Capital Airlines 795
Newborn Paw Paw baby shares birthday with mom a... Aug 15 Starlett Rawlings 1
•••
•••
•••

Portage Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Portage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••