Restaurant owner threatened at gunpoi...

Restaurant owner threatened at gunpoint in parking lot

There are 27 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Restaurant owner threatened at gunpoint in parking lot. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A suspected robber threatened the owner of a Portage restaurant at gunpoint in the parking lot after work Wednesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
crime is crime

Grand Rapids, MI

#23 Jul 17, 2008
bars and restaurants will replace banks as the new soft targets for robberies. It happened a few days ago in Grand Rapids and it'll happen elsewhere. These institutions have been crime free (for the most part) for so long that many owners and managers have become quite lax when it comes to security.

In the Grand Rapids incident, why would you possibly leave any door open at the end of the night? There are no patrons as witnesses and you're just a sitting target with a fair amound of cash in hand. And the idiotic thing about the GR bar incident is this isn't their first robbery...just the first to be in the news. Since they've opened last fall, there have been about 4 muggings of patrons after they've left. And the most recent was actually one week before their last incident in which 2 patrons were robbed at gunpoint.

Truth is, criminals will find the easy targets, and this place has done more harm to the neighborhood because of the owners cavalier attitude that all these incidents are isolated.

This gentleman in Portage was quite lucky nothing more serious happened, and he'd be smart to revue his closing procedures to make sure no one leaves alone.
Seriously

United States

#24 Jul 17, 2008
Another Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I completely disagree with previous posters suggesting that we should have guns to protect ourselves in these situations. That would never work and would only lead to more unnecessary deaths.
Statistically - you could not be more wrong. Although I respect your right to your own opinion - I can not understand your point of view. Now, if you are under the impression that 'pro gun' people are saying that everyone needs to go out and start carrying a gun - that is a misinterpretation.'Pro Gun' are saying - wake up - take classes - get educated on personal protection (of any form) and stop being a victim and letting these thugs take our city and/or our lives. Protect yourself and your family 'legally'. If you're completely dead set against a weapon - take a different kind of self defense class. Make yourself aware of what is out there. If you keep your eyes closed and your head turned the other way and just hope that someone else is going to take care of the situation - or that youll be able to kindly ask the nice burglar man to see the err in his ways - you are sadly mistaken.
I'm not Pro Violence in any way. But I am a WOMAN - and I believe I/we have the right to defend ourselves. Things are going to get worse before they get better.
A Customer

Wyoming, MI

#25 Jul 17, 2008
My husband and I eat at Mulligans once a week. The food and atmosphere is great. My thoughts are with the owner and staff, this is a terrible thing to go through. He was brave in running, I am glad it didn't end in a bad way.
No Deal

Battle Creek, MI

#26 Jul 17, 2008
Mike wrote:
We need stonger nylon control laws.
Actually we need more trees to run around to get away.
the Binkman

East Lansing, MI

#27 Jul 17, 2008
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Statistically - you could not be more wrong. Although I respect your right to your own opinion - I can not understand your point of view. Now, if you are under the impression that 'pro gun' people are saying that everyone needs to go out and start carrying a gun - that is a misinterpretation.'Pro Gun' are saying - wake up - take classes - get educated on personal protection (of any form) and stop being a victim and letting these thugs take our city and/or our lives. Protect yourself and your family 'legally'. If you're completely dead set against a weapon - take a different kind of self defense class. Make yourself aware of what is out there. If you keep your eyes closed and your head turned the other way and just hope that someone else is going to take care of the situation - or that youll be able to kindly ask the nice burglar man to see the err in his ways - you are sadly mistaken.
I'm not Pro Violence in any way. But I am a WOMAN - and I believe I/we have the right to defend ourselves. Things are going to get worse before they get better.
I totally agree.
Hmmm

United States

#28 Jul 17, 2008
Has anyone noticed lately how much time WOOD TV gives to crime and mayhem in the Kazoo area? What's up with that?
Minding Your Business

Grand Rapids, MI

#29 Jul 20, 2008
Dutch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There should be a background check and a waiting period on all new nylon sales. You should also be required to have a permit to wear them on your head.
All I can say is LOL!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch Sep 20 Go Blue Forever 2
News Billionaire rescues Michigan city with cash to ... Sep 19 Rick 1
Foreign Links Around the Globe Sep 17 Davis 1
Will Mattawan ever get broadband high speed int... (Oct '07) Sep 4 Mattawan Momma 48
Why are you folks in Michigan so RUDE for? (Dec '10) Aug 27 meee 47
moving here (Jun '15) Jun '15 new 1
News Portage siblings rescued from Lake Michigan in ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 anon77 1

Portage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portage Mortgages