Restaurant owner threatened at gunpoint in parking lot

A suspected robber threatened the owner of a Portage restaurant at gunpoint in the parking lot after work Wednesday night. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
clueless

Holland, MI

#2 Jul 17, 2008
MUDD , Are you that dumb. GROW up!!
Seriously

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 17, 2008
All I can say is: CCW Permit.

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#5 Jul 17, 2008
It took a lot of courage to run. The owner of the restaurant was lucky.
bob

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Jul 17, 2008
OOOOOOhhhh ITS NYLON MAN everybody run!!!!!!!!!!
JUST ME

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#7 Jul 17, 2008
crack headed spear chucker
A Mother

Cicero, NY

#8 Jul 17, 2008
Does it concern anyone that robberys, break ins, voilence is rising at an alarming rate, places getting robbed that have never had a hint of problems, most of these places are in the 'sticks' away from busy areas. I have never been one to want a gun in my home, or even knew how to shoot one, but now...we used to not worry about locking our home up either, but it seems no where is safe anymore.
Ha Ha

United States

#9 Jul 17, 2008
JUST ME wrote:
crack headed spear chucker
They were actually looking for a white guy idiot!!!!!
Mike

Johnson Creek, WI

#10 Jul 17, 2008
We need stonger nylon control laws.
Single Jay

United States

#11 Jul 17, 2008
Ha Ha wrote:
<quoted text>
They were actually looking for a white guy idiot!!!!!
I threw a pretty mean javelin in HighSchool... who the 'eff are you to imply white guys can't chuck a spear.

And how do you know the suspect is an idiot? He DID get away.
Seriously

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jul 17, 2008
A Mother wrote:
Does it concern anyone that robberys, break ins, voilence is rising at an alarming rate, places getting robbed that have never had a hint of problems, most of these places are in the 'sticks' away from busy areas. I have never been one to want a gun in my home, or even knew how to shoot one, but now...we used to not worry about locking our home up either, but it seems no where is safe anymore.
Yes, I've been thinking of the same thing. I live outside of town and it's fairly safe here, but for how long? I don't know about you or any one else out there, but I'm not sitting around waiting. I'm taking classes to learn how to defend myself. It's sad that it's coming down to that.
Dutch

United States

#13 Jul 17, 2008
Mike wrote:
We need stonger nylon control laws.
I agree. There should be a background check and a waiting period on all new nylon sales. You should also be required to have a permit to wear them on your head.
269JeepGuy

Whitehall, MI

#14 Jul 17, 2008
A Mother wrote:
Wait till this recession becomes another "Great Depression". The level of thuggery and violence will compare to that of the third world. Those with the means or will to defend themselves will be the targets. Go get a shotgun for your home. Or more if you want. But dont be empty handed IF the day comes.
Another Mother

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jul 17, 2008
A Mother wrote:
Yes it is very concerning! Research shows that crime and the economy are parallel. When the economy is in the toilet (like it is now and is likely to get worse), incidents of armed robbery, B&E's ,etc. increase. People get more desperate to pay their bills and survive. Also more people are more depressed and turn to substance use to deal with it. They then turn to crime to get the $ to pay for their drug of choice (alcohol, crack, meth, etc.)

What can we do about this? First, I completely disagree with previous posters suggesting that we should have guns to protect ourselves in these situations. That would never work and would only lead to more unnecessary deaths.

We can get more involved with politics and learn about, organize, and voice our opinions about policies that impact our economy, mental health, and criminal justice system. Immediately, we can put pressure on our elected officials to get us out of Iraq, NOW! This is the most immediate way to start to improve our economy. Also, we can continue to conserve our energy consumption and spend less $ on consumer products. That will force changes in our economy (as we have seen the last 2 days).

It's not hopeless, but we have to be aware and willing to do the work to make things better.

Peace.
Jerry

Caledonia, MI

#16 Jul 17, 2008
I can't imagine trying to run with a pair of nylons over my head. I'm sure he or she didn't get far before ditching the nylons. There might be DNA evidence in them if they can find them. Although they may have been stolen also. Probably the perputators mother or sister's nylon.
tsingr

Saint Charles, IL

#17 Jul 17, 2008
this story was fabricated to bring attention to his restaurant.
Jerry

Caledonia, MI

#18 Jul 17, 2008
Oh I'm sure that will help his business telling people there is a moron hiding in his bushes waiting to rob people.
tsingr wrote:
this story was fabricated to bring attention to his restaurant.

“michigan weather?!?”

Since: Apr 08

middleville mi

#19 Jul 17, 2008
A Mother wrote:
i dont know how to shoot one eather so u are not the only one

“michigan weather?!?”

middleville mi

#20 Jul 17, 2008
Dutch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There should be a background check and a waiting period on all new nylon sales. You should also be required to have a permit to wear them on your head.
lol..or just put a limit on how many ppl can buy at once

“michigan weather?!?”

middleville mi

#21 Jul 17, 2008
at work we have to walk out together for saft reasons and we all leave at the same time.if some 1 is having car probs no 1 leaves.i walk to work so they dont leave until im over by the ice ceam place
wow

Holland, MI

#22 Jul 17, 2008
Another Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
We can get more involved with politics and learn about, organize, and voice our opinions about policies that impact our economy, mental health, and criminal justice system. Immediately, we can put pressure on our elected officials to get us out of Iraq, NOW!.
Peace.
If that isn't liberal i dont know what is...I'll remember to talk politics with the next idiot that trys to rob me. he may laugh so hard at how screwed up that is I might get away. As far as pulling out of Iraq, well where are all the returning soldiers going to work and what happens to all the jobs made through military contracts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will Mattawan ever get broadband high speed int... (Oct '07) Mar 24 Resident 41
News What's white privilege? Dozens attend Kalamazoo... Mar 19 Richard Start 1
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Mar 15 NinjaKittyTrist 801
News Dig In: Earth Fare cafe offers tasty options of... Mar 9 jstrong196 1
Michael E. Guernsey KZ8O (Oct '07) Mar 5 Fred Roll 40
Hardcore Gang Bang coming soon... (Aug '14) Mar 5 Archie Bunker 3
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi (Mar '14) Feb '15 Shill 27
Portage Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Portage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]