Hoosier Cabinet info

Posted in the Portage Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of296
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Walker Tx Ranger

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 25, 2007
 
I just bought a cabinet, when sanding the top scrolly wood, there was a 1/2 cir. red and then 3 lines inside, black, what kind of cabinet is this, someone pleasssse tell me. Any info is appreciated
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 9, 2007
 
While I don't recognize the label you are describing (and I know the Hoosier brand very well)following is a list of the main cabinet makers who made Hoosier STYLE cabinets. I suggest you look at pictures on the internet to find something that looks similar. Also there is a book about Indiana cabinets. Hope this helps.

List of Manufacturers
Hoosier - New Castle, Indiana
Sellers - Elwood, Indiana
Napanee - Nappanee, Indiana (Coppes Bros. & Zook)
McDougall - Frankfort, Indiana
Greencastle - Greencastle, Indiana
Diamond - Shelbyville, Indiana (C.F. Schmoe)
Ideal - Vincennes, Indiana
Boone - Lebanon, Indiana
Wilson - Grand Rapids, Michigan (sold by Sears)
Marsh - High Point, North Carolina (Marsh Furniture Company)
Cardinalsfan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 14, 2007
 
WOW wrote:
While I don't recognize the label you are describing (and I know the Hoosier brand very well)following is a list of the main cabinet makers who made Hoosier STYLE cabinets. I suggest you look at pictures on the internet to find something that looks similar. Also there is a book about Indiana cabinets. Hope this helps.
List of Manufacturers
Hoosier - New Castle, Indiana
Sellers - Elwood, Indiana
Napanee - Nappanee, Indiana (Coppes Bros. & Zook)
McDougall - Frankfort, Indiana
Greencastle - Greencastle, Indiana
Diamond - Shelbyville, Indiana (C.F. Schmoe)
Ideal - Vincennes, Indiana
Boone - Lebanon, Indiana
Wilson - Grand Rapids, Michigan (sold by Sears)
Marsh - High Point, North Carolina (Marsh Furniture Company)
Thank you, I have searched the library.... not a one like mine, It may a White because some one wrote white on the back, however, that could've been white for paint...... Thanks for info
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 14, 2007
 
Well, Hoosier did make a model they called "White Beauty" but the label doesn't sound familiar nor did it have a scroll top on that model. Can you describe it more? What do the knobs look like? Is it a single door at the bottom with drawers or two doors? Are there drawers at the top?
tabitha vosseller

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 19, 2007
 
my husband has just aquired his grandmothers hoosier . we are trying to find out more about this piece. the top piece has 1 single cupoard and a double door cupboard w/ sugar and flour bins. there is 2 sliding panels below theese. ours hasa white work board . then the bottom piece has 1 cupbpard on the left and 3 drawers on the right. i have been looking at many pictures online, and haent found any that resemble ours. any help would be appreciated. please send replys to vossellertab@aol.com thank you *i also have some pictures if that will help*
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 19, 2007
 
Hoosier made a lot of models. If the white work top is porcelain that will help date it to around 1920 or later. If the floor bin takes half of the upper shelf instead of all the way to the top that is after 1914. The kind of knobs make a difference,etc. so add a little more description. Some of the knobs are dated. Reproduction catalogs are sold on ebay, many reproduction parts can be found on the internet. Several books are available and it is important to stay as close as you can to the original when restoring but it is acceptable to replace deteriorating wood. There are lots of pictures on the internet so I would just surf the net including ebay to look at pictures to start with. My grandmothers cabinet had knobs dated 1910 and I was lucky to find the exact old ones with the same date on ebay but I did have to send them all off for replateing. Each knob now is worth about $50
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 19, 2007
 
If yours has a porcelain top with a single door on the left side without a drawer above it (only drawers beside it) it would be one of the earlier porcelain top models. Also there should be a pull out cutting/bread board above the door. It is possible that you may have some of the 1910 dated knobs but the cabinet would be closer to 1920.
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 19, 2007
 
tabitha vosseller wrote:
my husband has just aquired his grandmothers hoosier . we are trying to find out more about this piece. the top piece has 1 single cupoard and a double door cupboard w/ sugar and flour bins. there is 2 sliding panels below theese. ours hasa white work board . then the bottom piece has 1 cupbpard on the left and 3 drawers on the right. i have been looking at many pictures online, and haent found any that resemble ours. any help would be appreciated. please send replys to vossellertab@aol.com thank you *i also have some pictures if that will help*
I was also assuming that you were right and yours is an actual Hoosier brand cabinet but many other brands such as "Seller" had the same configuration you describe so the first step is to make sure yours is actually a Hoosier.
Cardinalsfan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 21, 2007
 
WOW wrote:
Well, Hoosier did make a model they called "White Beauty" but the label doesn't sound familiar nor did it have a scroll top on that model. Can you describe it more? What do the knobs look like? Is it a single door at the bottom with drawers or two doors? Are there drawers at the top?
There is a flour sifter, two side cabinet door, a big door on the bottom, a rolling thing in the middle, the 2 drawers, and the bread thing on the bottom, kinda scrolling wood on the very top, decal was red and black
Cardinalsfan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 21, 2007
 
WOW wrote:
If yours has a porcelain top with a single door on the left side without a drawer above it (only drawers beside it) it would be one of the earlier porcelain top models. Also there should be a pull out cutting/bread board above the door. It is possible that you may have some of the 1910 dated knobs but the cabinet would be closer to 1920.
Thre are no knobs, only handles no anything but White written on the back, that could be for the color or the make..... can't find out much thanks for info
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 21, 2007
 
TEX Ranger- I can not figure out the decal you uncovered. Boone cabinets had a round label but not red that I can find. The arrangement of the cabinet is classic for hoosier, Seller's or Boone. The fact that it has handles (and I am assuming you mean drawer pulls not lever handles which would be earlier) I suspect it may be closer to a 1930 model. Anyway, sorry can't help more but here is an interesting link for you to view a nice restoration to inspire you, also it recommends two books that are good and sources for parts to help you make repairs especially the tambor door (the roll door). Hope it helps.

http://www.myoldattic.com/klearfront.html
Walker Tx Ranger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 24, 2007
 
WOW wrote:
TEX Ranger- I can not figure out the decal you uncovered. Boone cabinets had a round label but not red that I can find. The arrangement of the cabinet is classic for hoosier, Seller's or Boone. The fact that it has handles (and I am assuming you mean drawer pulls not lever handles which would be earlier) I suspect it may be closer to a 1930 model. Anyway, sorry can't help more but here is an interesting link for you to view a nice restoration to inspire you, also it recommends two books that are good and sources for parts to help you make repairs especially the tambor door (the roll door). Hope it helps.
http://www.myoldattic.com/klearfront.html
i HAVE seen your web site before, that is very impressive. We had one when I was a kid when we lived in Hobart, I have never seen the art deco decal on one before. I will have to send an e mail to ya.
Linnea

Woodbine, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 5, 2007
 
Walker Tx Ranger wrote:
I just bought a cabinet, when sanding the top scrolly wood, there was a 1/2 cir. red and then 3 lines inside, black, what kind of cabinet is this, someone pleasssse tell me. Any info is appreciated
Can you be more specific in the design. The design on my cupboard is also red and black but is on the doors. It is circular in the middle with lines going down. Is there a way to send a picture? On the back is W.E.
Becca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 7, 2007
 
Purchased at an auction, a desk type cabinet with 3 drawers on the right side. The bottom drawer is a bread box. One drawer above the opening has 3 partitions (for silver ware?).On the left leg is a steel bracket with a hole in it. We think the bracket was for a stool. It also has a white porcelain top. Any information would be helpful. We are guessing maybe a Boone cabinet, but can't find a picture on the internet.
Becca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 7, 2007
 
Purchased at an auction, a desk type cabinet with 3 drawers on the right side. The bottom drawer is a bread box. One drawer above the opening has 3 partitions (for silver ware?).On the left leg is a steel bracket with a hole in it. We think the bracket was for a stool. It also has a white porcelain top. Any information would be helpful. We are guessing maybe a Boone cabinet, but can't find a picture on the internet. It has 2 cutting boards. One has a red knob and the drawers have metal handles with worn red paint.
WOW

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 7, 2007
 
Becca wrote:
Purchased at an auction, a desk type cabinet with 3 drawers on the right side. The bottom drawer is a bread box. One drawer above the opening has 3 partitions (for silver ware?).On the left leg is a steel bracket with a hole in it. We think the bracket was for a stool. It also has a white porcelain top. Any information would be helpful. We are guessing maybe a Boone cabinet, but can't find a picture on the internet. It has 2 cutting boards. One has a red knob and the drawers have metal handles with worn red paint.
The steel bracket COULD have been for a stool but sometimes they would mount a meat grinder or an apple peeler on a metal bracket like you describe. You need to search the different types of cabinets (brands I listed before). The configuration is not unique so it could be several brands and I would purchase the book "Indiana Cabinets" or look on eBay listings at Hoosier cabinets to see examples (also a good place to find parts)

If I was going to guess from the scant info you gave- I would guess it is a Kitchen-maid (precursor of Kitchen Aid) cabinet.
Linnea

Woodbine, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 13, 2007
 
Update on my "hoosier". I found it was manufactured by Chittenden and Eastman Co. in 1939 and purchased in 1940. It was manufactured in Burlington, IA.
Anne

Sedro Woolley, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 14, 2007
 
purchased a "hoosier aprrox 13 yrs ago while living in AR. Would like to know what brand/model , circa it is as I can't find any identifying "labels". It is white (thin coat)w/ porcelain pull out counter. Top has flour bin with door in middle, glass doors on either side on cabinets having one shelf each. middle section has a roll top containg flour sifter. Bottom section contains one middle drawer with bread drawer liner and cover, there is a small drawer on each side above each cabinet. Cabinet on left side has a wire shelf. Cabinet on right side has no shelf. All doors/drawers have plain metal disc knobs.
Walker Tx Ranger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 17, 2007
 
Well, the 1/2 cir. is in the middle of the scrolly wood, it was red with black lines in it 3 and then one going across the middle of them, like and H only one more line, the tag on this says Memphis furn. co., we live in MO. the lines on the side of the sifter and the bottom are up and down black with a red line at the top. I saw some thing close on ebay, was not exactly like mine, this was a grandmas cab to a woman who is 70. So it has to be early 1900's.
has a sifter and now is completely redone and very, pretty. Just can find the decals for the cabinet.
Walker Tx Ranger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 17, 2007
 
Anne wrote:
purchased a "hoosier aprrox 13 yrs ago while living in AR. Would like to know what brand/model , circa it is as I can't find any identifying "labels". It is white (thin coat)w/ porcelain pull out counter. Top has flour bin with door in middle, glass doors on either side on cabinets having one shelf each. middle section has a roll top containg flour sifter. Bottom section contains one middle drawer with bread drawer liner and cover, there is a small drawer on each side above each cabinet. Cabinet on left side has a wire shelf. Cabinet on right side has no shelf. All doors/drawers have plain metal disc knobs.
can you send a pic?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of296
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Portage Discussions

Search the Portage Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Wed Bounty 1,284
Is South Haven Indiana a good place to purchase... (Dec '09) Apr 5 20 years 28
Yost teacher Maria Rodriguez dead, victim of ap... (Sep '09) Apr 2 Tony Glancy 4
(Rusty) Russell Robert Book 1960-2003 Mar 25 Truthseeker 1
Hobart family facing disorderly conduct charges... (Feb '08) Mar 20 Actually intelligent 9
costos de triturador usadas colombia Mar '14 crusher-news 1
Mike Ewing & Teresa Chellmi Mar '14 Lol 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Portage Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Portage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••