Drag strip debated in NW Indiana

Drag strip debated in NW Indiana

There are 55 comments on the Indystar.com story from Nov 28, 2005, titled Drag strip debated in NW Indiana. In it, Indystar.com reports that:

Plans to reopen a drag strip in northwest Indiana have been met with enthusiasm from race fans, but residents worry about increased traffic and noise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indystar.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DeeDee

United States

#42 Mar 5, 2010
It is ashame that every raceway in this area has to be shut down because of the selfish attitude of homeowners! Most of these tracks were there before the homes,so build somewhere else people.Because of these people Northwest Indiana has not many places to go to enjoy sports like car racing.We have near o places to enjoy anything.
Leon williams

United States

#43 Mar 24, 2010
Old school in Newer times if you have ever been to Gary Indiana back in the 60's - 80's they need something big like drag racing to come back to this town make it safe keep it clean and drug free and this will be a big boost to Garys economy.with everything else closing in the city maybe we can have some fun before we all pass on.
Mark ---Indianapolis

Indianapolis, IN

#44 Apr 5, 2010
I remember going to US30 with my brother when I was a kid. That place and that place only, is what cemented me into drag racing forever.
Sadly, I don't forsee US30 ever coming back. And, sadly, it's all the douche bags that race on the highway and on the street that are making it happen. That and there's more immediate money in it for the developer to build a bunch of houses that will stay empty in this down economy.
People with money don't appear to have any sense of nostalgia these days. Philanthropy may not be dead, but it's on life-support. So, farewell US30, hello some dumb-ass strip mall or HOA subdivision with no yards and tight living conditions.
NW Indiana is going to hell in a handbasket quicker than the Snake could make 1320ft disappear, which is why I now live 8 miles from IRP (excuse me: O'Reilly Raceway Park).
neal

United States

#45 May 12, 2010
well this is a different time and day where all we have to do is police the area as much as posible and we need to get some of these people of the of the street thats doing alot of illegal street racing in the area and that is a good historic site that brings back alot of good memories.
neal

United States

#46 May 12, 2010
If atlanta could have 3 drag strips 30 min outside the city limits why cant we and it sounds very sad about this track being closed, just read about it on lost indian web site its sad enough to make you cry.
Brian

Warden, WA

#48 Jun 23, 2010
I have fond memories of that track. Saw some great racing.
In so far as the residents nearby...the cardinal rule in buying property is to KNOW what the zoning potential is in your neighborhood. If there is potential for a racetrack in your backyard, don't be surprised by the sound of NitroMethane racers on a Sunday afternoon, just set up a lawnchair and enjoy the show...
I don't forsee US30 ever returning, but it is fun to dream.
Stan

Springfield, IL

#49 Jun 24, 2010
A new drag strip doesn't have to be at the original US 30 location. I say shut down the underused Gary International Airport on the weekends during the summer, and have some great drag racing out there!
BILLY

Dolton, IL

#50 Aug 3, 2011
Geena wrote:
There's a great idea. The US30 cooridor is already congested with mall traffic and the FIP's going to the water park. Now we need the noise of some duche bags w/ 1000HP cars screaming up and down a 1/4 mile strip. Thank you, no. Good riddence to the times of beer bottles in the yards of the people who live there on Clay St. and having to put up with the drunks speeding up and down the neighboring roads.
The Dragstrip was there first. Why the hell would you build a house around a dragstrip.
Chicago Mike

Mokena, IL

#51 Dec 10, 2012
69 SS Nova racers son wrote:
I would invest $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000.00 Dollars to remake reinvent and rebuild the US30 Dragstrip
. If you are serious about investing in a new drag strip in the area, please get in touch with me at : flashpointmedia.com because we have been approved for a new track in Gary! Dec. 2012. Chicago Mike.
diesel73power

Hebron, IN

#52 Jun 7, 2013
fordman wrote:
<quoted text> I don't agree with youre comment young kids need a place to burn off steam and racing in the street isn't the safest place unless want to enjoy a funeral of a loved killed in an accident from some street racers
Are you kidding me genna what about the douche bags racing on the public streets or up and down 30 causing accidents to the inecent drivers I dont drag race nor can I afford it but I would much rather have a place kids and adults to go and show off whst their cars have safely rather then up and dow the roads. That dragstrip was there way before the houses and subdivisions if you dont like the noise dont buy or build there. Thats as bad as building or moving next to an airport then complaining about the planes
megan

United States

#54 Jun 9, 2013
megan wrote:
I would like to see it revived. I live in green acres (the neighborhood literally a ditch west of the track. We have kids cut through the lawns to sneak back there and fuck around. The only concern I have is that people would park in our subdivision and walk through to avoid paying. Our neighbor used to race there when it opened. He bought his house because it was so close to the track. He said that our neighborhood was always filled with cars with people sneaking in. If they race Sat afternoons or at like 7pm I would be totally okay with that. My parents live 5 minutes from Illiana Speedway. I LOVED hearing the cars on Sat night. It was all over by 10, so its not going to be a huge inconvenience if that's how they were to do the strip. It would be a great idea for revenue to the city and something to do on the weekends (because here you have few options.. mini golf, movies, Illiana, or the water park).
Also though, my neighborhood is mostly older folks, original owners (built it 1960), so until they start moving and my generation moves in here (so far 3 houses for sale and 2 empty plots!), the renovation project will always meet resistance.
dragracer

Chicago Heights, IL

#55 Oct 14, 2013
Girl you live in California why do you care what happens in Gary, Indiana. I say yes to U.S. 30 who wouldn't want to see shake rattle and run make a pass down that track again
Roy Pizarro

United States

#56 Dec 9, 2015
On 12-10-2015 I was at the US 30 drag strip its gone no hope it's been 31years nothing done never see the strip again it's a shame
Roy Pizarro

United States

#57 Feb 11, 2016
Geena wrote:
There's a great idea. The US30 cooridor is already congested with mall traffic and the FIP's going to the water park. Now we need the noise of some duche bags w/ 1000HP cars screaming up and down a 1/4 mile strip. Thank you, no. Good riddence to the times of beer bottles in the yards of the people who live there on Clay St. and having to put up with the drunks speeding up and down the neighboring roads.
The drag strip in Hobart will never open again people don't want it the good old days are gone
strip T-s

Fort Wayne, IN

#60 Jul 3, 2016
i agree with the strip par but we do Not need drag queeens

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blowinger May 19 Sad Sack 1
Ginger Bollinger May 18 Bye Felecia 2
News Burns Harbor hopes to resolve problems at Rainb... (Mar '10) May 11 Nomen Nescio 10
Cici's Pizza - Portage Indiana (Jan '09) Apr '17 Spooky 140
News Aaron Phelps gets 15 years in prison (Mar '08) Jan '17 Ashely 38
Hoosier Cabinet info (Jul '07) Jan '17 Weaver 325
News Buzinec wants 4th term as mayor (Aug '10) Dec '16 Sal C 8

Portage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Portage Mortgages