Drag strip debated in NW Indiana

Drag strip debated in NW Indiana

There are 55 comments on the Indystar.com story from Nov 28, 2005, titled Drag strip debated in NW Indiana. In it, Indystar.com reports that:

Plans to reopen a drag strip in northwest Indiana have been met with enthusiasm from race fans, but residents worry about increased traffic and noise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indystar.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Roy Nelson

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Jan 22, 2006
What a wonderful place it was? It's going to take a lot of work to bring back this piece of history from a time when life and cars moved a little slower. It was a great place to spend a saturday night or sunday. "Hey Mabel, give me a Black Label" paid 2.50 for a car load. and for a few dollars more you could race your car.

What has changed since then. Almost every car now has a hemi, even the mini vans and trucks.

Lil, Red Wagon throwing sparks down the quarter mile on its rear wheels.

Jungle Jim, what a character. He would take time to talk to anybody.

Dandy Don "The Snake" Purdohme v.s. the Mongoose.

YES THIS TRACK NEEDS TO BE SAVED SO THE NEXT GENERATION CAN SAY THEY DID SOMETHING POSITIVE. THEY BREATHED LIFE INTO A DINOSAUR THAT COULD NOW BRING A BOOST TO THE LOCAL ECONOMY. MAY I SUGGEST THOUGH DON'T DO IT UNLESS IT CAN BE DONE WITH CLASS. I'M FOR BRINGING THE OLD DINOSAUR BACK TO LIFE BUT US 30 WAS NEVER AT THE END KNOWN FOR ITS GREAT TRACK SURFACE AND THE CARS OF TODAY NEED THAT GOOD TRACK SURFACE. OF COURSE THE METHODS OF TRACK CONSTRUUUCTION HAVE ADVANCED IN THE LAST TWENTY YEARS.

I WISH THE OWNERS LUCK AND I WOULD DEFINITELY COME TO IT'S OPENING FROM SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA I AM

ROY NELSON
why

Chicago, IL

#2 Apr 13, 2006
lets just have more drag racing on gary indiana streets...that seems to be safe enough.
HELL-BOUND

AOL

#3 Apr 22, 2006
i would love to take my old police interceptor and see what it can really do
what

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 24, 2006
what does a police interceptor do?
Geena

Mountville, PA

#5 Jun 22, 2006
There's a great idea. The US30 cooridor is already congested with mall traffic and the FIP's going to the water park. Now we need the noise of some duche bags w/ 1000HP cars screaming up and down a 1/4 mile strip. Thank you, no. Good riddence to the times of beer bottles in the yards of the people who live there on Clay St. and having to put up with the drunks speeding up and down the neighboring roads.
barry reed

AOL

#6 Sep 25, 2006
I WAS THERE ON OPENING DAY IN 1957. I WOULD LIKE TO DO THIS AGAIN. AS SOON AS WE CAN------------------
440 CID

United States

#7 Oct 7, 2006
Geena wrote:
There's a great idea. The US30 cooridor is already congested with mall traffic and the FIP's going to the water park. Now we need the noise of some duche bags w/ 1000HP cars screaming up and down a 1/4 mile strip. Thank you, no. Good riddence to the times of beer bottles in the yards of the people who live there on Clay St. and having to put up with the drunks speeding up and down the neighboring roads.
Maybe a retirement community would work
rich valparaiso

Crosby, TX

#8 Oct 27, 2006
drag racing is not for everybody alot of good memories made at that track street racing still exists bring back the track get the kids off the street
nuzo

Fenelton, PA

#9 Aug 20, 2007
Geena wrote:
I understand your feelings about the drunks. Report them to police or whatever but when you say duche bags with 1000 hp cars you are a real jerk!!! You should get a life
Patman

Michigan City, IN

#10 Dec 11, 2007
You need a dose of STFU! You have NO CLUE as to what will happen. Stop living in the past.
Geena wrote:
fordman

United States

#11 Dec 22, 2007
Geena wrote:
I don't agree with youre comment young kids need a place to burn off steam and racing in the street isn't the safest place unless want to enjoy a funeral of a loved killed in an accident from some street racers
69 SS Nova racers son

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 17, 2008
US30 dragstrip in Merrillville was a legend and landmark of NWI.Bring back the old days where every Saturday or Sunday people would go and watch people with Chevys race Fords and/or Plymouths.Those cars made Merrillville Merrillville.My dad and his friends used to race there,what if they could again?It would be the greatest thing to happen in Merrillville since forever.The heck with what the new mayor says.The people who enjoyed the track should have it back.To race their Muscles and Hemis to see who was faster.It would bring more money to the city of Merrilville to make new roads highways and parks.My dad and me would love to see his 69 Chevy SS Nova pull the wheels pop the clutch and fly down the track at 145-152mph.BRING BACK US30 DRAGSTRIP FOR THOSE WHO ENJOYED IT!
69 SS Nova racers son

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Feb 17, 2008
I would invest $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000.00 Dollars to remake reinvent and rebuild the US30 Dragstrip
Mike

Crown Point, IN

#14 Mar 8, 2008
nuzo wrote:
<quoted text>I understand your feelings about the drunks. Report them to police or whatever but when you say duche bags with 1000 hp cars you are a real jerk!!! You should get a life
YEA IT SUX WHEN SOMEONE THROWS TRASH IN YOUR YARD AND SO ON BUT TIMES HAVE CHANGED DID YOU FORGET THEY ARENT LIKE THEY WERE 70'S OR 80'S THIS IS 2008. AND YOU WILL NEVER GET RID OF DRUNKS. I USETO RACE THERE I GREW UP THERE HAVE A HIGH HP RACE CAR THAT I PLAN ON TAKING DOWN THE TRACK NOT INJURING MYSELF ON THE STREET. THATS WHY WE SHOULD REOPEN THE TRACK .
Mike

Crown Point, IN

#15 Mar 8, 2008
Geena wrote:
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THINGS BETTER IN YOUR AREA RELOCATING DOSNT WORK AND RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS ISNT THE ANSWER IT'S BEEN 24 YEARS WAKE UP.
Hemi Man

Denver, CO

#17 Sep 29, 2008
Well its about time a drag strip is reopened and not turned into another stinking HOA approved development, more and more tracks are bought and turned into stupid housing, I hope for every drag racer around who bleeds racing good luck and god bless. Denver Colorado
robert

Mount Prospect, IL

#18 Oct 1, 2008
I used to go there as a kid, would love to bring it back. Its a lot popular now then it was 30yrs. ago
jay

Benton Harbor, MI

#19 Oct 17, 2008
update, i just got word that it is most likeleyy dead. it was bought by a sub developer, in michigan. more model homes anyone?
Jeff_w

La Porte, IN

#20 Oct 27, 2008
It is kind of sad that some contractor has to buy the place just so he can build homes. My dad told me stories of his childhood when he used to go to the strip with my uncle. His stories included those of a crash or two and my favoite, the ones when my other uncle , Jim Hensley, drove his car to the track with his slicks in his trunk to race. Dad said use 30 was always a good time mostly always a friendl place. I am 18 yrs old now and would love to see the track back open, i would llove to see what my dad saw in his chilhood. Please if you have pictures or info on who bought it let me know. just visit my myspace . www.myspace.com/jwatts35 thanks a lot
Jeff_w

United States

#21 Oct 27, 2008
i take that back it is www.myspace.com/wattsy_65 thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mom and two kids STRANDED!! 2 hr Samantha from OR 2
Portage mayor elect Jim Snyder (Dec '11) 6 hr Karen Cooper-Okazaki 2
News Buzinec wants 4th term as mayor (Aug '10) Nov 30 Lori kikkert 7
Cheek Family - Hobart/Wheeler Indiana Nov 6 Rhonda 4
laura flick (Aug '11) Oct '16 Eric h 9
Hoosier Cabinet info (Jul '07) Oct '16 Enove 324
The poorly run city of Gary, Indiana (Mar '06) Oct '16 Rick14222 141

Portage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance